Match Reports Sunday 19th December

Sunday 19th December 

Strand Hotel Division One  

Dunree United 

Culdaff  FC

Culdaff kept  their slim title hopes alive with this comprehensive win at St Egneys Park on Sunday.

The visitors took an early led after Bryan McCandless cut the ball back for Jack McLaughlin to neatly finish to the corner. Midway through the half a defensive mix up allowed McCandless  to double their lead. And Culdaff made it three nil when Aiden Cunningham sent keeper Harrington the wrong  way from a penalty. Dunree began the second half on the front foot and after good work by Eoin Coombes he cut the ball back to Jamie Brosnan but he scuffed his effort when well placed. Culdaff replied and ended the game as a contest on 65 minutes when McCandless crossed for Jack O Brien to tuck the ball away at the back post. They completed the scoring when Barry Fiztpatrick headed home O’Brien’s corner to make it five nil.

Inishowen Engineering Division Two   

Aileach Youth 2

Rasheney  FC 4

The home side got off to a perfect start  in the 3rd minute when Dalann McGrorys cross to the back post was slid home by Dermot Doherty. But the visitors were level within minutes after Conor McDaid threaded a ball through the home defence for David McLaughlin to fire low past Dylan Clarke in the home goal. Rasheney then took the lead in similar fashion when McDaid raced onto a ball over the top and rounded the advancing Clarke to slot the ball home. Aileach tried to hit back before the interval but a Kevin Wallace header from a corner was well tipped over by Damien Friel. Aileach equalised on 55 minutes after McGrorys cross cum shot deceived Friel and went in off the crossbar. With the game in the balance the visitors struck with two goals in a five minute spell to seal the points. In the 76th minute a good cross from the right by Shane Cregan was slotted home at the back post by McLaughlin to put Rasheney three two ahead. Then McLaughlin cut in from the right and squared for McDaid to hammer low past Clarke from twelve yards. Aileach pressed in the final ten minutes and Tom Doherty had an effort saved by Friel who also tipped a late header from Wallace over the bar.

Cockhill Res 3

Buncrana Res 0

In an even first half with few clear cut chances it was Cockhill who opened the scoring when the ball broke to Sean McColgan on the edge of the box and he showed great composure to slot the ball home into the far bottom corner past Buncrana keeper, Oran McBride. Buncrana showed their intent at the start of the second half and pinned Cockhill back early on and nearly equalised when a 25 yard Gerard Boyle free kick came off the inside of the post and Cockhill cleared the danger. Shortly after though Cockhill regained a foothold in the match and midway through the second half extended their advantage when Jay Bradley found himself free inside the box from a Luke Bradley flick on and he held his nerve to finish first time past Oran McBride. With just under 10 minutes to go Cockhill sealed the win with a quick counter, a great through ball from Conor Graham put Jay Bradley through on goal and he made no mistake under pressure with his second of the match to make it three nil.


Rasheney Res 1

Illies Res 0

Although they created numerous chances and enjoyed the major share of possession, the visitors will wonder why they did not get something from this game. However, the home side defended doggedly throughout and capitalised on one of their own chances to claim all three points. The first chance fell to the unmarked Alan Fletcher who was well off target from Shane Devlin’s hooked cross from the left while at the other end Joey Holland’s shot from outside the box was deflected just wide. On the quarter hour Fletcher pushed the ball out wide on the right to Nathan Mc Laughlin and he, in turn, delivered an inviting cross across the face of goal but when it reached Devlin he sidefooted the ball wide of the left hand post when he should at least have hit the target. Minutes later the same player took down a ball on the 18 yard line but blazed wildly over. Then a poor clearance from home keeper Roger Mc Gilloway presented Illies with a great opportunity to open the scoring but Mc Gilloway redeemed himself when Paul Devlin’s close range attempt was brilliantly blocked by the keeper’s foot. What turned out to be the decisive score arrived on 28 minutes. An opening presented itself inside the area to Michael Mooney but amid claims for a penalty when tackled by a defender, the ball broke to Aiden Hirrell who, in turn, laid the ball back to Mooney and he was able to find the net from 12 yards. The visitors pushed hard for an equaliser at the start of the second half with both Mc Laughlin having a shot deflected wide and Devlin hooking over when well placed. Mid way through the half the home side’s Davin Mc Laughlin found himself in a good position just outside the area and managed to get his shot away but the effort was off target. At the other end substitute Gavin Doherty was sent away clear along the left and his delivery into the centre was palmed away at full stretch by Mc Gilloway as an inrushing forward was about to pounce while another sub Dominick Coyle fired over from an acute angle. Deep into injury time Illies came close to an equaliser but Mc Gilloway came to the rescue again with a great save from another sub Liam O’ Connor.

Sea Rovers 3

Moville Res

Rovers will be kicking themselves that they failed to get anything from this game as they led three one  before the visitors mounted a stunning fight back.  Rovers opened the scoring on 5 minutes after the Moville defence failed to clear a corner and Conor Gallagher fired past John Harkin in the Moville goal.On 17 minutes Damien Ward converted a penalty awarded for a handball in the area. Moville replied and Evan Hudner fired an effort over the bar before they reduced the deficit when the ball broke to Daniel McFadden inside the area and he fired low to the corer past Ben Collins. But rovers replied immediately and made it three one after Daniel Gallagher evaded two challenges on his way into the area before slotting low past Harkin. On the stroke of half time Ward crossed for  Daniel Gallagher but Harkin made a fine stop to leave it three one at the interval. Moville reduced the deficit again in the 55th minute after Daniel McFadden fired high past Collins from fifteen yards. Moville were on top and equalised on the hour mark when Declan Lynchs  cross was poked home by substitute Mateus Indyka. It was all Moville at this stage and they took the lead on 77minutes after McFaddens cross was headed home by another substitute Danny Murphy.  Murphy then sealed the points when he raced clear of the home defence before slotting past Collins.