Match Reports Sunday 15th October

Inishowen Football League Reports  15th  October 

FAI Junior Cup 

Buncrana Hearts 1

Illies Celtic 0

Following their meeting in the league last weekend these local rivals clashed again in the cup  and the home side dominated the opening half.

EoinMurohy fired over the bar from twenty yards in the 16th minute . Midway through the half the same player met an Aaron McEneff corner with a powerful header which was cleared off the line and he fired the rebound over from  five yards.  Kieran McDaid then headed wide when well placed before crossing to Kevin O Loughlin whose efffort crashed off the post. The best chance of the half fell to the visitors in the 39thminute when Sean McCallion broke clear of the home defence but saw his effort superbly saved by the legs of Taylor Clarke in the home goal. The home side continued in the same vein on the restart with Aaron McDaid heading over before Adam Curran cut inside but dragged his effort wide. The break through came in the 66th minute after substitute Sean Mullan held the ball up before finding Curran whose first time cross was met by a glancing Matthew Brown header to the bottom corner. Another substitute Christy McKinley had two late chances the first saved by Michael Owen Doherty before the second drifted wide.

Buncrana Hearts

Illies Celtic


Greencastle FC 4

Castlefin Celtic 2

Greencastle had the first opportunity after James Henry evaded a couple of challenges and found Conor Gillen whose attempted chip produced a finger tip save from Tiernan Gallagher. Castlefin then took the lead on 11 minutes after Mark Lafferty shrugged off a challenge before unleashing a superb twenty five yards effort to the top corner. They doubled their lead eight minutes later after Jason McCallion parried a Dean Kelly effort and Dylan McNamee reacted first to force the loose ball home. Greencastle got well on top after this and Nigel McMonagle saw  shot saved before Gavin Harkin fired wide from a good position.Before the break Nathan Harkin raced clear but again Gallagher denied him. The home side upped the tempo on the restart and turned this game around in  spectacular fashion. Shaun Doherty floated a ball over the Castlefin defence for Moore who fired a superb half volley to the top corner minutes after the restart. They were level then within another minute after Nathan Harkin got on the end of McMonagle s cross to drill low to the corner. Harkin the fired over the bar before  James Henry had one effort just wide and another sail over the bar. In a rare foray forward  Lafferty unleashed a twenty yards shot which was narrowly wide. Castlefin keeper Gallagher then kept his side in it with two superb saves from Gillen and McMonagle in quick succession.But he was powerless in the 78th minute when after a brilliant team play Harkin back heeled the ball into the path of McMonagle who fired into the top corner. They completed the scoring and passage into the next round in injury time when McMonagles low cross broke kindly for Harkin on the edge of the area and he smashed the ball into the bottom corner.


Donegal Town 1

Aileach FC 3

The home side got off to the perfect start in the 5th minute when Ben Sweeney advanced from midfield  to unleash a superb effort to the roof of the net past Dylan Porter. Aileach came well into the game after this and Gavin Doherty headed just wide from a corner before Reece McGilloway cut inside from the left and his effort was well smothered by Charlton in the home goal. Sweeney responded for the home team with another effort which Porter tipped round the post. On the stroke of half tem Aileach went close again with McGilloway overlapping on the left and crossing to Aaron Nash whose shot deflected wide off a defender.

Aileach came storming back at the home side in the second half and when Thomas McMonagle released Michael McElroy on the left his low cross was parried for Dermot Doherty to equalise.  Aaron Nash poked just wide then before a gavin Doherty cross was intercepted by a defender with Jack McClean ready to pounce. On 75 minutes Sweeney had a good chance for the home side but his tame effort was gathered by Porter. Aileach made them pay within minutes after a Dermot Doherty cross was dummied by Nash for Gavin Doherty to fire high past Charlton from twenty yards. They went three one up shortly afterwards when McGilloways cross was flicked goal wards by Gavin Doherty and when it came off the post Conor Barrow was on hand to tap in. Darren Bradley then had another chance but failed to hit the target when well placed. The final chance fell to the home side after Glen Herron pounced on a defensive error but when his effort was pushed onto the bar by Porter the clearance was completed by McMonagle.


Bonagee United 0

Cockhill Celtic 4

Cockhill dominated this game from the outset and got off to a dream start when a Luke Rudden cross from the left was met by a stunning diving header from Jay Bradley to the roof of the net. They doubled their lead in the 13th minute after a corner was recycled at the back post by Peter Doherty for Garbhan Friel to stab the ball home from close range. It was three nil before the break with James  Bradley winning possession in midfield and advancing before finding Friel who laid the ball back for Jay Bradley to shoot to the top corner from the edge of the area. The home side defended deep in the second half and seemed content to keep the visitors at bay. But Cockhill added their fourth and final goal midway through the half when Rudden pounced on a back pass to round the keeper and slot home.


