Match Reports Sunday 14th April


Clubman Shirts League Cup Final

Carn FC                     0

Greencastle FC      3

Greencastle secured their first ever mens trophy in Inishowen Football at a bitterly cold Maginn Park on Saturday evening with a deserved three nil win over a  young Carn side who to their credit battled to the bitter end.

The winners performance was full of excellent interplay and movement and the dominated possession for most of the game but their first attempt on goal came when Shaun Doherty unleashed a twenty yards effort straight at Fergal Doherty in the Carn goal. Minutes later a flowing move saw Jamie McCormick release Nigel McMonagle in behind the Carn defence and when he pulled the ball back to Matthew Henry he fired agonisingly past the far post. But  on 21 minutes they took the lead after Matthew Henry retrieved an overhit cross on the left and laid it inside to brother James whose well hit shot took a slight deflection on its way past Doherty. Carn tried to respond and Girt Dzerins unleashed an effort from twenty five yards which failed to trouble Dylan Doherty in the Greencastle goal. On 36 minutes after another passage of good play James Henry was pulled back in the area and McCormick smashed the penalty into the bottom left hand corner to give Greencastle a comfortable two nil lead.  Within four minutes of the restart Greencastle added a superb third goal when Doherty fed Matthew Henry who released McCormick on the right and his cross was smashed to the roof of the net by James Henry for his second of the game. Carn tried hard to get back into the game and a brilliant surge forward by Ryan Kelly released cade Cooke on the left  but his deflected shot was gathered low to his right by keeper Doherty.  Greencastle then had a real purple patch in a ten minute spell with Matthew Henry firing straight at Fergal Doherty before after a quick break the same player raced into the area but blazed over. Substitute Michael Henry then played a one two with McMonagle before rifling a shot narrowly wide . Carn ept trying to get back into the game and on 72 minutes had a gilt edged opportunity when substitute Brandon Browne was upended in the area. But Cade Cooke ‘s spot kick was blocked by Doherty who recovered brilliantly to block another substitute Lorcan Bradleys follow up. They had another great chance when Browne intercepted a back pass and advanced in the area but blazed over the bar from twelve yards. Browne then released substitute Tiernan Coyne who released Christopher McDaid  who blazed over. In the last minute a flick on from Coyne found Browne but at full stretch he poked the ball wide. Greencastle saw the remaining minutes out to claim their first senior trophy in Inishowen football.

Man of the Match

For the Carn side keeper Fergal Doherty , Ryan Kelly and Will Quinn all performed admirably in what was always a difficult task. For the winners there were excellent performances all over the field but the award goes to James Henry who had a superb game and was involved in all three goals. His touch , vision and movement was a constant threat to the Carn defence and he fully deserves the award in a very good team performance.

Greencastle F.C.

Carn F.C.

SUNDAY 14th April

Jackie Crossan Premier Division 

Culdaff FC                            2

Glengad United                 3

An understrength and young Culdaff side showed great determination to push Glengad all the way in an entertaining encounter. Glengad as expected dominated possession and went close  on 12 minutes when Stephen McLaughlin’s twenty yard free kick shaved the bar. A good break then on the right by Terence Doherty saw his cross pick out Cathal McDaid but under pressure from Ben Curley he fired over the bar. Before the break Doherty broke on the right side and cut in but fired into the side netting. Glengad upped the pace on the restart and a McDaid corner came off a defender and crashed off the post. Another McDaid cross from the left found Michael Byrne through the middle but his header flew over the bar. In a rare foray at the other end Bryan McCandless pounced on a short back pass but Kevin McLaughlin was alert and well outside his area to clear.The deadlock was broken on 70 minutes by the visitors after a speculative John G McLaughlin effort from twenty five yards crept past John Collins and into the bottom corner. Seven  minutes later substitute Conor Barrow saw his cross headed home by Byrne at the back post despite the best efforts of Collins. Within minutes Culdaff got a goal back when Curley ‘s free found Dermot Diver to slot home. But Glengad restored their two goal advantage when Terence Doherty raced clear onto a ball over the top and fired home. Again three minutes later Culdaff got a goal back after an Aiden Cunningham cross from the left broke inside the area to McCandless whose effort took a deflection on its way to the net. The home side tried hard but the visitors saw the game out to claim the points.

