Match Reports Sunday 17th March

Inishowen Football League Reports  17th  March

Clubman Shirts League Cup Semi Final

Clonmany Shamrocks 1

Greencastle FC 2

Played on Saturday afternoon in blustery conditions , Clonmany created the first chance in the third minute when Aaron Porter progressed down the right and crossed into the box with Alex McFadden controlling the ball before shooting but Greencastle keeper Caolan McGroory was able to pull off a point blank save to thwart him.

The strong wind was favouring Greencastle in the first half but often led to play breaking down in a very scrappy start. But Greencastle took advantage of a long clearance in the 12th minute with Nigel McMonagle running clear of the Clonmany defence before shooting across Kieran Friel into the bottom left hand corner of the net to open the scoring. Clonmany responded with a speculative effort from Jason Devlin from twenty  yards in the 17th minute which carried just over the Greencastle crossbar. After the half hour mark a corner for Clonmany from the right , delivered by Matthew Brennan , was half cleared to the edge of the Greencastle box ,where it broke to Conor Doherty and he struck a fine left foot shot which whistled just past the angle of post and crossbar. Greencastle pressed Clonmany back for a long period at the end of the first half with Clonmany defending doggedly. Greencastle won a free-kick just outside the Clonmany box in the 43rd minute and Kyle Harkin was unlucky to see his effort deflected just wide of Kieran Friel’s goal..

In the 54th minute Clonmany’s Paddy Doherty was unlucky to see a snapshot from the edge of the box go narrowly wide. The conditions were helping Clonmany dominate possession but Greencastle were still dangerous on the attack and Kieran Friel came to Clonmany’s rescue midway through the half  when McMonagle broke away but Kieran saved low to his left to deny him his second goal of the match. Clonmany were dealt a blow in the 70th minute when their  centre-half Gareth Bradley was forced off with a head injury which resulted in some rejigging of an already stretched panel of players. Greencastle’s Michael Barr went close then  when he rose to direct a header goalwards from a  Harkin corner but his effort drifted just wide of the Clonmany goal. In the 81st minute Clonmany’s second half pressure finally paid off when they won a corner from the left which was swung over by Aaron Porter with Jason Devlin running across the defensive line to glance home a header at the near post past a stranded Caolan McGrory. However Greencastle were not to be denied and in the Nigel McMonagle broke clear of a stretched Clonmany defence to finish coolly past Kieran Friel to restore Greencastle’s lead .Despite some late Clonmany pressure they held on to record a win and seal their place in the Clubman Shirt’s Cup Final. 


Cockhill Celtic 2

Buncrana Hearts 0

The home side started off well with a succession of corners well defended by the Hearts rearguard. The first sight of goal came on 17 minutes  after a Lee McLaughlin cross was headed across goal by Garbhan Friel but Luke Ruddens effort was charged down  by a Buncrana defender. Midway through the half a jack Mullan free found Rudden but his effort was deflected wide. Cockhill had all the pressure and on 31 minutes Ruddens header from a McLaughlin cross was superbly saved by Taylor Clarke. On the stroke of half time Cockhill did take the lead when the visitors defence failed to clear a corner and James Bradley was on hand to force the ball home from close range. The home side increased their lead when Corey McBride fired a free kick past the wall and Clarke from the edge of the area. Buncrana responded with a Matthew Brown header gathered by Harry Doherty. A good move by the home side then on 75 minutes saw the ball deflect into McBrides path and he was denied by a brilliant last ditch tackle from Brown. There was little action in the closing stages and the home side advance to the final later in the season.

Cockhill Celtic

Buncrana Hearts

Strand Hotel First Division

Aileach Res 3

Rashenny FC 2

In an entertaining contest Aileach took an early lead after Kevin Boyle s corner saw a Gavin Doherty header parried by Gavin Mclaughlin but James Wallace was on hand to slot home.  Another Boyle cross was then flicked wide by Emmet McCarron before the visitors responded. Cormac Dillon saw one effort tipped around the post by David McGeady before he was off target with another shot. Aileach responded and a flicked header from Doherty came off the bar before McCarrons close range effort from a  Josh Boyle cross was blocked by keeper Mclaughlin. On the stroke of half time the visitors had a Damien Friel free kick headed over by Shane Gordon. Aileach began the second half well with Boyle seeing an effort blocked but the visitors equalised on 58 minutes when Dillon released Abdul Alrasheed to finish low past McGeady. But the home side replied with two goals in as many minutes midway through the half. On 65 minutes James Wallace converted a penalty after McCarron was upended. Then after a Josh Boyle effort was parried by McLaughlin the loose ball was headed home by McCarron. Rashenny rallied and reduced the deficit when Dillon converted a penalty after a foul in the area. But the home side had the final chance when Dillon McGrory fed Paul Eyre who failed to hit the target when well placed.

