Match Reports Sunday 12th September

Inishowen Football League Fixtures  2021-22

Jackie Crossan Premier Division  

Cockhill Youths 0

Illies Celtic 0

Cockhill Celtic Youth and Illies Celtic FC played out a hard-fought scoreless draw at the Charlie O’Donnell Sports earlier on Sunday.

In a game of very few clear-cut chances it was the home side who had the first chance on 6 minutes when Adam Duffy latched onto a pass down the left channel by Shane Doherty to deliver an excellent ball across goal only for Daniel Doherty’s effort to come back of the keepers left hand post and Illies defender David Doherty cleared the danger. Illies threatened on 9 minutes after Frankie O’Connor released Aidrian Donaghey-Doherty in behind the Cockhill defence only to see his right footed effort gathered with easy by Jamie Bell at his near post. It was the Illies who had the last chance of the first half on 44 minutes when Brendan Doherty picked up a pass from brother Paul before making room on the left edge of the 18 yards box to curl an effort that was heading to the bottom corner only for a strong left hand from Cockhills Jamie Bell.

Illies had the first chance after the restart when Kevin McGonagle nicked the ball from Mark Moran to advance and release Aidrian Donaghey-Doherty in behind for a one-on-one chance with the home keeper but the young striker had a tame finish that was pushed aside by Bell before O’Brien-Daly eventually cleared. Cockhill where forced into a change on 68 minutes when David Laird replaced Christopher Duffy who had to go off with a Knee injury and we can only hope that its nothing too serious. The home side huffed and puffed to create an opening in the final 20 minutes but the Illies defence stood firm to anything the home side had to offer. Cockhill had the final big chance of the game when Michel Owen Doherty showed great close control inside the area but with only the keeper to beat the young forward took too long and David Doherty was there with a last-ditch tackle to block the effort for keeper Noone to come and gather. The draw was the fair result and both sides pick up their first points of the new season.

Aileach FC 6

Carn FC 1

The home side carved out the first chance of note on 10 minutes when Darren McMonagle raced onto a Gavin Doherty  through ball but his attempted lob was superbly tipped over by Dean Mason in the Carn goal. On 15 minutes Aileach were ahead when Darren McMonagle beat the offside trap before rounding the keeper and tapping home. After the half hour it was 2 when Gavin Doherty played the ball into Darren McMonagle who set up Dermot Doherty to fire high past Mason from eight yards. It was  on the stroke  of half time before an under strength Carn carved out their first chance of note. A cross from the right found Christy McLaughlin whose shot from an angle brought a smart save from Darragh McLaughlin low to his right.The second half was barely  minutes old when the home side added a third. Ethan Canning broke down the left and crossed for Darren McMonagle who fluffed his first effort but he retained possession and fired goalwards bringing a good stop from Mason but the netminder was unfortunate to see his parry rebound off a defender and end up in the goal. Aileach were on top and on 50 minutes Darren Gallagher overlapped down the right and crossed for Dermot Doherty whose header from 12 yards clipped the outside of the post. On 72 minutes Carn pulled a goal back when a break down the right resulted in a deep cross which was misjudged by McLaughlin and Cade Cooke was on hand to volley home from a narrow angle. Within 3 minutes they could have pulled another goal back when the same player sprung the offside trap but McLaughlin did well to deny the centre forward. That scare woke the home side from their slumber and in the 75th  minute substitute Pol McGrory made it four when he picked the ball up 25 yards out and fired an unstoppable shot low past Mason’s right hand. Number five arrived on 82 minutes when  a corner from the left found Shane Mc Monagle unmarked at the back post he controlled well before firing low to the net from close range. The scoring was completed on 86 minutes when Darren McMonagle controlled well on the edge of the box before sidestepping a defender and curling a left foot shot beyond Mason

Greencastle FC 3

Moville Celtic 0

This was an entertaining game at Chapel Lane in good conditions . On 20 minutes Jack Coyle slipped the  ball through to Nigel McMonagle and he finishes well into bottom right hand corner past Seamus Houghton. Greencastle extended their lead on  the half hour when James Henry headed home from a Jack Coyle cross. Moville started brightly on the second half and Paddy Quigley made a great save to deny Michael McNaught. Paddy Quigley in the Greencastle nets was in brilliant form and continued to frustrate Moville. The game was essentially over when Jack Coyle again passed to McMonagle to score his second and Greencastles third on the 70th minute. The last 20 minutes was end to end with Moville keeping the pressure on Greencastle with both keepers outstanding. 

