Match Reports Sunday 11th September

Sunday 11th September

Jackie Crossan Premier Division 

Clonmany Shamrocks                   2

Illies Celtic                                       4

Illies began this game in the ascendancy and Brendan Doherty fired a half volley just over before Liam Grant was denied by a smothering save from  Gavin McLaughlin in the home goal.

A croner then from Grant caused mayhem in the area before Oisin Hession completed the clearance. But on 27 minutes Illies went ahead after a Paul Doherty cross            from the left was headed back across McLaughlin by Brendan Doherty. They made it two nil then after Grant advanced and cut in from the left before drawing keeper McLaughlin and slipping the ball low to the net. Clonmany rallied and reduced the deficit on the stroke of half time when a Matthew Brennan cross found Jason Devlin to slide in and poke the ball home from close range  giving Johathan Noone no chance. Clonmany had a couple of chances in the opening minutes of the second half  with Pearse McCarron seeing a shot saved by Noone who also  done well to collect a Jason Devlin flicked effort. Substitute Shane McCaul then had a dangerous cross well gathered by Noone before Illies hit back. Paul Doherty had a header saved  before Liam Grant saw an effort crash off the bar to Brendan Grant who blazed the rebound over. Play was swinging from end to end and Aaron Porter’s first time flick was saved by Noone  before McCarron equalized when he got on the end of a Devlin corner to force the ball home. But Illies rallied and two goals in a five minute spell sealed the points. When Liam Doherty had a powerful effort parried by Mclaughlin substitute Michael Owen Doherty slotted home to  restore the visitors lead.  Then Liam Doherty fired a superb free kick from the edge of the area  to make it four two. Illies  also had the final chance after a Sean McCallion cross  found Brendan Doherty whose diving header flew just wide.

Glengad United                  1         

Moville Celtic                      4

Glengad had the first chance after a Matthew Byrne ball over the top found Seamus Doherty whose twenty yards effort just cleared the bar. The visitors took the lead  then  on 14 minutes after Michael McNaught broke  quickly  and ran through the heart of the home defence before slotting past Patrick McLaughlin. They added a second goal midway through the half when Jake Morrow crossed for Paul Smith to slot the ball home from eight yards. Before the break Smith then intercepted a ball in the home defence  and fed McNaught to slip the ball home for a three nil lead.  Glengad started the second half well and John G McLaughlin just failed to connect with a James McKinney cross. They got a goal back on 63 minutes when Seamus Doherty scored with a spectacular overhead kick from six yards. But with the home side pushing the visitors broke and added a fourth goal with Morrow s cross converted by Aaron McGurk from ten yards.


Buncrana Hearts                3                     

Aileach FC                            0

The Hearts blitzed the visitors in the opening period with Sean Mullan firing narrowly wide on 7 minutes . On 15 minutes Mullan then cut  in from the left along the byeline but saw his effort tipped onto the post by David McGeady in the Aileach goal. It was no surprise when they took the lead a few minutes later after John Timlin and Mullan combined to set up Matthew Brown who fired low past McGeady from sixteen yards.     Aileach had a lot of possession but  failed to create any clear chances as the half ended. The pattern continued after the break and Buncrana were first to threaten but Mullan  fired over when well placed. Aileach replied and a long range Shane McMonagle effort  failed to trouble Rory Kelly in the Hearts goal. They spurned their best chance on 55 minutes after a corner fell to Mark McElhinney but from six yards he blazed over. Buncrana then increased their lead on 76 minutes after Christy Mckinley broke on the right and his first time cross was met by a superb glancing header from Mullan. They  added a third on the stroke of full time  after Brown went past a couple of defenders before finishing superblywith the outside of the foot.



