Match Reports Sunday 18th February

Knockalla Caravans Senior Cup

Bonagee  United               4

Clonmany Shamrocks      1

Played under lights on Saturday night in Letterkenny,Clonmany started brightly and had the first shot on goals in the 5th minute when Jason

Devlin’s effort was well saved by  Paddy Quigley in the Bonagee nets. In the 7th minute Clonmany pressure won a corner which Michael Devlin took from the right hand side. His delivery found Steve Harkin at the back post and the ball was threaded back out to Jason Devlin at the edge of the box but his shot was

always rising and cleared the crossbar.Bonagee gradually started to wrestle control of the game back and went close to an opener in the 26th minute

when Oran Hilley was sent clear but Paddy Harkin came out quickly to block his shot and concede a corner.Bonagee took the lead from a similar quick

break in the 28th minute when Michael Doherty was sent through and although forced wide by Paddy Harkin he got to the byline and drilled a low cross into the six yard line where Jamie Lynagh fired home from close range.Clonmany continued to threaten but conceded a second on the cusp of

half-time when an attack broke down on the edge of the Bonagee box and one quick pass sent Matty Harkin on a swift counter attack where he drew Paddy

Harkin out of the Clonmany goals before dispatching a low shot into the bottom right hand corner of the net.Two quick goals within 10 minutes of

the restart sealed the match for Bonagee.In the 53rd minute Bonagee were awarded a free-kick on the left hand side which was delivered into

the box and half cleared by Clonmany to the edge of the area  where it was headed back into the box by Caillin McLaughlin and slotted home by Bonagee’s Dean Larkin.Matty Harkin scored his second of the night in the 55th minute whenhe sped free from the half-way line into the area before

drilling a low shot back across Paddy Harkin into the opposite corner of the goal.Clonmany continued to create chances and went close to pulling one back in the 64th minute when Steve Harkin sent in a curling cross from the right hand side of the area which was met by the inrushing Paddy Doherty but his header went just wide.Clonmany scored a consolation goal in the 85th minute when Paddy Doherty ran through into the area to receive Jason Devlin’s incisive pass and shot to the bottom left hand corner of  PaddyQuigley’s nets.They almost scored a second in the final minute when Jason Devlin swept in a cross from the right hand side but Steve Harkin’s header just cleared the crossbar.

Castlefin Celtic                  0

Glengad United                 5

In an uneventful first half there were no chances and defences on top  but Glengad upped the tempo in the second half taking the lead when Stephen McLaughlin crossed for Seamus Doherty to slot home from close range. Ten minutes later they made it two nil  after good work by Adam Byrne who pulled the ball back for Doherty to slot home his second from twelve yards. After a corner was not cleared Patrick McDermott fired low to the net to make it three nil past Chris O Donnell before on 75 minutes a James Mc Kinney cross was looped over O Donnell by Terence Doherty. They completed the scoring on 86 minutes when John G McLaughlin beat the offside trap and drew O Donnell before squaring for McDermott to slot home.

Greencastle FC                  4

Kildrum Tigers                    0

The visitors had the first chance when a Kevin McHugh effort was well saved by Dillon Doherty. But the home side took the lead on 11 minutes when a long clearance was headed clear by keeper Sean Friel to Christy Hegarty who superbly lobbed the ball into the net from forty yards. Ten minutes later Shaun Doherty evaded three challenges and curled an effort just over the bar. At the other end McHugh broke into the area but saw his effort deflected behind for a corner.  Greencastle  replied with Michael henry crossing from the right for brother Matthew whose effort came off the outside of the post. Then on 36 minutes a Shaun Doherty corner fell to Sean McKinney whose effort was blocked and went behind for a corner. The last chance of the half saw Kildrums Kevin O Donnell beat the offside trap and see his effort tipped round the post. Minutes into the second half McHugh played in William Lynch  but Shaun Doherty robbed him superbly and set up an attack which ended with Nigel McMonagle breaking and firing low to the bottom corner. On 55 minutes Shaun Doherty fired a free kick narrowly over the bar before they made it three nil with Matthew Henry fired a twenty five yards free to the top corner Kildrum  replied with a Ryan Coll free well held by Doherty in the home goal .

Home substitute David Henry played a superb long pass to McMonagle who advanced into the area and saw his first effort blocked but fired the rebound to the bottom corner. Shane Brown had a late effort but Dillon Doherty saved well.

