Match Reports Sunday 13th February

Sunday 13th February 

Buncrana Credit Union Cup Quarter finals

Illies Celtic 3

Moville Celtic 1

Illies started well and on 9 minutes a Liam Doherty cross picked out the unmarked Frankie O Connor but he headed tamely over the bar.

Moville replied and crewated an equally good chance when Norbert Indyka fed Michael McNaught but with only Johnathan Noone to beat he blazed over.  The deadlock was broken by the home side on the half hour when David Doherty won possession on half way and played a superb ball into the path of Adrian Donaghey Doherty to fire low past Ryan Coyle. A mix up in the Moville defence before half time then allowed Paul Doherty to shoot and his effort took a wicked  deflection to wrongfoot Coyle and make it two nil. Moville started the second period on the front foot and McNaught  broke through the home defence before unleashing a fine effort which Noone tipped round the post at full stretch. Ten minutes later Noone was called into action again this time saving well from Indyka. Their pressure told midway through the  half when McNaught was upended inside the area and Jack McConalogue sent Noone the wrong way from the spot kick reducing the deficit to the minimum. But Illies rallied and regained the initiative and when Liam Doherty sent Kevin McGonigle clear he scuffed his effort when well placed. They sealed their passage to the semi final on 89 minutes when Paul Doherty converted a penalty after Dominick Doherty had been upended.

Culdaff FC 0

Glengad United 4

Premier division Glengad United proved too strong for the home side  played on Saturday in Caratra Park. Culdaff battled gamely throughout and Eugene & Jack Mclaughlin and Bryan McCandless all had shots which failed to trouble Daniel Mullarkey in the Glengad goal. Glengad opened the scoring midway through the half after a suoerb solo run from Stephen McLaughlin ended with his cross shot converted at the back post by Joe Doherty past Martin McLaughlin . They doubled their lead following a corner which fell to James McKinney and he rifled an unstoppable effort to the top corner. A poor defensive touch minutes into the second half allowed  Stephen McLaughlin to hammer home the third . Culdaff tried to respond and  Ryan Greene and Peter Doherty were both off target with headers. Glengad finished strongly  and McLaughlin saw one effort cleared off the line by Conor McLaughlin before in a one on one he was denied by Martin Mclaughlin in the home goal. Glengad completed the scoring on 78 minutes after a quick break from midfield allowed Joe Doherty to run clear and fire low to the corner to send the premier division side into the semi finals.

Gleneely Colts 0

Aileach FC 5

Gleneely welcomed the premier league leaders to Glenview Park and they were first to show when Dermot Doherty stung the palms of Ben Miller but he was equal with a good save. Gleneely settled and Dylan McDaid had a shot on from the edge of the box but was an easy save for Darragh McLaughlin. At the other end  Jordon McGeadys shot from the edge of the box was saved by the legs of Miller to safety before Miller  then pulled off a great save to tip Gavin Doherty’s goal bound 25 yard effort over the bar. On the half hour, Darragh McLaughlin saved well from a Cahir O’Kane free from just outside the area. But  a minute later the home were almost caught on the counter following  good play from Gavin Doherty on the right whose cross was met by Ethan Canning but his strike from ten yards was deflected wide. Gleneely  responded and after  a throw on Gleneelys right was collected by Corey O Brien his  shot on the spin from the edge of the box was well saved by McLaughlin. Aileach finally broke the deadlock on the stroke of half half when good work on the right by Gavin Doherty  found Caolan Doherty and he smashed it home from 18 yards giving Ben Miller no chance. Aileach made it two nil on the hour  after Dermot Doherty scored from close range before  Jordon McGeady headed home at the back post from a corner. Aileach made it four nil on 81 minutes with Darren McMonigle scoring from eighteen  yards despite Ben Millers best effort. From the resulting centre, Christy Smith tried to lob Darren McLaughlin but he was able to back pedal and save. Aileach finished the scoring when Caolan Doherty poked home after a scramble in the home goal.