Cockhill Celtic Yths                        0

Greencastle FC                               4

Greencastle FC claimed the points, in this reversed fixture, at the Charlie O’Donnell Sports Grounds earlier this afternoon. The game was played in a heavy drizzle all afternoon but the early exchanges was fairly even. Cockhill had the ball in the net through Darragh McDermott on 16 minutes but the goal was ruled out for a marginal offside. On 22 minutes Nigel McMonagle had the ball in the Cockhill net tapping home from 6 yards out but again the offside was given against the pass from Brendan Moore. Greencastle opened the scoring on 35 minutes when, after a Michael Henry corner from the left was headed clear by Odhran O’Brien Daly only for the ball to fall to Moore on the edge of the area and after he shifted to his right foot he shot through a crowded area giving  Eoin Colhoun no chance as he dived to his left. Cockhill forced a succession of corners towards the end of the first period but the visiting pairing of Michael Barr and DJ Cavanan dealt with anting that dropped in the six yards box. Garbhan Friel had an effort saved low to his right by Conor Brown on 42 minutes that the keeper gathered with ease .Then on the stroke of halftime Eoin McLaughlin let fly from the edge of the area but Brown was on hand to tip the ball over the bar. Greencastle went  two up on 55 minutes when Nigel McMonagle ran through on goal from the half way rounded the advancing Colhoun to slam the ball home from six yards. Cockhill tried hard to get going but found possession hard to come by. Greencastle hit Cockhill with two quick goals on 65 and 68 minutes to effectively finish the game as a contest. Moore got this second of the game on 65 minutes when he advanced down the right channel to latch onto a pass from Ciaran Diver and after beating his man shot right footed pass Colhoun at his near post. Moore was provider for the Greencastle fourth when a great run down the right resulted with a fine delivery into the area for James Henry to prod the ball home from five yards out giving Colhoun no chance. Eoin Deery had an effort, for Cockhill, well saved by Brown on 83 minutes as they tried to get some consolation from the game but it wasn’t to be.



Strand Hotel First  Division

Aileach Res                          2

Greencastle Youths          4

The visitors started this game at a high tempo with Chrsity Hegarty denied by a fine Tom Doherty tackle, Kyle Harkin firing wide and  Ronan Doherty latching onto a poor back pass but firing over the bar.  Doherty then opened the coring midway through the half when he fired home after his initial header had been well parried by Sean McGuinness in the home goal. Aileach almost levelled immediately when Stephen & Anthony Doherty combined to set up Shane Bradley but his effort crashed off the crossbar. But Greencastle increased their lead on the stroke of half time  with a quick counter attack ending with Harkin firing a superb effort to the top corner. They added a third three  minutes into the second period when a Tony McClenaghan  header from a corner fell perfectly for Hegarty to sidefoot home. They suffered a blow then when Josh Lafferty was red carded  and almost immediately Aileach got a goal back. A quick free found Damien Barr who floated in a cross for Stephen Doherty to loop a header over Evan Davenport. When Anthony Doherty then raced through the middle Davenport advanced to clear but the ball fell to Barr whose  long range effort bounced back off the crossbar. Greencastle made the most of this let off with Doherty advancing on the right and crossing for Hegarty  to sidefoot home and make it four one. Aileach kept going and got a consolation after  Stephen Doherty cut in from the left and slipped the ball to Anthony Doherty to slide it past Davenport.

Carn FC                                 1                     

Redcastle United               0

This  was  a close hard fought encounter at St Patricks Park with defences on top  for the opening half an hour. But the home side struck for the crucial goal on 36 minutes after Lorcan Bradley fed Kyran Cantwell to slip the ball low past the advancing Michael McCole from the edge of the area. Redcastle hit back and on the stroke of half time Shaun Curran was denied by a superb save from Ben Miller low to his right. A midfield battle ensued after the break  until the home side threatened on 70 minutes. Cade Cooke broke clear of the visitors defence  but was denied by a good save from McCole.  McCole was on hand again to smother well at the feet of Darragh Deery as he bore down on goal. In the closing stages Redcastle almost snatched a point after the home defence failed to clear a corner and Darragh McConway turned and saw his close rnage effort crash off the post.

