Match Reports Sunday 17th April

Inishowen Football League Fixtures  2021-22

GOOD Friday 15th April

Inishowen Engineering Division Two  A  

Carn Res 5

Rasheney FC 1

Rasheney broke the deadlock in the 4th minute  when their goalkeeper Damien Friel fired a free kick from outside the 18 yard box into the top right corner of the net.

  Carn responded with Kyran Cantwell firing wide from a Conan Gibbons cross  while at the other end the visitors went close again when John Grant found David Mclaughlin whose  mazy run and shot was well saved by  Daniel McDaid. Carn had another chance  after Denim McLaughlin broke on the right wing and crossed  for Liam McWeeney whose volley  was tipped  over the bar by Friel.  The home side equalised on the stroke of half time after   Girts Dzerins made a great pass from midfield to Conor McLaughlin on the right  who beat the defender and drove a powerful shot  to the right corner of the net from 8 yards. Carn  then took the lead  minutes into the second half after  Conan Gibbons  found Girts Dzerins on the left wing  and he cut in = evading a defender before  shooting low to the bottom right corner of the net from 15 yards. Rashenny  hit back and on 68 minutes  Shane Grant broke on the right  and crossed for Charlie Doherty who headed  wide when well placed.  Carn though doubled their lead then  when Liam McWeeney broke on the right wing and passed it to sub Daire Tully who drove a powerful shot to the bottom right corner of the net from 15 yards. The home side made it four one   with a superb pass from Gibbons releasing  Tiernan McLaughlin unmarked and made a great powerful shot  to the top right corner of the net from 30 yards.  They completed the scoring after  Dzerins was upended in the penalty area and Carn keeper Daniel McDaid converted the resulting penalty. 


Carrowmena FC 3

Cockhill Res 4

The visitors got off to a dream start when they opened the scoring on 11 minutes   after Conor Graham fed Mark Gillespie on the left hand side of the area and he squeezed his shot past Kyle Dougal  who got a hand to the ball but could not keep it out. The home side responded  with a crisp Ryan McDermott strike just clearing the bar.  But Cockhill doubled their advantage before the interval when Luke Bradley split the home defence for Jay Bradley to lob the advancing Dougal from twenty yards. Carrowmena got back into the game in the 55th minute after McDermott converted a penalty  past Eoin Colhoun after Gerard McLaughlin had been fouled.  But Cockhill hit back and midway through the half restored their two goal  advantage when Paul Duffy  fed Gillespie on the right hand side and his first time ball found  Jay Bradley who rounded Dougal to slot home.Minutes later they made it four one after Bradley completed his hat trick running through the home defence before lobbing the stranded Dougal from twenty five yards. But Carrowmena launched a stirring fight back and reduced the deficit when Michael Henry rifled a superb free to the top corner from ten yards after the home keeper had been penalised for lifting a back pass.  Five minutes later substitute Mark Doherty was upended in the area   with McDermott again converting from the penalty spot to leave the visitors four three ahead with ten minutes remaining. Carrowmena pinned the visitors back and on 84 minutes a deep Puaric Gillen corner  found Ruairi Dougal whose goalbound header was  brilliantly tipped over by Colhoun. From another corner Mark Doherty also saw a header well saved before in the last minute McDermotts low cross was met by Doherty whose effort was tipped onto the post by Colhoun as Cockhill held on in the end.

Illies Res 0

Buncrana Res 3

A defensive slip in the  10th minute allowed the visitors Stephen McHugh gain possessionon the edge of the area  and advance to drill low past Graham Doherty. Illies replied with  Dominic Doherty unmarked heading over a deep Martin Coyle corner kick. Before the break the home side went close again after Doherty fed Ronan Hegarty  but his attempted chip sailed over the bar. Buncrana got a dream start to the second half as well when Michael Doherty pounced on an error to advance and cross  for McHugh to slot home. Illies were unlucky then when a John Pio Donaghey effort was cleared off the line by defender Paul McDermott. Buncrana effectively sealed the points on 71 minutes when Eoin McNamee split the home defence for Christopher McKinley to break into the area and unselfishly square for Michael Doherty to fire to the roof of the net. Illies had the final chance of the game when  substitute Alan Fletcher blazed over when well placed.

