Match Reports Sunday 17th December

Donegal Signs Challenge Cup

Carn FC 2

Culdaff FC 3

First division  Culdaff caused a bit of an upset when they defeated Premier Division Carn at St Patricks Park. Culdaff started well and took the lead in the 15th minute when after a Jack O’Brien initial effort was saved by Daniel McDaid but O’Brien was first to react to slot home the rebound.

Carn responded positively and both  Kyran Cantwell and Cian Burke were denied by good saves from Patrick McLaughlin. Before the break they had another effort but Ross Farren’s shot was saved at full stretch by McLaughlin. The home side  started well on the resumption with Burke denied by a smothering save from Mclaughlin. Culdaff responded and when Brendan Mclaughlin advanced into the area his  low shot was  parried by McDaid for O’Brien to pounce and  drill home his second. The home side rallied and reduced the deficit when Conor Mclaughlin crossed for Cantwell to volley home from twelve yards. They got back on terms in the 85th minute after a corner was cleared to the edge of the area where Conor McLaughlin controlled and fired low through a crowd of players to the bottom corner. But Culdaff struck for the winner on the stroke of full time when Brendan Mclaughlin met a free kick to head the ball over the advancing McDaid and send Culdaff through.

Culdaff F.C.


Dunree United 0

Cockhill Celtic 8

Played on Saturday  premier division Cockhill proved much too strong for first division strugglers Dunree who competed well in the first half. Cockgill got off to a great start in the 5th minute when Jay Bradley headed  home a Lee McColgan cross at the back post on five minutes. Nathan Logue then drilled a free kick low  into the bottom corner on 16 minutes to double the lead. Dunree responded after Adam Barrett crossed for Jamie Brosnan who fired straight at Harry Doherty when well placed. Before the break  Bradley was upended in the area but McColgans spot kick was superbly saved by Philip Doherty.Cockhill got off to the perfect start in the opening minute of the second  half when a Corey McBride cross was headed  home by the unmarked Liam Grant. Again Dunree tried to reply and a Tommy Mulhern effort skimmed the bar. The visitors then added two goals from Grant to complete his hatrick in a five minute spell. Firstly McColgans effort was parried by Doherty and Grant was first to react before Grant turned well on the edge of the area and slotted home. Another two goal bust in as many minutes  saw McBride slot home at the back post from a Luke Rudden cross before Logue got his second of the game when he drilled low past Doherty. Grant completed the scoring with his fourth of the game when he capitalised on a defensive mix up  to slot home.


Moville Celtic 2

Greencastle FC 5

In an entertaining game in wet conditions Greencastle started well with Brennan Moore got on the end of a Michael henry cross but fired wide. They opened the scoring when Nigel McMonagle broke on the left and fired low past Ryan Coyle from a tight angle. Ten minutes later a short corner w to Jamie McCormick saw his cross find McMonagle who lifted the ball over Coyle. Moville replied and Rowan Doherty s cross found Deaglan Lynch whose header was well saved by William O Carroll. At the other end Moore had an effort on the stroke of half time well saved by  the legs of Coyle. Moville started the second half well and on 58 minutes a Michael McNaught shot was deflected wide. From the corner by Lynch the ball was bundled home at the near post by Daniel McFadden. But Greencastle replied instantly with McMonagle claiming his hat trick after a goal mouth scramble. They made it four one then after good interplay between McMonagle and McCormick found Shaun Doherty whose effort was deflected past Coyle. But Moville rallied again and Dohertys cross was headed home by Conor Radcliffe to make it four two. But the visitors sealed the win when McMonagle raced clear onto a through ball and poked past the advancing Coyle to claim his fourth and Greencastle s fifth.


Redcastle United 2

QPS 2 AET   (Redcastle  win 4.3 on penalties)

The home side started the better in this local derby and took the lead in the 10th minute after a marc Bell effort was parried by  Conor O Neill and Darragh McConway slotted home . The visitors replied and when Adam Doherty found John  McCluskey his effort was well turned away by Michael McCole. Play swung to the other end and on the half hour a Darren Kelly cross from the right found McConway  but his effort was cleared off the line by Adam Harkin. Before the break the home side went close again after the visitors cleared to the edge of the area where Stephen Grants low effort was well saved by O Neill. There was a lively start to the second half from QPS  and following a corner Oisin Hillen s overhead kick went just over the bar. In the 48th minute the visitors equalised after an Oisin Burke cross was inadvertently deflected past McCole by an unfortunate defender.  The visitors then took the lead in the 56th minute after a Burke free kick  was diverted past McCole by Oisin Hillen from close range. Redcastle upped the tempo and on 75 minutes jack McConnellogues cross found Marc Bell who fired over the bar. They did get back on terms when a Cahir McLaughlin corner saw Currans header come off the bar for Lee Barr to slot home. Redcastle had another late chance but O Neill made a superb double save to deny Curran and Grant and send the game to extra time.


