Match reports Sunday 15th April

Wednesday 11th April

Charlie O Donnell Cup Semi Finals 

Culdaff FC                1

Glengad United     2

Glengad had it much tighter than expected against a very understrength home side in good conditions before a big crowd on Wednesday night.

In the early exchanges Matthew Byrne headed over from a corner before Stephen Mclaughlin fired a snapshot just wide from the edge of the area. Culdaff replied with two efforts from Brendan McLaughlin failing to trouble Kevin McLaughlin in the visitors goal. The first real chance of the game fell to Glengad after patient build up on 21 minutes ended with Terence Doherty chipping to the back post for Christopher McLaughlin to control and volley but Darragh McLaughlin made  a superb tip over save. Minutes later John G McLaughlin also headed over after a corner. Culdaff then created a gilt edged chance when Jack O Brien intercepted a defensive pass and fed Cathal McGrenaghan who burst into the area and laid the ball across to Brian McCandless whose goalbound effort hit a defender and broke to Brendan McLaughlin but his follow up was brilliantly blocked again. Glengad broke the deadlock with  a stunningly simple goal after Stephen McLaughlin lifted the ball over the home defence for Seamus Doherty to lob the ball over keeper Mclaughlin from fourteen yards. Five minutes  later the same player increased the lead when he reacted well after his initial effort was blocked to volley to the unguarded net but the home defence should have done better. Glengad were rampant at this stage and a powerful Stephen McLaughlin drive from the edge of the area was superbly tipped onto the bar by McLaughlin in the home goals. Culdaff had the last chance of the half when Brendan McLaughlin broke on the right and his driven cross deflected off a defender into the arms of Glengad keeper Mclaughlin with McCandless lurking. There were far fewer chances in the second period with Glengad having the first effort on 52 minutes when Doherty’s driven effort was well saved by the legs of McLaughlin.  Culdaff spurned a gilt edged chance on 66 minutes after Dermot Diver flicked on a cross to send Brendan McLaughlin into the area but his low effort was blocked by the legs of Kevin McLaughlin. Glengad were dealt a blow on 77 minutes when Christopher McLaughlin was given a second yellow card for kicking the ball away and the home side set up a grandstand finish on 84 minutes when they got a goal back. Brendan McGrenaghan broke from defence and spread the ball wide to substitute Aiden Cunningham and his  sublime cross was steered home by Brendan McLaughlin from six yards. Culdaff continued to press and on 89 minutes Brendan McLaughlin’s inswinging cross from the right found Michael Coyle and from an acute angle his goal bound header was superbly beaten away by Kevin McLaughlin.

Culdaff continued to press but the visitors defence stood firm and advance to yet another final.

Aileach FC                4

Redcastle United  1

This game began with Aileach having the lion’s share of possession but unable to put a dent in a well organised Redcastle defence. All that possession counted for little as on 32 minutes Redcastle broke down the right through Aaron Nash and his early cross found it’s way to Odhran McColgan who finished low under David McGeady from six yards. Within 5 minutes Aileach were level after  Dermot Doherty exploited space down the left and his driven cross was turned home by Thomas McMonagle from close range. The second half opened with Redcastle getting more of a foothold in the game and were always dangerous in the final third, keeping the Aileach defence on their toes. On 55 minutes  Dermot Doherty got behind the Redcastle defence but McCole advanced to block the wing backs effort. Just before the hour Aileach took the lead when Gareth McGlynn popped up wide on the left and his low ball across the six yard area was driven home at the back post by Darren McMonagle giving Mickey McCole no chance. Then on 70 minutes  Aileach extended their advantage over a visibly tiring Redcastle when Dermot Doherty produced a pinpoint cross for Darren McMonagle to head past McCole from close range  low to the  keepers right. With 5 minutes left Aileach completed the scoring when a one two between McGlynn and Thomas McMacken released the latter to slide the ball under McCole from ten yards.



