Match Reports Sunday 18th November

Jackie Crossan Premier Division 

Aileach FC                         3

Illies Celtic                         0

Aileach started the brighter of the two teams but had to wait until 20 minutes before they took the lead when Darren McMonagle made a

powerful run through the centre and laid the ball into the path of Dermot Doherty who controlled the ball and fired past Johnny Noone in the Illies goal.  Ilies had a great chance to get level when Liam Grant was upeneded in the box but Paddy Doherty fired the spot kick wide of the post.  Illies came close again when Dominic Coyle fired a shot from 25 yards that shook the crossbar.  Aileach doubled their advantage minutes later when Dermot Doherty crossed from the right into the path of Anthony Doherty who slotted past Noone.  On the stroke of half time Gavin Doherty finished the game as a contest when his brother Dermot squared the ball into his path and he slotted into the bottom corner.  The second half was a more tepid affair with only half chances at either end, Illies came closest when a Paul Doherty shot skimming the bar on its way over.


Carn FC                            2

Redcastle Utd                   1

The home side moved in front after 6 minutes when Christopher Diver delivered into Cade Cooke whose shot rebounded off the bar to Brandon Browne and he drilled home from 12 yards. Then Michael O’ Donnell  released Aaron Mc Carron who in turn found Browne but he blazed over when well placed. Carn continued to have the upper hand and a one-two between Diver and Cooke played in Dermot Doherty but his attempt was pushed over by Mc Cole. Shortly afterwards, a Michael Mc Dermott pass found Diver who beat two defenders but his shot from just outside the area was just over. Mid way through the opening half Redcastle started to come more into the game. Darren Harkin found Darragh Mc Conway along the left. He advanced through the home defence but his powerful shot from 18 yards was just to the left and wide. And Mc Conway was out of luck again when he accepted a square pass from Alan Clarke but he shot wide. Close to half time Carn came close to doubling the lead when Ryan Kelly got his head to Cooke’s corner but his effort was just wide. Further chances came their way after the interval. Build up play involving Shane Doherty and Diver saw Dermot Doherty’s shot saved by Mc Cole and Shane Doherty, accepting a pass from Brown, drove wide from 10 yards. Half way through Redcastle equalised. An Evan Craig delivery found Aiden Mc Laughlin and he lobbed keeper Fergal Doherty. On 70 minutes Conor Doherty’s pass found Browne and he blasted home from inside the box to restore Carn’s lead. Browne then had a succession of chances to complete his hat trick. He accepted Conor Susie’s pass but fired wide – then he failed to convert a spot kick after he himself had been upended in the area and right at the death he shot wide from 12 yards.

Glengad 2-1 Buncrana

Glengad had the first chance when Stephen Mc Laughlin broughta fine save from Paul Mc Daidin the Buncrana net, J.G. Mc Laughlin then played in Terence Doherty but his effort was wide of the upright, Buncrana’s Kieran Mc Daid had a shot held by Mularkey in the home net, Glengad took the lead on 28min when S. Mc Laughlins cross into the box was not cleared and Michael Byrne riffled in from 12 yards, Glengad then made it 2-0 on 44min when a great run by James Mc Kinney his cross into the box was blocked by O’ Loughlin if fell to Conor Barrow who crossed for S. Mc Laughlin to score, Glengad should have added a third before half time but Barrow headed wide from close range, in the second half Buncrana’s Liam Mc Carron found Kieran Mc Daid his effort was held by Mularkey, Mc daid then squares for Mc Hugh his shot shaves the post, Buncrana pulled a goal back on 86 min when Aaron Mc Daid passed to Kieran Mc Daid and he lobbed the Keeper from 18 yards, the final action sae S. Mc Laughlin pick out Christy Mc Laughlin he broke clear but Mc Daid denied him with a brilliant save

Greencastle 2-0   Culdaff

Greencastle created the first chance when Gavin Harkins effort was cleared by Eugene Mc Laughlin, Eamon Donnelly crossed for Jamie Mc Cormick his shot was blocked, then Donnelly shot over when well placed, Mc Cormick then picked out Harkin but his effort was off target, Culdaff’s Bryan Mc Candless then broke and crossed for Aiden Cunnigham who’s header brought a fine save from Dillon Doherty in the home goal, then Doherty saved with his legs from Cunnigham Christy Hegarty@ shot crashed off the crossbar and Gillen headed the rebound over, Mc Cormick then had a long range effort blocked, Culdaff’s Cunnigham then had 30yd shot cleared by Henry, Stephen Grant skipped past 2 players and was brought down Donnelly drove the free over, Harkin then picked out Christy Hegarty who brought a fine save from Darragh Mc Laughlin, Mc Candless then shot wide and Mc Cormicks 25 yard effort sailed past the upright. Into the second half and Mc Cormick had a good effort saved by Mc Laughlin who then saved a shot from Ciaran Moore and then tipped a Moore header over the bar, Mc Laughlin was kept busy dealing with efforts from Donnelly and Mc Cormick, Culdaff’s Thomas O’ Brien had a effort cleared by D.J. Canavan and James Henry shot wide at the other end, a long ball ot of Culdaff’s defence found Cunnigham his snap shot was held by Doherty, Greencastle took the lead on 77 min when Mc Cormick crossed for Christy Hegarty to turn and fire high to the top corner of the net, Cunnigham brought another fine save from Doherty in the home goal, then Doherty dealt with efforts from Culdaff’s Niall Gordon and Noel Mc Laughlin before Greencastle made the points safe with another Hegarty goal

