Match Reports Sunday 19th November

Jackie Crossan Premier Division    

Aileach FC                    1

Greencastle FC            0

Greencastle began this game at lightning pace and had Aileach under serious pressure for long periods. Their first chance of note

came on 10 minutes when Matthew Henry found Nigel McMonagle on the left and his dangerous cross was well cleared by Mark McElhinney. Minutes later  Aileach failed to clear a Gerry Gill free kick and the ball broke to Stephen Grant but the full backs well struck shot was  just too high. Greencastle were bossing things with Sean Doherty and Gerry Gill controlling midfield and driving their team forward. It was half an hour in before Aileach manufactured their first chance when Gavin Doherty found Ronan Coyle in the inside left position and he raced clear but Dylan Doherty advanced and got a vital touch to the centre forwards shot forcing the ball just wide. Before the break Gerry Gill fired in a vicious free kick which Devlin did well to tip over the bar.  Aileach were fortunate to get to the break on level terms but came out for the second half in a more positive mood and with 50 minutes on the clock Ronan Coyle used his strength to wriggle clear but as he entered the box he was denied by a fine last ditch tackle by centre half Sean McKinney. On the hour Greencastle should have opened the scoring when another fine Gerry Gill delivery from a corner found Nigel McMonagle unmarked six yards out but the wingers header cleared Peter Devlins bar. Greencastles’ wasteful finishing would come to haunt them as with 15 minutes left Gareth McGlynn found space wide on the right and fired a pinpoint cross  to the back post where Thomas McMonagle powered home a header high to the roof of the net past Doherty from six yds. Greencastle pushed  more players into attacking positions to try and salvage something from the game but some resolute defending by a packed Aileach defence denied them any clear cut chances and Aileach held out for an important three points

which sees them return to the top of the table.

Carn FC                3

QPS                      0      

The home side started well with Dermot Doherty firing in an early shot which David Bell parried well. Carn broke the deadlock when Doherty crossed for Shane Doherty to fire to the roof of the net from ten yards on 21 minutes. Shane Doherty then found Gert Dzerins who laid the ball back for Joe McKinney but he fired over the bar. The visitors first chance came when Conor Barrow advanced and found Brian McColgan but he fired just wide. Carn replied and McKinney found Shane Doherty  on the hour mark but he failed to hit the target. The point replied with Stephen McKendry feeding John McCloskey but his low effort was turned round the post by Kyle Dougal. Carn replied with Ryan Kelly feeding Ronan Doherty who released Brandon Browne inside the area but he blazed over. They increased their lead after Browne released Aaron McCarron and he rolled the ball past the advancing Bell on 84 minutes. They sealed the points in injury time after substitutes Cade Cooke and Lorcan Bradley combined for Cooke to fire to the top corner from fifteen yards.
Clonmany Shamrocks           1

Glengad United                     2

Glengad had am early chance after Seamus Doherty fired across goal and past the far post. Clonmany replied with a Ferghal Harkin free bouncing off the wall and breaking for Jason Devlin who blasted high and wide. The home side opened the scoring when Devlin played a cross field pass to Mark McLaughlin to fire low past Michael McLaughlin from ten yards. Glengad upped the tempo and Patrick McDermott crossed for Patrick Harkin to collect under pressure from Doherty. They equalised on 21 minutes when McDermott advanced on the left and pulled the ball back for John G McLaughlin to fire low to the net from twelve yards. They had another good chance when Stephen McLaughlin broke and pulled the ball back for Michael Byrne but his effort was deflected wide. Clonmany responded with Mark Mclaughlin unleashing a shot which McLaughlin saved well. At the other end Byrne dragged an effort wide from six yards when he should have hit the target. On the stroke of half time Stephen McLaughlin broke on the right but was denied by a last ditch Gary Doherty tackle. Glengad had another chance when McLaughlin pulled the ball across goal but was deflected behind by a defender.

The visitors took the lead on the hour when McLaughlin broke on the right and crossed for Seamus Doherty to fire to the bottom corner. Clonmany replied and when Steve Harkin drilled a low effort towards the bottom corner Michael McLaughlin made a brilliant save to turn the ball round the post. Glengad saw the game out for the last ten minutes to earn three points.

Illies Celtic                              1

Buncrana Hearts                   2

This was a close hard fought  local derby  and in the first half Bart Wesoloski saw an attempted chip sail just over the bar. On 35 minutes the visitors were awarded a penalty for a foul on Kieran McDaid but Johnathan Noone pulled off a superb save from Stephen McHugh’s spot kick low to his left. Buncrana were dealt  a blow when Liam McCarron was red carded for a second caution.Illies ended the half strongly and then ten minutes into the second half the home side took the lead when Dominic Coyle fired to the top corner from twenty yards after a corner was laid back to him. Illies were still on top but had few chances. Buncrana got a lifeline after McDaid broke on the right and fed Wesoloski who beat two defenders  and crossed low  into the area where it was partly cleared before being returned to Calvin Gallagher who fired to the top corner. Buncram then took the lead on 77 minutes after a free kick from McDaid on the right found Kevin O’ Loughlin squeezed the ball across goal with a diving header in off the far post. Illies threw caution to the wind in the final period but failed to create a clear chance with Buncrana dangerous  on the break.

