Match Reports Sunday 17th September

Charlie O’Donnell  Cup
Carn FC 2
Cockhill Celtic Youth 1
Played on last Tuesday night in Rasheney Cockhill were first to show when Ronan Mc Laughlin advanced and cut in to beat two defenders along the bye line but his delivery into the centre was cleared. At the other end when Joe Mc Kinney got forward on the right his long range effort was held by Caldwell. Then Christopher Doherty headed clear out of the Carn defence after Jack Mc Daid crossed from the left wing. Carn continued to press and after Dermot Doherty’s low angled shot was just wide of the base of the right hand upright they opened the scoring on 38 minutes when Matthew Mc Laughlin went on a run through the Cockhill defence and his shot from outside the box found the bottom corner. Right on half time Mc Kinney cut in from the right – his low ground shot being hacked clear. Cockhill equalised in the opening minutes of the second half when Ronan Mc Laughlin capitalised on slackness in the Carn defence and although his initial shot was saved by Mc Callion he fired home the rebound. Carn threatened when Mc Laughlin’s pull back from the bye line found no takers and they regained the lead when Lorcan Bradley’s long diagonal pass found sub Declan Mc Gonagle in space wide on the left. He had time to advance and curl the ball over the keeper and in at the back post for a superb goal. And the lead could have been increased but several forwards were thwarted in front of goal following a low Shane Doherty left wing cross into the area. Cockhill tried to get back on terms with Darragh Mc Dermott lob going close and Shane Doherty dipping shot from 30 yards just over but Carn held out to advance to the next round.

FAI Junior Cup
Arranmore United 0
Greencastle FC 6
Greencastle dominated for the majority of this game played on the Island on Saturday. After a quiet opening they broke the deadlock on 27 minutes when Sean McKinney fed Michael Barr whose curling ball over the top found Christy Hegarty to fire a half volley to the bottom corner. Hegarty went close again but his attempted chip was tipped over the bar by Francie Parley .Before the break the home side replied when Garvin McGlanaghy advanced but Dillon Doherty smothered. In the second period Joe Doherty crossed but Hegarty fired over the top  before Matthew Henry had an effort deflected over the top. On 55 minutes Barr evaded three tackles and when his effort was parried Hegarty was on hand to slot home. Michael Henry then had an effort  well saved  by Parley before at the other end Earley headed over when well placed. Hegarty then completed his hat trick tapping home after a Michael Henry effort was parried. It soon became four when a Michael Barr effort was deflected home by a defender. Matthew Henry then crossed for Nigel McMonagle to slot home before the same  player slotted home after a Joe Doherty effort was well parried.
Glengad United 3
Culdaff FC 1
The first action came on 13 minutes after good build up involving Adam Byrne and Seamus Doherty saw the latter release Patrick McDermott whose claims for a penalty waved away. Culdaff responded and took the lead when Brendan Mclaughlin released Conor Keddy who sped away to fire high past Gerard Crossan. Glengad had a half chance when a cross shot from Jason Doherty deceived Darragh Mclaughlin and crashed off the crossbar. Glengad equalised on 35 minutes when Adam Byrne broke forward to release Seamus Doherty who chipped McLaughlin from sixteen yards for a superb finish. The home side spurned a great chance from a similar position but Doherty took a touch too many allowing McLaughlin to smother. Culdaff began the second period well and Brendan McLaughlin beat two defenders on the left but his dangerous cross eluded all. Glengad took the lead on 55 minutes when Stephen McLaughlin and James McKinney combined for the latter to find Patrick McDermott on the edge of the six yards box and he fired high to the roof of the net. Culdaff battled well and when Conor Farren released McLaughlin  his effort saw Crossan produce a brilliant left handed save. At the other end Seamus Doherty was well placed but drove straight at McLaughlin. But on the stroke of full time  the same player made amends when he fired past McLaughlin from inside the area.