Inishowen Engineering Division Two    B   

Moville  Res 2

Aileach Youths 5

The visitors put themselves in pole position for league honours and can clinch the title with a win on  Easter Sunday at home to Rasheney Res. They got off to a great start when after an even opening twenty minutes Thomas McMonagle converted a penalty awarded when  Ciaran Bradley had been upended in the area. They went two nil ahead midway through the half after the unmarked Kevin Wallace rose highest to head past  Stephen Teles following a Daithi Grant free kick. But Moville rallied and reduced the deficit before the interval when a Conor Lafferty free kick deflected off a defender and into the net. Moville equalised then in the opening minute of the second half  with another Lafferty free kick delivery superbly headed home by Danny Murphy from eight yards. The game was finely balanced then with play swinging from end to end until the 68th minute when Aileach regained the lead.  Dermot Doherty collected possession and advanced to unleash a powerful low effort from the edge of the area past Teles. With Moville pushing forward they were caught out twice in the closing stages. Firstly Dillon McGrory released Ethan O Toole  to slide the ball low past Teles before Bradley raced onto a long ball, rounded the keeper and slotted home to make the final score five two.

Saturday  16th April 

Charlie O Donnell Cup Final Maginn Park 

Campbell goal clinches League & Cup double

Aileach  Res 1

Clonmany Res 0

As expected this was a close had fought encounter between two evenly matched teams on Saturday evening.Clonmnay started well and on 6 minutes a looping Steve Harkin cross was headed over at the back post by Dessie Doherty. Aileach responded and Conor Gallaghers corner from the right glanced off the face of the crossbar before being cleared to safety. There was a period of defensive dominace then before Mark McLaughlin for Clonmany saw his free kick deflected onto the roof of the net as the half ended scoreless. There was far  more action in the second half which begam with Aileachs Darren Bradley cutting inside from the left and shooting over the bar from twenty five yards. The first clear chance of the game came to Clonmany on 50 minutes when a superb Martin Doherty free found Philip Devlin whose diving header cannoned off the legs of a defender and out for a corner. Aileach responded and a crunching Gareth McElroy tackle in midfield saw him send Anthony Doherty clear on the left. Doherty advanced into the area and fired across Kieran Friel but Devlin got back to block and clear. Midway through the half Clonmany had another good chance from Dohertys deep corner kick but Brian Doherty headed wide from close range. The breakthrough arrived for Aileach on 68 minutes after a superb run from McElroy on the right hand side took him into the  area past two defenders before squaring the ball to David Campbell to slide home from six yards for an excellent goal. Clonmany tried to respond immediately when Mark McLaughlin cut in from the left and unleashed a powerful effort which flew inches past Sean McGuinness’s left hand post with the keeper scrambling across his line.McElroy at the other end tried his luck from distance but his effort flew over the bar as play swung from end to end. Clonmany had a final chance to snatch a draw from another Doherty corner when Devlins header was superbly saved right on the line by McGuinness and Aileach complete a league and cup double. 


As always there were contenders on both sides with Martin Doherty, Mark McLaughlin and Steve  Harkin prominent for the runners up while experienced  Cathal McElhinney and Damien Barr gave nothing away at the heart of the Aileach defence. But the award goes to hard running midfielder Gareth McElroy who continually drove his side forward, was a constant threat and superbly set up the winning goal.


Sunday 17th April 

Jackie Crossan Premier Division 

Last gasp Harkin free secures title for Greencastle

Greencastle FC 2

Glengad United 2

Needing a point to seal their second premier division title in three seasons Greencastle  put their supporters through the mill when snatching a last gasp equaliser at Chapel Lane.  Glengad  certainly put  it up to the home team  throughout the opening half in a free flowing contest.  Greencastle had the first opportunity after Jamie McCormick evaded two challenges but fired wide. Glengad responded and when Joe Doherty bore  down on goal Jason McCallion aws quickly off his line to smother. Greencastle  then had a couple of efforts with a Michael Barr delicate chip at the back post landing on the net before Shea McLaughlin raced onto a Jack Coyle flick but his effort was saved by Daniel Mullarkey. But Glengad hit back with a John McDaid free well gathered by McCallion before the keeper saved a John G McLaughlin header also from another McDaid free. Play swung back to the other end and Noel Doherty fired into the side netting from a tight angle before Coyle s chip over the top of the visitors defence found McLaughlin whose effort from the edge of the area was well saved by Mullarkey. Glengad stunned the home side when they took the lead after James Mc Kinney converted a penalty low to McCallions left hand side on 40 minutes. Glengad were on top  at this stage and Terence Doherty was denied by a smothering save at his feet from McCallion before the same player attempted to round McCallion minutes later but the keeper saved superbly. The home side had the final chance before the break when Nathan Harkin advanced and fed Coyle who fired over from eight yards. Glengad made a dream start to the second half when  John G McLaughlin rose highest to brilliantly head   to the top corner following a McDaid corner and make it two nil. However Greencastle dragged themselves back into contention  on 58 minutes when Harkin was upended in the area and Coyle cooly converted the penalty. For the remainder of the game the home side pressed on with McCormicks mazy run ending with a shot over the bar and a couple of corners scrambled clear as they desperately  sought the point they needed. Then on 83 minutes substitute Christy Hegarty effort from a corner was brilliantly saved by Mullarkey and the home side thought it was not going to be their day. But then in injury time substitute Kyle Harkins free from wide on the right eluded Mullarkey’s clutch and dropped in off the crossbar to send the home fans wild and clinch their second league title.