Dunree United                    4

Buncrana Res                      1

The visitors began well and Eoin McNamee had a cross shot well tipped over the bar by Adam Harrigan in the Dunree goal. Dunree responded and Mark Moran fired wide from distance before they opened the scoring on 11 minutes. Bernie Doherty pounced on a loose ball and crossed to the back post for Moran to slot home. They went close again when Thomas Mulhern dribbled through the  hearts defence but failed to find the finish. Buncrana were dangerous on the break and Jack Soal was denied by Harrigan in the 35th minute. At the other end Mulhern fired wide from eight yards before Doherty was denied by a superb Oran McBride save. They did increase their lead when Dermot Graham fired a superb left  footed effort past McBride from outside the area. The visitors were unlucky then after a quick free kick released Soal but his effort came back off the crossbar. Dunree then added a third goal before the break after a short corner routine ended with Graham heading home his second of the game. The home side began the second period well and Adam Barrett just failed to connect after great footwork from Moran. Liam Baldrick then had  a snapshot superbly turned round the post by McBride but from the corner Baldrick headed home to make it four nil. Buncrana to their credit kept battling and got a consolation when from a corner Cillien Downey headed past Harrigan. Dunree had the final chance of the game when Moran broke through the Buncrana rearguard but was denied by a brilliant double save from McBride.


QPS                                        8         

Gleneely Colts                    2

The point started on fire and opened the scoring in the first minute after Conor Barrow converted a Josh Boyle cross from close range. They then added a second after good work from Jack McClean saw Reece McGilloway slot home. The colts rallied and a superb Christopher McDaid twenty five yards effort flew past Conor O Neill to reduce the deficit. McDaid then equalised midway through the half  with a similar strike giving O Neill no chance. But the home side regained the lead when the visitors failed to clear allowing Boyle to shoot past Mark Smith from close range. On the stroke of half time McClean added number four with a calm finish. The  home side kicked on after the break when  Barrow converted a Sean McColgan cross  to make it five two. Barrow then added further goals on 68 and 75 minutes with the first coming from the penalty spot to complete a four goal personal tally. Gleneelys best chance of the second half fell to McDaid whose well struck shot was superbly saved by O Neill. Then in the 85th minute Ross  Nicholas completed the scoring to give the home side a comprehensive win.

Inishowen Engineering Division Two   

Cockhill Res                         7                    

QPS Youth                           0

Cockhill started the match on the front foot but Lee McColgan in nets for the visitors produced a number of very good saves early on to deny Cockhill the opening goal. Cockhill finally made the breakthrough on the half hour. Kieran McIlroy with a fine cut back for Kevin McDaid who beat Lee McColgan with a great strike from just outside the box, going in off the far post.It was two nil shortly after, this time Killian O’Rourke picked out Paul Duffy with a defence splitting pass and Duffy kept his composure to slot home low past Lee McColgan.Just before half time Cockhill made it three.  Some great play down the left got Connor McDaid in behind who fired a great cross across the box and Killian O’Rourke was on hand to fire home with a cracking volley from 12 yards. After the break Cockhill continued to press and Luke Bradley made it 4, getting on the end of a Paul Duffy cross to fire home from 6 yards giving Lee McColgan no chance. Paul Duffy got his second of the match on the hour mark, linking up well with Kieran McIlroy and his powerful first time effort found its way over the line despite Lee McColgan getting a good hand to it. Kieran McIlroy turned provider again, setting up Kevin McDaid for his second of the match, striking it first time in to the top corner past Lee McColgan from 25 yards. Connor McDaid completed the scoring confidently striking home a late penalty after Paul Duffy was fouled in the box.


Aileach Youths                   2         

Carn Res                               3

Aileach  got a dream start when Dillon McGrory  played a superb through ball to Kieran Bradley who dinked it over the advancing Daniel McDaid. They made it two nil after Kevin Boyle raced onto a Daithi Grant through ball to round McDaid and slot home. Carn responded well and Cormac McLaughlin fired over from twenty yards before Conor McLaughlin  rattled the crossbar with another good effort. They got a goal back just before the interval after Dillon  Cooke headed across goal following a corner for Chris Doherty  to slot home. After an even opening to the second half the visitors got back on terms on the hour mark after Doherty scored with a superb header to the top corner past Dylan Clarke from Cooke s cross. A mix up in the home defence allowed Cooke  to slot low under Clarke from ten yards to send Carn three two up. Aileachs Kieran Bradley had two good chances late in the game blasting Kevin Boyle s cross over the bar before failing to capitalise on a defensive error .

