Match Reports Sunday 1st March

Buncrana Credit Union Cup  Quarter Finals

Clonmany Shamrocks 1

Buncrana Hearts 0 AET 

Clonmany Shamrocks caused the shock of the quarter finals when they dumped premier division Buncrana Hearts from the cup.

Switched to Castle Park it was the shamrocks who made the better start played in a difficult crossfield breeze for the teams. A Jason Devlin corner swung in beneath the bar was well cleared by Eoghan O Doherty and when the ball fell to Damien Duffy his effort was well tipped over . On 22 minutes the ball was cleared by the Hearts defence to Dean Harkin whose twenty five yards effort was also tipped over by O’Doherty. Buncrana replied and on 29 minutes good interplay between John Timlin and Aaron McDaid  on the right saw Timlins superb cross just elude Mikey Friel by inches at the back post. Clonmany had a late effort then with Mark McLaughlin finding Harkin but his shot lacked the power to trouble O’ Doherty as the half ended scoreless. Buncrana dominated the second half but failed to get the goal they needed. McDaid released Friel who raced clear but Patrick Harkin in the shamrocks goal advanced to clear. A superb run by Friel then took him into the area but a last ditch Matthew Brennan tackle saved the day. Buncrana poured on the pressure and when Timlins effort was deflected off a defender and just wide the corner came off Brennnan  and hit his own crossbar on the way over. On 71 minutes Buncrana spurned a great chance after a pinpoint Darragh O Connor cross found the unmarked Bart Wesoloski but he headed over from close range. Clonmany had a late chance with Jason Devlin driving forward and unleashing a shot which took a deflection and went just wide with O’Doherty scrambling across his goal.Clonmany started t first period of extra time well with substitute Pearse McCarron just failing to connect with Dean Harkins cross. They took the lead on 98 minutes when Mark McLaughlin latched onto a ball over the top and rounded O Doherty and despite numerous defenders in the vicinity managed to slot home. Buncrana laid siege to the Clonmany goal in the second period of extra time but failed to create  any clear chances and the Shamrocks defence well marshalled by Gareth Bradley ,Liam Hirrell and substitute Conor Bradley stood firm to advance to the semi finals.

Greencastle FC 3

Illies Celtic

In a scrappy opening half  Illies had the first chance with a Michael Coyle cross cum shot eluding Dylan Doherty in the home goal but cleared by Michael Henry.  The home side responded with Nigel McMonagle , Michael Barr and Jason Dickson all having efforts blocked before Dickson had a long range effort saved by Johnathan Noone. Illies broke midway through the half and from a Liam Grant corner Coyle headed just over.They had the best chance of the half on the half hour mark when Adrian Donaghey –Doherty broke through the offside trap but keeper Doherty cleared the danger.Greencastle replied with  their best move of the half initiated by Shea Mclaughlin who fed David Henry who in turn released McMonagle but his effort was saved by Noone. Illies almost got a perfect start to the second half when Coyle got on the end of a curling cross and beat Dylan Doherty but Gavin Harkin cleared off the line. Minutes later after a quick break Coyle fired over when well placed. Illies did take the lead on 57 minutes when Liam Grant slotted home at the back post after a Liam Doherty cross. Greencastle responded and McMonagle and Stephen Grant both fired over before Michael Barr was narrowly wide with a low shot. The equalised on 74 minutes after Dickson turned smartly inside the area and drilled past Noone from twelve yards. On 84 minutes a Gavin Rowan cross found Dickson whose header was brilliantly saved by Noone but Dickson pounced on the rebound to drill home. Illies tried to hit back but when a Paddy Doherty free was gathered by Dylan Doherty his quick clearance found Dickson who raced clear and fed McMonagle to slot home and seal their passage to the semi finals.

Dunree United 3

Cockhill Celtic 3 Cockhill win on penalties

This local derby saw Dunree the underdogs come within a whisker of causing a major shock. Cockhill took an early lead when Darragh McDermott rose high at the back post to head past John Lafferty following Mark McDaid s corner. But the home side struck back in the 18th minute after Jamie  Brosnan’s corner fell to Ryan Bradley who hammered the ball high past Liam McGonigle from six yards. They stunned the premier division side when from another corner Thomas Mulhern flicked the ball home at the front post. On the stroke of half time it got even better for Dunree after a ball into the area fell kindly for Mulhern to drill home his second of the game. Cockhill dominated the second half for long periods but found the home defence a tough nut to crack. They reduced the deficit on the hour mark when Michael Noone advanced from midfield and unleashed a powerfully struck effort low past Lafferty. They continued to press but had to wait until the 86th minute to equalise after the home defence failed to clear and Mark McDaid slotted home.Both  sides had a chance in extra time. In the first period Noone was unlucky to see his header crash off the bar. In the second period Dunre’s Dermot Graham crossed but Keelan McBride saw the ball get stuck in his feet and the chance was lost. In the shootout  Cockhill edged it by five spot kicks to four.