Illies Celtic 3 (AET)
In good conditions the point opened the scoring on 5 minutes after Josh Boyle fed Conor Barrow on the left and he crossed for Adam Harkin to stab home from six yards. But Illies responded and equalised two minutes later when Gavin Doherty advanced up the left and crossed for Adrian Donaghey-Doherty unmarked at the back post to slot low past David Bell. Illies took the lead on 12 minutes  when Kevin McGonagle robbed a defender and rounded Bell to slot home. The pointhad a good chance then when Stephen McKendrie released Harkin but Johnathan Noone was quick off his line to block before Bradley Callaghan crossed from the right for Barrow to fire just wide from fifteen yards. Midway through the half  Barrow again crossed from the left for Harkin who headed at Noone. On the stroke of half time Michael Nicholas fired narrowly over the bar. Four minutes into the second period the home side were level again after Nicholas fed Harkin whose superb first touch allowed him to slip the ball past Noone. Conor Barrow then cut in from the left and had an effort tipped over by Noone before his cross found Nicholas who failed to hit the target. Illies then replied with Gavin Doherty firing over before after a Paddy Doherty corner John Campbell saw his header crash off the bar. The point broke immediately to the other end and when Josh Boyle was upended Barrow saw his spot kick brilliantly saved  by Noone. The point had another chance late on after substitute Shane McCreadie broke into the area but from a tight angle fired wide. The deciding moment came  two minutes into the second period when hesitancy in the home defence allowed Paddy Doherty to drill the ball low past David Bell from ten yards.

Glaslough Villa 0
Carn FC 2
Carn made the trip to Monaghan on Saturday and came away with a well deserved two nil victory. In the opening minute Michael O Donnell  found Dermot Doherty whose attempted lob was well saved by John Kehoe. Shane Doherty then fired just wide from the edge of the area before Dermot Doherty had an effort parried by Kehoe.The pressure told midway through the first half after a Shane Doherty corner was not cleared allowing Declan McGonigle to slot home. The home side had a chance before the interval when a great run and cross by Stephen Mulligan was headed wide by Ealon Freanor. Carn started the second period well with Joseph McKinney denied by Kehoe before McGonigle fired wide. On 70 minutes Mc Kinney fired inches past the post after a corner broke to him. Carn sealed the tie when substitutes Brandon  Browne crossed for fellow substitute Cade  Cooke to slam the ball home.
Jackie Crossan Premier Division
Aileach FC 3
Clonmany Shamrocks 2​​​​​
The first chance fell to Aileach after 5 minutes when Ronan Coyle squared for Anthony Doherty but he pulled his effort from
the edge of the box just wide. With 10 minutes on the clock Gavin Doherty found Ronan Coyle outside the area but Paddy Harkin was
able to gather his first time lob. Clonmany then took the lead somewhat against the run of play when Jason Devlin glanced a left wing free high past Peter Devlin in the Aileach goal. On the half hour a long diagonal ball by Darren McMonagle found the inrushing Dermot Doherty but his side foot volley flew over the bar. On the stroke of half time Darren McMonagle cut in from the right but could only find the side netting with a shot from a narrow angle. Aileach began the second half well and good work down the right between Dermot and Anthony Doherty resulted in Thomas McMonagle
firing over at the back post. On 70minutes Thomas McMonagle found Anthony Doherty but Harkin got a strong right hand to his angled shot allowing the ball to be cleared. Two minutes later Aileach pressure finally told when Ronan Coyle played a sublime through ball for Anthony Doherty’s run and he rounded Harkin before finishing to the net. Within 3 minutes Aileach were ahead when a free kick wide right caused panic in the Clonmany defence Cathal McElhinney retrieved the ball for Gavin Doherty whose first time effort came back off a post but he drove the re-bound high past Harkin from six yards. Clonmany responded and drew level with 3 minutes left when a near post corner was deflected to his own net by Cathal McElhinney. Deep into injury time Aileach grabbed a dramatic winner when a Gavin Doherty free kick from 25 yard took a slight deflection wrong footing Harkin and ending up in the net.