Jackie Crossan Premier Division    

Illies Celtic              1

Greencastle FC      4

Greencastle started this game well and in the opening quarter really should have been ahead after both Nigel McMonagle and Matthew  Henry broke through the home defence but Johnathan Noone saved superbly on both occasions. Then somewhat against the run of play Illies broke the deadlock on 22 minutes after Liam Grant fed Adrian Donaghey Doherty who squared for Paddy Doherty to slot past Dylan Doherty from ten yards. But on the half hour the visitors equalised when James Henry played a neat one two with Matthew Henry before neatly finishing low to the corner from twelve yards. Greencastle started the second period well and took the lead on 53 minutes when a Matthew Henry corner was superbly headed to the top corner by Conor Gillen giving Noone no chance. Ten minutes later they made it three one after McMonagle knocked the ball down for Gillen to this time shoot superbly to the top corner from the edge of the area. Illies almost got back into the game on 77 minutes when Grant robbed a defender but saw his effort produce a superb one handed save from Doherty. The visitors sealed the win on 81 minutes after James Henry released McMonagle who rounded a defender and fired high past Noone.

 Saturday 14th April

Donegal Signs Reserve League Shield

Glengad Reserves 3-0 Carrowmena

Glengad Reserves created their own little bit of history on Saturday evening when they lifted the Reserve Shield for the first time after suffering two previous defeats in the final. The foundation was laid in a very dominant opening half which saw them lead by three goals to nil. And although Carrowmena pushed hard in the second period the Crua men’s defence stood firm. Glengad had all the early pressure with Mark Smith seeing a driven free kick gathered at the second attempt by Michael  Noone before Gary Kelly  was off  target with two efforts from the edge of the area. Carrowmena replied on 22 minutes when Darragh Kelly broke on the right and advanced into the area but his cross was deflected behind. Three minutes later Glengad took the lead when Paul McGonigle fired a thunderous twenty two yards free kick to the top right hand corner giving Noone no chance. Carrowmena replied and Kelly’s dangerous cross was kicked clear by keeper Michael McLaughlin. On 31 minutes Glengad added a second goal after full back Mark McKinney advanced and poked the ball through to Gary Kelly and the big striker slid the ball low under the advancing Noone from fourteen yards. Carrowmena almost replied instantly after a free kick broke to Samuel Bredin but his effort was blocked by McKinney and the danger cleared. On the stroke of half time Glengad virtually sealed  the win after McGonigle fed Gary Kelly who controlled and fired to the roof of the net from twenty yards for an excellent finish. The same player had the first chance of the second half after McKinney had played a ball over the top but he blasted wide of the near post. Carrowmena pushed hard and on the hour mark a deep corner caused havoc in the Glengad defence with John Lynch , Killian Dougal and  Kelly all seeing point blank range efforts blocked before Glengad cleared. Minutes later Darragh Kelly broke into the area on the right and  his low effort was superbly tipped away by McLaughlin. Glengad spurned the best chance of the second half when McKinney played a fine ball over the top to send Kelly racing into the area and while he managed to lift the ball over the advancing Noone it drifted just past the far post. Carrowmena had most of the attacking play in the last twenty minutes with Kelly blazing over from the  edge of the area before Andrew Mclaughlin had a shot deflected behind.Killian Dougal then volleyed their best chance over the bar after a corner was punched out to him before in the final action Dougal fired a free kick inches over the bar.

Man of the Match

As usual there were plenty of contenders with Darragh Kelly and Michael Noone performing well for Carrowmena and Mark McKinney, Joe Doherty and  Paul McGonigle prominent for Glengad. But goals win games and the award goes to Gary Kelly who scored two excellent goals and was a constant threat to the Carrowmena defence all through.