Jackie Crossan Premier Division

Moville Celtic 0

Carn FC 3

Played in perfect conditions at Glencrow  Carn had a chance in the opening minute after Cade Cooke capitalised on an error to unleash an effort which crashed off the post to Gert Dzerins whose follow up was well saved by Ryan Coyle. Cookethen had a free kick saved again before at the other end Deaglan Lynch advanced from midfield but shot over the bar.  Another fee from Cooke caused mayhem in the home defence and both Calvin Mclaughlin and Dzerins had efforts cleared off the line by Andrew McCarron. The visitors broke the deadlock on 40minutes when Kyran Cantwell raced onto a ball over the top and slotted low past Coyle from inside the area. Within a minute they doubled their lead when Cooke was afforded too much time and space to unleash a twenty five yards effort to the bottom corner.  In the second half Carn s Dzerins was denied by a superb last ditch Rowan Doherty tackle while  Cooke blasted on shot over before seeing another well saved by Coyle. At the other end Luke Mcfaddens s cross was met by the head of Norbert Indyka but Daniel McDaid was equal to it while McDaid also saved a Ryan McColgan free kick. A poor clearance in the final minute allowed Conor Mclaughlin to head past Coyle and make the final score three nil.

Moville Celtic


Glengad United 0

Clonmany Shamrocks 6

A depleted home side were no match for the visitors at the Crua in beautiful conditions on Sunday. Clonmany opened the scoring on 20 minutes when after Jamie Coyle saw his effort saved by Michael Mclaughlin the loose ball was drilled home by Jason Devlin. Devlin added his second of the game on the half hour when he got on the end of an Aaron Porter cross to fire to the roof of the net. A mix up in the home defence on the stroke of half time allowed Coyle to fire home the third goal. Clonmany continued on top after the restart and Oisin Hession was denied by the legs of Mclaughlin. Midway through the half they added their fourth from a Matthew Brennan corner which found Devlin to complete his hat trick. Alex McFadden added the fifth goal before Hession converted Devlins cross late in the game to seal a six nil win. Jason Devlin with a hat trick for Clonmany today


Strand Hotel First Division


Greencastle Youths 2

QPS got back to winning ways after a couple of draws to maintain their title challenge. The visitors however had an early chance when Evan Davenport crossed from the left just eluded an inrushing teammate.The home side responded and opened the scoring when Oisin Hillen converted a Mark Murray cross from ten yards.  Daniel McMenamin added number two then firing home after his initial effort had come back off the post just before the break. The home side were rampant at this stage and added a third  after half time when after a good run and cross from Aaron Scott the ball fell to Hillen to slot home. They made it four nil on 59 minutes after the visitors defence failed to clear allowing Josh McLaughlin to slot home. Greencastle rallied and reduced the deficit when Paul Brennan scored with a neat finish from ten yards. But they were dealt a blow then when Ben Doherty received a red card for retailiation. When McMenamins header came back off the bar Murray  was on hand to slot the loose ball home. Greencastle again got a goal back when Cian Sharkey despatched a superb twenty five yards strike to the top corner past Conor O Neill.  But Murray completed the  scoring  when he raced onto O Neills long clearance to slot low to the corner.


Culdaff FC 5

Rashenny FC 2

An understrength  home side started this game well and took the lead on 12 minutes after good work by Jack O Brien whose cross was knocked back to the edge of the area by Matthew McGoldrick where Euan McFeely collected and fired low to the  bottom corner past Gavin Mclaughlin. O’ Brien should have doubled their lead when he was denied from point blank range by a brilliant save from McLaughlin.  The visitors got back on terms on 33 minutes when Gareth McKeever outmuscled the home defence and lifted the ball over the advancing Patrick McLaughlin. But  Culdaff regained the lead then in the 40th minute when O’Briens free kick found Darragh McCormick in the area and he composed himself to finish left footed to the bottom corner.  It got better for the home side a minute later when McFeely s cross field pass found  McGoldrick  who fed O’Brien and he  brilliantly evaded three defenders before finishing superbly. On the stroke of half time Rashenny made it three two when Declan Mclaughlin released McKeever and he finished superbly with his left foot from twelve yards .  Culdaff regained their two goal advantage in the 50th minute after O’Brien capitalised on indecisiveness in the Rashenny rearguard to rifle the ball past McLaughlin. They went close again minutes later with a Ben Curley  shot that flew past the post with McLaughlin stranded. Rashenny rallied and a Ryan Doherty corner was brilliantly headed off the line by Ryan Greene before a David Mclaughlin shot went narrowly wide. Culdaff lifted the pressure and made it five two when O’Brien lifted a ball over the top of the visitors defence for substitute Bryan McCandless who controlled , swivelled and finished smartly from six yards.

