Match Reports Sunday 16th October

Sunday 16th October  

FAI Junior Cup

Glengad United 1

Cockhill Youths 0 AET

Defences were on top in this closely contested cup tie for the opening half an hour but both sides had chances then. Paul Duffy for the visitors saw an effort from the edge of the area well saved by Ciaran Gallagher.

Then the same player was found by Darragh McDermott but  Gallagher produced an even better save. At the other end Matthew Byrne found Terence Doherty on the right and when he squared to Stephen Harley his first time effort was well saved by Eoin Colhoun. Colhoun was again called into action on the stroke of half tiem after Stephen Mclaughlin crossed for John G McDermott whose powerful effort was well saved as the half ended scoreless. The second half followed a similar pattern. Glengad had an early chance when John G McLaughlins clearance found Terence Doherty whose ball across the six yards box eluded all. At the other end Oisin Crawford crossed for  Ryan McDaid well placed but he fired straight at Gallagher.  On 70 minutesDoherty again broke on the right for the home side and crossed to substitute Joe Doherty but he fired just wide. The final chance of the ninety minutes fell to the visitors when Ryan McDaid latched onto a long ball but fired over the bar. In the first  period of extra time Glengads Stephen McLaughlin saw a free kick well gathered by Colhoun as chances were at a premium. With the penalty shootout looming the home side struck for the winner in the 108th minute when substitute Matthew Mooney broke on the right and crossed for Doherty to fire first time to the top corner.

Buncrana Hearts 3

Moville Celtic 0

The hearts had the first chance on 8 minutes after great work by Kieran McDaid  found Christy McKinley who was denied by a superb last ditch tackle. From McDaids corner Sean Mullan headed just over the bar. The home side opened the scoring on 16minutes after a superb Ryan Doherty ball over the top released Mullan  who advanced to drill low past Taylor Clarke in the Moville goal. Both McDaid and Mullan then went close with half chances before Movilles only threat came on 43 minutes. Substitute Lee McColgan overlapping on the right saw his cross cum shot drift just past Rory Kellys left hand post. Moville suffered a major blow within minutes of the restart after Shane Deery was redcarded reducing them to ten men. Buncrana  pushed forward with McDaid releasing  John Timlin but his effort was brilliantly blocked by McColgan.  Moville responded and Paul Smiths effort from distance  was gathered by Kelly. McDaid  was then denied by Clarke at the other end before the same player raced clear  but with Clarke to beat he fired wide. On 88 minutes Buncrana increased their lead after a supern Mullan header was brilliantly parried by Clarke but Mullan retrieved the ball and laid it off for Eoin Murphy to drill a twenty yards effort to the bottom corner. They added a third then with McDaid releasing substitute Bart Wesolowski to score with a calm finish.

Aileach FC 7

Glaslough 0

After 5 minutes  the home side carved out a good opening when Gareth McGlynn released Ethan Canning but his effort from 12 yards was just wide of Colin Farmer’s left hand post. Glaslough responded and Terence McDonald hit a speculative shot from 20 yards but his effort was well over Matthew Gallagher’s bar. On 20 minutes Aileach took the lead when Caolan Doherty fired a 25 yard free kick which Farmer did well to parry but Ethan Canning retrieved the ball for Aaron Nash to finish from close range. Minutes later it was two when Ethan Canning broke down the left and crossed for Gareth McGlynn to convert from six yards. On 35 minutes Glaslough broke down the right and his left wing cross was partially cleared and fell to John Kehoe who fired a fierce drive from 20 yards which Matthew Gallagher did well to save low to his left. On 40 minutes the home side made it three when Gavin Doherty picked the ball up 30 yards from goal and unleashed a superb drive which flew into the top corner giving Farmer no chance. 

With 10 minutes gone in the second half, Aileach made it four when Shane Mc Monagle got on the end of an Aaron Nash cross to head home from six yards. Number five arrived almost immediately from the restart when Nash got free down the right and crossed for Darren Mc Monagle to volley home from  eight yards. The home side were well on top of a tiring Glaslough side and Darren Mc Monagle made it six when he slid the ball home from 10 yards beyond the despairing dive of Colin Farmer. Aileach emptied the bench at this stage and with five minutes left Gavin Doherty completed the scoring when he beat the offside trap and finished well from  eight yards. 