Glengad reserves who won the Donegal Signs Reserve League Shield

Carrowmena F. C. beaten Finalists in the Reserve League Shield

Peter Mc laughlin of Donegal Signs presents the Reserve League Shield to Glengad captain P.J. Mc Daid also in photo is Carrowmena captain Andrew Mc Laughlin,Simon Mc laughlin and match officals Stephen Deeney, Liam Porter and Jason Porter


Knockalla Cup Semi Finals  

Glengad United                 0         

Letterkenny Rovers         0          (letterkenny win 7.6 sudden death penos)

The visitors started the better and had the first chance on 15 minutes after Chris Flanagan’s cross found  Luke Nelis on the edge of the area but his effort shaved the post. They went close again after a Chris Conaghan cross found Darren McElwaine whose effort was well saved by Kevin McLaughlin. Glengad grew into the game with Seamus Doherty sending Stephen McLaughlin clear of the visitors defence but he took a heavy touch and the chance was lost. They spurned a great chance on 38 minutes when John G McLaughlin’s long ball found Terence Doherty whose first time effort was brillinalty saved by Rory Kelly. Letterkenny then missed a great  chance on 55 minutes when a Ben Sharkey cross picked out Steve Okapembi but he fired over from six yards. Rovers were reduced to ten men on 61 minutes after Conor Tourish was dismissed for two yellow cards. Glengad replied and on 73 minutes Jason Doherty fed Cathal McDaid whose cross was volleyed over from six yards by Adam Byrne. In the first period of extra time. Glengad pressed on in extra time and a Stephen McLaughlin cross found Adam Byrne who somehow fired wide from six yards. Then they were awarded a penalty after substitute John G McDermott was upended  but Michael Byrne ‘s effort was saved to his left by Kelly. Glengad continued to dominate but chances were few and far between with Terence Doherty firing straight at Kelly late in the game. In the shootout it was Letterkenny who advance by virtue of a seven six win in sudden death.

Greencastle FC                  1

Cockhill Celtic                    3

Cockhill started well with Peter Doherty having an early header easily saved by Dylan Doherty. On 10 minutes Malachy McDermott headed on for Ronan Doherty whose flick with the outside of his boot was well saved by Doherty. Greencastle replied and when Nigel McMonagle flicked on to Christy Hegarty whose first time effort was well saved by Lee McCarron. At the other end Mark Moran but in but again Doherty was equal to his effort. Midway through the half a Matthew Henry free was well gathered by McCarron while at the other end Laurence Toland had an effort saved by Doherty. Greencastle ‘s best chance came when Sean McKinney broke forward and fed McMonagle who drove into the area but fired narrowly wide. On the stroke of half time Cockhills Gerry Gill curled a free kick over the wall but Doherty saved easily.

Cockhill took the lead on 51 minutes when Gerry Gill played a one two with Mark Moran before shooting low inside the post from the edge of the area. On 59 minutes  a cross cum shot from McMonagle evaded all and drifted harmlessly wide. Cockhill increased their lead when after a quick break Laurence Toland scored with a superb chip from twenty two yards out. On 72 minutes Ronan  Doherty squared the ball across for Moran to slot home from six yards. Greencastle replied with substitute Jamie McCormick firing just wide before McMonagle shot wide. McCormick then crossed from the right but Michael Barr headed just wide. They got a consolation on 86 minutes when McMonagle picked up a long clearance before drilling low past McCarron from the edge of the  area. Shaun Doherty’s free was then tipped onto the post by McCarron before another Doherty free was turned round the post by the keeper.

Jackie Crossan Premier Division    

Buncrana Hearts               4

Clonmany Shamrocks      0

Buncrana dominated the opening half and got a dream start after ninety second when Kieran McDaid  got on the end of a Michael Coyle cross to slot home from close range. McDaid then had two efforts well saved by Patrick Harkin after some majestic footwork created the opening. They increased their lead on 28 minutes after another mazy run by McDaid saw him cross for Coyle to slot home. On the stroke of half time Coyle turned well on the edge of the area but fired just over. Buncrana got an equally good start to the second period when they made it three nil after Shane Dillon headed home a Stephen McHugh corner. Clonmany responded and went close after a Mark Mclaughlin effort was well saved by Eoghan O Doherty in the home goal. But the home side resumed in the ascendancy and substitute Gerard Boyle had a header well saved before the same player made it four nil when Coye threaded a pass into his path and he calmly slotted home from twelve yards.

