Match Reports Sunday 16th April

Inishowen Football League Fixtures  2022-23

Sunday 16th April

Ulster Junior Shield Final

Redcastle United 3

Strand Rovers (Donegal) 1

In a hugely entertaining first half there was numerous goalmouth incidents at both ends of the pitch on great conditions at Maginn Park .

Rovers began well with Jordan Saville latching onto a  ball over the top and unleashing an angled effort which Michael McCole gathered low to his right. Ryan Brennan then glanced a header from an Odhran Gallagher free wide of the left hand post. Redcastle replied and when Stephen Grant fed Darragh McConway he advanced to the edge of the area but shot over the bar. Rovers broke the deadlock in the 12th minute when a long kick out was flicked on to Daniel Ward who spread the ball to Matthew O Donnell on the right hand side of the area. O Donnell’s effort was parried by McCole but Cian McGee was perfectly placed to slot the loose ball home. Redcastle had a good spell after this with Shaun Currans free tipped onto the bar and over by  Cormac Hanlon before an Eoghan McLaughlin strike and McConways header both just cleared the crossbar.  Strand Rovers replied to this with Ward shoting well over before Gallaghers free kick from the right sneaked just past McCole s left hand post. The game turned in Cathal Faulkners side favour in a six minute spell from the half hour mark. First they equalised when Ronan Hoy nicked the ball off the toe of a defender and unleashed a brilliant shot to the roof of the net from sixteen yards. Six minutes later they took the lead when a McCole kick out was headed by McConway to Hoy inside the area and he  controlled before slamming low past Hanlon from ten yards. Redcastle were rampant at this stage and Jack McConalogue headed  Hoys cross inches wide before Hoy himself had a header from a Lee  Barr free flash across goal and narrowly past the post. For all that Strand Rovers almost equalised on the stroke of half time after a long throw in broke to Saville whose powerful low effort was blocked by the legs of McCole. There was less action in the second half but the first opportunity fell to Rovers after a misplaced defensive pass saw Ryan Brennan pounce but his effort was deflected wide by a last ditch Lee Barr block. Midway through the half Brennan flicked on another  long throw  for Saville who controlled turned and volleyed just wide. Minutes later they had another chance after Wards mazy run ended when he flicked the ball into Brennan whose overhead kick from eight yards landed on the roof of the net. Redcastle s greatest escape came on 70 minutes after James McCole s free from half way came off the bar and two powerful efforts were blocked and  deflected in quick succession. Redcastle regained a measure of control in the final ten minutes with substitute Gavin Grant crossing for fellow substitute  Alan Clarke who controlled well but his effort lacked power.  On the stroke of full time Clarke blocked a clearance and ran from half way along the left past a defender and along the end line and somehow saw his tame shot elude Hanlon and creep over the line to  seal victory. Deep in injury time a long range free from Gallagher was tipped over by McCole and that was the final action of an entertaining game.

Redcastle United

Strand Rovers

Jackie Crossan Premier Division

Buncrana Hearts 1

Glengad United 0

Prior to kick-off  Glengad players and officials provided a guard of honour for the newly crowned League Champions. The home side were first to threaten on four minutes when Nathan McEneff played in Bart Wesolowski but Ciaran Gallagher made a comfortable save. Ten minutes later Jamie McDaid got in down the left and pulled the ball back for McEneff whose shot was blocked by a defender. The visitors had a opportunity when from a corner the ball fell to John Gerard McLaughlin whose goalbound shot  was blocked. On twenty six minutes the visitors had a great chance when hesitancy in the home defense allowed Terence Doherty in but his attempted lob over O`Doherty just went over the bar . On thirty nine minutes James Adair crossed for Brown to cushion a lovely header down for Jamie McDaid but his shot was well saved by Gallagher. A minute before the break and the visitors had another opportunity Doherty crossed to the back post for Matthew Mooney whose header produced an excellent safe from O`Doherty. Three minutes after the interval Brown did well down the right and his cross found sub Kieran McDaid who headed for goal only to see Gallagher produce a wonderful save. McDaid was causing bother for the visitors and when he went on a trademark run beating a few defenders only to see Gallagher save once again. On sixty six minutes McDaid`s free found Aaron McDaid but once again Gallagher was up to the task pushing his header rounf the post. Buncrana broke the deadlock  when another McDaid set piece found Sean Mullan who guided a lovely header beyond the despairing dive of Gallagher. Glengad responded with Stephen McLaughin`s free finding  John Gerard McLaughlin  who headed across goal for John McDaid to head against the post. The Hearts saw out the remainder of the match to finish unbeaten in the league only conceding a remarkable  four goals.