Greencastle FC 2

Cockhill Youths 0

The visitors had an early chance after an Oisin O Flaherty effort was deflected but keeper Jason McCallion gathered well. Greencastle responded and had a few efforts on goal but only a Seamus McLaughlin effort took a save from Eoin Colhoun in the Youths goal.  Kyle Harkin and James Henry fired over while Michael Barr also headed over following a corner.  The home side had a let off on 36 minutes when Conor Graham broke on the right and crossed for O’Flaherty whose well struck volley crashed off the crossbar. Greencastle then struck for the opening goal minutes before the interval. Good play in midfield by Kyle Harkin saw him feed Seamus McLaughlin who turned well on the edge of the area and laid the ball into the path of Gavin Harkin to rifle a superb twenty yards effort low into the bottom corner giving Colhoun no chance. Greencastl started the second half well and Shea Mclaughlin had an early effort saved before from the corner Gavin Harkin drilled wide and James henry went close with a spectacular overhead effort. Cockhill hit back and Grahams free kick was well saved by McCallion , Bradley Callaghan fired wide from the edge of the area and Bobby Bradley headed over from a corner. Greencastle responded with a flurry of efforts which saw Seamus Mclaughlin denied by a fine save from Colhoun and substitutes Jamie McCormick and Christy Hegaerty both wide with efforts. Greencastle then struck for the crucial second goal on 81 minutes when McCormick intercepted a crossfield pass, evaded a challenge and played a superb pass into the path of Hegarty to drill home. Cockhill did have a late chance but Rian Gallagher headed over from a corner as the home side advance.

Jackie Crossan Premier Division   

Carn FC 1

Buncrana Hearts 3

Buncrana had the first chance  on 5 minutes  when Kieran McDaid broke on the right right wing ,rounded the defender and squared it for Bart Wesolowski who shot  wide from twelve yards. They  had another chance on 13 minutes after Kieran McDaid’s corner from the right found Aaron McDaid who alose failed to hit the target from fourteen yards. Carn then  broke the deadlock midway through the half  when Dayton Cooke broke on the right wing and laid it off for Cian Burke whose low shot from ten yards  bounced off the right post but Burke followed up  to tap in the rebound . Buncrana equalized on just before the half hour when Kevin Jordan advanced on the left wing and crossed  for Aaron McDaid who evaded a tackle  and drilled it to the bottom right corner of the net from outside the area. Buncrana Hearts took the lead eight minutes before the break after  a through ball from Wesoloski found Darrach O’Connor who fired high to the top right corner of the net from fifteen yards. Carn had a chance to equalize  after the break  when  Lorcan Bradley  found Kyran Cantwell whose  low  effort from the edge of the area  was well saved by Rory Kelly In the hearts goal. Buncrana increased their lead just after the hour mark when Kieran McDaid made a great run on the right and crossed for  O’Connor who lobbed the ball past Kyle Harkin in the carn goal . Buncrana were reduced to ten men  minutes later after Kieran  McDaid collected a second yellow card.

The home side tried hard to get back into the game and when  Michael McDermott released Cantwell he failed to hit the target when well placed inside the area. They had another chance late on after Cantwells cross fell to McDermott who laid it off to substitute Conan Gibbons but his effort was well saved low to his left by Kelly.


Strand Hotel Division One

Clonmany Res 1

Aileach Res 2

Aileach Res under manager Gerard Arbuckle clinched the league title with  this hard fought win in Shamrock park, Clonmany on  Sunday morning. With two games remaining they will also  seek to go through their campaign unbeaten. They had the first chance of the game but Anthony  Doherty s long range effort was well saved by Kieran Friel in the home goal. Clonmany responded and Dessie Doherty had one shot saved by Sean McGuinness before seeing another go just over after good approach play by Marty Doherty on both occasions.  Aileach took the lead  midway through the half then when Stephen O Donnell unleashed a stunning twenty five yards  effort to the top corner. O Donnell then had a free header but headed straight at Friel before at the other end Marty Doherty fired over. On the stroke of half time the visitors doubled their lead when a Darren Bradley cross was back heeled past Friel by O Donnell. O Donnell then had the first attempt  of the second half  when Friel tipped round shot around the post before saving another effort  from the same player. Clonmany reduced the deficit on the hour mark after a clearance fell to substitute Niall Mclaughlin who fired just inside the post. McLaughlin then had a free kick go just wide before at the other end Friel done well to tip over a Darren Bradley free. The home side had a  late chance to salvage a point but Niall Mc Laughlin headed just over from a corner.

