Match Reports Sunday 15th October

Clubman Shirts League Cup Semi Finals 

Glengad  United          1

Aileach  FC                   0

Glengad started well and on 11minutes Shane Canning and Paddy McDermott combined to release Terence Doherty who fired narrowly wide from the edge of the area.

The home side broke the deadlock when Paul McGonigle fed Terence Doherty on the left and he crossed for Paddy McDermott to shoot high past Peter Devlin from eight yards. Aileach’s first chance came on 25 minutes when a Ronan Coyle free was not cleared and was hacked away by a defender. In the second period on 56 minutes a John G McDermott  free found McGonigle who headed across for James McKinney whose close rnage volley was brilliantly saved by Devlin. Aileach responded with Darren McMonagle breaking on the left and feeding Coyle but he scuffed his effort from eight yards. Aileach were dominating possession but the home defence stood firm. On 85 minutes Gareth McGlynn  fed Stephen Doherty in a one on one but Christy McLaughlin( who had replaced Gerard Crossan ) blocked his weak effort. Aileach had another chance after good work by Coyle who picked out McGlynn whose effort skimmed the bar.

Redcastle United                  2

Illies Celtic                             0

Redcastle advanced to the league cup final with a deserved victory over Illies Celtic. They got off to the dream start in the first minute when Aaron Nash chased down a back pass and when his initial shot was blocked,  he reacted first to  tap into the empty net . Redcastle dominated the early stages and Odie Mc Colgan had a number of opportunities to increase their lead but both chances fell to his weaker foot and were spurned.  Illies were restricted to half chances and came closest when Dominick Dohertys shot in a crowded area spun up and was collected by keeper McCole. Illies began the second half well and had a good opportunity whenMartin Coyle shot just wide off the post from a quick free kick. Redcastle were now finding it difficult to get a hold of the game and had a let off when Paddy Doherty headed over from a Coyle corner.  Redcastle began to settle

and created a chance themselves when Denim  Mclaughlin set up Cahir  Mclaughlin on eighty minutes, but although he controlled well,  he failed to hit the target and blasted over. The home side put the game beyond doubt in the final minute when Nash collected a throw in and crossed for Jack McConnellogue to  slot home at the back post.

Jackie Crossan Premier Division             2pm

Clonmany Shamrocks           6

QPS                                         1

After an even opening the shamrocks broke the deadlock on 17 minutes when after a corner a Steve Harkin header was deflected past David Bell by his own defender. Midway through the half it became two after another corner found Paddy Doherty who headed across for Harkin to fire home from twelve yards. Ferghal Harkin then fired just over from the edge of the area as the half ended. In the opening minute of the second period Clonmany made it three nil when Paddy Doherty fed Mark McLaughlin and his twenty yards effort deceived Bell in the point goal. Clonmany continued on top with McLaughlin crossing for Jason Devlin who slipped  at the vital moment. But on 56 minutes a good move on the right saw Oisin Hession win possession and squared for Dessie Doherty and when his effort was blocked  Jason Devlin fired the loose ball home.The point came more into the game with Conor Barrow and Adam Harkin and substitute John McCloskey trying hard. But on 69 minutes Ferghal Harkin fed Jason Doherty who cut in and fired low past Bell to make it five nil. The visitors reduced the deficit with McCloskey squaring the ball across for Barrow to nip in between defenders and slot home. But Clonmany had the final say when a Mark McLaughlin free was blocked and he dinked a ball over the top for Paddy Doherty to run onto , control turn and slot home.

Greencastle FC            2

Culdaff  FC                    3

The home side started well with Stephen Grant cutting in but firing over the bar before a Nigel McMonagle effort was well saved by Daniel Mullarkey. Culdaff stunned the home side on 6minutds when Conor Keddy latched onto a long clearance and fired in a shot which went in off the post despite Dylan Doherty getting a finger to the shot. Greencastle replied with Matthew Henry denied by Mullarkey while at the other end Doherty smothered well at the feet of Ryan Greene.  Joe Doherty for the home side fired just wide before Tony  McClenaghan headed narrowly over. McClenaghan then burst down the right and crossed for Joe Doherty but Mullarkey saved  well Culdaff lifted the pressure with Jack O Brien firing a free just over the bar before Aiden Cunningham crossed for O’Brien to fire over from just inside the area. Greencastle replied  with McMonagle firing  across goal and wide before the same player had an effort blocked by Dermot Diver. On the stroke of half time Keddy raced onto a long ball and rounded Doherty to fire in off the post.  Greencastle upped the tempo at the start of the second  period with Jamie McCormick firing narrowly wide before a long kick out found McMonagle whose effort was well saved by Mullarkey. They reduced the deficit on the hour after Gerry Gill was upended and he picked himself up to hammer down the middle. McClenaghan then fired half volley just over the bar at the back post before substitute David Houston had an effort blocked. They got back on terms when a Houston ffort was tipped onto the bar and McMonagle reacted first to drill the ball home. Play was swining from end to end with Michael Coyle denied by the legs of Doherty in the home goal before Aiden Cunningham fed Jack O Brien who turned and scored with a brilliant chip from twenty yards out to restore their lead. Greencastle threw everything forward with McMoangle seeing an effort deflected wide, Christy Hegarty heading wide and Matthew Henry laying off for Gill who fired over. At the other end Keddy advanced and saw his effort blocked by Sean McKinney. The last chance fell to the home side when McMonagle cut in and crossed for McClenaghan who volleyed just over.