Buncrana Hearts               3

Derry City  Res                   2

In an excellent result for the Hearts it was the visitors who started  the better  with Nathan Boyle firing wide after a good cross from Logue on the left. Derry took the lead midway through the half when after a defensive error Evan Tweed pounced to drill home. Minutes later a long range effort from Logue was well tipped over the bar by Seamus Houghton. A great ball then from Adrian Delap found  Boyle but he flashed an effort just wide. On the restart a long range effort from Delap was turned round the post by Houghton. Somewhat against the run of play the home side got back on terms when Mark McFadden ‘s cross found Bart Wesoloski who headed home from ten yards. The home side stunned the visitors then when after an excellent run and cross from Kieran McDaid  found Wesoloski he finished superbly to the net. Derry rallied and with four minutes remaining a long ball over the top sent Boyle clear to drill past Houghton. But with time running out the home side snatched

Victory when Gary Duffy rose highest to head home a Kieran McDaid free and send the home side into the next round.

Jackie Crossan Premier Division

Illies Celtic                          2

Culdaff FC                            4

In the opening ten minutes the visitors  Brendan McLaughlin had an attempted chip tipped over by the back tracking Johnathan Noone. Illies responded with Liam Grant releasing John Campebll but his effort was saved by Daniel Mullarkey. Culdaff opened the scoring on 29 minutes when great work by Noel Mclaughlin retrieved the ball and his cross was slotted home by brother Brendan from twelve yards. Illies had a great chance to level when Paddy Doherty fed Dominic Coyle on the edge of the area  but he drove wide with only the keeper to beat. Culdaff then increased their lead on the stroke of half time when Michael Coyle fed Darren Mullarkey on the left and his deep cross was slotted home by the unmarked Dillon Ruddy.           In stoppage time Brendan Mclaughlin ran onto a quick  free from Ruddy to slot home  and make it three. On 55 minutes it was four nil in  replica fashion when a quick free from Ruddy sent McLaughlin clear again and he calmly slotted past Noone to complete his hat trick. Illies rallied and reduced the deficit on 71 minutes when a Gavin Doherty cross shot dipped over Mullarkey to the roof of the net. At the other end Mclaughlin was denied another goal by a superb save from Noone. Illies pressed with Liam Grant shooting over the bar when well placed  before Coyle headed wide from a good position. They scored a second when Liam Grant robbed a defender inside the area and slotted low to the corner.

Strand Hotel First Division

Rasheney FC                       3

Cockhill Youths                  2

On 15 minutes Rasheney ‘s John McLaughlin crossed from the right for Matthew Mclaughlin who controlled but saw his effort blocked at the expense of a corner by Sean Parker. From the corner John Grant had a header cleared off the line by the visitors Christopher Duffy. Cockhill then took the lead on 21 minutes after a Shay McLaughlin cross was only half cleared and Adam McLaughlin hooked home while on the ground past Kieran Friel from six yards.

On the half hour Grant released Declan McLaughlin on the left whose high cross found Anthony Doherty whose powerful header was tipped over by Parker. Five minutes later Doherty headed a goal kick on into the path of John McLaughlin who tucked the ball low past the outrushing Parker from twenty five yards. On 41minutes Cockhill replied with a Kevin McDaid effort tipped over by Friel. Two minutes before the break Rasheney took the lead when Doherty won possession before releasing Mc Laughlin who cut in and fired low past Parker from sixteen yards. Cockhill had the first effort on the restart when McDaid had a fine effort which crashed off the bar before being cleared. Rasheney then made it three one on 70 minutes when  Christy Ivers fed Matthew McLaughlin on the left and his cross was sidefooted home by Jack Mclaughlin. Minutes later a looping Shay McLaughlin cross deceived Friel and ended up in the net. Rasheney had the last chance in injury time when John McLaughlin was denied a hat trick by a fine save by Parker.

Dunree United                   0

Redcastle  United             2

After a tight close fought opening period  the home side had strong claims for a penalty waved away after Philip McGuinness had been impeded by the keeper as he attempted to round him. But the visitors took the lead on 35 minutes when the home defence failed to deal with a long ball and Aaron Nash fired home from close range. Dunree replied with Neil Moran feeding Liam Baldrick who fired wide from six yards when well placed. On the stroke of half time a William Doherty cross found Evan Barry but he sidefooted over the bar from ten yards.  Dunree pushed hard on the restart with Daniel McLaughlin and Darryl Moran seeing efforts well saved by Michael McCole. Shaun Doherty then had a dangerous free kick headed away from the danger area and from that Redcastle broke clear with Nash racing clear amid appeals from the home side before h slotted low past Shaun Doherty.