Strand Hotel Division One  

QPS                                   5

Buncrana Res                   0


A superb first-half performance steered Quigleys Point Swifts to victory over Buncrana Hearts in Muff on Sunday.

The home side were lively from the first whistle, playing at a high pace and forcing the visitors to defend deep. Shaun Downey opened the scoring for Swifts on ten minutes, finishing into the top corner from eight yards after a lovely one-two with John McCloskey. Two minutes later their lead was doubled when Downey made a brilliant run down the right before finding Bradley Callaghan in the box, and the midfielder set himself up with a good touch before angling a fine effort into the right corner.The Swifts ramped up the pressure on a shell-shocked Buncrana and a quick-fire double from Fionnbharr Harley doubled their lead again. The first, on twenty-three minutes, was a goal of real quality. McCloskey held the ball up well under pressure before finding Harley on the edge of the Buncrana box, and the midfielder curled a beautiful twenty-five yard effort into the top right corner. A minute later, Harley and McCloskey combined well again in the Buncrana box before Harley slotted the ball into the bottom corner past keeper Alan Friel.The hosts continued to play at an impressive tempo with Buncrana struggling to make any impact on the game. On thirty-nine minutes, McCloskey made it five when he was played through from a high ball before rounding an onrushing Friel and tapping in. McCloskey had two more chances to extend the lead before half-time, denied first by a good save from Friel before being denied by the post on the stroke of half-time.To their credit, Buncrana started the second half much better, and on fifty-one minutes Michael Doherty should have scored but dragged his effort wide from eight yards after being played through by a superb cross-field pass. Both sides continued to push but were chances were few and far between, with Swifts seemingly content to sit on their comfortable advantage and Buncrana showing valiant effort. With five minutes left, Ben Bradley came close to grabbing a consolation goal for the visitors but his effort was tipped on to the crossbar by substitute goalkeeper Liam Lyons. Caolan McColgan then almost made it six for the Swifts but Friel did well to tip his shot over the bar. In the dying seconds Dale Kerr’s long free-kick almost crept in but Lyons was alert to clear the danger and secure a clean sheet for the home side.



Rasheney FC               4

Aileach Res                  1  

Rasheney enjoyed the upper hand throughout although Aileach were first to show when Stephen Doherty latched onto a pass from Sean Mc Hugh but he shot wide. The home side moved ahead after 8 minutes when a cross from Darren Coyle fell to Ryan Doherty and he fired home from ten yards. Coyle then got in on the scoring act himself when he powered home Damien Friel’s corner. And they came very close again after the half hour mark when Doherty’s header hit the post before being gathered by the keeper. Just after the resumption Aileach passed up chances to get back into the match. Doherty should have scored when well placed, home keeper Kieran Friel saved a Mc Hugh shot and Aaran Harkin put in a saving tackle when Darren Bradley threatened. On 76 minutes Rasheney made it 3 – 0 when Coyle flicked on John Mc Laughlin’s cross for Tyler Mc Bride to score and Mc Bride scored again when he ran on to a Mc Laughlin over the top ball and found the net. At the other end O’Donnell had an effort pushed wide by Friel but the away side did get a consolation near the end when Doherty ran onto Bradley’s delivery to drive home.

Dunree Utd                   2  

Sea Rovers                    2


Both teams remain at the bottom of the table as it ended all square in St. Egney’s Park. In an uneventful first half the highlight came on 35 minutes when Thomas Mulhern turned sharply in the box and laid the ball off to Peter O’ Neill who tapped to the net from close to goal. The second goal arrived on the hour mark and saw the home double its lead. Mulhern again was involved when he squared the ball to Daryl Moran who in turn laid off to Liam Baldrick and he drove home low to the bottom corner from 15 yards. The visiting side got themselves back in the game with a quarter of an hour remaining. Oisin Mc Gonigle advanced into the Dunree half, cut inside and let fly from 35 yards with his strike finding the top corner to make it 2 – 1. With 5 minutes of the match to go Sea Rovers equalised when a free kick was headed home by William Doherty. The home side came closest to a winning goal near the end when Moran’s shot clipped the bar.