Donegal Signs Challenge Cup Semi  Final

Illies  Celtic 4

Greencastle FC 2

Illies began well with Paddy Curran firing wide from an Ethan Doherty cross when well placed. The home side opened the scoring after Dominic Coyle found Brendan Doherty who flicked the ball on for Curran to volley to the roof of the net from twelve yards. Greencastle responded with a Michael Barr effort skimming the bar from thirty yards  on the half hour. They got back on terms then in the 40th minute after  a corner broke to Nigel McMonagle whose effort drew  a brilliant save from Johnathan Noone only for Barr  to pounce and slot home.Then on the stroke of half time the visitors took the lead when Brennan Moore fired a superb free kick to the roof of the net from the edge of the area. Illies responded well after the break and got back on terms on 55 minutes after a quick throw in released Frankie O Connor whose cross was steered low past Conor Browne at the back post by Liam Doherty. Both sides spurned good chances then. Firstly Moore fired wide after McMonagle had picked him out while at the other end Liam Doherty pulled the ball back for Brendan Grant who blazed over.  Illies regained the lead then  on 77 minutes after Liam Dohertys cross was superbly headed to the roof of the net by Brendan Grant at the back post. Greencastle pushed hard but the home defence stood firm and on the stroke of full time Illies added a fourth in a break away when Brendan Doherty  released substitute Sean McCallion  who chipped the advancing Browne and send Illies into a final meeting with division one champions Carn FC.

FR O Gara Cup  Semi Finals  

Carn Res 3

Cockhill Res 0

It was Cockhill who started the better of the two sides in the Fr O’Gara semi final at St Patrick’s Park without creating any real openings. The first real chance of the game fell to Carn after 20 minutes. Dayton Cooke’s through ball was met by Cormac McLaughin who slotted the ball low past Darragh O’Donnell in the Cockhill goal to give Carn the lead. Cockhill gathered themselves and  minutes before half time Dean O’Donnells twenty  yard shot whistled just wide of the Carn goal. A couple of Carn corners before the end of the half amounted to nothing with Mason McDaid winning their headers for Cockhill. In the second half again it was Cockhill who started brightly. Mason McDaids free kick from thirty yards out was well held by Carn keeper Daniel McDaid . The home side increased their lead on 70 minute with again Cooke the provider when his  low through ball from the edge of the box found Mark Scott and from six yards out who finished low into the right corner of O’Donnells goal. Moments later Carn got their third and it was Cooke and Scott who linked up once more. Cooke’s 30 yard pass fell to the onrushing Scott who from fifteen  yards drilled the ball low past O’Donnell giving him no chance. To Cockhills credit they didn’t give up and after Mark Doherty was fouled on the edge of the Carn box the resulting free kick  saw Mason McDaid drag  his shot wide of the Carn goal .

Rashenny FC 0

Dunree United 4

In good conditions at Trawbreaga Park  Dunree started this game well dominating possession and playing to a high tempo without creating any chances. Rashenny had the first opportunity in the 12th minute after John McLaughlins long range free was well held by Adam Harrigan. Declan McLaughlin then had a corner flash across the six yards area but there were no Rashenny attackers in sight. Dunree responded with Tommy Mulhern  firing over from twenty yards before Conor Barrett collected a clearance from a corner but again fired just over from outside the area. Rashenny ended the half well with Shane Gordon just failing to connect with a Declan Mclaughlin free at the back post. On the stroke of half time David Mclaughlin advanced on the left and cut inside to unleash an effort which Harrigan tipped over. First division Dunree upped the ante after the break and opened the scoring on 52 minutes after a Liam Baldrick cross found Conor Barrett who headed past Sean Friel from ten yards.  Baldrick then had an effort tipped over the bar by Friel before Barret ‘s dangerous cross was cleared. After a scramble in the home penalty area the ball fell to Mark Moran and he put Dunree two up drilling home from the edge of the area. Rashenny tried to respond and an inswinging  minutes  when Caylum Long corner was parried away  by Harrigan under pressure.  But on 75 minutes Dunree sealed the tie and their passage to the final after Mulhern broke clear on the right and advanced into the area to shoot low past Friel.  It was all Dunree now and a Sean McColgan cross glanced off the face of the crossbar before they completed the scoring in the 90th minute with Moran breaking away and shooting to the bottom corner from the edge of the area.