Clonmany Res                    1

Gleneely Colts                   2

​​​​​This match was played in Gleneely and Clonmany settled well early on with A Mark McLaughlin effort which just cleared Adrian Duffy’s bar after 15

minutes. Clonmany took the lead in the 31st minute when Gavin McDaid’sthrough ball sent Mark McLaughlin through on goal and he lashed home to the

roof of the net past the advancing Adrian Duffy .Gleneely’sbest chances in the first half came from free-kicks around the edge of theClonmany box but the ball got carried away by the strong breeze.Clonmany almost doubled their lead at the start of the second half when Pearse McCarron blocked down an Adrian Duffy clearance but Kevin Doherty cleared the danger.Kevin Harkin saw a half volley clip the outside of the post in the 57th minute from Nathan McKinney’s corner but Gleneely survived and gradually overwhelmed the Clonmany midfield and started to dictate the game.In the 61st minute Nathan McLaughlin drove into the box from the left wing and was unlucky to see his shot slip past the far post with Liam McGonigle beaten. Enda Folan also went close with a free-kick from the edge of the box within a few minutes.Their equaliser came after a free-kick from half-way caused some panic in the Clonmany defence and Billy McCann capitalised to slip home a low shot.With the match drawing to a close Gleneely grabbed the winner in the 86th minute when Corey O’Brien ran through into the Clonmany box chasing down a long through ball and beat

Liam McGonigle to the ball to steer it into the empty goals and clinch the points.

Inishowen Engineering Division Two    A       

Glengad Res                       8

Cockhill  Res                       0

Glengad started well and on 10 minutes PJ McDaid was denied by a superb point blank save from Gary Robinson and Brian Doherty’s follow up was cleared off the line. On 22 minutes Glengad took the lead after a Christopher Mclaughlin free was parried by Robinson for McDaid to react well and slot home. Minutes later Gary Kelly was denied by another fine save before on the half hour a McDaid cross was slotted home at the back post by Joe Doherty from six yards. Cockhill responded and Gary Breslin  fired inches over the bar from the edge of the area. Good work then by John G McDermott on the right saw his cross slotted home by McDaid from six yards to make it three nil. On the stroke of half time Paul McGonigle’s free came off the wall to McLaughlin whose twenty yards effort flew into the top corner for a four nil interval lead. Minutes into the second period a Cathal Doherty cross was inadvertently headed past Robinson by an unfortunate defender. Cockhill tried to respond and a Mark Gillespie free found Breslin whose header was smothered at the foot of the post by Michael McLaughlin. At the other end McDaid advanced on the right and his low cross was sidefooted home by Kelly from eight yards.   A superb Cathal Doherty through ball found  McDaid who rounded the defender and slotted home to complete his hat trick. The final goal came when Brian Doherty ‘s ball over the top released Kelly who finished well from close range.

Culdaff Res                          2         

Aileach Youths                   1

In the 10th minute the visitors Darren McMonagle free found Paddy Curran and

He squared across where Benny McCarthy somehow failed to force the ball home. Five minutes later the home sides Matt McDaid delivered a free into the area where the unmarked Cathal McGrenaghan glanced a header low into the bottom corner. On the half hour McMonagle had a good strike well saved by Darragh McLaughlin low to his right. Before the break McDaid played a ball over the top to Matthew McLarkey who controlled and beat two defenders before sliding the ball across to McGrenaghan who chipped the advancing Ryan Fox  to make it two nil. Aileach started the second half  well and reduced the deficit  on 52 minutes when a deep delivery from a corner found the unmarked McCarthy to head home. On 71 minutes Curran broke clear in a one on one but McLaughlin forced him wide and the chance was lost. Aileach kept pressing and  were awarded a penalty for handball in the last minute but McMonagle blazed over from the spot.