Illies Celtic              0

Aileach FC                6

There was a close hard fought opening half with few chances at either end.

Playing with the breeze  Aileach took the lead on 11 minutes when good work by Ronan Coyle on the edge of the area who

squared for Anthony Doherty (pictured Right)to slot home from twelve yards. For the remainder of the half the home side restricted thevisitors to long range efforts from Thomas McMonagle, Coyle and Doherty which all failed to trouble Johnathan Noone. Aileach dominated the second half and increased their lead on 50 minutes when Doherty broke clear and squared to Coyle to tap home. Minutes later Doherty got the third when he outpaced the home defence and fired high past Noone. Dermot Doherty then got in on the act when he broke on the left and cut in to fire high to the net. Illies replied when Liam Grant  robbed a defender but fired straight at Peter Devlin from twelve yards. Anthony Doherty completed his hat trick with a fine diving header from a Dermot Doherty cross before Coyle beat three men  saw his effort deflected off a defender past Noone to complete the scoring.

Strand Hotel First Division  

Aileach Res                         2

Moville Celtic                     5

Moville Celtic produced an excellent performance to keep their promotions hopes alive and now they must wait to see who they play in that play off.

They started well and Michael McNaught ran onto a Norbert Indyka before slotting low to the net from twelve yards. They increased their lead on 11 minutes when good work on the left by Pearse Doherty who crossed to Ryan McColgan who after a poor touch produced a superb overhead kick. McNaught made it three nil when he ran onto a Finn McLaughlin pass to round the keeper. After a scramble in the area Indyka made it four nil from close range. Aileach reduced the deficit when Ruairi Bradley crossed for Ciaran McGrory to power a header past Ryan Coyle from six yards. Aileach got another back on 70minutes after Keith McColgan advanced on the left and crossed for Ruairi Bradley fired in off the post. But Moville sealed the points after McNaught fired a free kick low into the bottom corner.

Redcastle United              4

Clonmany Res                    0

Redcastle claimed the first division title with a deserved victory over bottom of the table Clonmany.The opening half an hour was a closely contested affair with defences on top and chances at a premium.Redcastle took the lead on 40 minutes after good work by Conor McNamee on the right wing saw him cross for Aaron Nash to fire past Liam McGonigle. They increased their lead minutes before the interval after Denim McLaughlin fed Ethan Canning  to fire to the top corner from fifteen yards. Redcastle continued to press and increased their lead on the hour when Canning picked out Nash with a fine pass and the latter fired to the top corner. Brendan Murphy then got in on the act and fired low past McGonigle to make it four nil on 77 minutes.

Redcastle United Strand Hotel First Division Champions

Inishowen Engineering Division 2 A            

Cockhill Res             3

Culdaff Res              2

Cockhill started brightly with some early pressure. Good work down the right when Barney Gubbins played in Tristan Donaghy who then crossed the

ball in to the box but was narrowly missed by two Cockhill players in the box.This time down the left Mark Gillespie and Ryan Mallet linked up well for Cian Downey to cross deep in to the box, headed back by Odhran O’Brian-Daly and the ball broke to Thomas McKinney who saw his effort blocked by

Culdaff’s Michael McFadden.Another corner to Cockhill saw the deadlock broken. Culdaff cleared the first ball in but Tristan Donaghy managed to keep the ball in play and his ball in to the box was headed in at the back post by Odhran O’Brien-Daly to give Cockhill the lead with his first goal for the club.