Clonmany Shamrocks 1

Aileach FC 2

Aileach started the better with Darren  Bradleys run and shot blocked by Kieran Friel and Gavin Doherty having two attempts off target. But against the run of play the home side took the lead when Gareth Bradley broke up an attack on the edge of his own area before advancing to release Jason Devlin who fired low past David McGeady.  Aileach responded well to this set back and got back on terms in the 17th minute  when Niall McGlynn collected a throw in and unleashed a superb effort to the top right hand corner from twenty two yards. The visitors then took the lad after Dermot Doherty split the home defence for Gavin Doherty to fire past Friel who got hands to the ball but  was powerless to keep it out. Clonmany tried to hit back and in one attack Devlin, Paddy Doherty and Jamie Coyle all had efforts blocked by the visitors defence.  Before the break Paddy Doherty fired over when well placed. Clonmany began  the second half well and Devlin had two attempts but the first lacked power to trouble McGeady before a looping header dropped over the bar. Aileach replied with substitute Stephen Doherty denied by a fine save from Friel. The same player then  fed Michael McElroy who somehow failed to hit the target with the goal gaping. Clonmany pressed hard to force extra time but after a good move between Jake Harkin and Brendan Doherty who found Devlin his goal bound effort was brilliantly saved by McGeady at full stretch. The final chance also fell to the home side but Aaron Porter s free sailed over the bar.

Clonmany Shamrocks


Rashenny FC 0

Buncrana Hearts 4

The visitors had the majority of possession but struggled to break down a resolute home defence. Indeed it was the home side who had the first chance of the game in the 20th minute with Damien Friels twenty five yards free tipped over the bar by Eoghan O Doherty. Buncrana replied and Calvin Gallagher had an effort saved by Gavin Mclaughlin who also held a Matthew Browne shot. Their  best chance came on the stroke of half time after a cross fell to Kieran McDaid who uncharacteristically fired wildly wide. Buncrana broke the deadlock in fortuitous fashion  early in the second half after an effort from Gallagher eluded the grasp of keeper Mclaughlin and McDaid pounced to drill home. They added a second on the hour when a Matthew Brown cross cum shot eluded all defenders and crept inside the far post. Substitute Bart Wesolowski  was off target when well placed as the premier division side upped the tempo. They sealed the tie when Wesolowski headed home an Adam Curran cross in the 79th minute. Liam Jordan then added a fourth goal sidefooting home from close range after the home defence failed to clear a McDaid cross.


Inishowen Engineering Division Two 

Glengad Res 4

QPS Youth 0

The visitors began with the aid of the wind in the first half but failed to trouble Oran  Raymond in the home goal. Glengad  had the first chance after Paul McGonigle turned a defender but saw his effort turned round the post by Stephen Slattery. The home side had another chance when Niall McColgan sent PJ McDaid away on the right and he crossed for Caolan McColgan whose header crashed off the bar as the half ended scoreless. The home side got off to a perfect start on the resumption when they broke the deadlock in the 50th minute with McGonigle feeding McDaid who fired over Slattery  to the roof of the net.  They continued to press but Adam Harkin and Stephen Frane stood firm at the heart of the Point defence . The visitors were dealt a blow on 78 minutes when Slattery had to go off injured. Three minutes later the home side doubled their lead when McDaid crossed for Caolan McColgan to slot home from five yards. Within two minutes it was three nil with the roles reversed as McColgan pulled the ball back for McDaid to sidefoot home from close range. Ryan Mclaughlin then completed the scoring after beating his man and firing low to the corner from the edge of the area.