Culdaff F.C

Rashenney F.C.


Aileach Res 0

Dunree United 1

The  visitors recorded their first league points of the season with this narrow victory in Lakeside. They got a dream start when they scored after two minutes.Bernie Doherty collected possession and fired a superb effort to the roof of the net from twenty five yards past Dylan Clarke. On 20 minutes Cian Moran  broke into the home area but a superb last ditch Ryan Long tackle saved the day for Aileach.  Aileach came more into the game then and Kevin Boyle was denied by a superb one handed save by Adam Harrigan before the break. Aileach came more into the game after the break with a Stephen Doherty effort turned round the post by Harrigan who also gathered an attempted chip from Boyle.  Doherty then saw another effort again tipped over before blazing over the bar when well placed. Dunree s sole response in the second half came on 85 minute when Bernie Dohertys effort was tipped around the post by Clarke. In the home sides final chance Boyle s cross found Adam Boyle whose header was  scrambled clear by the Dunree defence.

Clonmany Res 1

Redcastle United 10

League leaders  Redcastle  hit the ground running and opened the scoring in the opening minute after Alan Clarke headed home a Marc Bell cross. Clarke added a second on 7 minutes poking home from close range after the home defence failed to clear a corner.  In the 12th minute it was three nil with a Shaun Curran cross  bundled home by Josh McConalogue. Redcastle had to wait until the 37th minute to add to their advantage when a McConalogue effort from distance deceiving Conor McGonigle in the home goal .The second half started the same as the first with Redcastle substitute Mark Farren racing onto a long ball and slotting  home before Clarke completed his hat trick in the 49th minute converting a Stephen Grant cross. Both Aiden Cunningham and Gavin Grant added further goals before the home side got a consolation from the penalty spot with Tiernan McDonald converting. Thomas Comiskey then collected an Ethan Devlin cross and unleashed an effort but Michael McCole in the Redcastle goal saved well. The visitors added late goals from Jack McConalogue and Cunningham to complete the scoring.

Alan Clarke with a hat trick for Redcastle today

Carn Res 2

Buncrana Res 1

In great conditions in St Patrick’s Park there was very little to separate both sides. Buncrana had the first half chance when Bart Wesolowski fired over from twenty  yards. After 20 minutes Carn created a real chance to take the lead. A good ball from Dylan Cooke found the feet of Mark Scott but his chipped effort went just wide of the post. Scott then came close again, this time a free kick from twenty yards flew past the keepers post. On the stroke of half time Buncrana took the lead. Micheal McLaughlins through ball found Wesolowski who rounded the keeper and bundled the ball into the net while under pressure from Carn defender Matthew Smith. The second half started with Carn looking to get back into the game straight away. Tiernan Doherty’s initial shot was cleared off the line but it fell to the feet of Carn striker Dayton Cooke who fired the ball into the roof of the net from six yards. Buncrana pushed to get back in the game but in truth both defences cancelled out their opposing attackers. That was until the 71st minute. An inch perfect through ball from Dylan Cooke was met by Shay Fallon who finished calmly from twelve yards to give Carn the lead. Buncrana responded well and threw everything at Carn. Gerry Gill who was impressive all game for Buncrana, caused Carn problems down the left. A late cross from him was acrobatically cleared by Ben McDaid in the Carn defence to ensure Carn would take all three points.


Inishowen Engineering Division Two 

QPS Youth 2

Cockhill Res 6

This top of the table clash saw the home side take an early lead after a Dean Hegarty free was  slotted home at the back post by Simon Wallace. But the visitors got back on terms when a James Porter effort deceived home keeper Jamie McColgan. Porter then beat the offside trap to race clear and slot low to the corner. On 22 minutes it was three one after Niall Breslin unleashed a powerful effort to the bottom right hand corner from the edge of the area. Cockhill were rampant at this stage and made it four one when Cahir McDaid converted at the back post before Breslin added a second goal rounding the keeper before the break. QPS started the second half well and got a goal back with a thunderous thirty five effort from Dean Hegarty dipping over Lee McColgan. But Cockhill seled the game late on when Joe Lavery stole in at the back post to slot home.

Dunree Res 0

Sea Rovers 3

Rovers  had the first chance on 11minutes with a Conor McCloskey effort well saved by Philip Doherty. On the half hour the visitors opened the scoring when McCloskey beat the offside trap and raced clear to slot home. Rovers extended their lead four minutes later when Aidan Doherty converted at the back post after keeper Doherty had saved well from McCloskey. Dunree came more into the game then with both Lorcan Doherty and Paul Jackson having efforts saved by the rovers custodian. The second half was a dour affair with a lot of the play in midfield and defences on top. Rovers did add a third goal on 78 minutes when Andrew Gallagher converted a penalty.