Inish  Engineering  Division Two    A    

Sea Rovers 1

Culdaff  Res 0

 The o pening half was a close hard fought affair with very little chances created by either teams and defences on top for the most part. It took until the 35th minute for the first chance  when a long ball from Rovers keeper Glenn Watson was well controlled by Declan Mc Gonagle  whose   shot was well saved by Culdaffs Peter Doherty.  In the last kick of the first half  Culdaffs Euan Mc Feely well hit effort  forced Glenn Watson into making a fine save to leave it scoreless at the interval. A good bit of play between Oisin Hasson and John Doherty saw the latte  put the perfect pass through for Andrew Gallagher but the Culdaff keeper Peter Doherty read it well. Culdaff broke and a good cross in by Darren Mc Larkey found Niall Gordan whose header went just wide. A fine ball then  from Oisin Hasson to Andrew Gallagher saw his shot well saved by Peter Doherty. Culdaff were very dominant at this stage of the game and against the run of play Rovers broke with a pass from Oisin Hasson saw Andrew Gallagher forcing Peter Doherty into another fine save only for the rebound to fall to Declan Mc Gonagle who tapped in from close range as Rovers held on for the win but Culdaff will feel  they should have got some thing from the game.

Inish  Engineering  Division Two    B     

Dunree Res 0


The home side started well but a defensive error in the 10th minute allowed Aaron Scott to calmly finish past Oran Doherty . The Point were on top at this stage but dogged defending by the home side until Cillian McEleney rifled one from twenty yards to the top corner made it two nil just before the break. The visitors  dominated after the break with Scott adding two goals in the 55th and 75th Minute to complete his hat trick.  Josh Mclaughlin then got in on the scoring act  to make it five and McEleney made it six nil with another  cool finish. They completed the scoring in the 90th minute after Ross Nicholas added the swventh.


Aileach  Youths 2

Carrowmena  FC 1

The visitors had the first chance when Eddie McIntyre fed Adam Harkin but he fired just over from distance. Aileach replied and Kevin Boyle shot narrowly wide before  a Shay Cuffe effort was superbly saved by Michael Noone in the visitors goal.Aileach broke the deadlock on the half hour after Benny Hegarty released Boyle who finished well from twelve yards. They went close again with a Michael McElroy effort well saved by Noone. Carrowmena responded with Declan McGuinness going close before a goal bound effort from Harkin was superbly tipped over by Dylan Porter on the stroke of half time. On the restart  Noone tipped a Dermot Doherty effort over the bar while at the other end a Gerard Gill effort was again superbly tipped around the post by Porter. But from the corner McGuinness rose highest to head home Gills corner and get the visitors back on terms. With little between the teams the home side struck for a late winner after Martin McDermott split the visitors defence for Paul Eyre  to slot past Noone for his first senior club to clinch the points.


Redcastle Res 4

Rashenny Res 2

Redcastle had the opening chance after  Kealan Henry broke clear but fired wide when well placed. Rasheney replied and Gareth McKeever  shot across the face of redcastle goal  but past the post. Midway through the half the home side went close again after  Henry  shot straight at the keeper. Redcastleopened the scoring on the half hour with Shay Sweeney  finishing well low into the bottom corner from twelve yards. Sweeney then added a second goal before the break to leave the home side in a good position. But Rashenny began the second half well  forcing a number of corners and reduced the deficit following a corner when   Aaron Cregan converted  from close range. The visitors then stunned the home side when they made it two all with McKeever    finishing well after good build up. But straight from the centre Redcastle regained the lead when Jason Lynch s cross cum shot deceiving the visiting defenders and landing in the net. With Rashenny pushing the home side broke and James Farren added the fourth to seal the points.