Strand Hotel Division One
Dunree United 2
Sea Rovers  1
There was a very tight opening to this game with the result that the first chance only came on 21 minutes when Gary Doherty for Rovers headed over from a good position. Dunree replied before the interval  when Ryan Bradley fed Shaun Doherty but his attempted lob drifted over. The home side took the lead on the hour mark when Evan Barry turned and fired a superb effort to the top corner from twenty yards. But minutes later at the other end the home defence failed to clear and Gary Doherty headed home. But the home side struck for the winner on 84 minutes after a Liam Baldrick free into the area was poked home by Dermot Doherty from close range.
Gleneely Colts  3
Cockhill  Youth 2
Gleneely began well and both Cory O Brien and Billy McCann were off target with good chances. They took the lead on 22 minutes when  O’Brien played a one two with McCann on the edge of the area before slotting low past Gary Robinson. Dylan McDaid then fired a twenty yards free in off the underside of the bar to make it two on the half hour. Cockhill responded with Ronan McLaughlin firing just wide from fifteen yards before on the stroke of half time O ‘Brien went past three defenders but fired straight at Robinson. Cockhill got back into the game on 50 minutes when Shay McLaughlin converted at the back post after some defensive hesitancy. Within a minute McLaughlin converted from the penalty spot to level the game after brother Ronan was upended. Ronan McLaughlin was then denied by a fine smothering save from Adrian Duffy. The colts regained the lead on 80 minutes when O Brien ran onto a return ball from Joe McLaughlin before poking past Robinson. Cockhill threw everything at the home side but failed to salvage a point as the Colts held on.
Aileach Res 1
Rasheney FC     0
Aileach got a dream start to this game when they broke the deadlock on 7 minutes after Gregory Doherty’s free kick was powerfully headed home by Neil McElhinney. Minutes later Kieran McGrory grazed the crossbar with a snapshot. Rasheney responded and when Matthew McLaughlin threatened Charlie Carlin was swiftly off his line to smother. The home side almost added a second before the break when Keith McColgan  and Doherty combined for the latter’ s cross to just elude the inrushing McGrory. Just after the restart Carlin came to the home sides rescue again blocking McLaughlin’s low effort with his legs  before David McLaughlin unleashed a twenty five yards effort which Carlin gathered well. The final chance fell to the home side after substitute Killian O Rourke mazy run ended with a shot saved by Sean Friel.
Clonmany Res 1
Moville Celtic 4
Moville took the lead on 5 minutes after Finn McLaughlin headed home a Kyle Harkin corner. Clonmany replied and Paul Devlin took a heavy touch on the edge of the area and the chance was lost. Nathan McKinney then fired just over for the home side before the same player was denied by  a superb last ditch tackle. Moville replied and Finn McLaughlin controlled well and fired in a shot which Kieran Friel parried well and recovered to gather. The visitors added a second on the stroke of half time when McLaughlin crossed for Tony Boyce to slot home from eight yards. Minutes into the second period Kevin McDermott converted a penalty low to Friel’s right to make it three nil and when Norbert Indyka headed home at the back post on 55 minutes the game was over as a contest. Clonmany kept battling and gained a consolation when Thomas Comiskey collected a throw in and beat two men before firing low across Ryan Coyle from an acute angle. The final chance fell to the visitors but Michael McNaught had an effort blocked by Friel.
Buncrana Res 3
Redcastle United 2
In a surprising result the home side started well and and Christopher McKinley headed them in front when he got on the end of a John O Loughlin cross. Michael Coyle then volleyed straight at Michael McCole before the home side doubled their lead on 28 minutes when  Coyle brilliantly volleyed to the top corner  after a superb Kevin McColgan cross. Redcastle looked destined to reduce the deficit after Aaron Nash rounded keeper Cathal Mc Nutt but saw his effort cleared off the line by Craig Doherty. The visitors did manage to get a goal back on the stroke of half time after a scramble developed allowing Nash to poke the ball home. Ten minutes into the second period McNutt made a brilliant save to keep out Shaun Curran’s volley . Buncrana then struck for a third goal on 66minutes when Coyle got in front of a defender to glance a header to the net. Coyle was then denied his hat trick by a stunning save from McCole. When the home defence then failed to clear a corner Shaun Curran poked home to set up a grandstand finish. But the final chance fell to the home side and Boyle was denied by another fine save fromMcCole.