Ulster Junior Cup  Semi Final  

Aileach FC 3

Kildrum Tigers 1

These two sides will also meet in the semi final of the Knockalla Caravans Senior cup in a few weeks and  Aileach set the tone with a resounding success to advance to a final meeting with Buncrana Hearts in three weeks time. Aileach started the better and had Kildrum on the back foot forcing a succession of corners which the away side did well to defend. On 15 minutes Aileach took the lead when good work down the right between Darren Gallagher and Keelan Doherty resulted in Gavin Doherty getting to the bye line and crossing for Aaron Nash to turn the ball home from six yards. Aileach came close to adding a second on the half hour after a corner broke to Gavin Doherty and he fired goalwards but William Lynch did well to block his effort on the line. With Kevin McHugh up front Kildrum always had an out ball and as half time approached he latched on to a long clearance before turning inside and just as he was about to pull the trigger Shane McMonagle got his toe to the ball to foil the striker. Kildrum started the second half on the front foot and following a free kick wide right the ball broke to James McNulty but his well struck shot from 20 yards flew just wide of McLaughlins right hand post. Midway through the half  following a corner from the right the ball was cleared to Kevin McHugh and his clipped effort brought a fine save from McLaughlin  tipping the ball over the bar at full stretch. Aileach regained the initiative after this and doubled their lead on 70 minutes when substitute Caoimhin McFeely was taken down in the box and Keelan Doherty converted  the spot kick low past Shane Friels left hand. Five minutes later it was three nil when Caomhin McGeely crossed for Darren McMonagle to head home from six yards. With time almost up Kildrum got a consolation goal when a corner fell to Michael Lynch twenty yards out and he fired a fierce drive high past McLaughlin.


Strand Hotel First Division

Glengad   Res 2

Redcastle United 5

Redcastle started well in very wet conditions and took the lead after 10 minutes through a Stephen Grant strike from the edge of the area. Redcastle then doubled their lead when Darren Harkin tapped in after a Michael McLaughlin save. Glengad pulled a goal back when a Ryan McLaughlin strike found the back of the net. Redcastle had a chance to extend their lead but McLaughlin saved  well to deny Grant. Glengad almost pulled level when a Conor McGonagle shot from range was well saved by  McCole. Glengad levelled the game before half time after good work from Matthew Mooney  set up Ryan McLaughlin to slot into  the bottom corner. Redcastle controlled the second half with Darren Harkin getting a hat trick to win the game for the visitors. His first goal came when he got on the end of a good move to slot past Mclaughlin from close range. Redcastle made it four two after good play from Grant who crossed  for Harkin  to clot home. They completed the scoring when Harkin pounced on a defensive error and gave McLaughlin no chance with a neat finish.

Inishowen Engineering Division Two  A  

Illies Res 3

Carn Res 4

Following on from their excellent win on Good Friday Carn came roaring out of the blocks and took the lead on 2 minutes when Conor McLaughlin split the home defence and found Kyran Cantwell to fire low and hard past Graham Doherty from twelve yards. McLaughlin then doubled the visitors lead five minutes later after he lobbed the stranded Doherty from just outside the area. But Illies hit back and reduced the deficit on 19 minutes when Liam O Connor released Paul Devlin who squared the ball inside for Nathan McLaughlin to hammer past Daniel McDaid. But Carn restored their dominance just after the half hour after a good move ended with Conan Gibbons finding Gert Dzerins who steered the ball low into the bottom corner through a crowd of players. They spurned a gilt edged chance to increase that lead after Dzerins was upended in the area when Cantwell saw his spot kick brilliantly saved low to his right by Doherty. Illies reduced the deficit ten minutes into the second period  when Conor Doherty crossed for martin Doherty to head home  from ten yards. But Carn regained their two goal cushion after Dzerins advanced from midfield ad  fired low to the bottom corner from the edge of  the area. Illies kept battling and substitute Joe Mclaughlin fired over the bar when well placed. They reduced the deficit to the minimum again on 78 minutes after Alan Fletcher released Nathan Doherty and he finished superbly  to the bottom corner from twelve yards.  Flether twice went close to snatching a point when firstly he headed over from a corner and from a similar set piece his header was saved by McDaid.