Strand Hotel Division One

Dunree  United            0

Aileach Youths             1

The opening periods to this game was a close hard fought affair with defences on top.On the half hour Philip McGuinness broke clear but was denied by a good save from Dylan Clarke in the Aileach goal. Aileach responded and on the stroke of half time they took the lead when Stephen O Donnell collected a throw in and cut inside before despatching a twenty five yards high effort high past Philip Doherty in the home goal. Dunree had a good chance on the hour but Daniel Mclaughlin fired over when well placed. McGuinness then made room on 74 minutes to unleash an effort which Clarke parried to safety. At the other end O’Donnell was also well place but failed to hit the target for the visitors. In the final minute McGuinness advanced into the area and headed past the advancing Clarke but was cleared off the line by Kevin Wallace with the home side appealing  for a penalty after Clarke had collided with McGuinness but their appeals fell on deaf ears.

Sea Rovers                    0

Cockhill Youths            1

Rovers had the first chance when a Damien Ward free kick found Damien Harkin who fired over from eight yards. James McCloskey then crossed for Graham Morgan but he headed narrowly over the bar. Cockhill replied with a low effort from Michael Owen Doherty was well saved by Glen Watson. On 35 minutes a scramble in the Cockhill area fell to Kieran Doherty who fired over from ten yards. The final chance of the half fell to the visitors when after a free kick broke to Jack McDaid he fired narrowly over. On 58 minutes a Damien Ward corner found Morgan whose header crashed off the post for McCloskey whose rebound flashed wide. Cockhill replied and took the lead on 65 minutes when Michael Noone headed to the roof of the net from ten yards. The remainder of the game was a close fought affair with defences on top and no clear cut chances at either end.

Buncrana Res               1

Gleneely Colts              0

In  dry conditions the home side had the first chance after good work by John Timlin who crossed for Gerard Boyle but he  volleyed wide from eight yards when he should have done better. On the half hour a Harry Forshaw cross found Boyle again who headed wide from point blank range. Gleneely replied and a superb mazy run by Cory O Brien past three men before he fired just past the post from the edge of the area. Buncrana then broke the deadlock on 39 minutes  after Eddie McNamee parried a Timlin cross and Mark McFadden blasted low to the net from the edge of the area. Ten minutes after the restart a Ciaran White corner was headed just wide by Joe McLaughlin at the back post for the visitors. Midway through the half Buncrana spurned a good chance when Paul McDaid released James Adair on the right and he squared for Kevin McColgan who slotted wide from ten yards. Then on 75minutes a defensive mix up allowed McLaughlin for the Colts a clear sight of goal but Cathal McNutt smothered superbly. Another Gleneely corner found McLaughlin again and his half volley was superbly saved  by McNutt to seal the points for the league leaders.

Redcastle United                  4      

Moville Celtic                         1

After  close opening period it was Redcastle who took the lead on 22 minutes when Dean Curran crossed for Aaron Nash to head home. Moville threatened soon after when a Tony Boyce snapshot was tipped over by Michael McCole. From the resulting corner Moville

leveled when Michael McNaught drilled the ball home from twelve yards. Redcastle had the first opportunity of the second half when Ryan Coyle beat away a Brendan Murphy shot. They got back in front when Murphy controlled a Nash cross and hooked the ball past Coyle to the net.  Redcastle continued to press and increased their lead when a clever reverse pass by Murphy was met first time by Nash who swept home right footed. Sean Curran made it four one

on seventy minutes when he let fly from twenty five yards to find the top corner. Moville kept battling gamely but the best of the remaining chances fell to the home side when Coyle tipped over a Nash shot.

Inishowen Engineering Division Two  

Culdaff Res                   3

Cockhill Res                  4

This was a high scoring entertaining game played under the lights at

Caratra Park on Saturday night. Culdaff were first to threaten on 9 minutes when a Dan Mc Daid shot from twenty yards went narrowly wide. On 11 minutes an Aiden Cunningham cross from the left was headed wide by Jack O Brien before  Culdaff then  took the lead on 13 minutes when a poor clearence from the Cockhill keeper found Aiden Cunninghham and he lobbed the keeper from twenty five yards. Cockhill were level  minutes later when Adrian Mc Laughlin slotted home from eight yards following a cross from Lee Carey. Cockhill took the lead on 31 minutes when another low cross from Lee Carey was turned home from six yards by Gary Breslin. Culdaff equalised on the 40th minute when an Aiden Cunningham through ball found Jack O Brien who slipped it to Matthew

Mullarkey to score from ten yards.Cockhill regained the lead on 52 minutes when after Culdaff keeper Mullarkey saved a Tristan Donaghey penalty, Ryan Duffy slotted the rebound home. Cockhill increased their lead on 58 minutes when Culdaff keeper Mullarkey palmed a shot on to the post and Alan Fletcher shot to the net from point blank range. Culdaff pulled a goal back on 82 minutes when Jack Mc Laughlin headed  home a corner from Aiden Cunningham.