Moville Res                         0

Redcastle Res                    2

The first half was a tight affair with few chances until the 16the minute when a Ryan McColgan chipped visiting keeper Paul Doherty but saw his effort crash off the post. Redcastle broke the deadlock on 22 minutes when Gavin Grant broke on the left and advanced into the area before shooting low past Ryan Coyle from ten yards. Moville responded with Pearse Doherty and PJ Barr both having efforts saved by Doherty before the break. Redcastle doubled their lead early in the second half when Evan Craig tapped home after a defensive  mix up. Moville got on top but Conor Lafferty, Ciaran Diver and Graeme Doherty all had efforts saved as Redcastle  defended stoutly to see out the game.

Inishowen Engineering Division Two    B                

Carn  Res                              2

Dunree Res                         0

The visitors had an early chance when Peter O Neill collected  a TJ McKinley throw in and fired a powerful twenty yards effort just wide. Carn replied and Michael McDermott had an effort which clipped the crossbar and went over the top. The home side broke the deadlock on 23 minutes when Conor Doherty and Tiernan Coyne combined to feed Christopher Diver who fired high past Roger McGilloway. Just after the half hour Kevin McLaughlin fed McDermott whose low effort from twenty five yards flashed just wide. On 38 minutes the home side increased their lead when McDermott despatched a penalty high past McGilloway after Jamie Brosnan  had handled on the line which resulted in a red card. Carn continued on top after the restart with Coyne firing wide from ten yards. At the other end a Jason Spence run found McKinley whose effort was well saved by Kyle Dougal in the home goal. Carn replied with Diver laying the ball off to McDermott but again McGilloway was equal to it. On 81 minutes Darragh Deery crossed for  Coyne who fired wide from twenty yards. The final chance for the visitors came when Spence fed James Doherty who in turn fed Marty McDermott but he blazed over from ten yards. In injury time Carn’s Diver raced onto a Niall McGuinness pass but with McGilloway to beat he blazed over.

Greencastle Res                2         

Illies Res                              2

Illies started well and on 5 minutes a Liam O Connor free was well cleared by the home defence before Shane Devlin had another free held by Fergus Kerr. At the other end Conor Gillen fired narrowly wide before Gavin Rowan fired a twenty five yards free just over and Tom Houston also fired over from distance.  From a corner  the ball fell to Rowan but again he fired over the bar before Gillen was denied by a fine save from Kevin Gallagher. Greencastle had another chance when Eugene O Donnell robbed a defender and fed Gillen whose effort was saved again by Gallagher who then saved another effort from Rowan on the stroke of half time. Greencastle started the second period well and Gillen was unlucky to see his effort crash off the bar. The home side s pressure told when Jude Harkin saw his initial effort parried by Gallagher but reacted well to fire home the rebound from twelve yards. Greencastle continued to press but failed to  create clear chances until the 70th minute when Mark Browne fed Harkin who crossed for Gillen to control on his chest and fire a half volley to the roof of the net. Illies hit back with Devlin firing wide from the edge of the area before on 77minutes Devlin turned well and saw his effort take a slight deflection on its way past Kerr. The visitors equalised on 82 minutes when Ronan Hegarty broke clear and crossed for Anthony McGonigle to head home from six yards. The last chance fell to the home side but a Stephen Henry effort was well saved by Gallagher.

Carrowmena  FC                4

Rasheney Res                      0

The homeside started well and forced a number of corners which ended with Finbar McCallion heading over when well placed. On 18 minutes Declan McDermott broke and crossed but again McCallion headed over. Midway through the half Rasheney replied with Corny McCole splitting the home defence for Paul McConalogue but  he fired over the bar. Minutes later McCole had a well struck free saved by Michael Noone. On the half hour McCallion beat a defender and fed Raymond Campbell  who skipped past two tackles before unleashing a brilliant twenty yards effort to the top corner past Ciaran O Neill. Minutes later Bredin crossed for Gerard Gill but  again he blazed over.  On 35 minutes a Ryan McDermott free was turned round the post by O Neill. The home side increased their lead when confusion in the visitors area after a corner  allowed Dean McGeoghaghan score with a clever back heel.  Rasheney had the first effort after the break when an Eamon Reidy  free was well saved by Noone    to his right. Carrowmena replied and increased their lead when Bredin  blasted a penalty straight down the middle after McGeoghaghan had been fouled in the area. Carrowmena continued on top  and on 85 minutes Mark Doherty beat a defender and crossed for Art Parkinson whose cross was parried by O Neill for  Killian Dougal to hammer home the loose ball.