Sea Rovers 6

Cockhill Colts 1

In the first  minute of the game  a long kick by Rovers keeper Mark Mc Laughlin aided by the wind  came off the Cockhill crossbar with the ball falling  to Andrew Gallagher who tapped  in from close range  to give the home side a dream start. A good break by Cockhill saw them win a penalty after Liam O Donnell was upended but Gerry Gill was  denied by a superb save from  Mc Laughlin. The ball went out for a corner and a header by Martin Donaghey was well saved again by  Mc Laughlin. Rovers responded and  a good run down the right wing by Conor Mc Closkey saw his  cross fall to Liam Gallagher whose effort was saved and came of the bar to the feet of Andrew Gallagher  who had the simplest of tasks to make it two nil. Rovers Conor Mc Closkey was  then taken down in the box and McCloskey himself converted from the spot despite Declan Caldwell getting a hand to the ball. It got better for the home side when before the break good work from  Andrew Gallagher found  Daniel Gallagher took a good shot from outside the box to the top corner of the net to leave Rovers four nil ahead at the interval.  Rovers continued on top on the restart and added a fifth goal when  Andrew Gallagher crossed for  Mc Closkey who took on one defender and rounded the  keeper for a well taken goal . McCloskey then completed his hat trick midway through the half when Liam Gallagher broke forward and crossed for him to slot home. Cockhill were rewarded for there efforts when the ball fell outside the box to Martin Donaghey who fired  beyond Mc Laughlin for a consolation.


Gleneely Colts 2

Moville Res 1

Gleneely got off to a dream start when Matthew Doherty headed home from close range from Stephen McLaughlins free in the opening minute. Moville nearly got back on terms when Colin Doherty hit the bar and the Gleneely defence somehow cleared. Gleneely had two chances in quick succession, Tristan McColgans effort was well saved by Stephen  Teles and then Shane Diver got clear of the Moville defence but again Teles stood tall to push his shot around the post. Teles then held Manus Doherty’s twenty yard effort  before at the other  end  Rhys Kerr saved well from Colin Dohertys effort from the edge of the box on the stroke of half time . Gleneely went two nil ahead midway through the dsecond half  after  a quick free from Stephen McLaughlin in the centre circle found Paul Doherty who  advanced and unleashed a powerful drive from twenty yards that found the bottom corner. Moville got one back in the 75th minute  after  Conor Lafferty nipped in behind the Gleneely defence to force the ball home from close range . They visitors should have equalised but Conor Lafferty pulled his shot wide from point blank range . They  also had the final chance again at the death but Rhys Kerr was equal to Colin Dohertys shot from the edge.

Illies Res 2

Cockhill RES 5

Illies began well  forcing three corners in the opening ten minutes which were scrambled clear by the Cockhill defence. But Cockhill took the lead against the run of play  when  Sean Bradley released Niall Breslin who slotted home low past Conor Doherty. Two minutes later they doubled their lead after Breslin pounced on a sloppy defensive pass to find Leo Devlin who fired through a crowd of players to the net. Before the break Breslin was provider again when he found Bradley who hammered to the roof of the net from twelve yards. Ten minutes after the break the visitors made it four nil after a quick break when Breslin broke clear and lobbed the advancing keeper. Illies rallied and  got a goal back from Nathan McLaughlin’s corner which fell to Jack McDaid to steer the ball home. Five minutes later McDaid was unlucky after his effort beat Lee McColgan but was cleared off the line by a defender. On the stroke of full time they got another goal back from a Caelan Whoriskey corner which substitute William McLaughlin hammered home. But in injury time Breslin completed his hat trick when he pounced on a  defensive error and lifted the ball calmly over the advancing Doherty.


Redcastle Res 2

Rashenny RES 2

Rasheney started well and a shot from Brendan Grant skimmed the bar on the way over. Rasheney kept pressing and Calum Noone went through on goals but a great save from Oisin Quigley denied him saving at the strikers feet. Rasheney took the lead after 35 minutes when Calum Dohertys pass sent Calum Long through on goals and he finished low into the corner from fifteen yards. After 40 mins a free kick from twenty yards from Shay Sweeney brought a fine save from Sam Coyle in the Rasheney net pushing the ball round the post.But the visitors made it two nil  on the stroke of half-time when Aidan Hirrells corner deceived Oisin Quigley and landed in the net.

Redcastle started the second half better and were back in the game after 55 minutes when a cross from Gary Kelly was hammered into the net by Dermot Hoy from ten yards. Rasheney almost made it three when a long ball over the top put Aidan Hirrell through but Quigley in the Redcastle goals came to the rescue with a great save at his feet. Redcastle equalised in the  75th  minute  when a free kick from James Farren out on the right was headed home by Brendan Doherty from six yards.  Redcastle almost won the game in injury time when Gary Kelly’s pass put Kealan Henry through but Sam Coyle in the Rasheney goals was quick off his line to save bravely at the strikers feet as  both teams had to settle for a share of the spoils.