Donegal Signs Reserve Shield Round One  
Moville Res 3
Illies Res 1
A defensive error in the opening minutes presented Illies with the chance and Shane Devlin made no mistake from close range.
Moville dominated the remainder of the half and on 33minutes spurned a great chance to level when after Pearse Doherty was upended Graham Doherty saw his kick rebound off the post. Moville did get back on terms on the hour mark when Pearse Doherty fired a low effort through a crowd of player and past Graham Doherty. On 70 minutes Graham Doherty set up Pearse Doherty  who lifted the ball over the advancing keeper for Eoin Gillen to slot home. They sealed the points when PJ Barr sent Graham Doherty clear and he calmly lifted the ball over Doherty and into the net.
Carn Res 7
Dunree Res 4
In a goal fest the visitors raced into a two goal lead when Peter O Neill fired them ahead on 5 minutes before a Simon Taylor effort was deflected past Daniel McCallion. Carn rallied and Dayton Cooke beat a defender and fired high to the net before on 34 minutes they equalised after Gert Dzerins converted a Cade Cooke cross from eight yards. Before the break the home side took the lead after a Cade Cooke cross  was headed home from twelve yards by Christy Doherty. Dunree then got back on terms on 56 minutes when Martin McDermott picked out the unmarked Eamon Fullerton to fire low to the net from the edge of the area.  But Carn regained the lead on 68 minutes when Cade Cooke unleashed a powerful thirty yards effort to the top corner for a stunning goal. Dunree restored parity minutes later when the ball broke off a defender for Fullerton to slam the ball home from close range. But three goals in the final ten minutes sealed it for the home side. Firstly when a Lorcan Bradley effort was blocked Conor O’ Donnell rifled home from sixteen yards before Cooke scored with a superb volley from fifteen yards. Finally  Christy Diver crossed for Dillon Cooke who hammered home from twelve yards.
Greencastle Res 2
Culdaff Res 2 (win 4.1 on penos)
The visitors took the lead in the 3rd minute when the unmarked Jack O Brien ghosted in at the back post to convert an Aiden Cunningham cross. But ten minutes later the home side equalised when Sean Downey beat three men and crossed for Gavin Rowan to slot low to the corner. Culdaff regained the lead on the half hour when O’Brein controlled and turned before shooting from twenty five yards to the top corner. Five minutes after the restart the home side got back on terms when Downey went down the right and crossed for Conor Gillen to control turn and fire low to the corner. The home  side had a good spell with Marcus Brexios heading wide before Ronan Dohery saw an effort smothered. Culdaff had the final chance of normal time  but a Gary Smyth free was punched clear by Seamus Bovaird. In extra time Niall McLaughlin was denied by Bovaird at one end while Downey advanced into the area but was denied by a defender. In the shootout Culdaff missed their first while Greencastle scored theirs but Culdaff went on to score all four  remaining while Greencastle missed three in a row.
Cockhill Res 2
Redcastle Res 1
Cockhill threatened first when Alan Fletcher played James Barber in down the wing and his deep cross was well defended and Conor Kelly cleared the danger for Redcastle. Evan Craig then almost found himself clear on goal for Redcastle when played through by Shay Davenport but Cockhill’s Shaun McDaid showed his experience to recover well and make a telling challenge to hold Redcastle
at bay.Both teams showed some good passing in the middle of the park without creating too many clear cut opportunities. Cockhill eventually found a way through. Good work down the left between
Tristan Donaghy and Cian Downey released Adam McLaughlin in behind who fired across a dangerous cross that took a deflection off Redcastle’s Gary Kelly giving Paul Doherty no chance in the Redcastle goal as it and ended up in the net to give Cockhill the lead. Cockhill almost made it two nil shortly after. Alan Fletcher hit a great shot
for the edge of the box but it was well saved by Redcastle’s Paul Doherty but it fell kindly to Shaun McDaid ten yards out but his effort was well saved again by Paul Doherty in the Redcastle goal. Redcastle replied almost immediately as Rory Hirrell shoots over from just outside the box. Cockhill hit back again when Darren Robinson almost gets on the end of a great through ball from Adam McLaughlin but Redcastle keeper Paul Doherty is sharp off his line.
