Match Reports Sunday 12th November

Inishowen Football League Reports  12th November 

Jackie Crossan Premier Division

Buncrana Hearts  1

Cockhill Celtic 2

This local derby at Castle Park was a typical cagey affair with the visitors enjoying more of the possession in the opening half. Buncrana had the first effort when a Kieran McDaid shot was comfortably gathered by Harry Doherty.

Cockhill responded and broke the deadlock on 20 minutes after an inswinging  Lee McColgan corner deceived everyone and crept in at the near post. They had another chance on the half hour when Keegan Hegarty crossed for Luke Rudden who headed over. On the stroke of half time the home side equalised with a superb move. McDaid collected  possession and cut inside a defender before threading a pass into the path of Shaunie Bradley who calmly lifted the ball over the advancing Doherty to send the home side the happier of the two at the break. Cockhill started the second half the better with Luke Ruddens cross poked wide at full stretch by Jay Bradley. Midway through the half Rudden found space to unleash an effort which clipped the crossbar on the way over. When the Buncrana defence failed to clear a corner Jay Bradley  was on hand to  shoot past Taylor Clarke from five yards to restore the visitors advantage. Buncrana almost snatched another equaliser in the 85th minute after Sean Mullan flicked on a throw in for Eoin Murphy to unleash a superb volley but Harry Doherty made a  brilliant save to ensure the visitors left with all three points.


Clonmany Shamrocks 2

Greencastle FC 0

Greencastle looked to bounce back from last weeks cup defeat but struggled in the opening half to make any headway against the home defence. They had the first chance when Nathan Harkin s effort from the edge of the area was blocked and Nigel McMonagle s header was gathered by Liam McGonigle. Clonmany responded and when Matthew Brennan released Jason Devlin his effort was turned round the post at full stretch by Jason McCallion. Brennan then sent a looping cross in for Devlins header to again be saved by McCallion.  On 35 minutes Gareth Bradley won a  tackle at the back and fed Jamie Coyle but McCallion advanced to the edge of the area to clear. Devlin then laid the ball off  for Aaron Porter whose well hit effort was again saved at full stretch by McCallion. Before half time the visitors responded with  McMonagle seeing a low shot from the edge of the area smothered by McGonigle as the half ended scoreless.  Clonmany broke the deadlock four minutes after the break when Brennans cross broke kindly for Jamie Coyle who stroked the ball into the bottom corner from eight yards. They went two nil up six minutes later when Devlin advanced from half way and with the Greencastle defence backing off he unleashed a stunning left footed effort from twenty six yards to the top corner. Greencastle tried to respond and McMonagle had an effort blocked by Jake Harkin and saw his follow up blocked by the legs of McGonigle.  Shaun Doherty then headed a Seamus McLaughlin cross wide before Paul Clifford blazed over from distance.  Substitute Kyle Harkin then had an effort tipped over by McGonigle and the same player had the final chance from the corner with McGonigle tipping his effort round the post.

Pictured is Jamie Coyle and Jason Devlin Clonmany’s goal scorer’s




Aileach FC 5

Moville Celtic 0

After 8 minutes Moville had the first decent opening when Roan Doherty found space twenty five yards  from goal and his fierce drive was just wide of Dylan Porters left hand post. Aileach had a good chance to open the scoring just minutes later but Darren Bradley’s effort from a narrow angle hit the side netting. The home side took the lead on 20 minutes when Caoimhin McFeeley intercepted a back pass and slipped the ball past the helpless Stephen Telles. The home side doubled their lead minutes later  when Darren Bradley outpaced the defence and rounded Telles before finishing to the empty net. After this setback, the young Moville side settled and began to get a foothold and on 35 minutes Norbert Indyka wriggled free on the edge of the box and fired goalwards but Dylan Porter did well to turn his effort round the post. With half time approaching, Porter was called into action again when the same player hit a free kick from 30 yards which Porter did well to tip over the bar. 

On 55 minutes, Aileach made it three nil  from the penalty spot when Gavin Doherty converted after Dermot Doherty was fouled in the box. Five minutes later it was four  when Caoimhin McFeeley beat his man and cut inside and fired an unstoppable shot from 20 yards high past Telles. Aileach completed the scoring when  McFeeley and Bradley combined well inside the box for the latter to round Telles and slide the ball home. The young Moville side never gave up and tried to play good possession football but found it difficult against their more experienced opponents and the home side saw the game out comfortably.