Clonmany Shamrocks 0

Buncrana Hearts 0

Clonmany created a good chance in the first minute when Alex McFadden burst past the Buncrana left back to centre to Jamie Coyle on the edge of the Buncrana box but Buncrana keeper Eoghan O’Doherty was able to save low to his left.Buncrana forced a corner in the 13th minute when Keith McColgan broke in from the left wing and passed across the six yard line but Michael Coyle’s shot was deflected wide by Conor Bradley. Buncrana pressed Clonmany back for long spells during the first half forcing them to defend at the edge of their box  with Conor Bradley and Liam Hirrell to the fore.Buncrana went close again in the 34th minute when Kieran McDaid sent Mikey Friel through one on one with Paddy Harkin but Paddy was off his line sharply and came out to block Mikey at the edge of the Clonmany box. Clonmany’s best chances were coming from set pieces and they went close in the 39th minute when Matthew Brennan’s free-kick from the half-way line found Paddy Doherty’s head in the box but he could’nt direct it goalward.Just before the break Buncrana had a set piece of their own in the 41st minute when they were awarded a free-kick on the edge of the centre-circle , which Kieran McDaId took, and his curling delivery was met by Kevin O’Loughlin’s head but he couldn’t direct his header goalward.

The second half started with Buncrana’s Michael Coyle bursting through onto a long ball which left him through with only Paddy Harkin to beat but again Paddy was out swiftly to block at the feet of the Buncrana forward and clear the danger. This was Michael Coyle’s last involvement as he came off second best in the challenge and had to be replaced by Bart Wesolowski. The second half seemed to follow the same pattern as the first half with Buncrana having more possession of the ball but they were unable to convert this into any clear chances due to stubborn defending by Clonmany’s defence.The best chance of the second half fell to Clonmany’s Dean Harkin who won possession of the ball on the left wing before drifting inside and unleashing a dipping shot from 30 yards which caught Eoghan O’Doherty off his line but rebounded off the cross bar , coming to the inrushing Jamie Coyle too quickly for him to control his volley and keeping it on target.The last clear chance of the game fell to Buncrana’s Mikey Friel when Kieran McDaid sent him though on the left of the box but his right foot curling shot went narrowly wide of Paddy Harkin’s left hand post. The draw was probably the fairest result in a game which neither team deserved defeat.

Strand Hotel Division One   

Glengad Res 4

Clonmany Res 5

After an even opening the visitors took the lead midway through the half when Mark McLaughlin’s cross cum shot flew into the top corner. Glengad responded and John G McDermott went close with a good effort from the edge of the area. Five minutes after the break the visitors doubled their lead when  Dessie Doherty bundled the ball home from close range after a corner was not cleared. They made it three nil when Liam McGonigle converted from a Doherty pass. Glengad replied and PJ McDaid reduced the deficit with a neat finish. They went close again after Oran Doherty rounded the keeper but was denied by a superb Philip Devlin tackle. Clonmany responded and Aaron  Harkin made it four one when he finished well from inside the area. Glengad rallied and Patrick McDermott added two quick goals to make it four three to the visitors. Firstly he fired a thirty yards effort to the top corner  before intercepting a back pass  and calmly slotting home.  However an error  in the home defence allowed Thomas Comiskey to make it five three. Glengad completed the scoring in the final minute when McDermott completed his hat trick but Clonmany took the points.

Culdaff FC 1

Aileach Res 3

Aileach came to Caratra Park and went away with the points after an entertaining game. The home side had an early chance but Jack McLaughlin’s effort was saved by Sean McGuinness. At the other end a Davy Ryan cross looked destined for Darren Bradley but Thomas O’Brien made a timely interception. Culdaff took the lead on 43 minutes after Aiden Cunninghams effort broke into the path of McLaughlin who slotted past McGuinness for his sixth league goal of the season. But Aileach equalised on the stroke of half time with Killian O’ Rourke firing a free to the roof of the net. The visitors took the lead on 57 minutes after Anthony Doherty broke through the home defence to fire low past Puaric O’Donnell in the home goal. Culdaff should have equalised midway through the half when Cunningham failed to hit the target from close range. Culdaff continued to press but  the Aileach defence stood firm. The visitors sealed the points late on after O’Rourke fired another free kick to the roof of the net.