Buncrana Res 4

Sea Rovers 3

The Hearts took the lead midway through the first half  with Stephen McHugh glancing home a header from a Michael Doherty corner. Jack Soal made it two nil firing home from 15 yards after a lovely pass from Liam Jordan. The Hearts were rampant at this point and Stephen McHugh broke into the box the keeper brought him down but good advantage played by referee allowed Jack Soal to follow up and stroke the ball home for three nil at the break.The Hearts were well on top second half but missed a host of chances and Sea Rovers got a goal back through Jack Gill. The Hearts reply was instant the impressive Michael Doherty firing an unstoppable 25 yard effort past the keeper to restore the three goal advantage. To their credit Sea Rovers kept plugging away and with five minutes remaining Matthew Harley headed home from a corner. With two minutes remaining they reduced the deficit to just one goal Mark McLaughlin heading home from another corner, the Hearts held on for three precious points.


Rasheney FC 3

Cockhill Res 2

Cockhill had an early chance after Mark Gillespie controlled a long diagonal ball on his chest but was denied by a fine smothering save from Greg Doherty. But Rasheney took over after this and a superb David McLaughlin cross across the six yard line eluded all before Declan McLaughlin grazed the outside of the post with an effort. They took the lead on 18 minutes after David McLaughlins initial effort came off the bar to John Grant who laid the ball back  to McLaughlin and his low shot squirmed under Eoin Colhoun. They went close again when Shane Cregan saw his attempted chip also rebound off the bar. In a rare attack the visitors Conor Graham had an effort deflected over the bar by keeper Doherty. But Rasheney resumed control of things with a Declan McLaughlin effort rebounding off a defender to Charlie Doherty whose shot was cleared off the line by Sean McColgan. They did make it two nil before the interval after John McLaughlins free along the right to brother David  who crossed for Peter Doherty to control on his chest before hooking the ball home for his first senior goal.There was little by way of goalmouth action until midway through the second half when the home side increased their lead. Charlie Doherty converted a penalty high past Colhoun after Anthony Doherty had been upended. Cockhill rallied and reduced the deficit on 75  minutes when Jay Bradley crossed from the byeline on the left for substitute Sean Bradley to finish low past Doherty from fourteen yards. They continued to press and Paul Duffy was denied by a superb John Grant tackle which deflected the ball over the bar. Cockhill then got a consolation with literally the last kick of the game when Duffys cross was converted at the back post by another substitute  Liam Bradley.

Inishowen Engineering Division Two    B   

Aileach clinch league title in style 

Aileach Youths 5

Rasheney  Res 0

Aileach Youth clinched the league title in fine style  in persistent rain at Lakeside on Sunday morning with this deserved win over bottom of the table Rasheney. After an even opening they  broke the deadlock in the 15th minute when Daithi Grant released Ciaran Bradley who chipped the advancing Fergal Diver. Grant then scored a superb goal to make it two nil when he  pounced on a headed clearance and  volleyed a twenty  yards effort to the top corner. Rasheney tried to reply and after Tiernan Doherty crossed Jake O Donnell fired just wide. But the home side made it three nil on the stroke of half time when  Bradley  beat the offside trap to race clear and slot low past Diver. Rasheney tried to reply and had the first opportunity of the second period when Dohertys effort was well saved by Clarke. But Aileach regained control and increased their lead when Kieran Doherty crossed for Dillon McGrory to slot home. Doherty then added the fifth goal with a sublime chip from just inside the area . They completed the scoring  on the stroke of full time when Bradley headed home McGrorys cross to complete his hat trick.




Clonmany Youths 4

Moville Res 3

Moville started this game well with Rowan Doherty firing straight at Killian McCarron in the home goal when well placed. They took the lead on 11 minutes after a corner fell to John McGeady to fire home at the back post. In a swift break five minutes later Daniel McFadden broke clear of the home defence but again fired at McCarron . Clonmany came more into the game then and after a corner fell on the edge of the area Gavin McDaids effort was well saved by Ryan Coyle. They equalised midway through the half when Ben Gill created space on the right and his cross was volleyed to the roof of the net by Aaron Porter from ten yards. Moville tried to respond and after Ronan McCarron released Conor Lafferty he was denied by a brilliant last ditch Jack Doherty tackle. Clonmany ended the half strongly with a Porter free held by Coyle before a Liam McGonigle effort following a corner crashed back off the post. In a brisk opening to the second half Porter for the home side saw an effort well saved by Coyle while at the other end  Lafferty had one attempt saved by McCarron and saw another drift just wide. Lafferty then fired Moville two one ahead with a superb free kick from the edge of the area to the top corner  but almost immediately in an identical scenario at the other end Porter replicated his effort to make it two all. Midway through the half Porter then set up Tiernan McDonald to fire low past Coyle and put Clonmany ahead for the first time.  Porter completed his hat trick in fine style evading two challenges before  curling a superb effort to the bottom corner.McDonald should have sealed it on 84 minutes but he blazed over from six yards. Moville struck back on 87 minutes when Rowan Doherty advanced on the right and crossed for Lafferty to score with a looping header and make it four three but the home side held on to claim the points.