Paul Doherty in the Redcastle net makes another good save this time for Adam McLaughlin as Cockhill almost stretch their lead before half time. Redcastle started the second half very strong and put Cockhill under pressure right from the off. A great through ball by Gerard McLaughlin finds Evan Craig but Cockhill keeper Ryan Fitzpatrick saves the initial effort well but the ball falls for Ronan Hoy who places the ball well in to the empty net as draw Redcastle level.
A similar move shortly after almost gives Redcastle the lead but young  Cockhill keeper Ryan Fitzpatrick gets enough on it to stop Ronan Hoy making it two for Redcastle and the covering Cockhill defenders Shaun McDaid and Barney Gubbins combine well to clear the danger.

Redcastle continued to put Cockhill under pressure playing some nice passing through the middle to push Cockhill back. As the half went on Cockhill started to come back in to it and created their first chance of the half with Tristan Donaghy finding some space down
the left and was unlucky when his shot just went past Paul Doherty’s left hand post. Then Adam McLaughlin created another chance to beat the Redcastle keeper after creating the chance for himself turning well in midfield and beating a few Redcastle players before his shot is well saved again by Paul Doherty. Redcastle replied with some more pressure forcing a few corners in a row but the Cockhill defence held firm under some considerable Redcastle pressure.
Adam McLaughlin who had a fine match again almost found the net but again Redcastle goal Paul Doherty saved comfortably after Adam created some space for himself in the box but fired his shot straight at Paul Doherty. Paul Doherty capped a fine performance on the day when he pulled off a top quality save diving well to his left to push wide a great effort from the edge of the box from Alan Fletcher which looked in all the way until Paul Doherty got his fingertips to it.
Cockhill pushed for a winner in the final minutes.  Some good work down theright between Cian Downey and Conor McDaid forced a corner for Cockhill. The corner was taken by Adam McLaughlin and Alan Fletcher rose well to head the ball in to the net to give Cockhill the lead with only minutes remaining. Redcastle threw men forward, putting Cockhill under a bit of pressure with minutes remaining. However, leaving themselves light at the back it allowed Cockhill to make a quick counter and Odhran O’Brien-Daly was unlucky not to
make it three for Cockhill as his volley was again well saved by Paul Doherty as Cockhill saw the match out for a hard earned win against  good, young Redcastle team.

Inishowen Engineering Division Two  
Rasheney Res 1
Carrowmena FC 2
Carrowmena started well and Mark Doherty fired just over on 9minutes before they took the lead a  minute later  when  a mis understanding in the home defence allowed Harry McCormick
To run through unchallenged and fired past Kieran O’Neill. Midway through the half Nathan McConalogue headed wide before the home side levelled in the next attack after keeper Dean McGeoghaghan failed to hold a Paul McConalogue cross and Nathan McConalogue  pounced to drill home. Matthew Duffy was then denied by a superb Samuel Bredin tackle before the same player fired narrowly over. On the hour Carrowmena spurned a great chance when Gerard Gill crossed for James McDermott who miskicked in front of goal. They did retake the lead when Oran McDermott turned well  and unleashed a twenty two yards effort which flashed in off the post. Both Oran McDermott and McCormick then failed to connect in front of goals. Rasheney tried hard to get back on terms and Corny McCole saw a twenty yards effort tipped over by McGeoghaghan  and from the corner the ball broke to McCole twenty yards out but it crashed off the bar and McGeoghaghan recovered to gather. Caolan Dillon then fired wide before Nathan McConalogue was denied by McGeoghaghan. Rasheney continued to press and McConalogue fired over before Duffy had a chance but it was blocked.