Redcastle United              1

Aileach FC                            5

​​​​​Both teams started well with most of the football being played in the middle of the park. The first chance fell after 14 minutes to Aileach when a corner resulted in a goal-mouth scramble.  A minute later a run from Colin Doherty beat the Redcastle defence but his shot was well saved by McCole. On 22 minutes Aileach took a deserved lead when Keith McColgan intercepted a pass and beat the defence and his cross found Colin Doherty who finished well. Aileach went in search of a second and almost got it when Stevie Doherty got in but his effort was well smothered by McCole. On the stroke of half-time Colin Doherty took the ball around the keeper but his effort was well cleared off the line by Joe McCauley. Aileach got their second  on 52 minutes when Colin Doherty saw his effort saved by McCole but the rebound fell to Stevie Doherty who made no mistake. Ten minutes later Aileach almost had a third when a quick free-kick caught out the defence but McCauley again cleared off the line. On 67 minutes Aileach were awarded a penalty for a poor challenge by McCole but the keeper redeemed himself with a superb save. In the 76th minute  Dermot Doherty cut the ball back to Colin Doherty who rolled the ball into the empty net. From the kick-off Aileach won the ball back and Gareth McGlynn found the net from 20 yards with a  brilliant strike. With Minutes left Aileach had their fifth when a cross from Eamon Brown found Keith McColgan who tapped home from close range. With Redcastle’s first attack in the second half an effort from Evan Craig went in off the underside of the bar and made it 1-5.

Hannon Greene Fr O’Gara Cup    

Cockhill Youth                    2

Glengad Res                        0

Cockhill Celtic Youth progressed to the next round of the Fr. O’Gara earlier today thanks to two second half goals from Odhran O’Brien-Daly & Mark McDaid at a blustery Charlie O’Donnell Sports Grounds.

The pace of the game was frantic in the opening period with both teams not giving their opponent time or space on the ball. Cockhill, the home side, did get a foothold in the game and Mark McDaid had a little joy down the right wing. On 20 minutes a Mark McDaid delivery into the box just eluded Darragh McDermott and the ball was cleared by Stephen McLaughlin. Glengad threatened then on 25 minutes when Patrick McDermott got on the end of a Gary Kelly through ball but Odhran O’Brien-Daly got back to block his effort and force a corner. The resulting corner led to the first real chance of the game when Cockhill broke at pace and Adam McLaughlin advanced with the ball to feed Darragh McDermott inside Glengads penalty area but McDermott dragged his shot past keeper Michael McLaughlins right hand post. Ten minutes later and the home side should have gone in front. Darragh McDermott received a pass on the ‘D’ from Adam McCarron before laying off to the inrushing Adam McLaughlin but McLaughlins strike was well saved by the Glengad Keeper McLaughlin. Cockhill got off to the perfect start in the second period when after a Mark McDaid corner on 50 minutes was cleared the home side recycled the ball for Jack McDaid to deliver it back into the area for Odran O’Brien-Daly to glance a header into the bottom corner past the keepers outstretched right hand. The visitors then had another chance as McDermott chased a long hopeful ball from defence and Kyle Dougal had to be alert to smother the danger. Cockhill were awarded a penalty on 70 minutes when Adam McLaughlin was tripped up in the box. McLaughlin himself took the penalty but was unlucky to see it hit the bottom right hand and away for a goal kick. The home side sealed the win on 84 minutes when Mark McDaid tapped home from 6 yards out after great set up play by Jack McDaid and Adam McLaughlin on the right wing

Inishowen Engineering Division 2 A

Greencastle Res                1

Clonmany Res                    3

Clonmany took the lead with 10 minutes gone when a cross in from the wing was headed home from the edge of the box by Dessie Doherty. Greencastle drew level with 28 minutes gone when there was a scramble in the box after a Joe Doherty corner and Ronan Doherty slotted home from 6 yards out. The home team had another chance when Andrew Peoples crossed from the left side for Ronan Doherty but he fired just past the post. Clonmany then went 2-1up with 35 minutes gone when Conor Doherty played a pass in from the right side to Jason Devlin who controlled the ball on the edge of the box and hit a powerful shot to the bottom left corner giving Greencastle keeper Dylan Doherty no chance. In the final minutes of the first half Devlin had a shot well saved by Dylan Doherty  while at the other end Ronan Doherty effort from the edge of the box was well saved by Clonmany keeper Liam McGonagle. Greencastle had the first chance of the second half when a Joe Doherty free was saved by Liam McGonagle. Andrew Peoples for Greencastle then had a shot go in to the side netting after a Kevin McLaughlin free kick. Conor Gillen then shot just wide of the post after a cross from Kevin McLaughlin. Midway through the half  Clonmany’s Dessie Doherty played in Conor Doherty who shot just wide of the right hand post. At the other end Ronan Doherty broke In to the box but was challenged and the ball went for a corner. From the Joe Doherty corner Shaun Cavanagh headed just wide. Greencastle then had two long range efforts from Andrew Peoples and Daniel Rowan go just wide. As Greencastle continued to press a Daniel Rowan free went just over the bar and then on a quick break Devlin shot just over the bar from the edge of the box. Clonmany sealed the points deep in to injury time when sub Killian McCarron  broke free with greencastle throwing men forward and clinically finished to the bottom left corner from the edge of the box.

