Match Reports Sunday 11th March

Inishowen Football League  2017-18

11th March  2018

Knockalla Caravans Senior Cup ¼ Finals 

Greencastle FC                  2

Bonagee United                1

Greencastle started well and on 2 minutes Christy Hegarty fed Nigel McMonagle but his effort was deflected behind.

From the corner the ball broke to Jamie McCormick who fired over from twenty yards. Bonagee then took the lead when they were awarded a penalty after a foul in the area and Dean Larkin despatched the ball low to the bottom right hand corner past Dillon Doherty. Minutes later another snapshot from Larkin was well saved by Doherty. Greencastle replied forcing four corners in a row but failed to trouble Kieran Duffin in the visitors goal. On 29 minutes Stephen Grant beat a defender and found McCormick who fired just wide from the edge of the area. Grant again cut in from the right hand side but his effort was  well saved by Duffin. Bonagee broke and a deep cross was headed over by Kevin Barr. At the other end a twenty five yards free from Shaun Doherty sailed just over the left hand post before another free from Doherty was well gathered by Duffin just before the interval. Greencastle started the second half well  and McMonagle was denied in the area by a Mark Harkin tackle before Christy Hegarty then turned well and fired over the bar. Greencastle continued to press and Hegarty headed McCormicks cross just wide before a McCormick free came off the wall to Gavin Harkin who fired the rebound over the bar. The home side got back on terms when Stephen Grant cut inside and curled a  sweet left footed effort to the bottom corner from twenty two yards. Midway through the half they took the lead when Sean Doherty converted a retaken penalty after McMonagle had been upended. Bonagee replied with Barr seeing his effort well saved by Doherty. Greencastle broke and when Hegarty won possession he fed McMonagle but his effort crashed off the post. Hegarty then broke on the left and fed the overlapping David Henry but his effort was deflected wide and from the corner Hegarty headed wide.  Greencastle continued to look dangerous with Grant finding McMonagle who fired over the top. Bonagee pushed forward in the closing minutes but failed to trouble Doherty  in the home goal  as the home side advance to the semi finals.

Glengad United                 1    Glengad win 4-3 on penalties.

Buncrana  Hearts              1

The home side had the first chance on 11 minutes when Stephen Mclaughlin crossed for James McKinney whose high effort was brilliantly turned round the post by Seamus Houghton. On 20 minutes the visitors replied with Brendan Halpin finding Kieran McDaid but he glanced a header wide when well placed.  On the half hour McLaughlin broke on the right and cut inside and unleashed an effort which again Houghton saved superbly. McLaughlin then ran at the visitors defence and firing in a powerful low effort which Hughton again turned round the post at full stretch. Buncrana broek the deadlock on 65 minutes after excellent work by McDaid saw his brilliant cross fired to the net from six yards by Stephen McHugh. Glengad had a great chance when a ball from Jason Doherty found Adam Byrne whose powerful header came off the base of the post. Glengad kept pushing and on 81 minutes a McLauglin corner found John G McLaughlin who headed just wide. Glengad equalised on 89 minutes when another McLaughlin corner found John Gerard McLaughlin who headed to the bottom corner from six yards. The home side had the only chance of the first half when Stephen McLaughlin burst through the visitors defence  but fired narrowly over the bar. There were no chances in the second period and so it went to the penalty shootout.

Jackie Crossan Premier Division        

QPS                            2

Culdaff FC                3

Culdaff continued their good form and looked to have the points secured when they led three nil but as in previous games they conceded two late goals to leave it a nervous finish. The visitors opened the scoring on 11 minutes when Eugene McLaughlin collected a poor clearance and drilled low to the bottom corner from sixteen yards.The home side replied and when Conor Barrows effort rebounded to James McCloskey his effort was well held by Daniel Mullarkey. Before the break a Brian McColgan free was also held by Mullarkey. Culdaff upped the tempo on the restart and Paul McLaughlin doubled their lead when he despatched a fine twenty five yards effort low into the bottom corner past Lynch in the home goal. When Lynch punched a cross clear Eugene McLaughlin headed the ball over the stranded keeper and into the net to make it three nil. But the point rallied and when Sean McCabe threaded a ball through to Stephen Harley he fired past the advancing Mullakey to reduce the deficit. On 84 minutes McCabe laid the ball off inside the area to Michael Nicholas  to fire home from ten yards. But the visitors saw the game out to clinch another three points.