Glengad United 1

Illies Celtic 1

Illies started well and created the first clear chance of the game when Shane Doherty fed Patrick Curran who cut in from the right but saw his low effort well saved by Zach Conlon. Glengad responded  with Christy McLaughlin breaking forward and crossing for Terence Doherty who failed to hit the target from twelve yards and well placed. There was a lull in the action then until minutes before the interval when the visitors opened the scoring from the penalty spot with Liam Doherty converting low to the corner after he had been upended. Glengad started well on the resumption when Doherty laid the ball off to McLaughlin who fired over from twenty yards. The home side got back on terms minutes after  with  a deep corner powerfully headed home by Joe Doherty at the back post. Glengad were on top at this stage and and Terence Doherty was denied by a brilliant save from Johnathan Noone before the same player got on the  end of a Matthew Mooney cross but fired wide from twelve yards. Illies then spurned a gilt edged chance to snatch all three point after  a defender slipped failing to cut out a Sean Mulhern cross and the ball fell to substitute Oran Doherty who shot wide from point blank range.


Strand Hotel First Division


Buncrana Res 4

The visitors had the better of the opening half and went ahead when Cathal McNutt rose unchallenged  to head home following a corner. They doubled their lead before the break from another corner this time Seannan Murphy heading past Stephen Slattery. On the restart Buncrana added a third goal on the hour mark when Liam Jordan headed past Slattery from close range.   But the home side rallied at this stage and two quick fire goals both from Seamus McFadden put the game in the melting pot. With the Point pushing forward  the visitors caught them on the break with Adam Doherty advancing to hammer a twenty five yards effort into the top corner to  seal the points 


Aileach Res 0

Culdaff FC 4

The home  side  had much the better of the opening half but a clinical period before half time settled this game in the visitors favour. A Dylan McGrory free kick deflected off a defender and onto the post in the 5th minute. Then Caoimhin Lavery sent Stephen O Donnell clear but he was denied in a one on one by a superb save from Patrick McLaughlin.  Midway through the half a sharp turn and shot from Josh Boyle was turned round the post at full stretch by McLaughlin  again. Culdaff  came more into the game then and opened the scoring on 27 minutes after good work on the left by Brendan Mclaughlin saw his cross evade David McGeady and Euan McFeely was on hand to slot home at the back post.  A long ball then from Michael Doran released McLaughlin on the left and when his effort was well parried by McGeady Jack O Brien was on hand to slot home the rebound. Before the break Keelan Doherty found McLaughlin who scored the third with a superb curling effort from twenty yards into the bottom corner. Culdaff had the first chance of the second period as well when after good work from McLaughlin he fed Doherty whose well struck effort was tipped over the bar by McGeady. The visitors added the fourth goal on the hour mark with Aiden Cunningham converting a penalty after McLaughlin had been bundled over in the area. Aileach had the final chance of the game  with a Josh Boyle cross cum shot well tipped onto the bar and over by McLaughlin.

Culdaff goal scorers B. Mc Laughlin,E. Mc Feely, J.O’ Brien, A Cunnigham

Aileach Reserves


Dunree United 8

Clonmany  Res 1

The home side began well and were first to threaten when Gerry Farrell raced onto a through ball but failed to hit the target.  They opened the scoring after 8 minutes when the visitors defence failed to deal with a  long ball allowing Thomas Mulhern to nip  in and slot home. Farrell then  squared the ball to Bernie Doherty who was unlucky to see his effort crash back off the post.Again the post came to Clonmanys rescue when Farrell weaved his way into the area and  saw his effort rebound off the woodwork. The pressure finally told on the half hour when Doherty picked out Cian Moran and he fired the homeside two goals ahead.  Conmany responded and from a long free kick the ball  came off a home defender and into the net to reduce the deficit.  But Dunree regained their two goal advantage before the break when the visitors failed to clear a corner and Sean McColgan pounced to slot home from close range. Dunree dominated the second period and made it four one after Farrell cut inside before curling a  superb effort


Rashenny FC 5

Greencastle Youths 1

The  home side  started well and on 2 minutes Gareth McKeever intercepted a defensive pass but was denied by the visitors custodian. McKeever then charged down an attempted clearance in the eleventh minute and this time made  mistake to put the home side ahead. Greencastle responded and Evan Davenport saw an effort well saved by Gavin McLaughlin.  A defensive error then in the Greencastle area allowed Cormac Dillon to head home from close range. Before the break they made it three nil when Damien Friels thirty yards free flew in off the post . Greencastle started the second half well and got a goal back after Jamie Coyle cross was flicked on for Evan Davenport to score with a looping header. They went close again after a defensive header from Rashenny defender came off the crossbar.  The home side regained control with McKeever firing over from distance. They added their fourth goal on 77 minutes after substitute David McLaughlin crossed from the right for Friel to slot home from close range. They completed the scoring in the 80th minute with McLaughlin  crossing to Mckeever who rounded the keeper to slot home. Greencastle had a late chance when a Josh Lafferty free was headed wide by Cian Sharkey  at the back post.