Strand Hotel Division One

Moville Celtic               1

Buncrana Res               1

This top of the table clash ended with honours even in a game which could have gone anyway. In the early exchanges Michael McNaught and Conor Doherty both had efforts saved by Ryan O Sullivan in the Buncrana goal. At the other end  Pat Loughery and Kevin McColgan saw well struck efforts well saved by Ryan Cole in the Moville goal. Buncrana had a good spell then with Loughery seeing an effort turned round the post by Coyle  who then advanced to block a Stephen McHugh effort as he bore down on goal. Then on 37 minutes Buncrana broke the deadlock when Loughery fed John Timlin and he composed himself before slotting low past Coyle. Mchugh then saw his chip find Timlin but again Coyle was equal to the task. Moville replied before the break with Norbert Indyka breaking into the area but denied by a superb Brendan Murphy tackle. Then on the stroke of half time Indyka showed great strength to collect a free kick and lay it off for Tony Boyce to drive an angled effort across O’Sullivan and into the far corner. Play swung from end to end on the restart and Buncrana substitute Adam Doherty dragged an effort across goal and wide while at the other end Boyce had a long range effort saved. Then McHugh ghosted past three men but was denied by Coyle before a brilliant run and cross by Indyka eluded all when a tap in was all that was required. Buncrana ‘s Doherty then blasted over the bar before a sublime McHugh chip was cleared off the line by Finn McLaughlin on 83 minutes. The final chance fell to the home side on the  stroke of full time when Conor Doherty found space on the edge of the area but saw his effort gathered at the second attempt by O’Sullivan.

Rasheney FC                 4      

Cockhill Youths  0

In the 2nd minute a Charlie Doherty header from a corner for Rasheney was kicked off the line by Shay McLaughlin. Cockhill replied with a diagonal free by Kevin Doherty finding Michael O Doherty who headed just wide. Rasheney took the lead when Charlie Doherty despatched a twenty two yards free around the wall and into the bottom corner past Declan Caldwell. On 28 minutes McDaid saw a good effort well saved by Sean Friel. Rasheney made it two nil on the half hour after great work by Declan McLaughlin on the left saw his cross swept high past Caldwell by Brendan Doherty. A similar move on 36 minutes saw Doherty’s effort this time skim the bar on its way over. In the opening minute of the second half Brendan Doherty brokeon the right and crossed for McLaughlin whose effort was turned past the post by a defender. Cockhill’s Michael o Doherty had an effort brilliantly tipped over by Friel before both Darragh McDermott and Mark McDaid  totally miscued when well placed. McDermott then broke through and fired past Friel but just wide. Rasheney weathered the storm when Michael Toland released substitute Matthew McLaughlin and he crossed for Charlie Doherty to sidefoot home. Michael Owen Doherty had another good effort saved by Friel before McDermott had a free palmed out to Shane Doherty who fired over. Rasheney sealed the points on 85 minutes when Toland crossed for another substitute Damien Friel to glance a header past Caldwell. Brendan Doherty had the final chance but Caldwell made an excellent save.

Sea Rovers          0                                   

Aileach Res         1

After a quiet opening to the game the visitors had the first chance on 15 minutes when James Wallace unleashed a powerful effort but Glen Watson superbly tipped his effort around the post. They broke the deadlock on 27 minutes when an excellent  cross from Eamon Brown found Ruairi Bradley and he swept the ball home from fourteen yards.  Rovers came more into the game after this and just before the break Damien Ward was unlucky to see his well struck free crash off the post. Aileach started the second period well and substitute Stephen Tabbitt headed Brown’s cross just over before Stephen O Donnell got on the end of Bradley’s cross but fired wide. Rovers upped the tempo in the last quarter and Gary Doherty fired just over from distance before a Ward free was brilliantly turned round the post by David McGeady. From the corner the ball broke to Kieran McNicholas and his piledriver was again superbly tipped over by McGeady. Rovers last chance fell to William Logan but he fired a free kick just over as Aileach took the points.