Pictured is Inishowen League Registrar Jude Mc Crossan presenting the Strand Hotel First Division Shield to Anto Doherty Captain of Aileach Reserves

Aileach Reserves First Division Champions

Dunree United 1


In heavy conditions the home side were first to threaten after Liam Baldrick released Callum Booth but Oisin Burke was out quickly to smother at his feet. The point replied and Darragh McDermott  had  a long range  effort off target. There was more action in the second half and the home side took the lead when  Conor Barrett reacted first to a loose ball inside the area to drill home. The visitors raised the tempo and got back on terms after the home defence failed to clear and Oisin Lynch took full advantage  to fire home through a crowd of players in the 64th minute. The visitors got on top at this stage and they took the lead on 76 minutes after Darragh McDermott beat the offside trap to race clear, round the keeper and slot home. Dunree had a chance to level when a free kick into the area fell for Kyle Barrett who  volleyed wide when well placed. The home sides final chance came on the stroke of full time but Shaun Mulhern could not keep his effort on target.

Inishowen Engineering Division Two  A  

Rasheney FC 4

Buncrana Res 2

Rasheney started this game week and in the opening exchanges an Anthony Doherty header and a Shane Cregan effort were both saved by Oran McBride in the visitors goal. Declan McLaughlin then cut inside from the right but saw his effort also saved by McBride. Buncrana replied and a powerful Chrisopher McKinley effort was kicked away by keeper Damien Friel. After Cregan was upened in the area in the 22nd minute Charlie Doherty despatched the penalty low to the corner to open the scoring. Buncrana rallied and equalised on 33 minutes when a Daniel McGonigle ball over the top released Gerard Boyle to lob the advancing Friel from the edge of the area. But within a minute Rasheney had regained the lead after the visitors defence failed to clear a corner and David McLaughlin unleashed a sweetly struck effort to the roof of the net from fourteen yards.After a quiet start to the second half the home side increased their lead on 61 minutes when David McLaughlin s cross found Declan McLaughlin whose miskick fell perfectly for John McLaughlin to slot home. Rasheney continued to press and  David McLaughlins angled drive went just past the far post. Buncrana rallied and when  Friel failed to hold an inswinging corner the  ball fell to Daniel McGonigle to slot home from close range. They went close again minutes later after a Michael Doherty free crashed back off the bar. But the home side sealed the points in the final minutes with David McLaughlin breaking and crossing for Declan McLaughlin to slot past McBride.

Carrowmena FC 1

Carn Res 0

The home side took the lead on 11  minutes when Ryan McDermott converted a penalty low past Daniel McDaid  after Ciaran Browne had been upended in the area. There was little in the way of goal mouth action then but in the latter stages of the half Carn came well into the game with Joe McKinney and Conan Gibbons prominent.Before the break McKinney threaded a ball into Denim McLaughlin but his twenty yards effort was straight at Kyle Dougal in the home goal. The pattern continued in the second half with McKinney , Dermot Doherty and Tiernan Kelly very prominent for Carn but held at bay by Raymons Campbell and mark Browne in the home defence. Carn had the only two chances of note the first on 63 minutes after Ciaran O Kane crossed for Shane McGuinness to unleash an effort but Dougal gathered well. Dougal then ensured the home side collected all three points when he made a stunning finger tip save to tip away Denim Mclaughlins goal bound effort.