Aileach FC                3

Carn FC                     1

Aileach took lead in the first minute when Gavin Doherty shot from the edge of box was saved by the Kyle Dougal but the ball deflected off an unfortunate defender into the net.  On ten minutes Aileach almost doubled there lead when Caoimhghin McFeely shot over the bar from twenty yards. On  twenty minutes, Darren McMonagle came close when Aileach broke on the counter attack with McMonagle’s shot just past the post.  Carn’s first chance arrived on the half hour when Cade Cooke broke down the right and his cross was headed wide by Shane Doherty from ten yards.  Aileach came close again after Keith McColgan released Darren McMonagle and his shot from the edge of the box struck the post and went wide.  Darren McMonagle got free down the left and placed a cross on the head of Gavin Doherty who headed home from ten yards in the 44 minute.  Carn pulled a goal back right on half time when a defensive mix-up let Shane Doherty through on goal and he placed his effort  into the bottom corner.  Straight from the kick off in the second half, Keith McColgan made progress down the left and crossed to Darren McMonagle who shot was saved by Dougal in the Carn goal.  Ten minutes later the same two combined with McMonagle’s cross narrowly headed over by McColgan at the far post.  On the hour, Brandon Browne had a cross cum shot that Devlin in the home goal had to tip over the bar.  Aileach extended their lead on 65 minutes when following a goalmouth scramble following a Dermot Doherty corner the ball broke to Gavin Doherty who steered the ball through the crowd into the net.  On 70 minutes, good Aileach build up play featuring Thomas McMackin, Gavin Doherty & Darren McMonagle freed Ronan Coyle whose shot was well saved by Dougal from inside the box.  Cade Cookealmost pulled one back with ten minutes to go when he cut inside and shot just past the post.  The game fizzled out as at contest after this with Aileach content to retain possession.

Strand Hotel First Division  2pm

Redcastle United              3

Buncrana Res                     0 ​​​​​

Redcastle had the bulk of possession in the early stages without out testing O Doherty in the Buncrana goal. Their best chances in the opening period came through an Odie Mc Colgan effort that cleared the bar and an Aaron Nash shot from distance that was easily held by O Doherty. Redcastle eventually went ahead on 40 minutes when Seamus Doherty’s header from a Conor McNamee corner rebounded of the crossbar and Mc Colgan was on hand to head home from close range. The home side increased their lead just before the break when Nash’s cutback was drilled to the net , between O Doherty and his right hand post by Mc Colgan. Redcastle began the second period on the front foot and made it three nil when McNamee’s cross from the right was side footed home from six yards by Nash. Buncrana continued to compete but couldn’t fashion a shot on target throughout the ninety minutes. The last chance of note fell to Redcastle , through Nash when his curling effort from twenty yards rebounded to safely via the right hand post.

Clonmany Res        3

Rasheney   FC         1

In a surprise result Clonmany avenged an earlier defeat at the hands of their  near neighbours. On 15 minutes the visitors matthew Mclaughlin gained possession inside the area but  could not get a shot away. At the other end a corner found David McGonigle but unmarked he headed just over. Midway through the half a Brendan Doherty  free was gathered by  Liam McGonigle in the home goal. Clonmany countered  and when Nathan McKinney crossed Jake Harkin headed just wide. At the start of the second half  the home sides Eoin Mclaughlin fed Pearse McCarron but his effort was saved by Friel. McCarron then found himself in space and advanced to drill a superb effort to the bottom corner from the edge of the area.  Midway through the half the home side lost possession allowing Damien Friel break into the home area and fired low past McGonigle from fifteen yards to equalise. Clonmany replied and when Gavin McDaid fed Conor Doherty he failed to hit the target with the goal at his mercy. At the other end McGonigle made a good save to deny substitute Jack McLaughlin. On 81 minutes a Matthew Brennan cross was collected by Conor Doherty  who crossed for McCarron who powered a brilliant header low into the corner from six yards. Minutes later they added a third goal when McKinney advanced and from a tight angle drove the ball past Friel and into the far corner.