Rathmullan  Celtic 5

Greencastle FC 2

Greencastle exploded  at the start of this game and were two ahead after only four minutes. In the second minute Shea McLaughlin fed Nigel McMonagle inside the area and he squared for Brennan Moore to slot home. A minute later a Nathan Harkin ball over the top was brilliantly controlled by McMnagle before lobbing the keeper from twenty five yards. It looked all over when McMonagle added a second goal in the 16th minute after Moore had slid the ball into his path. But the home side rallied and reduced the deficit when an inswinging Kevin Doran corner sailed all the way to the top corner. Greencastle responded with Michael  Barr unlucky to see  a header crash off the post. The home side then got a second goal after brilliant control from Owen Sheridan  who finished well from fourteen yards. Minutes before the break the visitors made it four two after Ciaran Diver won possession skipped past a challenge and  fired a brilliant effort to the top corner. Greencastle were content to absorb anything the home side could throw at them in the second half and midway through the half they broke quickly with CJ McHenry finishing off a flowing move to ease them into the next round.

Jackie Crossan Premier Division   

Illies Celtic 3

Culdaff  FC 3

 Illies started this game well and in the second minute  Liam Doherty blazed over the bar following an excellent Sean McCallion cross. Another cross from McCallion found Liam Grant in the fifteenth minute but he headed over.  Illies did break the deadlock midway through the half when Liam Doherty overlapped on the right onto Grants pass to drill low past Zach Conlon in the visitors goal. Culdaff rallied and drew level on the half hour mark when a superb pass from Ben Curley found Jack Mclaughlin who beat a defender and saw his shot deflect past Johnathan Noone in the home goal. Illies had the majority of possession but the visitors defence stood firm until the break. Illies regained the lead ten minutes into the second period when Paul Doherty despatched a superb free kick to the top corner from the edge of the area. But the visitors equalised again within minutes when after McLaughlin beat the offside trap to superbly lob Noone and make it two all. The visitors then stunned the home side when they took the lead after McLaughlin released substitute Micael Coyle and with his first touch he drilled low to the corner. But the home side were not to be denied and McCallion broke clear into the area before firing to the roof of the net from twelve yards to salvage a point.

Strand Hotel First  Division 


Dunree United 2

Dunree  stunned the home side when they opened the scoring on 9minutes after a Mark Moran corner was headed back across by Thomas Mulhern  where Ryan Bradley headed home. The home side tried to reply with Jack McCleans corner finding Darragh McIntyre but his header was cleared by a defender. Dunree then doubled their advantage when after another Moran corner fell to Liam Baldrick to slot home from six yards.  The Point tried hard to get back into the game before the break but the closest they came was McCleans effort from distance which flew just wide. The home started the second half well with Josh Boyle firing one effort just over before seeing another drift wide. Both sides were then reduced to ten men after Callum O Hagan and Liam  Baldrick were red carded after an  off the ball incident. Boyle was then denied by a superb tip over save from Adam Harrigan before  the keeper also gathered substitute Mark Murrays effort. They got a goal back in the 83rd minute when Boyle advanced through the middle cut across onto his right and fired a low shot across Harrigan to the bottom corner. Their last chance fell to Darragh McIntyre who latched onto a Sean McIntyre header but blazed over the bar from fifteen yards as Dunree held on for the points.