Redcastle clinch league title in Style 

Redcastle United 8


The visitors stunned the home side in the opening minute when Kevin Kelly was upended in the area and John McCloskey fired the spot kick low past Michael McCole. The home side replied when Shaun Curran fed Stephen Grant and his cross was headed just wide by Rory Hirrell. On 14 minutes after a home attack the ball was cleared as far as Eamon Donnelly and his well struck effort was tipped over the bar by Jamie McColgan. Redcastle equalised on 22 minutes after Grant s cross was cleared as far as Marc Bell who drove low past McColgan from the edge of the area. Redastle then took the lead in the 32nd minute when Grant again crossed from the right for Darragh McConway to sweep the ball past McColgan for an excellent finish. But on the stroke of half time the Point levelled matters when Mark Murray skipped past a defender on the right and his cross was slotted home by McCloskey from twelve yards. Redcastle had the first chance of the second  half after Cahir Mclaughlins cross was headed just wide by Mark Farren. Midway through the half the home side regained the lead when Grant cut in past a defender into the area and drilled a low shot past McColgan. Curran then headed wide at the back post before at the other end McCloskey was denied by a superb McCole save at full stretch.  Redcastle gave them selves a bit of breathing space with twelve minutes remaining when Farren threaded a ball through for McConway to fire low to the corner from fourteen yards. They added a fifth goal in the 87th minute when Eamon Donnelly curled a free kick  from the edge of the area around the wall and past McColgan. The home side made it six two then with Farren feeding Darren Kelly to slot low past the stranded McColgan. The home side ran riot in the final quarter and completed the scoring when Farren released McConway who raced clear and finished well with the same player adding the eighth deep in injury time to leave the home side clinching the league title in style..

Carn Res 1

Dunree United 2

In an even first half, both sides cancelled each other out in a cagey affair. Dunree took the lead on 20 minutes when Jamie Brosnan won the ball high up the pitch, beat his man and fired his effort into the bottom corner of the Carn goal from twenty yards. Carn responded well with Shay Fallon and Dayton Cooke linking up well. Neat play from Fallon at the edge of the box saw his eventual shot saved but only into the path of Olly Coyle whose brave header was cleared from the line. The second half started with Carn penning Dunree back but the experience in the Dunree defence kept them at bay. That was until 80 minutes when Carn got themselves level. A corner was cleared only as far as Callum Kelly who  from 30 yards out curled his shot into the top left corner of the Dunree goal. Just when Carn thought they had got themselves back into the game and could now look for a winner Dunree had other ideas. On 85 minutes a breakaway lead by Liam Baldrick ended in the ball finding Marc Doherty, who from around forty yards out lobbed the Carn keeper Kyle Harkin for a superb goal. Carn threw everything at Dunree but their defence stood strong as they took all three points.

Carn Reserves

Dunree United

Culdaff FC 2

Cockhill Youths 3

In damp conditions on Saturday night Cockhill stated well and took the lead after 5 minutes when a long wind assisted free kick from Conor McDaid bounced once before sailing into the net. With the home side sloppy in possession Cockhill continued on top and Danny McDaid fired just over the bar before a Dylan McDaid effort was saved by Patrick McLaughlin.  Mason McDaids corner was headed against the bar by Conor McDaid as the onslaught continued. Minutes later Danny McDaid broke clear but dragged his effort wide and then a Paul Mullan header was cleared off the line by Ryan Greene. Culdaffs first attempt came  on 38 minutes when a Brendan McLaughlin effort from the edge of the area was straight at Darragh O’Donnell in the  Cockhill goal. Culdaff began the second period well and equalised when a Keith Norris cross cum shot sailed over O’Donnells head to the net. Jack O’Brien then advanced on the left and saw his cross headed over by McLaughlin from close range. But Cockhill regained the lead after Dean O Donnell was upended in the area and Liam Bradley converted from the penalty spot. The home side again got back on terms with a Norris cross brilliantly controlled by Mclaughlin before volleying powerfully to the roof of the net. With the game looking destined for a draw the home defence failed to clear allowing Paul Mullan to find substitute Darragh McDermott to drill low to the net and snatch all three points.

Culdaff F.C.