Inishowen Engineering  Division  Two  A

P W D L F A Pts
Carrowmena FC 15 11 2 2 59 29 35
Rasheney FC 14 10 0 4 41 21 30
Buncrana Res 12 8 0 4 37 25 24
Illies Res 13 7 3 3 24 17 24
Cockhill Res 14 6 4 4 44 24 22
Sea Rovers 13 6 3 4 33 28 21
Carn Res 14 6 2 6 45 36 20

Inishowen Engineering Division Two    B   

Culdaff Res 1

Clonmany Youths 2

Culdaff opened the scoring in the 10th minute when they were awarded a penalty for handball allowing Noel McLaughlin to blast the ball down the middle past  Killian McCarron. Clonmany levelled matters midway through the half after Ethan Devlin slipped a fine ball in to Aaron Porter to drill low past  Dermot Callaghan in the home goal. On the half hour the home side went close after a corner fell to Conor Doherty on the edge of the area but his deflected effort came off the post. The visitors had a clear chance on 41 minutes but Porter was denied by the advancing Callaghan in a one on one. On the stroke of half time Culdaffs Aiden Cunningham broke from half way into the area but dragged his effort wide of the target.  Culdaff started the second half well and on 56 minutes a Noel Mclaughlin cross found Rhys McDaid but from point blank range his effort came back off the post. They continued to press and a Sean McGrenaghan effort from distance clipped the crossbar on the way over . On 75 minutes Matt McDaid played a neat one two with Cunningham but his effort went just wide. Clonmany weathered the storm and finished well. Callaghn in the home goal made a fine double save to deny Thomas Comiskey and Sean McCarron. The visitors then snatched all three points on 88 minutes after Porter broke and crossed from the byeline for Comiskey to slot home from close range.

Moville Res 6

Rasheney Res 1

Moville had the first chance of the game with a Danny Murphy effort saved by Roger McGilloway in the visitors goal. Rasheney replied and stunned the home side when Mark Diver fired a free kick around the wall and into the bottom corner past Stephen Teles. Moville upped the tempo and levelled on 22 minutes after a Ronan McCarron pass released Murphy to drill low past McGilloway. Minutes later  a superb solo run from Murphy took him into the area and he finished with aplomb past McGilloway to give the home side the lead. Number three arrived on 36 minutes after a long range effort from McCarron deceived  McGilloway. Moville were well on top  at this stage and good interplay between Lorcan Gillen and McCarron released Michael McCarron whose low cross was slotted home from close range by Murphy to complete his hat trick. On the stroke of half time they added a fifth when Mark  Grimley converted a penalty after Murphy had been upended. Rasheney staretd the second half well with Philip Harkin wide with a long range effort before Diver fired another free just past the post. Moville finshed strongly and Andrew Burke fired wide when well placed before they completed the scoring on 83 minutes after Michale McCarron  crossed for Grimley to slot past McGilloway low to the corner. Dunree had the final chance after an Ethan Gill effort was well saved by Teles.

Aileach Youth 4

Dunree Res 1

Aileach got a dream start in the second minute when a Sean McHugh cross cum shot flew over Philip Doherty and into the roof of the net. Dunree then got back on terms when  Ryan Toland fired a free kick past Dylan Clarke and in off the post. The home side had the next chance  but Benny Hegartys effort was just wide from the edge of the area. Dunree had a good spell with Kiam Grant firing wide when well plaved before Sean Doherty had an effort saved by Clarke. Aileach started the second half well and took the lead on 55 minutes after Tom Doherty headed home Dylan McGrorys corner. They increased their lead five minutes later when Daibhidh Grant despatched a free kick from the edge of the area low into the bottom corner. The home side completed the scoring late on when Aaron Doherty converted a penalty after he had been upended in the area.

Inishowen Engineering  Division  Two  B

P W D L F A Pts
Moville Res 14 7 1 6 32 30 22
Clonmany Youths 16 6 2 8 34 43 20
Aileach Youths 13 5 2 6 24 38 17
Culdaff Res 15 3 2 10 25 40 11
Dunree Res 16 3 2 11 25 59 11
Rasheney RES 15 2 1 12 6 46 7