Moville Celtic 6

Gleneely Colts 2

The home side got off to the best start after 2 minutes when a Charlie Gill chip to the back post was headed back to Finn McLaughlin by Marty Smith letting McLaughlin tap in from 5 yards. Gleneely almost replied minutes later when Keelan Hegarty’s cross was tipped over by  Moville keeper Coyle. Visiting keeper Ben Miller did well to push Caolan Doherty’s goal bound free around the post while John Doherty’s tackle in the box denied Moville’s Nathan Harkin. On the half hour Moville went 2 up with Harkin’s angled free from 25 yards beating Miller at the near post. Two goals in 3 minutes had Moville in the clear at 4 nil with Michael McNaught converting after neat interplay with Conor Lafferty and McNaught again reacting quickly to Shane Canning’s free kick to flick past the outrushing Miller. Gleneely got a lifeline in the 40th minute after Billy McCann was brought down in the box with Dylan McDaid scoring from the penalty spot.
Moville got a fifth 2 minutes after the restart with Harkin’s angled chip over Miller after beating a couple of Gleneely defenders. The visitors made it 5-2 in the 48th minute with a low drive from Billy McCann after latching on to a Coyle clearance under pressure from Nathan McLaughlin. Minutes later McCann hit the side netting when well placed. McNaught got his hattrick and Moville’s 6th with a neat give and go with Lafferty allowing him to fire low into the bottom left corner.

Cockhill  Youths 2-1 Glengad Reserves

Cockhill made the better Start to this game which was played at Illies pitch and on 5min Keegan Hegarty brought a fine save from Michael Mc Laughlin in the Glengad Net then Mc Laughlin made a fine double save firstly from David Laird and then Darragh Mc Dermott, Cockhill lost possession in midfield on 19min and Glengad broke and  Garry Kelly played a great pass to Joe Doherty who slotted low past Mick Cadwell in the home net, the second half was adull affair until the 73rd min when Darragh Mc Dermott blazed over the bar when he should have done better, Cockhill sealed all three points on 85min when David Laird and M. Mc Daid combined to set up Shaun Anthony Doherty to fire past Mc Laughlin


Inishowen Engineering Division Two 

Redcastle Res                4  

Dunree Res                    1


In the early stages of the match Dunree created opportunities and Michael Grant twice tested home goalkeeper Michael Mc Cole but he reacted well on both occasions – pushing a low shot and then a header following a free away for corners. The home side took the lead half way through the opening period when Ronan Hoy scored from the edge of the box after being set up by Brendan Murphy. Terry Mc Colgan was then denied at the expense of a corner. Dunree equalised when Reece Davenport brought down Eamon Fullerton inside the area with Martin Mc Dermott converting from the spot. However Davenport redeemed himself somewhat just before the interval when his shot from 20 yards found the net. After the break Dunree pressed strongly and Fullerton was out of luck twice and following an attack along the right, Neil Moran sent a good shot just past the post. But the home side made it 3 – 1 when Hoy scored his second after again being set up by Murphy and the scoring was complete when Ben Faulkner found the net from close range after a goalmouth scramble.


Illies Res                          1

Greencastle Res              3


Greencastle had a dream start and they moved ahead in the first minute when a poor back pass was seized upon by Joe Doherty and the veteran striker was able to tap home. The home side tried to get back on terms and created openings of their own. On 10 minutes Keith Elliot Mc Kinney got on the end of a Shane Devlin cross but his header failed to hit the target. Then, on the half hour mark, another Devlin cross was delivered into Liam O’ Connor but his header was wide. The away team doubled its advantage on the stroke of half time. Newly re-signed Ronan Doherty crossed in from the right wing and Shaun Cavanagh headed home. Illies exerted pressure early in the second half. A good opening fell to Ronan Hegarty but his effort only found the side net when he should have done better while shortly afterwards Joe Mc Daid blazed over. They did eventually pull one back when Martin Donaghey’s good work on the left set up John Pio Donaghey and he scored from 12 yards. However, Greencastle restored their two goal lead in the final minute when Joe Doherty was fouled in the box and Daniel Rowan drove home from the spot.


