Match Reports Sunday 17th December

Jackie Crossan Premier Division 2pm

Illies Celtic                    3

Greencastle FC             2

Greencastle’s poor league form continued as they suffered a fifth league defeat in seven games despite leading by two goals to nil at one stage.

That said the visitors began well and opened the scoring on11minutes after Joe Doherty burst into the area before firing low past Johnathan Noone from ten yards. Midway through the half they doubled their advantage when a superb Matthew Henry pass found Shaun Doherty who fired to the roof of the net from the edge of the area. But Illies came more into the game then and visiting keeper Dillon Doherty made two great saves to keep out efforts from Paddy Doherty and Liam Grant. On the stroke of half time Illies spurned their best effort when Dominic Coyle broke clear but fired weakly at Doherty. Illies kept up their pressure and were rewarded on 51 minutes when Adrian Donaghey Doherty was upended in the area allowing Paddy Doherty to send the keeper the wrong way from the spot kick. The home side got back on terms on the hour mark when a David Doherty cross found John Campbell who fired to the roof of the net. On 77 minutes Greencastle were unlucky when a Shaun Doherty well struck effort crashed back off the crossbar with Noone beaten. But in the final minute the homeside snatched the points and completed a superb comeback when Martin Coyle broke on the right and  crossed for  Donaghey Doherty to slot home.


Strand Hotel First Division

Aileach Res                  3

Redcastle United         2

Aileach started well with a Kieran McGrory effort well saved by Michael McCole before a Ruairi Bradley effort was also well saved low to his right.  The home side had a penalty claim waved away before Redcastle  replied with an Aaron Nash denied by a smothering save from Ciaran Bradley. A superb Eamon Brown cross at the other end fell to Ruairi Bradley twelve yards out but his effort was brilliantly saved by McCole. Midway through the half Bradley advanced and crossed for McGrory who controlled and turned before finishing superbly to the corner. Redcastle responded and and when the home defence failed to clear Brendan Murphy slotted home to equalise. On the stroke of half time  McGrory was denied by a brilliant last ditch tackle from Sean Curran. In injury time Conor Bradley overlapped on the right and cut inside before drilling low past the far post as the half ended. Redcastle had the first chance of the second period on the hour mark when Denim McLaughlin blasted over when well placed. Aileach regained the lead minutes after that when McGrory raced onto a Gareth McGlynn  pass to round McCole and slot home. McGrory then missed a gilt edged chance when unmarked he headed wide from ten yards. Redcastle responded and Sean Curran fired wide with only the keeper to beat from twelve yards. Redcastle equalised on 78 minutes when Nash ran onto a clearance and chipped Bradley to make it two all. Aileach hit back and when substitute Joe Johnstone fed Patrick Curran he fired a brilliant effort low to the corner to out the home side back in front and clinch the three points.

Inishowen Engineering Division Two  

Cockhill Res                  0

Glengad Res                 2

In a tight first half that ended goalless, neither team created too many clear cut chances but overall Glengad had most of the pressure with somelast ditch defending from Cockhill and a good save from Gary Robinson denying PJ McDaid just before half time ensured it remained goalless. Glengad started the stronger of the two sides in the second half with their early pressure forcing a corner. The ball broke to Christopher McLaughlin who was unmarked on the edge of the area and his powerful shot took a slight deflection off a Cockhill player and found its way in the corner of the net to give Glengad a deserved one nil lead.Cockhill grew in to the match as the second half went on after the initial setback but failed to create any real chances and it was Glengad who increased their lead on 65 minutes when a long through ball found the Cockhill defence slow to react and Christy McLaughlin nipped in to prod the ball past the oncoming Gary Robinson to make it two nil with his second of the match. Glengad defended their lead well and looked comfortable however Cockhill did force a few late chances with Adam McLaughlin and Tristan Donaghy both coming close but Glengad held firm for a deserved win.

Carrowmena FC                    5

Illies Celtic Res                       0

After a close opening period the home side had the first chance when Dean McGeoghaghan fed Samuel Bredin but well placed he fired wide before a Raymond Campbell effort was well saved by John Lafferty. Carrowmena opened the scoring when Lafferty parried an Oran McDermott effort from distance and Bredin was on hamd to slot home. Minutes later Mark Doherty split the defence with a fine through ball to Bredin who fired low to the corner from fifteen yards. Illies responded and a Stephen McGonigle free was well saved by Michael Noone before Shane Devlin broke on the right but fired across goal and wide. Jason Campbell then fired well over from the edge of the area before Carrowmena replied  on the stroke of half time when McGeoghaghan was off target from distance. On 55 minutes a Bredin free from the right flew across the face of goal but there were no takers. They increased their lead when Bredin fed McDermott inside the area and he fired powerfully past Lafferty. Bredin then completed his hat trick when he pounced on a defensive error before John Lynch headed home a McDermott free to make it five nil. Illies had the last chance when Brendan Grant  failed to hit the target from a good position.