Rasheney FC                        7                                 

Rasheney Res                     0

This local derby started with the first team on the front foot and David McLaughlin under pressure from a defender saw his effort saved by Fergal Diver in the RESERVES  goal. At the other end an Aiden Hirrell driven cross was superbly gathered by the Sean Friel. Rasheney FC took control then with McLaughlin firing over when well placed before he opened the scoring on 19minutes. A powerful driven Declan McLaughlin effort was well parried by Diver but David McLaughlin was first to react to slot home. The RESERVES replied and Brendan Grant had one effort fly over before being denied by Friel from a tight angle.          The first team then increased their lead on 38 minutes after David McLaughlin went past two defenders before slotting low to the corner from the edge of the area. McLaughlin then had a shot on the  run over the bar before Conor McDaid had a low shot turned round the  post by Diver as the half ended. Rasheney s first team took over in the second half and increased their lead when Damien Friel hooked the ball home after  Diver had saved well from Long. The goal of the game arrived on 51 minutes after  Long cut inside  and from the right and unleashed a brilliant left footed strike to the far top corner with his left foot. John McLaughlin then fired home the  fifth  from twenty yards before a defensive error allowed Tommy Doherty to race clear and finish well. They completed the scoring when Doherty got his second of the game sweeping home a low cross from eight yards. The RESERVES were denied a late consolation after substitute Philip Harkin saw his effort  go just past the angle of the post and bar.

Moville Res              2         

Culdaff Res              1

The home side started well and Michael McCarron had an early effort well saved by Adam McGonigle before Andrew Doherty had a close range effort cleared off the line by JJ Doherty. Cu daff responded and Niall Mclaughlin headed over when well placed before seeing a looping header drop just over the bar. McLaughlin then picked up an injury and was replaced by Michael Coyle who had an effort well saved by Stephen Teles before the break.  Moville started the second half well and Andrew Doherty was denied again by Mc Gonigle before they opened the scoring on 65 minutes. A Ronan McCarron free kick deceived all defenders and sailed into the net. Culdaff responded well and JJ Doherty  had a well struck  effort saved by Teles at full stretch. They got back on terms when Darragh McCormick  collected the ball on the left , cut inside and curled a superb low  effort inside Teles  left hand post from the edge of the area. Both teams were reduced to ten men then after an altercation when McCormick and Pearse Doherty received red cards.  Moville regained the lead then in the 82nd minute after Andrew Doherty controlled a long ball and slotted low past the advancing McGonigle. Culdaff tried to respond and Coyle twice fired narrowly wide with half chances as the home side claimed the points.

Carrowmena FC                 1         

Illies Res                               4

The visitors started on the offensive with the experienced Paddy Doherty pulling the strings in midfield. They duly opened the scoring on 14 minutes after  Doherty released Nathan McLaughlin on the right and his cross was swept home by Oran Doherty from eight yards past Michael Noone. The home side battled well and got back on terms on 41 minutes after good work by Sean McGranaghan and Gerard Gill saw Caolan Mullarkey’s low cross met first time by Jude Harkin whose effort from twelve yards eluded Graham Doherty in the Illies goal. The visitors regained the lead on 50 minutes when  Liam O Connor released Mc Laughlin who fed the experienced Paddy Doherty to lob Noone from fourteen yards.They added a third goal on the hour mark with Oran Doherty converting  a  penalty awarded  after he had been pulled back inside the area. Illies scored their fourth when  a defensive clearance fell to Oran Doherty whose driven cross came off a defender past the stranded Noone.


Glengad Res                        3         

Sea Rovers                           1

After an even opening period the home side took the lead on 18minutes when  Paul McGonagles corner was headed  home by Calvin White past Michael McLaughlin. Rovers responded with a Daniel Gallagher effort turned round the post by Patrick McLaughlin before Andrew Gallagher and Matthew Harley both saw shots saved by McLaughlin. On the restart Glengad had the first chance when Matthew Mooney got in behind the rovers defence but was denied  by a last ditch tackle. They went two nil ahead on the hour mark after PJ McDaid split the rovers defence for Caolan McColgan to race clear and shoot low past McLaughlin from fifteen yards.  Rovers suffered a further blow when they were reduced to ten man  before Glengad made it three nil on 79 minutes after Jamie McDevitt released McDaid and he made no mistake with a fine finish. Rovers got a consolation when  Harley threaded a pass into  the path of Conor Kelly and he fired low to the corner.