Cockhill Youths                  3

Moville Celtic                     2

This game was reversed to Moville and while Moville started the better it was the visitors who threatened first on 9 minutes after a  Mark McDaid had an effort deflected behind for a corner. From the corner Jarlith Herrity rose high but headed inches wide. Moville replied with Kyle Harkin getting on the end of an Emmet McCauley corner but he failed to hit the target with a free header. Moville continued to press and Conor Doherty went close  with a sharp turn and shot from inside the area. They took the lead on 27 minutes when in a two versus one break Michael McNaught  crossed for Norbert Indyka to a lot past Declan Caldwell. Cockhill replied with Jack McDaid blazing over when well placed. At the other end Kevin McDermott hit a fine effort which just cleared the angle of the post and bar. Cockhill had the final chance of the half on the stroke of half time when             Christopher Duffy fired over from the angle of the area.  McNaught headed the home side into a two nil lead on 47 minutes but Cockhill replied instantly when Adam McLaughlin’s scuffed effort fell to Mark McDaid to fire home from ten yards. On 68 minutes Sean Donaghey converted a penalty awarded after Duffy was upended in the area.  Moville pressed and Indyka raced clear on goal but under pressure fired over from twenty five yards. Cockhill struck for the winner on 85 minutes when Keegan Doherty fed Duffy whose cross found McLaughlin but his shot was saved by Ryan Coyle and the rebound fell to McDaid to slot home. Moville threw men forward but failed to trouble the Cockhill defence.

Inishowen Engineering Division Two    A       

Moville Res             4

Cockhill Res             1

In the 5th minute an error in the home defence allowed Mark Gillespie to fire low past Puaric Carey-Doherty from close range to give the visitors the lead . The home side replied with Pearse Doherty crossing for Michael Grimley to head over at the back post just before the interval. Moville dominated the second period and  on 52 minutes Doherty cut in and saw his effort saved by Ryan Fitzpatrick. Moville continued to press and Ryan McColagn saw his effort crash off the bar before on the hour Adam Harkin fired wide from ten yards when well placed. Minutes later Conor Lafferty also failed to hit the target. Moville levelled the game on 68 minutes after Doherty cut inside from the right and fired past Fitzpatrick from fifteen yards. They then took the lead minutes later after Noel Doherty despatched a twenty yards effort to the bottom corner. More pressure wnded with Conor Lafferty getting on the end of a McColgan cross to sidefoot home from eight yards. Lafferty then released Harkin who raced clear  and lobbed the advancing keeper.

Culdaff   Res                      1

Redcastle Res                    3

After their cup clash last week the visitors were eager to exact their revenge for that defeat. They had the first chance when Terry McColgan advanced to the byeline and put in a superb cross across the face of goal but there were no takers. Culdaff responded midway through the half when Declan Noone headed over from a corner. Before the break the home side had another chance after Jack O Brien fed Martin Keddy but he scuffed his effort when well placed as the half ended scoreless. After a close opening to the second half the visitors took the lead on 65 minutes when Raymond Hoy advanced on the right and played a one two with Alan Clarke before finishing low to the corner from twelve yards. They increased their lead minutes later when Hoy went down the left and crossed for Kieran Doherty to   finish high past Martin McLaughlin at the back post. Culdaff replied with a long ball from Michael McFadden released jack O Brien who just failed to connect. The home side reduced the deficit when a superb through ball from Liam Doherty found Aiden Cunningham who finished low past Mark Doherty. O’Brien then had a good chance but the ball got tangled up in his feet while Noone went close with a header. Redcastle sealed the win with a superb diving header from McColgan after a corner.