Greencastle Youth 1

Greencastle had a let off early on when Darragh Mc Dermott’s shot came back off the post and the home side threatened again but keeper Seamy Mc Laughlin saved Josh Boyle’s attempt from just outside the area. In the next attack Boyle’s ball in from the right wing was backheeled to the net by Mc Dermott to open the scoring. The visitors were desperately unlucky not to equalise when Burke pushed an Evan Davenport left wing cross out as far as Brendan Mc Clenaghan whose shot came off the inside of an upright and rolled along the goal line before being cleared. Mc Dermott then doubled his tally when he got on the end of a David Healy cross and scored from 15 yards and the scoreline moved on to three nil when Eoghan Rafferty floated in a corner from the right for Deaglan Bown to head home at the back post. Mc Laughlin saved with his legs from John Mc Closkey to prevent another score but the fourth arrived when Boyle shot in off the post from a tight angle. Soon after the break Mc Dermott completed his hat trick – heading to the net from Mc Closkey’s delivery. Further openings fell to Healy whose shot from distance came back off the crossbar and to sub Aaron Scott who shot wide when well placed. QPS’s sixth score came via a defender deflection from a Chris Downey cross and the same player set up Rafferty to score from close in for the seventh. Greencastle got a late consolation when Ruairi Mc Court laid off to Daniel Rowan to fire high into the net.

Redcastle United 1

Gleneely Colts 3

It was a very evenly contested first half with very few chances. Both keepers having little to do resulted in a nil nil scoreline at half time.The game came to life 5 minutes into the second half when a ball over the top of the Redcastle defence fell to Billy McCann who scored with a fine shot over Mickey McCole in the Redcastle goal.
Less than 10 minutes later the visitors increased their lead when a back pass from Cahir McLaughlin was miscontrolled by Mickey McCole and landed in the Redcastle net.Redcastle had a chance to half the deficit when they were awarded a penalty after a charge in the box, however Sean Curran’s penalty was easily saved by the Gleneely keeper.  Redcastle were awarded a  second penalty when hand ball was given. Brendan Murphy stepped up this time and his spot kick was again well saved by the Gleneely keeper low to his left. Finally Redcastle halved the deficit when Darragh McConway knocked the ball home from close range on 85 minutes. Gleneely however sealed the points two minutes later with a crisp shot from Cory O’Brien from the edge of the area.


Inishowen Engineering Division Two   

Cockhill  Res 7

Moville Res 0

Cockhill Reserves returned to Celtic Park for the first time in over 4 years and took full advantage.In a very tight and hard fought first half Cockhill were made to work very hard for their half time lead.An early goal from Mark Gillespie was quickly followed up by Cian Downey who saw his penalty well saved but he was first to react to slot home the rebound.Kevin McDaid made it four nil with a quick fire double before half time, finishing well from close range after good work from Ryan Downey and then with a superbly taken second, finishing first time after being played in by Andy McIlhinney.Ryan McDaid showed great composure to finish low past Moville keeper before Kevin McDaid completed his hat-trick with a fine turn and finish.

Sean McColgan capped off a great return to Celtic Park with a cool finish to make it seven without reply to earn Cockhill their first win of the season after their bye week.

Aileach Youth 3

Culdaff  Res 2

Aileach started brightly with Paddy Curran prominent in the early stages.Curran came close within 5 minutes when his effort was parried by the keeper on the crossbar when well placed.  Aileach took the lead on 10 minutes when a Dan Nolan free kick found Kevin Wallace at the back post and he headed into the net.  On 15 minutes a corner from the right was headed against the crossbar by Wallace and his follow up was well saved by Dermot  Callaghan. Aileach increased their lead on 20 minutes when a Gareth McLaughlin corner was met by Kevin Wallace whose header was saved by the Callaghan but it fell to the feet of Willie O’Donnell who slotted home. On the half hour, Culdaff had a chance when a through ball found Niall Gordon who shot low to the right but Dylan Clarke in the home goal got a hand to it to push it round the post for a corner.  Minutes later, Aileach stretched their lead when David Walker released Gareth McLaughlin who raced through and he slotted home from the edge of the box.  Culdaff pushed hard to get back into the game and got their reward on the stroke of half time when Niall Gordon got through again on the right and this time he made no mistake. Culdaff pushed hard at the start of the second half but were unable to create a meaningful opening.  Aileach had a chance on 70 minutes when McLaughlin’s shot was saved when well placed.  Culdaff set up a grandstand finish with 5 minutes to go when Taylor Bonner cut in from the right and fired an unstoppable shot into the top corner. Culdaff pressed hard for an equaliser but Wallace and Walker defended well in the latter stages to wrap up the points for Aileach.

