Match Reports Sunday 15th September

Jackie Crossan Premier Division            

Buncrana Hearts               3        

Culdaff FC                            1

Buncrana got a dream start when they scored in the opening minute after Kieran McDaid advanced on the left and crossed for Gerard McLaughlin to slot home from close range.

McDaid then fired  over the bar before the visitors got back on terms when a great Jack O’Brien cross found Aiden Cunningham whose superb glancing header nestled in the bottom corner. Buncrana took control then with Mclaughlin firing one effort wide before heading over another chance. Culdaff replied and Damien Duffy saw a twenty five yards free shave the outside of the post with Eoghan O’Doherty beaten. Before the break a mazy run by McDaid took him past three defenders  before he poked wide. Culdaff were dealt a real body blow  when Conor Keddy was red carded ten minutes into the second period. Buncrana then went close with McLaughlin firing just wide. Culdaff had a great chance after a superb burst by Bryan McCandless on 71 minutes took him into the area but he fired just past the post.  Within minutes the home side then regained the lead when a pinpoint Michael Caroll cross was superbly headed  to the top corner by McLaughlin. Shane Dillon then had a header from a corner superbly saved by Thomas O Brien. The hearts sealed the points in the final minute after Declan Fullerton’s cross was again superbly headed home by McLaughlin.

Cockhill Celtic Yths                       4

Illies Celtic                          2

Cockhill will feel relieved to get over the line in this fixture after leading 4-0 at one stage only for them to let their local neighbours Illies back into the contest with two quick goals midway through the second period.Cockhill had the first chance on 6 minutes when an Adam McLaughlin free from 25 yards out, on the left, was sneaking in at the near post only for Illies keeper Johnny Noone to get across with a strong hand low to his right; Noone gathering at the second attempt with Mark McDaid ready to pounce. Illies responded and Liam Doherty ghosted his was into the box on 12 minutes to shoot at goal from six yards but Liam McGonagle was up to the task saving low to his left with the ball eventually cleared by Michael Noone. Cockhill had another effort saved by Noone on 14 minutes when they broke at pace from a Illies corner with Mark McDaid feeding Adam Duffy wide on the left and his square pass was picked up by Christy Duffy 25 yards from goal but the midfielder failed to get a proper connection with his effort and the ball was gathered low to his right by Noone. The home side opened the scoring on 25 minutes when Adam Duffy swivelled on the ball 8 yards from goal to shoot powerfully right footed to the net, giving Noone no chance, after Illies failed to clear a McLaughlin corner from the right. Cockhill should have added a second on 35 minutes when Adam McLaughlin dragged his shot wide from the penalty spot after a great run and cross from Keegan Hegarty on the right. Illies at times looked dangerous with Kevin McGonagle & James McGonagle always an outlet with their pace in behind. On 38 minutes McGonagle got in down the left and his ball across looked a certain goal for Domnick Coyle only for a last ditch challenge by Shane A Doherty round on the cover. A great team goal on 44 minutes put Cockhill two up at the break. Keeper McGonagle passed the ball to Bradley Callaghan in the midfield and he turned to pass the ball to McDaid wide on the touchline who released Duffy in the inside left channel, Callaghan continued his run to receive a pass from Duffy just inside the area before opening up his body to curl a delightful shot right-footed past Noone from 18 yards on the angle with the keeper having no chance.Illies started the brighter in the opening minutes of the second period and young Brendan Doherty, on for his brother Liam who unfortunately got injured in the opening period, was causing Cockhill a few problems down the right. On 47 minutes he got the better of his man but his ball into the box was gathered by Coyle only for Cockhills Noone to spot the danger and clear the ball. Illies will be disappointed with the third goal they conceded on 48 minutes as they tried to play out from the back Adam McLaughlin pounced on the keeper Noone when in possession to rob him off the ball and tap home to the unguarded net from 6 yards out. Cockhill added their fourth goal on 63 minutes when Christy Duffy smashed the ball past Noone from 12 yards out in the middle of the 18-yard box after great build up play by Mark McDaid on the left. Cockhill made a few changes on 65 minutes to freshen thing up but conceded a goal on 69 minutes when Paul Doherty was afforded too much time in the midfield and when he received a pass from his brother Brendan he hit a speculative effort from 35 yards out that looped high over McGonagle in the Cockhill net to make the score 4-1. Illies unsettled the home side who seemed to lose their composure and the visitors hit a second on 73 minutes when the home side got sloppy in possession and Liam Grant won the ball for Illies high up the pitch and after exchanging passes with Kevin McGonagle the young full back squared the ball to the unmarked Domnick Coyle who side-footed to the unguarded net from 5 yards out. Cockhill gained control again and started to create other openings as Illies pushed for a third. On 83 minutes Keegan Hegarty was fouled in the box only for Adam Duffy to see his weak penalty effort saved by keeper Noone diving low to his right. The final action of the game saw the  referee  brandish two harsh red cards for an altercation deep in the Illies right back area as the home side try to see out the game with Adam Duffy and Kevin McGnagle getting their marching orders.