Strand Hotel Division One

Gleneely Colts 0


Played in adverse weather conditions during the height of storm Jorge, Gleneely started the stronger with the advantage of the wind. Adrian Duffy had the first shot from 25 yards but just went over in the opening minute . Five minutes  later, Christy McDaid twisted and turned from the edge of the box but his shot also went over the bar when well placed. On 15minutes, Keelan Hegarty put pressure on a defender to rob the ball in the box but when his shot was saved by the Aiden Lynch in the point goal   Hegartys follow up effort was also pushed behind for a corner. After half an hour QPS had their first real chance when a ball over the top from Caolan McColgan set Shay Lynch through but he shot over under pressure. Weather conditions deteriorated at the beginning of the second half with driving wind and rain which made the playing surface challenging for both teams. QPS were first to show with the wind in their backs, when a ball by Steven McHendry set Caolan McColgan free but his shot hit the side netting when well placed. Midway through the half  QPS took the lead after a long ball out of defence was allowed to bounce by the Gleneely defenders and Caolan McColgan advanced to slot the ball over the advancing Sean McGuinness into the bottom left corner. With time running out, Nathan McLaughlin collected the ball on the half way line, advanced past two defenders and shot low to the keepers left but Lynch parried well and when the rebound came out to Dylan McDaid he was challenged in the box but the penalty shout was waved away.

Inishowen Engineering Division Two  A   

Moville Res 1

Clonmany Celtic 1

Clonmany playing  with the wind opened the scoring on 13 minutes after a Dessie Doherty cross eluded the home defence for Neil O Donnell to fire past Ryan Coyle.  Moville replied with Kieran Friel in the visitors goal saving well from a Danny Murphy low ground shot. At the other end Doherty went on a fine solo run past a couple of defenders but saw his shot turned round the post by Coyle before the break.  Moville started the second period the better with Declan McGuinness seeing an effort crash off the bar before a Graeme Doherty free was tipped over the bar by Kieran Friel. The home side spurned a glorious opportunity on 66minutes when Murphy was upended in the area  but Graeme Doherty’s well struck kick was superbly tipped onto the post by Friel high to his right. Friel was in action again shortly after this when he reaced well to a header from McGuinness after a Dermot Harkin cross.Clonmany replied with Raymond McDaid finding space to unleash an effort but Coyle watched it all the way. The home side got back on terms on 74 minutes after John McGeady released Murphy who raced clear and unselfishly squared for McGuinness to slot home. Clonmany tried to hit back and a Paul McLaughlin free was straight at Coyle. Moville pushed hard in the closing stages but the visitors defence well marshalled by Philip Devlin stood firm.


Inishowen Engineering Division Two   B    

Carn Res 1

Rasheney Res 1

Carn had an earlt chance on 8 minutes  when a Paul Stevens pass down the right wing to Cian Burke who crossed for  Aaron McCarron who failed to hit the target from ten yards. Minutes later a long kick out from Kyle Harkin found Dermot Doherty who fed  Cian Burke to raceclear one on one with Roger McGilloway but shot high to the left and wide from 10 yards. But it was Rashenny who broke the deadlock on 20 minutes when a Kevin Noone corner on the left was flicked on by Mark Diver and it fell to Cormac Dillon who shot low to the corner of the net from 8 yards. Carn got an equalizer on 27 minutes after  Kyran Cantwell broke on the right wing and beat the defender and laid it off for Cian Burke who drove powerfully to the roof of the net from 15 yards. Carn went close before the break when Dion Diver broke on the right wing and passed to Cian Burke who rounded the defender and but saw his low effort well saved by McGilloway.Carn had a great chance to go ahead on 53 minutes when Dayton Cooke made a great pass from midfield to find Diver on the right wing and  he beat two defenders but saw his shot well saved by McGilloway in the Rashenny goal. On 63 minutes Carn substitute Ryan O’Donnell released Joshua Diver who crossed for Cian Burke who fired a first time effort over when well placed. Rashenny were reduced to 10 men on 78 minutes after Kevin Noone was redcarded following an altercation.They then created a late chance on 84 minutes after Callum Long broke on the right and crossed for Aidan Bambrick but he fired high and wide from twelve yards.