Gleneely Colts              5

Clonmany Res              1

The first chance fell to the Colts when a Cory O Brien cross fell to Nathan McLaughlin whose effort was well blocked by Fergal Bradley. They took the lead on 7 minutes when O’Brien was upended in the area and Billy McCann fired the kick low to Bradleys right. On the half hour McLaughlin’s corner was flicked on by JP McDermott but was cleared off the line by Eamon Doherty. Minutes later Clonmanys Micael Devlin was off target from inside the area. They had another chance when Paul Devlin broke on the right and crossed for Devlin who shot straight at Adrian Duffy when well placed. The last chance of the half fell to Clonmany also but Philip Ivers poked wide from eight yards. Gleneely increased their lead on 46minutes after a John Doherty free was poked home by McDermott from close range. Clonmany replied with Devlin seeing his effort again saved by Duffy. The home side broke and when McLaughlin pulled the ball back Kieran White was on hand to drill home to  make it three nil. Another McLaughlin run and cross found Joe McLaughlin but his effort crashed off the bar before O Brien made ground on the left and released McCann to fire high to the net from fifteen yards. It soon became six nil when O Brien collected a Kevin Doherty throw in and hooked the ball home to the roof of the net. Clonmany were then awarded a penalty and Michael Devlin blasted straight down the middle after he had been upended. Gleneely remained on top but spurned a number of late chances.

Inishowen Engineering Division Two   11am

Illies Res              1

Glengad Res       4

In blustery conditions across the pitch Glengad started the better with both Gary Kelly and PJ McDaid  firing over the bar when well placed. Just before the break Liam O Connor for the home side  had a goo effort turned round the post by Ronan Lafferty as the half ended scoreless. Glengad broke the deadlock in the first minute of the second half when a ball over the top from Cathal Doherty released PJ Mc Daid who superbly fired low past Graham Doherty. They went close again minutes later after a Christy McLaughlin free kick was tipped over by Doherty.  Illies then equalised on the hour mark when Shane Devlin fired a superb thirty yards effort to the bottom corner. But Glengad regained the lead on 66 minutes when Doherty  collected a back pass but was dispossessed by Kelly who drilled home. Glengad then made it three one when he played a one two with Cathal Doherty before slipping the ball past Doherty. In the final minute McDaid was upended in the area and Christy McLaughlin sent Doherty the wrong way from the spot.

Dunree Res                  7

Moville Res                  5

In a high scoring opening half  Colin Doherty fired the visitors in front on 2 minutes when he slotted low past Roger McGilloway from six yards. But Dunree equalised within five minutes after Eamon Fullerton despatched a superb low strike to the bottom corner from twenty yards. Moville then regained the lead midway through the half when Pearse Doherty broke clear and slotted low to the corner from twelve yards. But again on the half hour the home side levelled when Fullerton dispossessed a defender to advance and slot home. On 41minutes Moville took the lead for the third time after Conor Lafferty punished slack defending to drill home from twelve yards. However on the stroke of half time Dunree levelled matters again when William Doherty collected a throw in and fired a wind assisted effort to the roof of the net. Moville regained the lead after Pease Doherty side footed home a Lafferty cross from eight yards and then sent five three when Lafferty despatched a low effort from fifteen yards past McGilloway. Dunree rallied and when a corner broke to Jason Spence he fired low to the corner from twenty yards. Dunree then got back on terms  on 80 minutes when Eamon Fullerton completed his hat trick when he beat a defender and slotted low to the net past  Eoin Gillen. But Moville rallied and on the stroke of full time Lafferty fired a stunning free kick to the top corner from twenty five yards. The visitors made sure on the break when Lafferty broke clear and rounded McGilloway to slot home.

Carn Res                       7

Carrowmena Res         0

Carn took the lead on 13 minutes after a Cade Cooke pass found Michael McDermott who fired  low to the corner past Michael Noone from twenty five yards.  Carromwnea had a good chance when Gerard Gill found Ryan McDermott but his effort was well saved by Dean Mason.The home side  increased their lead after a Kevin McLaughlin corner deflected off a defender and into his own net. On 29 minutes Tiernan Coyne was upended and Cooke converted low to the right to make it three nil.  Cooke then crossed from the left for McDermott whose effort deflected off a defender on 51minutes. Conor O Donnell then advanced past two defenders and rounded the advancing Noone to drill home from a tight angle before a Dayton Cooke corner found O Donnell  who fired powerfully home from the edge of the area. They completed the scoring when Conor Doherty released Cade Cooke and his cross was converted by  substitute Christopher McDaid.