Rashenny RES 2

Culdaff Res 3

The visitors took  an early lead after Sonny Bonner rose unchallenged to head a corner past Fergal Diver. They added a second goal in the 10th minute when Oisin McLaughlin ran through the home defence before slotting low to the corner.  The home side responded and reduced the defict when Aiden Hirrell found Caylum Long and he shot low past Odhran Douglas. They had a gilt edged opportunity to level the game  after a penalty was awarded for handball but Longs effort was superbly saved by Douglas. Culdaff ended the half strongly with Noel Mclaughlin  denied by Diver  before the  same player saw an effort clip the crossbar on the way over. On the stroke of half time Dermot Diver found Bonner but he failed to hit the target when well placed. Rashenny had the  first opportunity of the second half when Hirrells effort was well saved by Douglas. The visitors hit back and after good work by Billy Hume on the left his effort was well gathered by Diver. The visitors made it three one then midway through the half after a good run and cross from Noel McLaughlin was slotted home by Bonner from ten yards. The home side finished the game strongly with Diarmait Keoght firing wide before they reduced the deficit to the minimum on 85 minutes when Longs cross was converted by Hirell. They almost snatched a point late on but a Callum Crumlish effort was well saved by Douglas.

Rashenny ROVERS 1

Redcastle Res 6

The visitors hit the home side with a double blast in the opening eight minutes. Firstly a Shay Sweeney free was glanced home by Conor McCallion. Then Sweeney threaded a ball through for Gary Kelly to poke the ball past the advancing Roger McGilloway and double their lead. Rovers replied with a Niall Devlin effort well saved by Oisin Quigley. They reduced the deficit on 22 minutes after a Leonardo McGlinchey cross cum shot deceived everyone and landed in the net. Redcastle ended the half on top with Darren Harkin denied by McGilloway and a long range Lennon McLaughlin effort going just over. Redcastle upped the tempo after the break and Kelly increased their lead with a glancing header from Sweeneys cross. Lennon McLaughlin was then off target when well placed before McCallion was denied by a superb save from Mc Gilloway. At the other end TylerMcEleney weaved his way past a few defenders but saw his dangerous cross cleared away. Redcastle made it four one with an effort from twenty five yards  from Sweeney to the roof  of the net. Minutes later after a corner was not cleared by the home side Darren Harkin pounced to fire home from fourteen yards. Harkin completed the scoring then when he headed home from six yards following a corner. In the final action of the game Sweeney was denied by a superb save and his follow up was cleared off the line by a defender.

Moville Res 4

Glengad Res 0

Moville  began well with both Mateus Indyka and Luke McFadden seeing shots saved by Oran Raymond in the Glengad goal. They took the lead in the 12th minute after McFaddens cross found Marcus Rule who headed home at the back post. There was little action then until before the break when the home side added a second goal. Evan Hudner converted a penalty awarded after Rule had been upended. Five minutes after the break Moville added a third when Colin Dohery pounced on a loose ball to round the keeper and slot home. Glengad rallied and Patrick Mclaughlin saw an effort saved by Vernon Kelly before Liam Nelson also had a shot well saved at the near post. Moville ended the game on top and both McFadden and Indyka saw shots saved by Raymond. Moville completed the scoring then  late on with Igor Hereslov firing home from close range at the second attempt.

Cockhill Colts 1

Gleneely Colts 2

This top of the table clash  saw  the visitors take the lead on 15minutes when Tristan McColgan fired a left foot finish to the net from a Shane Diver cross.The home side rallied and got back on terms before the interval when Joe Dohertys cross found Michael O Connor to head past Jordan McLaughlin from six yards. Cockhill got on top in the second half and Mark Gillespie saw one effort saved by McLaughlin before Darragh Lyons fired wide from a good position.  Gavin Doherty then released Joe Doherty and after McLaughlin parried his effort Shane Meehan fired the loose ball over the bar. Against the run of play the visitors struck for the winner when a Shay Harkin effort took a deflection on its way past Graham Doherty in the home goal

Shay Harkin and Tristan Mc Colgan with Gleneely’s goals today

Aileach Youths 2

Illies Res 4

IN an entertaining game the home side  got off to a dream start in the opening minute after a Ciaran Bradley cross found Cormac McIntyre who turned and  shot low past Conor Doherty. Illies came more into the game and levelled midway through the half  when Shane Devlin fired home from the penalty spot past Shay Bowen. The visitors then took the lad just before half time with Rory Greene heading home a pinpoint left wing cross from Conor Doherty. But the home side rallied and equalised on the hour mark when Bradley evaded two defenders inside the area and slotted low to the corner from twelve yards. With the game in the balance the visitors struck twice late on to seal the points. Devlin restored  their lead from close range after good work by Joe McLaughlin. Mclaughlin then added the fourth capitalising on a defensive mix up to shoot home.