Glengad United                 1         

Greencastle FC                  0

Glengad dominated for long periods of the opening half and had an early  chance when Terence Doherty crossed for Michael Byrne whose effort clipped the outside of the post. They took the lead on 21 minutes after James McKinney’s free fell to Cathal McDaid on the edge of the area and his effort was brilliantly saved by Dyaln Doherty but Byrne pounced to drill home the loose ball. They could have added a second when Conor Barrow s cross found Ternece Doherty but his effort was again well saved by Doherty. All the visitors could muster in reply was a long range Nigel McMonagle effort which was saved by Kevin McLaughlin in the home goal. Glengad had the first chance  of the second half when McKinney’s cross fell to Byrne whose effort was brilliantly saved by Doherty but Terence Doherty blazed the rebound over. Greencastle had a spell then with Christy Hegarty racing onto a James Henry pass but firing weakly at Kevin McLaughlin. Their best chance came on 77 minutes when Stephen Grant raced up the right and crossed for McMonagle whose first time effort crashed off the bar. Glengad should have sealed it then when Dillon Ruddy sent Terence Doherty clear and he rounded the keeper but somehow blazed over from twelve yards.

Aileach FC                6         

Carn FC                     0

Aileach took the lead after 8 minute when a fine 40 yard pass by Cathal McElhinney found Keith McColgan and the wing back raced to the bye line and crossed for Aaron Nash to finish past Gerard Crossan from  six yards.Number two  followed 5 minutes later after a short corner found Gavin Doherty at the back post and he headed across for brother Dermot to head home. Carn responded well and Brandon Browne fired just over before Darragh Deery caught an Aileach defender in possession but was denied by a last ditch tackle by Thomas McMonagle. A combination of poor finishing by the home side and good defending and goalkeeping by the visitors kept the score at two until half time .Aileach upped the pace at the beginning of the second half and were three up on 50 minutes when Nash turned home a Darren McMonagle cross from the right past Crossan from close range. The fourth  arrived shortly after when Darren McMonagle got round his full back and finished low to Crossan’s right. On 65minutes Crossan did well to deny Dermot Doherty from the penalty spot.With the visitors tiring Aileach ran in two more goals before the end with Nash completing his hat trick and Anthony Doherty scoring off the bench.

Strand Hotel First  Division

Rasheney FC           0                    

Aileach Res            2

Aileach dominated for long spells and had the first chance when Shane McMonagle fired wide after a corner had broken for him. At the other end Paul McConalogue had a header saved by David McGeady.  Paddy Curran then dragged a shot wide before seeing a header from a Conor Bradley cross sail over. In between those chances Conor Bradley was denied by a smothering save from Roger McGilloway. They broke the deadlock on 40 minutes after McMonagle’s low cross found Chris McGarrigle whose sweetly struck effort from sixteen yards nestled in the bottom corner. Rasheney responded and when Adam Kirkland turned well inside the area his rising shot was palmed away by McGeady. Aileach had the final chance of the half when Killian O’Rourke fired a low shot just past the post. Aileach started the second half well and a Conor Bradley cross cum shot was clawed away by McGilloway from under the bar.Rasheney went close on the hour mark when a Charlie Doherty free found Paul McConalogue who fired wide from close range. Aileach regained control with Bradley firing at McGilloway and O’Rourke shooting over.  When McMonagle broke clear in a two on one with Stephen Doherty his attempted square ball was intercepted by McGilloway. They sealed the points when O’Rourke’s cross deflected off a defender and into the net on 83 minutes.