Redcastle United 3

Buncrana Res 2

In an entertaining opening half the home side went close on 9 minutes after Shaun Curran found Darragh McConway  but Oran McBride was equal to the task.  Buncrana responded with a Hugh McGonagle effort which took a deflection but Michael McCole reacted well to adjust. The visitors then took the lead midway through the half after a Cillian Downey effort crashed off the bar for Aaron McDaid to fire home. But the home side got back on terms on 33 minutes when Curran released McConway to lob the ball over McBride. Redcastle pressed hard then with both Alan Clarke and Marc Bell denied by good saves from McBride. But before the break the home side took the lead after Curran crossed for Josh McConalogue to head home from eight yards. Buncrana started the second half well and got back on terms on 52 minutes when Jerry Gill crossed for Eoin McNamee to fire past McCole. The home side then suffered a blow when Eoin McLaughlin was redcarded reducing them to ten men.With the game in the balance and both teams trying to push forward at every opportunity it was the home side who regained the lead in the 85th minute after Bells cross from the right fell to McConalogue to drill low past McBride.

Carn FC 6

Greencastle Youth 0

League leaders Carn dominated from the outset of this game and had raced into a commanding three goal lead by the break. Cade Cooke opened the scoring in the 8th minute after playing a neat one two with Kyran Cantwell before firing high past Evan Davenport.  The same two players combined again midway through the half for Cooke to square the ball to Girt Dzerins to slot home the second. After a clearance fell on the edge of the area Ross Farren volleyed home a superb effort to the bottom corner to leave the home side three nil up at the break. Ten minutes into the second half  Carn increased their lead after a superb solo run from Cooke ended with a sublime finish to the top corner. Cantwell then got on the score sheet when he beat a couple of defenders before finish well past replacement keeper Dean Mason on 70 minutes. Cooke then completed his hat trick with a superb effort to the top corner from the edge of the area. Greencastle kept going to the end and two later efforts from Christy Hegarty were capably dealt with by Ben Miller.

Clonmany Res 0

Aileach Res 1

This game did not come alive until the 22nd minute when the home sides Aaron Porter collected a throw in  and unleashed a dipping twenty five yards effort which Sean McGuinness turned over the bar. The visitors hit back and when Tom Doherty advanced on the right and fed Sean McHugh he fired over the bar from the edge of the area. The visitors had a let off then when a Conor Doherty cross was parried by McGuinness but his defenders completed the clearance.Aileach ended the half strongly with a Dermot Doherty free from twenty yards well saved by Kieran Friel  in the home goal. Aileach did take the lead minutes before the break after a Cathal McElhinney diagonal free found Stephen Doherty on the left and his low cross was slotted home by Dermot Doherty from eight yards.  Clonmany upped the tempo on the restart and were unlucky when a Conr Doherty header from Oisin hessians cross clipped the bar one the way over. On 57 minutes Porter s free from the edge of the area was superbly saved by McGuinness at full stretch. Their best chance came on 63 minutes when Hession raced clear but McGuinness stood tall to block his effort. Aileach hit back and a Dermot Doherty cross was parried by Friel but his defenders bailed him out and completed the clearance. Clonmany had the final chance when a log delivery from keeper Friel found Steve harkin who flicked a header just past the post.

Inishowen Engineering Division Two    

Cockhill Res 7

Illies Res 0

Cockhill came flying out the blocks from the start, racing in to a three goal lead inside the first 20 minutes. Dylan McDaid opened the scoring on 5 minutes after Luke Bradley played a great pass inside the Illies back four and Dylan McDaid showed great composure to run through and fire low in to the bottom corner past Ciaran Sharkey.Another slick move minutes later resulted in Kevin McDaid setting up Liam Bradley who made no mistake with his first time effort low past Ciaran Sharkey .Another few chances came and went for Cockhill as they continued to press and they made it three nil on 20 minutes when Dylan McDaid scored his second of the match from close range after good work by Sean Bradley. Illies were awarded an indirect free just inside the box when Cockhill’s keeper Darragh O’Donnell lifted a back pass. Cockhill defended the free well and the subsequent corner was well collected under pressure by Darragh O’Donnell. Cockhill stretched their lead just before half time when Dylan McDaid turned provider this time, returning the favour to set up Luke Bradley who finished well from six  yards to give Cockhill a hard earned four nil lead at the break.