Carn Res 1

Cockhill Youths 1

The early stages was a tight affair with both sides cancelling out each other.  The first half chance of the game fell to Carns  Shay Fallon whose shot was tame and straight into the hands of Darragh O’Donnell. Again O’Donnell was called into action when a Cormaic McLaughlin volley from six yards was  well smothered by the Cockhill keeper. Cockhills first chance came though a Darragh McDermott free kick. His shot whistled past the post of Dan McDaid. Cockhill  then took the lead just before halftime after a  mix up at the back ended in the ball falling to Cockhills McDermott who spotted McDaid off his line from 35 yards out to lob home the opening goal. The second half started much like the first with neither side taking control. Cockhills defence was well organised and dealt well with the home sides attacks. On 83 minutes Carns pressure paid off. A through ball from Cian Doherty found Mark Scott who breezed past the defender and slotted low into the Cockhill net. Carn then had a great chance to win it when Shay Fallon ran in behind the defence but put his effort over the Cockhill bar. Straight from that Cockhill themselves created a great chance to win the game. Shane McLaughlin ran through but his effort was expertly saved by Dan McDaid. Just before the final whistle Carn had the last chance. Fallon again down the right got himself into a shooting position. This time he kept his shot low but Cockhill defender PJ Doherty made a crucial block to ensure the points were shared.

Inish Grass  Division Two Shield 

Rashenny Rovers 3

Dunree Res 0

This bottom of the table clash saw Dunree with the elements in their favour start on top. Good interplay between John Moran and Cormac Doherty set up Oisin McGettigan but he blazed over the bar. A Long range Ronan Walsh shot then  sailed over before McGettigan raced onto a through ball but was denied by the advancing Roger McGilloway. In their first attack in the 33rd minute the home side broke the deadlock after Peter McLaughlin dispossessed  a defender inside the area and squared for Leonardo McGlinchey  to slot lot to the net from fourteen yards. They went close again with an Abdul Al Rasheed effort just off target. Dunree then had the final chance of the half with Cormac Doherty , under pressure from a defender, failing to hit the target. The home side dominated the second period and McGlinchey saw one effort tipped over the bar by Philip Doherty before Doherty advanced from his area to clear as the same player ran onto a long ball from Rasheed. Rashenny continued to press and after a Peter McLaughlin effort was parried by Doherty the rebound fell to McGlinchey to slot home his  second of the game. McGlinchey then had along range chip just off target before the same player turned provider sending McLaughlin clear of the visitors defence to shoot low past Doherty and make it three nil. Dunree had a late chance when a right wing  cross was well claimed by  McGilloway from the head of Paul Jackson.

Cockhill Res 3

Glengad Res 1

Cockhill started this match well and almost opened the scoring inside 2 minutes.  Good play down the right by Liam McDaid playing in James Porter who’s cutback found Niall Breslin on the edge of the box but his effort was well saved by Glengad keeper, Patrick McLaughlin.Cockhill’s early pressure finally paid off after 20 minutes when Sean Bradley set up Shayne Gallagher who curled a great effort in to the top corner from twenty yards out leaving Patrick McLaughlin no chance. Caolan Moore was next to try his luck from distance seeing his twenty five yard effort clip the top of the bar.  It was almost two nil moments later. Caolan Moore played a great defence splitting pass but Patrick McLaughlin denied Niall Breslin with a great close range save. Glengad made Cockhill pay for those missed chances early in the second half and levelled the match up. The Cockhill defence were caught napping when a long free evaded everyone but Glengad’s PJ McDaid drifted off his marker to sneak the ball in at the back post. That goal seemed to waken Cockhill up and after a period of pressure they restored their lead when a Caolan Moore corner was poked home at the near post by Ciaran McNulty for his first goal in senior football. Glengad almost equalised again, catching Cockhill in possession they rattled the post with a fine strike from Caolan McColgan. Cockhill responded immediately and broke away with Joe Lavery doing well down the left, beating a man before cutting inside and was unlucky to see his goal bound effort deflected wide for a corner.