Culdaff responsed quickly and were unlucky not to equalise when a free kick from twenty yards out looked to be heading in to the top corner but Ryan

Fitzpatrick made a great save to deny Ben Curley’s fine effort.Ryan Fitzpatrick then had to look sharp when Aiden Cunningham found some space in behind the Cockhill defence but was quickly closed down by the Cockhill keeper. Culdaff started the brighter of the two sides after the break pushing

Cockhill back. After forcing a number of corners Culdaff finally equalised after a goal mouth scramble, an attempted clearance hit the back of a Cockhill defender and found its way in to the back of the net .Shortly after equalising Culdaff’s continued pressure saw them edge in front. A quick break away saw Ben Curley find himself in space 25 yards out and his fine strike flew past Cockhill keeper Ryan Fitzpatrick in to the top corner.  Cockhill started to come back in to the game when Mark Gillespie had two good efforts at the back post blocked by some good defending from Culdaff’s Paul Mills and Cathal McGrenaghan. Ryan Mallett almost equalised for Cockhill when he ran on to a good ball over the top by Shaun Donaghy but was adjudged to have been offside when he was well placed to score.Adam McCarron stepped out from the back with the ball and made a fine forward run and was unlucky not to find himself through on goal but the return pass to him was well cut out by Matt McDaid. Cockhill made  changes to try and get something from the game and were rewarded with a penalty when substitute Paddy McLaughlin made a good

forward run in to the box and looked set to score himself but was brought

down from behind for the penalty. Mark Gillespie showed great composure then to step up and slot home the penalty past Oran Raymond in the Culdaff goal with only five minutes to go. Cockhill pushed for a winner, forcing a corner with seconds remaining. When the ball in broke in the box it was young Sean Bradley with his first goal for the club who grabbed the headlines with a fine strike from twelve yards in to the roof of the net past Oran Raymond to give Cockhill the win with almost the last kick of the ball.

Inishowen Engineering Division 2 B            

Dunree Res             1

Carn Res                   3

The home side had the first chance on 20 minutes when an Eamon Fullerton effort was saved by Paul Stevens. Five minutes later Neil Moran picked up a loose ball but fired just wide from the edge of the area. Carn replied and a Christopher Doherty effort was well saved by Roger McGilloway as the half ended scoreless. Dunree took the lead on 51 minutes when Simon Taylor beat two men and fired low past Stephens from close range. But on 55 minutes Carn levelled when Tiernan Coyne ran onto a ball over the top and lifted it over the advancing McGilloway. The took the lead on the hour when the unmarked Doherty rose high to head home. On 72 minutes Carn increased their lead when Dayton Cooke raced clear and fired low past McGilloway from a tight angle. Dunree replied and were out of luck after a Bernie Doherty free from twenty yards crashed off the bar before minutes later Jamie Brosnan also had an effort which rebounded off  the bar. In the last minute Patrick Toland somehow headed over the bar from point blank range.

Illies Res                            0

Greencastle Res                2

Greencastle clinched the division 2B league title with this hard earned win over a tough home side. Illies started well and had the first chance when Brendan Grant fired wide when well placed. The visitors broke the deadlock when player manager Shaun Cavanagh had a header well parried by Kevin Gallagher but Cavanagh reacted well to slam the ball home. John McDermott then had another chance but fired straight at Gallagher.  But they added a crucial second goal on 33 minutes when after a ball into the box broke to the edge of the area Jude Harkin  hammered the ball high past Gallagher.Illies had the first chance of the second period on 55 minutes when Liam O Connor’s effort from the edge of the area was well saved by Seamus Bovaird.On the hour Jason Campbell cut the ball back for Joe McLaughlin whose low effort was again well saved by Bovaird. Greencastle replied and a deep corner by Jude Harkin saw the unmarked Shaun Cavanagh head wide from twelve yards       . They spurned another chance after Harkin fed Ronan Doherty but he shot weakly at Gallagher.

Greencastle Reserves Division Two “B” Champions