Clonmany Shamrocks       4

Dunree United                   0

Clonmany started brightly and Mark McLaughlin hit the side netting in the 1st minute after being put through by Jason Devlin’s pass. Clonmany took the lead in the 8th minute when Jason Devlin ran on to Jake Harkin’s pass on the inside left channel and finished cooly past Dunree keeper John Lafferty. Clonmany added a second goal in the 24th minute when Jason Devlin found himself in space on the edge of the box and he squared the ball to Mark McLaughlin who shot low to the bottom corner giving John Lafferty no chance.The Dunree keeper came to their rescue two minutes later when he saved well from Jason Devlin’s shot after he received Brendan Doherty’s pass from the right wing. On the cusp of half-time Clonmany added a third when Jason Devlin took Brendan Doherty’s pass in the box and although John Lafferty managed to get a hand to it he could’nt keep it out and it had crossed the goal-line before a despairing clearance from Dermot Graham.The first chance of the second half came in the 55th minute when Jason Devlin laid off a pass for over-lapping left back Matthew Brennan but John Lafferty spread himself well and he blocked Matthew’s shot.It was a short reprieve for Dunree as three minutes later Alex McFadden was fouled on the right hand side of the box and Mark McLaughlin chipped the free-kick into a space around the penalty spot and an in-rushing Liam Hirrell directed his header to the top corner giving the Dunree keeper no chance.Straight from kick-off Dunree attacked down the left wing and Matthew Doherty hit a speculative shot from around 25 yards out which had Paddy Harkin scrambling back but it hit the crossbar and was cleared to safety. Clonmany striker Pearce McCarron had a good chance in the 71st minute when he was put through one on one with John Lafferty but the Dunree keeper was out quickly and made a good save.Mark McLaughlin almost grabbed a second on the day in the 77th minute when he took Alex McFadden’s lobbed pass in his stride but shot narrowly wide.The last chance of the match came in the 81st minute when a flowing move from their own half saw Pearce McCarron break away to the right side of the Dunree box before he squared to Mark McLaughlin on the 18 yard line who dummied  it letting roll over to Jason Devlin in space on the left side but Jason’s shot went over the bar.

QPS                            2                     

Glengad Res            2

Glengad started this game the better and Graham Morgan had an effort tipped round the post by Aiden Lynch before Gary Kelly saw a shot tipped onto the post. Then on 21 minutes the home side took the lead after a Darragh McIntyre free was parried by Michael McLaughlin and substitute Caolan McColgan reacted first to slot home. Glengad went close again when another substitute Paul McDermott advanced and unleashed an effort which Lynch did well to tip onto the bar. The Point then doubled their lead when a short corner to Deaglan Bowen saw his cross find Andrew Barr to head inside the far post. Glengad finished the half very strongly with McDermott firing a free just wide before the same player had a penalty saved by Lynch after Gary Kelly had been impeded in the area. Another chance was spurned on the stroke of half time when McDermott’s cross found Morgan who fired over from ten yards. Glengad had the first chance of the second period when McDermott saw his header beat Lynch but cleared off the line by Bowen.The point replied and David Healy had a free kick saved by McLaughlin. At the other end substitute Nathan McConalogue saw his effort turned round the post by Lynch. The home side then had three chances to seal the tie. Firstly John McCluskey fired wide when well placed before Caolan McColgan had two chances saved by McLaughlin.Glengad got a goal back then on 82minutes when McDermott fired a brilliant free kick to the top corner from the corner of the area. In the final minute they gained a well deserved point after McDermott stepped up to take another penalty and this time placed the ball low in the corner past Lynch.

Greencastle Res                2

Redcastle Utd                    2

The visitors took the lead in this clash on 15 minutes after Drew McKinney cut in from the right and drilled low past Seamus  Bovaird from sixteen yards. The home side got back on terms on 32 minutes when Marc Doherty  released Joe Doherty to round Michael McCole and slot home. Redcastle then regained the lead on 42 minutes when McKinney advanced in midfield and fired a stunning twenty five yards effort to the top corner. But again the home side levelled after Joe Doherty ‘s corner fell to Shaun Cavanagh whose effort was blocked but Jude Harkin pounced to fire high past McCole. Just before the break Shane McColgan for the visitors fired narrowly over the bar.There was plenty of action in the second half with Ronan Doherty and Andrew Peoples off target with headers for the home side before Doherty had an effort deflected onto the post by McCole. At the other end Alan Clarke fired wide while Darragh McConway had a shot saved by Bovaird. The best chance of the half fell to the home side when Doherty raced clear but McCole advanced to smother at his feet before Peoples saw a header clip the bar. Redcastle too had chances with substitute Evan Craig racing clear but seeing his chip drift wide before Ronan Hoy also fired narrowly wide.

Donegal Signs Knockout Shield    

Carn Res                               3          (Win 6.5 on penalties)

Carrowmena FC                 3                     

Carn got the first chance on 8 minutes when Dayton Cooke released Paul Stevens on the right wing and he rounded the defender and squared it for Dion Diver but he fired wide. Carrowmena then took the lead  when Sammy Bredin made a great run on the right wing and rounded the defender and squared it for Gerard Gill who shot low to the left corner of the net from 10 yards. Carrowmena almost doubled their lead on 17 minutes after Ryan McLaughlin released Bredin on the right wing and after  rounding the defender his shot  was parried away at the post by Kyle Harkin. Carn nearly got the equalizer on 29 minutes when Ryan Diver Released Dayton Cooke who found Cian Burke whose shot low to the left corner was well tidied up by Brian Houghton in the Carrowmena goal. Carrowmena almost scored in the last minute of the  half when Gerard Gill’ s free kick from 25 yards was parried away by Harkin.