Rasheney FC 7

Carowmena FC 2

Rasheney created early chances but failed to register a score. David Mc Laughlin was played through by his brother John but keeper Maurice Mc Geady was alert to the danger and saved. Shortly afterwards the same player was out of luck again when he headed a Charlie Doherty cross wide of goal. David Mc Laughlin then turned provider and played in Shane Cregan but Mc Geady gathered. The home side continued to create openings and David Mc Laughlin latched onto an over the top ball but shot wide. However, it was Carrowmena who moved ahead in the match. There was a misunderstanding between between the home keeper and one of his defenders and Adam Harkin took advantage to shoot to the net. Less than 10 minutes later the visitors advantage was doubled when Ronan Doherty latched onto an over the top ball and scored from inside the area. Rasheney were stunned but almost immediately they pulled a goal back when Charlie Doherty converted a Declan Mc Laughlin cross. Close to half time it was all square when Shane Cregan got on the end of a Conor O’Neill forward delivery and rolled home from a tight angle. In the first minute of the second half Rasheney moved ahead for the first time when Doherty had the easy task of tapping home from close in after a David Mc Laughlin cross from the right. The same two players were involved again in the build up which saw Dohery score again and complete his hat trick. Cormac Dillon then provided an assist as his run and cross set up Caylum Long to hammer high into the net. In the final 10 minutes Dillon got on the scoresheet twice – firstly when he robbed a defender, rounded Mc Geady and scored and then when he was set up by John Mc Laughlin, he was able to shoot past the keeper.


Rasheney Res 0

Sea Rovers 3

In the opening minutes Rasheney had an opportunity to move in front but in a one on one with the goalkeeper Ronan Mc Conologue was unable to capitalise. At the other end Damien Ward’s long distance free was held by Oliver Crouch and Oisin Hasson’s drive from a tight angle was just past the far post. For the home side Mc Conologue advanced along the left and delivered into the goalmouth where Aidan Hirrell headed over before Mark Diver shot was parried away by Ben Collins. Mid way through the half Sea Rovers hit the front when Declan Mc Gonagle squared into the box from the left hand side of the penalty area for Hasson to fire home. On the half hour mark the lead was doubled when Andrew Gallagher picked up a ball and advanced deep into the area to drive to the net. After the interval the visitors should have added to their tally. David Doherty put a short cross into the goalmouth where the ball was headed out to Keelan Doherty but he shot over when right in front of goal. On 53 minutes Daniel Gallagher was introduced and with his first touch his looping effort from distance dropped in behind the keeper for a 3 – 0 scoreline. The same player came close again but his free from outside the box came off the crossbar before being gathered by Crouch. Sea Rovers final opportunity came when sub Anthony Cantwell advanced along the wing and pushed the ball forward to another sub Matthew Quirke but Crouch was out quickly to thwart the forward.


Illies Res 3

Dunree Res 0

The first clearcut opening fell to the visitors but Neil Moran’s well struck attempt was tipped behind by Graham Doherty. Illies broke the deadlock after half an hour. Ronan Hegarty headed down into the path of Marty Doherty and he ran through to slot home from close to the penalty spot. The home side could have increased their lead on the stroke of half time but from Shane Devlin’s cross Hegarty was unlucky to see his header come off the base of the upright. Early in the second half Devlin delivered an enticing ball across the box but there were no takers. Devlin continued to be influential and when he pulled the ball back Nathan Mc Laughlin scored from just inside the area. Almost immediately the third and final goal arrived when Hegarty got on the end of a Joe Mc Laughlin delivery and drove to the net from a tight angle.