Aileach Youths                   2

Glengad Res                        4

The opening exchanges were pretty even with both defenses coping with the threat of each others attack.  On 15 minutes Glengad took the lead when a long punt up the field by Christopher McLaughlin was flicked on by Cathal Doherty into the path of Gary Kelly who slotted past Clarke in the home goal.  Glengad extended there lead with two quick fire goals in the next ten minutes, firstly PJ McDaid forced home a corner following a goalmouth melee then Cathal Doherty volleyed home from a free kick from ten yards. Aileach got a goal back five minutes before half time after a Glengad defender was adjudged to have handled in the box.  Daidibh Grant fired the penalty into the top corner beyond Michael McLaughlin in the Glengad goal. Aileach started the second half more aggressively and put Glengad on the back foot for much of the half.  On the hour McLaughlin made a couple of fantastic saves to keep Aileach at bay, firstly Joe Johnston broke into the box where McLaughlin saved low to his left and then he got a hand to the follow up by Benny Hegarty then  the ball then ricocheted to Patrick Curran whose shot was blocked by a defender.  On the hour it was Daidibh Grants turn to fire goalwards from twenty five  yards with his shot just over the bar.  Again McLaughlin came to Glengad’s rescue with another double save, firstly Killian O’Rourke tried to lift the ball over the onrushing keeper and then he saved the follow up by Hegarty.  Patrick Curran almost scored with a bizzare goal when his through ball ran through the legs of McLaughlin and trickled a foot wide of the post.  Aileach did reduce the arrears with ten minutes to go when a long through ball by Gregory Doherty found Killian O’Rourke who beat his man and fired into the top corner from a tight angle.  Aileach pushed hard for an equaliser but got caught on the break when PJ McDaid raced down the right and squared for Cathal Doherty to slot home from ten yards to wrap up the game for Glengad.

Inishowen Engineering Division Two    B                

Carrowmena  FC                0

Dunree Res                         0

The home side had the first chance  when Oran McDermott sliced wide when the ball broke to him at the edge of the area. Midway through the half Dunree replied with a long range Tommy Doherty effort flashing just wide. On the half hour Dunree were awarded a penalty for handball but Eamon Fullerton blazed high and wide. Carrowmena then had a good chance on the hour when McDermott fed Samuel Bredin but he fired wide from six yards. Dunree responded with Bryce Fullerton feeding Peter O Neill but keeper Michael Noone smothered well at his feet.  The final chance came on 86 minutes fell to the home side when a Christy McGeoghaghan header from a corner crashed off the bar.

Rasheney Res                     1

Illies Res                              2

On 4 minutes David McLaughlin broke on the left for the home side and his low cross found  Nathan McConalogue but his low effort was saved by Kevin Gallagher. Illies replied with a Caolan Whoriskey effort held by Eamon Reidy. On 29 minutes Rasheney broke the deadlock after Liam Barkley released McLaughlin and he hammered high past Gallagher from an acute angle. At the other end a dipping effort by Whoriskey was palmed into the air and gathered by Reidy. They equalised on 37 minutes when Dominick Coyle fed  Whoriskey on the edge of the area and he fired low to the bottom corner.      Illies started the second period well with Brendan Grant laying the ball off to Whoriskey who fired just over from twenty yards before Joe Mc Laughlin headed wide from a corner. Illies then took the lead on 55  minutes when Shane Devlin curled a twenty five yards effort past replacement keeper Alan Doherty. Midway through the half Rasheney replied when McLaughlin’s cross found Reidy who slammed wide when well placed. Illies Patrick O Connor then had a shot well saved by Doherty before at the other end Mclaughlin fed Charlie Gibbons whose tame effort was saved by Gallagher. Illies finished the game strongly with Shane Devlin seeing two late efforts  both held by Doherty.

Greencastle Res                4

Carn Res                               1

After an even opening period Greencastle forced a couple of corners from which Danny Murphy fired one effort over the bar. Conor Gillen then beat two men but also fired over the bar. Carn replied and Conor Doherty fired inches wide from twenty yards. On 35 minutes a Gavin Rowan free found Shaun Cavanagh but his header was well saved by Daniel McCallion. Then a Jude Harkin left footed free kick found Murphy but his header crashed off the bar. Carn responded with a Michael McDermott free which was well turned round the post by Derek McGeoghaghan. The last chance of the half fell to Harkin but he fired wide. In the opening minute of the second period Greencastle were awarded a penalty after Gillen was upended and Rowan duly despatched the spot kick to the  bottom corner. A minute later Harkin’s corner found Murphy who slotted home from six yards to make it two nil. They then made it three nil when Gillen crossed for Murphy to meet the ball on the half volley from ten  yards and give McCallion no chance. Carn tried to get back into it but Conor Doherty fired over from distance while Tiernan Coyne had an effort well saved by McGeoghaghan. Greencastle increased their lead on 70 minutes when Rowan split the home defence and Murphy chipped the advancing McCallion from twenty yards. Tom Heuston then fed Conor Gillen who beat a man but fired wide . Carn broke with Christopher Diver seeing a long range effort gathered by McGeoghaghan. They did get a consolation  when Dillon Cooke raced onto a long ball to drill low past the advancing McGeoghaghan.