Aileach Youth     3

Culdaff  Res        0

Aileach Youths recorded a deserved victory over Culdaff on Friday night in good conditions at Lakeside.  Culdaff started the brighter with Jack O’Brien sharp in attack but the experienced duo of John Canning and Declan O’Donnell restricted his good work to a distance from the Aileach goal. Aileach started to control the centre midfield area with Daibidh Grant pulling the strings, on the half hour Grant released Patrick Curran who  shot over when well placed.  Curran gave Aileach a deserved lead ten minutes before the break when he cut inside from the left and fired into the roof of the net past Darragh McLaughlin in the Culdaff goal. The second half followed the same pattern as the first with Aileach on top and only sporadic attacks from Culdaff featuring Niall McLaughlin and O’Brien.  Aileach doubled their lead when Grant broke from the middle of the field and released Curran on the edge of the box where he steadied

himself before sliding the ball into the bottom corner. Aileach wrapped the game up on the hour when Keith McColgan broke into the Culdaff box and fired a shot that McLaughlin could only parry into the path of Joe Johnston who tapped home from five yards.  The game became very scrappy from then on with a number of substitutes introduced, one of whom Aaron Doherty of Aileach went on a terrific run before sliding in Curran but McLaughlin made a great save to deny him his hat-trick.

Donegal Signs Division Two Knockout  Quarter Final 

Cockhill Res                  5

Rasheney Res.              1

The opening exchanges of this match were very scrappy due to the strong windy conditions affecting both teams early doors. However it was Cockhill who took an early lead after 5 minutes with good

play down the left between Mark Gillespie and Tristan Donaghy who

fired in a good deep cross in to the danger area which eluded everyone and  found its way in to the Rasheeny net at the back post.

Rasheeny responded well and Alan Doherty forced a good save from Gary Robinson in the Cockhill net with a good strike from just outside the box. Rasheeny didn’t have to wait too long to get back on level terms as on 10 minutes Nathan McConologue beat the offside trap to round Gary Robinson and even things up with a calm finish. With the strong wind continuing to make things difficult for both sides it

was Cockhilll who worked the next opening and almost took the lead again when Andy McElhinney shot wide from five yards when well placed after Gary Breslin knocked the ball down in to his path from a good cross by Cian Downey. Cockhill were starting to find their feet and continued pressure almost got them ahead but Adam McLaughlin’s twenty yard effort was deflected over on 25

minutes.  From the resulting corner Martin Donaghy saw his header well saved. Cockhill’s pressure eventually paid off on the half hour mark as they worked the ball well down the left again to find Tristan Donaghy, his effort was on target and took a slight deflection off Rasheney’s Kevin  Noone as it found its way in to the Rasheney net for his second goal of thegame to give Cockhill a two one lead just before half time. Andy McElhinney almost made it three just before half time when he headed  over an Adam McLaughlin free kick from five yards.Thankfully the wind eased as the second half started allowing for a more free flowing match in the second half. Cockhill were first to threaten in the second half when Lee Carey forced a

good save from Johnny Toland with a  strike from just inside the edge

of the box. As the wind picked up again, Cockhill’s Declan Kearney tried his luck from forty yards with the wind behind him but his effort never troubled the Rasheeny keeper. Cockhill soaked up some pressure from Rasheeny but held firm with Shaun McDaid making some good challenges to halt the Rasheeny attacks and Martin

Donaghy keeping the Cockhill back line well organised holding off Rasheeny as the pushed for an equaliser. On 70 minutes Cockhill edged further ahead when good pressure from Gary Breslin from the front forced allowed Tristan Donaghy to steal the ball ahead of Paul McConnelogue and was able to run through on goal and showed

good composure to calmly slot the ball past Johnny Toland for his hat-trick to make it three one to Cockhill. Rasheeny almost pulled one back when they broke at pace on the counter from a Cockhill corner as Jack McLaughlin beat two men and was just about to shoot

from outside the six yard box but a great tackle by Tristan Donaghy who had ran the length of the pitch to make the goal saving challenge. Cockhill all but finished the game off on 80 minutes when good work down the right between Cian Downey and Lee Carey opened up the Rasheeny defence and a good early ball in by Lee Carey found its way to Adam McLaughlin who slotted home to make it four one . On 83 minutes Cockhill made it five when Ryan Duffy found space down the left when played in by Gary Breslin and  lobbed Johnny Toland from outside the left edge of the box with a speculative effort going in off the back post.