Cockhill started the second half in the same manner as the first and could have stretched their lead within  minutes of the restart with a few efforts from Dylan McDaid and Liam Bradley going narrowly wide. Illies began to find a foothold in the match forcing Cockhill back but some solid defending from a number of set pieces kept them at bay. Cockhill got back into their rhythm and got their fifth on the hour mark as Dylan McDaid turned provider again and Liam Bradley scored his second of the match with a fine first time finish at the back post. Ronan Hegarty gave Illies a bit more of an attacking threat and he was denied a goal by a stunning fingertip save as his 20 yard screamer looked in all the way but was tipped round the post by Cockhill”s Darragh O’Donnell.

That lucky escape kicked Cockhill back into life and Connor McDaid pressed high forcing Illies defender  into a bad touch, winning possession and running through on goal he had the time and composure to pick his spot and slide it past the advancing Ciaran Sharkey.  With minutes remaining Dylan McDaid completed the scoring, netting his third of the match as Cockhill made it  seven.  Liam Bradley won the ball in midfield, played in Niall Breslin who in turn showed good pace to beat his man and then great awareness to unselfishly square the ball for Dylan McDaid to tap the ball in to the empty net from six yards for his first senior hat-trick, capping off a great individual performance with his hat trick and  assists.


Culdaff Res 3

Sea Rovers 4

In lovely conditions at Caratra Park the visitors took an early lead when they caught the home side on the break. Damien Ward slipped the ball through to Andrew Gallagher whose effort from the edge of the area was well parried by Dermot Callaghan  but the loose ball fell for Daniel Gallagher to slot home. Rovers increased their lead on 22 minutes  after Andrew Gallagher beat a defender and slotted past Callaghan from inside the area. But Culdaff responded and got a goal back after a Conor Farren free was met by Peter Doherty who powered a header to the roof of the net. Rovers spurned a great chance in the second half when  Gallaghers spot kick was well saved by Callaghan . Culdaff hit back and reduced the deficit on 78 minutes after Eugene Mclaughlin got on the end of  a Michael McFadden cross  and slotted home.  Culdaff looked to have snatched a point at the death after Peter Doherty converted from the penalty spot to make it three all. But in injury time the home defence failed to clear and Conor Kelly pounced on a loose ball to slot home.

Rasheney Res 0

Dunree Res 1

Dunree had an early chance when a Nevin McGovern effort was well tipped over by Fergal Diver in the home goal. Rasheney responded and Gareth McKeever saw his first time effort from Ryan O Donnells cross  blocked by a defender. On 20 minutes the home side were doubly unlucky after a Declan Keogh effort came off the post to O’Donnell  whose follow up effort came off the other post. Dunree took full advantage of this let off and broke the deadlock minutes later when a Gerry Farrell effort on the run was well parried by Diver but  Gary Breslin reacted first to drill the loose ball home. Breslin then spurned a great chance when he broke through but opted to pass and the chance was lost. Rasheney rallied with Ben McDaid denied by Philip Doherty who then produced a stunning point blank save on the stroke of half time to deny McKeever. Dunree had the better of the second half with Farrell firing wide before Cian Moran fired over when well placed. They had another good chance  but Farrell blasted over at the back post.  Rasheney almost made them pay when on 87 minutes McKeevers snapshot  produced a brilliant one hamded save from Doherty. Dunree had the final chance when Farrell broke clear from half way but shot over the bar when he should have done better.

Carn Res 3

Redcastle Res 0

Carn started the game quickly and almost took an early lead when Shay Fallon beat two men on the left and cut back for Dayton Cooke, only for Cooke’s strike to be well saved from Aidan Lynch in the Redcastle goal. Lynch was called into action a number of times in the half but he stood tall in the Redcastle goal as Carn pushed for an opening. Carn did manage to beat Lynch  before half time when Dayton Cookes pass fell to Mark Scott who unleashed an unstoppable strike from fifteen yards out into the top corner. Redcastle grew into the game after going a goal down and were unlucky not to be level when a long shot from Shay Sweeney was tipped over the bar by Gerard Crossan.  In the second half it was again Carn who started the brightest with Lynch making another save from Fallon. From the resulting corner Christy Doherty met the ball with a diving header at the front post to give Carn a two nil lead.  Redcastle pushed to get back into the game but a few free kicks into the box were dealt with comfortably by the Carn defence. Twenty  minutes from time it was three nil after  Geard Crossans long goal kick sent Shay Fallon through to finish well and  put the game to bed. Redcastle battled well right until the end but it was Carn who came away with the  points. 