Cockhill added a third late on to seal the points when James Porter played Niall Breslin through on goal who fired a great shot from just inside the box across the goal and into the far corner to make sure of a hard fought three  poin

Cockhill COLTS 9

Carrowmena 1

The meeting of third and fourth proved to be a very one sided aaffair with the home side running riot. They opened the scoring on 7 minutes after Kieran McLaughlin tapped in a Gavin Doherty cross at the back post. Midway through the half they were awarded a penalty for handball which Gerry Gill converted past Michael Noone. Before the interval Gavin Doherty advanced on the left and unleashed a powerful low effort past Noone to leave Cockhill three nil ahead at the break. McLaughlin added his second minutes after the break before Joe Doherty converted a Mark Gillespie cross from twelve yards to make it five nil. Gill and Sean Craig  both converted with efforts from the edge of the area to make it seven nil. Carrowmena kept plugging away and got a consolation on 78 minutes when Brian Houten volleyed home from a corner past Graeme Doherty. But another Gill penalty and a second from Craig made  the final score nine one.


QPS Youth 3

Illies Res 1

The home side had a  gilt edged chance in the 5th minute after Tommy McConalogue was upended in the area but Dean Hegartys spot kick was superbly saved by  Conor Doherty. The visitors then opened the scoring midway through the half when Shane Devlin fired a superb twenty yards effort past Jamie McColgan to the top corner. Illies were on top at this stage with Nathan McLaughlin and Martin Coyle linking well and causing the home defence problems. But the  point got back on terms on 31 minutes after a well worked free kick was finished from five yards by Brian McColgan. They then took the lead before the interval after Oisin Burke fed Hegarty over the top and he raced clear to drill low past Doherty. The second half was  a scrappy affair with defences on top and few chances created at either end. But the Point sealed the three points after Hegarty spotted Doherty off his line and superbly chipped the stranded keeper from thirty yards.


Sea Rovers 2

Aileach Youths 1

The home side  took 20 minutes before they created the  first opening came  and it started with the Rovers keeper with a ball to Conor Mc Closkey who ran at the Aileach defence and set up  Daniel Gallagher who shot low past the Aileach keeper Dylan Clarke to put the home side ahead. Rovers maintained possession for the best part but goal scoring chances were few until just before the interval after a fine ball from Liam Gallagher  found Andrew Gallagher  who finished well to put the home side two goals ahead .The home side started well in the second half and a fine shot from Andrew Gallagher was well saved by Dylan Clarke. Aileach came more into it and won a free kick outside the box  with Daithi Grant  despatching the free kick low into the bottom corner  to bring the visitors right back in it. With both defences on top form either side found it hard to break through. Liam Gallagher set up Rovers John Doherty with a fine ball only to see his shot go inches wide of the post and  Conor Mc Closkey seen his effort minutes later go over the bar. The home team held on well until the fulltime whistle to claim all  three points.

Aileach Youths

Sea Rovers

Redcastle Res 5

Moville Res 4

This local derby  saw Redcastle go one up after 5 minutes  when a cross  from the left by Stephen  Grant  was slotted home by  Darren  Harkin  from six yards .Moville’s first chance chance  came when a shot from twenty yards from Marcus Rule was well saved by Oisin  Quigley.   The home side  went  two up after a corner from Mark Farren  was hammered  home  by Gary Kelly  from ten yards  in the fifteenth  minute. It  got better for the home side then when they added a third  midwaythrough the half  when a shot from  Oisin  Sweeney  was well saved  by Ryan Coyle  but the rebound  was headed  home by Gary Kelly. Moville   responded and got back in the game after  a Danny  Murphy  cross from the left was put low in to  the net by Marcus  Rule . But  Redcastle  added  a fourth  goal on the stroke  of half-time  when  a corner  from Mark  Farren  was headed past his own keeper  by an unfortunate  defender. Moville  started  second  half well and got there  second  when a ball over the top from Martin McGonagle sent Murphy through  and he lobbed   Quigley  from twenty yards . The visitors   were on top at this stage and reduced the deficit to the minimum after  a mix up in the Redcastle  defence  saw the ball falling  to Marcus Rule who made no mistake  scoring  high  into the net from fifteen yards . But   Redcastle  rallied  and scored  fifth   in the 73rd minute   when after great work from Shay Sweeney  down the left he squared  the ball back to Lennie  mc Laughlin  who made no mistake scoring  low into the net from  ten yards.  But the visitors would not go away and again   got back in the game  again when Murphy  was put through  again  with a pass from  John  McGeady and he  fired low into the net from 20 yards  Moville  pushed hard  for an  equaliser  but Redcastle  held on.