Carrowmena started the better team in the second half and almost doubled their lead  on 52 minutes when Gill released Bredin on the right wing who laid it off for Declan McGuinness who fired wide wide from 10 yards. Carn went close on 68 minutes when Kyran Cantwell long pass down the right wing  found Dayton Cooke who rounded the defender and squared it for Dion Diver who shot over the bar from 10 yards. Carn got the equalizer on 87 minutes after a Declan  McGonagle corner on the right and Conor Burke  put it to the top of the net from 10 yards. Carn went in front in the first minute of extra time when  McGonagle released Kyran cantwell on the right wing who rounded the defender and shot low to the bottom right corner of the net from 10 yards. Carrowmena equalized on 97 minutes when Raymond Campbell was upended in the box and Gill converted the resulting penalty. Carn regained the lead on 103 minutes after Cantwell released Dion Diver on the right wing and passed it to Cian Burke who shot high to the top of the net from 10 yards. But Carrowmena equalized again on 106 minutes when Gill broke on the right wing and squared it for Declan McGuinness who shot low to the bottom right corner of the net from 15 yards.  In the shootout the home side advanced to the quarter final.

Dunree Res                         1

Clonmany Celtic                2

There was little between the teams in the opening part of the game but the home side opened the scoring on 22 minutes when after a Ryan Toland effort was saved by Kevin Friel the rebound was seized on by Ryan O’Donnell to slot home. But the visitors got back on terms before the interval when Raymond McDaid slotted home after a Karl Harkin effort was well parried by John Lafferty in the home goal. Clonmany had the first chance of the second half on 57 minutes when a Niall McDaid header was well saved by Lafferty. Dunree replied with Tommy Doherty  firing narrowly wide with an attempted lob over Friel. The home side went close again with Evan barry seeing his effort cleared off the line. The visitors grabbed the winner in stoppage time after the home defence failed to clear and John Doherty pounced to drill home.

Aileach Youths                   4

Moville Res                         0

After an even opening the home side took the lead on 19 minutes when Aaron Doherty raced onto a long clearance to fire home from fifteen yards. They doubled their lead on the half hour mark with Doherty crossing for Darren Bradley to head home from six yards. In a replica move Bradley headed home his second and his sides third on 38 minutes. Moville replied before the break with Christy McGeoghaghan’s attempted chip just clearing the bar. After the break the visitors went close again after Conor Lafferty got in behind the defence and saw his dangerous cross hacked clear. Aileach upped the tempo and sealed their passage to the quarter final when Josh Lynch cut the ball back for Aaron Doherty to control and calmly slot to the bottom corner.Moville did apply late pressure  but failed to create clear chances.

Donegal Signs Knockout Shield Quarter Final

Illies Res                  4

Rasheney Res         1

Illies advanced to the semi final with a comprehensive win in the end. They started well and in the opening stages Ronan Hegarty twice was denied by Roger McGilloway in the Rasheney goal. But on 21 minutes they broke the deadlock after Hegarty released Marty Coyle to fire low to the corner from twelve yards. They doubled their lead minutes later after Coyle’s corner found Seamus O’Donnell to head high past McGilloway. Rasheney got a goal back before the break when Dermot Doherty fed Brendan Grant who sidestepped a defender and slotted low past Graham Doherty. Rasheney had a good chance after the break when Grant advanced past a defender into the area but Doherty made a fine save smothering the ball at his feet. On the hour Illies made it three one when Hegarty beat his man and fired to the roof of the net from fifteen yards.They sealed the tie when substitute Joe McLaughlin raced onto Frankie O Connor’s through ball to fire low past McGilloway.

Inishowen Engineering Division Two             

Culdaff Res              0

Redcastle Res        0

Played on Saturday night the homeside had an early chance when Jack McLaughlin cut in from the right and his effort  was tipped over by Ryan McCole. On 5minutes a Mark Doherty corner found the unmarked Dermot Diver who headed wide.    Midway through the half Matthew Crampsey saw a powerful effort tipped round the post by McCole. Redcastle replied with a Terry McColgan shot rising just over the bar.Before the break the home side had chances through Cathal McGrenaghan and Ben Curley but both failed to hit the target.  Redcastle had a couple of chances in the second period with McColgan and James Curran off target when well placed. Culdaff had a lot of possession but McLaughlin fired narrowly wide before in the dying minutes Crampsey  saw his glancing header cleared off the line as the game ended scoreless.