QPS  Res 4

Glengad Res 1

In an entertaining game there were chances at both ends in the opening half an hour. For the visitors both Cathal McColgan and PJ McDaid had efforts well saved by Lee McColgan in the home  goal before McDaid broke clear but dragged his effort across goal and wide of the far post. The Point were the most dangerous and Aaron Scott was denied by keeper McLaughlin before Josh Mclaughlin fired wide and then Ultan McCool had a free kick saved also. The home side broke the deadlock on 43 minutes when a Josh Mclaughlin corner fell for Adam Harkin to fire home in a crowded goalmouth. On the restart McCool had a free kick well tipped over by Mclaughlin before the visitors levelled on 61 minutes. A John McDaid free kick delivery found Niall McColgan whose header was parried by Lee McColgan but PJ McDaid was on hand to slot the loose  ball home. The home side turned the game on its head with McCool despatching two superb free kicks to the top corner in the 68th and 70th minutes. They added a fourth late on after Josh McLaughlin converted a penalty low to the keepers left in the 85th minute after he had been fouled.

Rasheney FC 6

Moville Res 3

Rasheney took an early lead after David McLaughlin crossed for Cormac Dillon  who lifted the ball over Emmet McLaughlin. They increased their lead after 12 minutes when a Ryan Doherty effort was superbly parried away by McLaughlin but Tommy Doherty reacted first to slot home. Moville had a good spell then and Norbert Indyka saw his goalbound effort brilliantly saved by Sean Friel before Danny Murphy grazed the pots with an effort from the edge  of the area. Rasheney  then increased their lead on 28 minutes when a Ryan Doherty header from a corner was blocked by a defender but fell perfectly for Tommy Doherty to tap in. Cormac Dillon then added a fourth goal converting a David McLaughlin cross from close range in the 33rd minute.  The home side made it five nil before the interval after a clearance from the visitors keeper was collected by David McLaughlin who fired a sublime effort to the roof of the net past the stranded McLaughlin from twenty five yards.  Moville started the second half well and reduced the deficit when Evan Hudner converted a penalty after he  had been fouled. But Rasheny hit back and after Dillon saw an effort crash off the post  a Ryan Doherty effort from twenty yards deceived McLaughlin in the visitors goal to make it six one. Moville battled well and Conor Radcliffe fired a free kick over the wall and past Friel before another free from Radcliffe crashed off the bar and Hudner forced it home to make it six three. A looping delivery from Radcliffe fell to Matheus Indyka but he poked the ball just wide. Both Caylum Long and Tommy Doherty had late efforts fro the home side well saved by McLaughlin.

Aileach Youths 3

Carrowmena FC 1

Kieran Curran had an early chance for the home side  but he headed straight at Gerard  Gill in the visitors goal. Carrowmena responded with  Eddie Mcintyre firing just wide from a free kick. They took the lead then on 35 minutes after McIntyre threaded a fine pass for Paul McGowan  to slip the  ball under Dylan Clarke from fifteen yards.Aileach had the final chance but again Curran headed at Gill when well placed. Aileach upped the tempo on the resumption and equalised on 51 minutes when Dillon McGrory unleashed a dipping twenty five yards effort  to the roof of the net. Curran then rounded keeper Gill but from a tight angle his effort came back off the post. The visitors only chance of the second half  saw McIntyre ‘s corner headed over by Mike Price.  With time running out Aileach struck twice in the last five minutes to seal the points.  On 85 minutes Michale McClay poked home in a goalmouth scramble and two minutes later McGrory again fired to the top corner from twenty yards to give Aileach a three one win.