Aileach Youth            0

QPS Res                     0


The top two served a great contest with a draw a fair result at the end.  Aileach started the brighter but struggled to find a way past the QPS rearguard.  Pol McGrory came as close as anyone in the opening exchanges with the shot from 25 yards that was well saved by David Bell in the QPS goal.  On twenty minutes, Aileach got a great chance when Paddy Curran was too sharp for the QPS defender and he brought him down for a penalty.  Curran dusted himself down and fired his shot to the bottom right corner but Bell guessed correctly for a fantastic save, the rebound bounced back to Curran but Bell got up smartly to block the follow up.  On 30 minutes, Mark Bell released Joe Johnstone who looked like he was about to round Clarke in the home goal but Clarke stretched out a left hand to gather the ball.  Aileach held the edge over the next ten minutes with Ryan Wilson and Curran both off target.  Right on half time Mark Bell advanced from midfield and fired a shot across Clarke which hit the post before rebounding back to an Aileach defender to clear.  Into the second half and a Pol McGrory pass set Darren Bradley away down the right but he fired past the post when well placed.  In the final twenty minutes both teams went at it hammer and tong to find the winner. Firstly the elusive Johnston made a great run and pulled a great ball back but Matthew McDermott cleared the danger.  Then it was Aileach’s turn when Aaron Doherty released Ryan Wilson who slid the ball past Bell but also just past the far post.  QPS came back at it again when a corner eluded everyone except Mickey Morrison who cleared off the line at the back post.  The point had the final chance of the game when Bell’s shot was charged down by Stephen O’Donnell and Jack McConalogue’s follow up was headed over the bar by Mervin McGowan.  Both teams should be commended for a great hard fought game.

Clonmany Res 7-2 Culdaff Res

Culdaff had the benefit of a strong breeze in the first half and took the lead in the 14th minute when Damien Duffy turned his marker and crossed low into the 6 yard line for Ben Curly to slot home. Clonmany’s first chance fell to Nathan McKinney 4 minutes later but his shot went narrowly wide. In the 31st Caolan Farrell was set up by Jason Devlin but his shot was deflected wide. Clonmany equalised in the 42nd minute when Dessie Doherty played a ball through for Jason Devlin to run on to and he slotted low past Pauric O’Donnell. Clonmany turned the game around when Jason Devlin turned Christy Harkin’s cross into the net on the stroke of half time. Clonmany had the breeze in the second half and added three quick goals at the start of the second half. Dessie Doherty scored first in the 50th minute with a shot from 25 yards to the top right corner of the goals. Two minutes later Mickey Devlin’s corner from the left fell in the 6 yard box for Christy Harkin to fire home from close range. Within 2 minutes Clonmany’s Dessie Doherty had scored the fifth with another 30 yard spectacular to the top left hand corner of the net. Clonmany made it 6-1 in the 66th minute when Jason Devlin was sent clear to fire low past Pauric O’Donnell for his hat trick .Culdaff’s Jack McLaughlin tested Liam McGonigle in the 75th minute with a shot from 18 yards which Liam parried away low to his left hand side and gathered the loose ball. Culdaff pulled a goal back in the 82nd minute when Jack McLaughlin beat a Clonmany defender to the ball and scored from a tight angle. Clonmany made it 7-2 in the 85th minute when Mickey Devlin’s scored with a free kick from 25 yards.


Moville Reserves 4-6 Carn Reserves

Carn took the lead on 5mi when Dayton Cooke slotted past Maurice Mc Geady in the Moville goal, Moville equalised on 7 min when Danny Murphy found Pearse Doherty as he drove low to the bottom corner, Carn broke on 12 min Christy Mc Daid finding Cooke to slot home to regain the lead, Carn then went 3-1 before Niall Mc Guinnees made it 4-1 when he headed to the top corner, Graheme Doherty pulled a goal back for Moville on the stroke of half time, but right from the start of the second half Carn made it 5-2 when Moville were caught sleeping and Christy Mc Daid scored, Moville pulled one bach When Mc Colgan found Jack Ferry and he fired home, Carn made it 6-3 on 65 min when Cooke completed his hat trick, Moville got a late consolation goal when David Walker rifled a shot to the top corner

Cockhill Reserves 4 -2 Carrowmena

An entertaining and well fought match was played in good conditions in The Warren, Carrowmena. Cockhill Reserves came out on top winning 4-2. Cockhill started the brighter of the 2 sides and went ahead after 15 minutes. Ryan McDaid delivered a deep crops to the back post and Conor McDaid was on hand to head home from 5 yards.

Conor McDaid scored his 2nd on 20 minutes after good work down the right by Tristan Doherty. Half time 2-0

Carrowmena started the 2nd half well looking to make amends for the 1st half display and got off to the perfect start.

Sean McGranaghan finished coolly from 8 yards when a Drew Crumlish crossing was not cleared.

Cockhill restored their 2 goal advantage when Mark Gillespie converted a penalty sending Brian Houghton the wrong way after after Paddy McLaughlin was upended in the box.

Carrowmena replied again scoring on 65 minutes, John Lynch rising above Gary Robinson in the Cockhill goals to head home from a Bob Kane corner.

Carrowmena pushed to get the equaliser but could find a way through.

The match was ended as a contest in the 90th minute when Daithi Grant sent in a free kick from the left hand side and the ball evaded everyone, and came off the post. Ryan Doherty had the simple task of tapping in the loose ball from close range.

Carrowmena suffered a further blow with John Paul Thompson being sent off for a second yellow card.