Culdaff had the Cockhill defence under pressure but they held on for a narrow victory.

Glengad  Res                1

Carrowmena FC           2

In a tightly contested first half the visitors took the lead when a ball over the top found Gordon Campbell  to fire past Ronan Lafferty. Glengad replied and when PJ McDaid crossed Mark McKinney saw his effort parried by Noone and Cathal Doherty ‘s rebound crashed off the bar. McKinney then had a free kick find Christopher McLaughlin whose effort was saved by Noone who recovered to turn Cathal Doherty’s effort round the post. Glengad dominated the second period and McKinney ran onto a ball over the top but fired into the side netting. On 57 minutes Carrowmena’s Gerard Gill fed Samuel Bredin and he squeezed the ball past Ronan Lafferty for a two nil lead. Glengad upped the tempo and PJ McDaid fired wide from point blank range. They got a goal back then when Cathal Doherty played McLaughlin in and he controlled well and slotted home from close range. They almost saved a point but a Lee Kelly effort crashed off the post in the final minute.

Redcastle Res              6

Illies Res                       1

In a very even first half both teams created chance with Alan Clarke

twice being kept out by an impressive young keeper for Illies. Mid way  through the half Redcastle lost their keeper Paul Doherty through  injury and when the game resumed it was Redcastle that looked sharper.  Redcastle took the lead when an Antonio Rea free was headed home by   Gary Kelly to give Redcastle a slender half time lead.Redcastle started bright in the second half and from a Rea corner   Emmet McConway tapped home from close range. But

Illies rallied and pulled a goal back when a mix up in the Redcastle

defence allowed Sean Devlin to tap home. Again Redcastle upped the pace and from another Rea corner Terry   McColgan headed home. Before the home side further  extended their lead when good play from Shay Davenport and   Clarke set up Rory Hirrell to side foot home.  From yet another Rea corner Emmet McConway made it five , And with   minutes to go and Illies pushing on Rory Hirrell broke from half way   to round the keeper and complete the scoring .

Rasheney  Res              0

Dunree Res                  1

On 7 minutes David McLaughlin broke on the right and crossed but David Eccles advanced to clear before Damien Friel could pounce. At the other end a TJ McKinley effort was beaten away by Johnathan Toland . Rasheney replied and when Ciaran Dillon cut in from the left he fired just past the far post as Eccles advanced. Dunree were unlucky twice in five minutes when firstly a Martin McDermott free crashed off the bar before on the half hour a long range Jason Spence effort dipped and also came back off the bar. McDermott then had a free well dealt with by Toland before the interval. Two minutes into the second period Rasheney’s Matthew Duffy had an effort turned round the post by Eccles and from the corner Dillon saw his effort blocked. But Dunree took the lead on 49 minutes when Bryce Fullerton fired a twenty yards effort to the top corner . On 64 minutes McDermott had another effort from distance well saved by Toland. Rasheney had the final chance but Friel’s twenty five  yards free was well held by Eccles.

Aileach Youths             2

Greencastle Res          2

After a cautious opening, Greencastle took the lead on 10 minutes when Gavin Rowan fired a free kick from 25 yard over the wall and into the corner past Dylan Clarke in the home goal.  Clarke was to the rescue minutes later when a fast break from Greencastle resulted in Ronan Doherty racing down the right and squaring the ball to Downey whose low shot to the bottom corner was brilliantly tipped around the post.  Aileach made a few tactical switches and got more into the game with Paddy Curran almost on the end of a few through balls.  The second half started with Aileach in the ascendency and Greencastle content to attack on the break.  By the hour Aileach were knocking on the door but the Greencastle defence was

restricting them to long range efforts.  Aileach got back on term in the 70th minute when a Pol McGrory was contested by Bouvaird in the Greencastle goal and Stephen Tabbitt before the ball ran into the path of Benny Hegarty to tap home from six yards.  Greencastle almost regained the lead when Conor Gillen got free in the box and his shot across Clarke rebounded off the post and back into his grateful arms .  Aileach deservedly took the lead on 80 minutes when Paddy Curran broke down the right and crossed for Hegarty

to slide the ball into the net from ten yards for his second of the game. Greencastle grabbed a equaliser in the 96th minute when Gillen got free on the right and fired a shot from twenty yards over Clarkes head into the roof of the net.