Cockhill Celtic Youths

Inish Grass Division Two Shield Semi Finals

Culdaff Res 3

Carrowmena FC 0

In perfect conditions for football before a large crowd at Caratra Park Culdaff took an early lead after good work by Conor McColgan on the right saw him feed veteran Gary Collins who ghosted past two players before slotting low past Michael Noone. Carrowmena settled into the game after this and a Paul McGowan cross was met on the half volley by Liam Kelly but it flew over the bar. The visitors had another chance when Ryan McDermott got in behind the home defence but fired straight at Oran Douglas. Culdaff then created another good opportunity when Collins split the visitors defence for Billy Hume on the left to unleash an effort which Noone saved well before Conor McColgan had a shot on the run also gathered by Noone. Culdaff finished the half the stronger and in a good move Conor McColgan crossed to the back post where Hume sidestepped a defender but from a tight angle Noone got a hand to the ball to keep it out. On the stroke of half time Tiernan McGeoghaghan found space in midfield but fired over the top from twenty yards. Carrowmena went close to an equaliser in the 59th minute after a Sam Bredin free was headed down by Cathal Crumlish but Gerard Gills header flashed wide of the post.  Within a minute the home side had doubled their lead after Peter McCallion and Collins combined on the right to find McColgan who cut inside to unleash a superb left footed strike to the bottom corner giving Noone no chance. The visitors tried hard to get back into the game and substitute Brian Houghton was denied by a combination of Nathan Mullarkey and goalkeeper Douglas midway through the half. Hesitation in the Carrowmena defence then saw Hume race clear but he was denied by Noone saving well with his legs. Carrowmena pushed hard but Sonny Bonner and Mac McLaughlin held firm at the heart of the home defence. Culdaff sealed their place in the final in injury time after Matthew McGoldrick scored with a well taken finish.

Culdaff Reserves


QPS Youth 3

Cockhill Colts 4 AET

Joe Johnson had an early chance for the home side but saw his effort saved by Graham Doherty in the Colts goal. The visitors then countered and opened the  scoring when Joe Doherty evaded two tackles and slotted low to the corner. The home side responded with an Oisin Burke free tipped over by Doherty before they equalised in the 38th minute when a speculative Simon Wallace effort from distance found the bottom corner. The home side then took the lead after the break when Johnson raced clear and rounded Doherty to slot home. But the visitors levelled after a corner found Joe Doherty who rose high at the back post to head past Stephen Slattery. This sent the game to extra time and again the home side went ahead after Mark Wallace converted a penalty. But a well worked corner kick at the other end saw Martin Donaghy head home from five yards to make it three all. With penalties looming Cockhill snatched the win after Gavin Doherty fired an excellent free kick to the top corner to send his side into the final.

Inishowen Engineering Division Two A

Cockhill Res 1

Sea Rovers 2

In great conditions at Celtic Park this proved to be an entertaining and very competitive match between a young Cockhill side and title chasing Sea Rovers with little to separate to two sides over the 90 minutes but it was Sea Rovers who narrowly prevailed.Cockhill started the match well without really testing Marc McLaughlin in the early stages.However, Cockhill made their early running pay off midway through the first half when Tiarnan Moran’s 35 yard free kick found the top corner to give the  Cockhill side a deserved lead.However, Sea Rovers responded well immediately putting Cockhill on the back foot and within the space of two minutes just before half time they found themselves ahead.The first from Connor McCloskey and the second from Andrew Gallagher both with efforts from distance which took wicked deflections to leave Eoin Colhoun no chance.The second half started similar to the first with Cockhill pushing forward and Sea Rover’s keeper Marc McLaughlin denying both Devin McCarron and Shaye Gallagher an equaliser.

At the other end Eoin Colhoun kept out a few long long range efforts from Ryan Doherty and Shay Rodgers.Cockhill’s defenders Pauric McBride, Kieran McCallion and Patrick Sliageris deserve great credit along with Cockhill keeper Eoin Colhoun for keeping Sea Rovers forwards relatively quiet throughout the match. Cockhill threw everything at Sea Rovers late on for what would have been a well deserved point but came up just short.In injury time with every man including both keepers in the Sea Rovers box a Devin McCarron corner found the head of Cockhill keeper Eoin Colhoun but his looping header landed short and Sea Rovers cleared the danger to hang on for an important win for their title aspirations.

Inishowen Engineering Division Two B

Glengad Res 5

Moville Res 2

Hesitancy in the Moville defence in the 10th minute allowed Callum McDaid to lay the ball off for Matthew Mooney to fire  low past Andrew Burke. But Moville levelled ten minute s later after Jack lee beat a defender on the edge of the area before drilling low past Michael McLaughlin. Glengad upped the tempo then and Conor McGonagle fired wide, Caelan McColgan had an effort crash off the bar before PJ McDaid was denied by Burke. They regained the lead on 41 minutes after McColgan dispossessed a defender and fed McDaid to lay the ball off for Mooney who rounded Burke and slotted home. On the stroke of half time they increased their lead with McColgan sending McDaid through to round Burle again and finish. Moville started the second half well with a Luke McFadden corner cleared off the line by McGonagle and Marcus Rule blazing over from a good position. But Glengad sealed the points when Mooney intercepted a defensive pass and finished well to complete his hat trick.Paul McGonagle then fired a superb free to the top corner to make it five one on 77 minutes. Moville gained a consolation  when McFadden pounced on a poor pass to drill home from sixteen yards.