Aileach Youths       0

Moville Res             4

Played in very windy conditions, Moville with the wind dominated the early exchanges without creating too much.  On thirty minutes, Moville took the lead when Colin Doherty slipped the ball into the path of Pauric Skelly who controlled and fired into the bottom corner past Fox in the home goal. Five minutes before half time they doubled their lead when Graham Doherty fired a free kick from 25 yards into the top corner past Fox.  Aileach started the second half a bit brighter and had a good opening when Aaron Doherty controlled the ball at the edge of the box but fired wide.  Moville came close at the other end when Shane Canning found Pearse Doherty but he dragged his shot across the goal and past the far post.  On the hour, Aileach came close again when Ryan Wilson found space in the area and his shot was well saved by Ryan Coyle in the Moville goal.  From the resulting corner Benny Hegarty had a good shot from twenty yards that Coyle held impressively.  With Aileach pressing to get back into the game, they were always vulnerable on the break and from one such break Colin Doherty found space in the box and fired  goalwards where Fox made a great save to tip his shot onto the bar.  With ten minutes to go Wilson came close again for Aileach before Moville wrapped the game up when Pauric Skelly set up Colin Doherty who shot found the corner despite Fox getting a hand on it.  In the final minute, Doherty found James Gillen who volleyed from twenty yards into the top corner to wrap up the scoring.

Redcastle Res        6

QPS Res                    4

In a high scoring local derby this turned into a personal triumph for Ronan Hoy who bagged five goals. But it was the visitors who took the lead when Joe  Johnstone ran onto a ball over the top to slot low to the corner. Good work by Brendan Murphy then set up Hoy to equalise before Hoy fired his team ahead when he got on the end of a Shane McCauley cross to steer the ball home. But  the point levelled when Marc Wallace slipped the ball through for Johnstone to fire home his second. Redcastle regained the lead on the half hour when Darren Harkin advanced and squared the ball for Hoy to complete his hat trick. Hoy then went on a solo run past two defenders and into the area to drill home his fourth of the game. But five minutes after  the break the visitors got a goal back when Wallace fired home from twenty yards. A superb Darren Harkin strike then made it five three before Johnstone set up Wallace and he calmly  fired home to leave it five four. The home side sealed the points when a defensive error allowed Hoy to claim his fifth of the game.

Inishowen Engineering Division 2 B

Cockhill Res             1         

Dunree Res             3

The match was reversed to Dunree and played in difficult conditions.

It was Dunree who settled better in the early stages with Liam Baldrick

pulling the strings in midfield for Dunree. Dunree took the lead midway through the first half when David Eccles headed in at the back post from a corner. Cockhill started to get in to the match after the break and were level when a Mark Gillespie corner was headed home by Martin Breslin. Clear cut chances were hard to come by for both teams but it was Dunree who took the lead with 10 minutes to go when Michael Grant fired home from the edge of the box. Dunree sealed the win shortly after with Liam Baldrick quickest to react to a loose ball in midfield and his pin point pass found TJ McKinley just inside the box to head home.

Culdaff Res              1         

Illies  Res                 2

There was very little in the first half with Martin Donaghey and Dominic Doherty dominant in defence for the visitors and Michael McFadden and Paul Mills  equally so. But the home side had two half chances before the interval with Niall Mclaughlin heading over on each occasion. Culdaff had the first chance of the second period after great work by Joe O’Connor on the right saw him square the ball to Jack McLaughlin but with the goal gaping he fired wide from twelve yards. Minutes later McLaughlin advanced past two men inside the area but saw his shot blocked by Graham Doherty from a tight angle. Illies responded and Shane Devlin played a fine ball through to Gavin Doherty but he flicked the ball just past the post. Illies then took the lead on 63 minuets after an inswinging corner from Devlin found the unmarked David Doherty to head past Martin McLaughlin from six yards. They doubled their lead  after Ronan Hegarty pounced on a defensive slip to slot the ball past Mc Laughlin from fifteen yards. Culdaff hit back and  Gary Collins released McLaughlin on the left and his shot was well saved by Doherty diving to his left. Culdaff got a goal back on 83 minutes after a Mark Doherty free was not cleared and Michael McFadden slammed the ball low past Doherty but the visitors held on to claim a vital three points.

Carrowmena FC                 5

Rasheney Res                     0

The game was played in blustery conditions at The Warren, Carrowmena. The first half was  an even affair with both defences coming out on top as neither side created many clear chances, and both teams taking time to get to grips with the wind. Carrowmena started the second half brightly and looked to use the conditions in their favour. On 48 minutes Carrowmena opened the scoring when Declan McDermott’s pinpoint pass picked out Brian Houghton and he finished well under Roger McGilloway in the visitors nets from the edge of the box. They increased their lead on 65 minutes when Brian Houghton turned provider as he crossed low for Gerard Gill to dink a finish into the corner to make it two nil. Gill then got his second on 70 minutes when Declan McGuiness’s through ball opened the away defence and Gill slotted home from 18 yards into the bottom corner. Declan McGuinness got his rewards for good work in midfield when a cross from the right was met with a first time volley to make it four. Carrowmena finished the scoring on 85 minutes when Declan McGuiness got his second with a fine header into the top corner from a Gerard Gill corner.

Rasheney fought on and were unlucky not to get on the scoresheet as Conor McDaid was denied with a low drive that was well saved by Michael Noone in the home nets.