Match Reports Sunday 11th December

Sunday 11th December   

Donegal Signs Challenge Cup 

Cockhill Youths 4

Dunree United 0

Played in perfect conditions, Cockhill dominated possession in the first half but found Dunree in resolute mood. The home side had the first chance on 10 minutes when Eoin McLaughlin was played through.

His touch past the advancing keeper sent him wide and his shot found the side netting. Dunree’s first chance came shortly after when their first foray forward win them a free kick in a dangerous area but Thomas Mulhern’s effort was just wide. The home side took the lead on 19mins when Rian Gallagher followed up last week’s goal with another, this time a dipping strike from the edge of the D. This goal settled Cockhill and they doubled their lead when Paul Duffy latched onto an Oisin Crawford pass in the inside right channel and rifled past Adam Harrigan.

It was three nil on 39 minutes when Connor McDaid gained possession at the edge of the centre circle before advancing and firing to the top corner. There was an even opening to the second half before Cockhill added a fourth on 59mins. A defence splitting pass from Kyle Barrett found Connor McDaid’s run from left back. When he was fouled in the box, Darragh McDermott dispatched the spot kick with aplomb. The rest of the game was punctuated with stoppages and substitutions with the nearest Dunree came to a consolation being a Daniel McLaughlin shot which flew narrowly over.


Glengad United 1

Illies Celtic 2 AET 

This all premier division clash at the Crua in dry calm but cold  conditions saw very little goalmouth action in the opening half.The first chance arrived on 20 minutes to the homeside after John G McLaughlin fired a half volley wide following a corner. Illies responded and when Dominic Doherty fed Liam Doherty but his effort from distance was gathered by Ciaran Gallagher. The final chance fell to the home side as well with Terence Dohertys effort also from distance saved by Johnathan Noone. Illies had the first chance of the second half when Adrian Donaghey Doherty crossed for Brendan Doherty but he fired wide from twelve yards. Glengad then broke the deadlock midway through the half after good interlink between Fergal and Owen Doherty saw the latters cross was superbly volleyed  low to the corner by Joe Doherty from the edge of the area. But Illies forced extra time in the last minute when Paul Doherty cooly converted  a penalty after Liam Grant had been upended. The defining moment of the game then came  with two minutes remaining in extra time when Liam Grant raced onto Dominic Dohertys ball over the top and slid the ball past the advancing Gallagher.

Redcastle United 1

Aileach FC 4

The premier division side  as expected took the game to the home side but had to wait until midway through the half to open the scoring  when Darren McMonagle fired  a low twenty  yards effort past Michael McCole. They added another minutes later when Gareth McGlynn advanced on the right and crossed  for Michael McElroy to head home. When the home defence failed to clear a corner the ball fell nicely for Thomas McMonagle to slam home the third. The visitors added  a fourth then on 51 minutes when McGlynn broke on the right and picked out Gavin Doherty on the edge of the area whose effort took a deflection on its way past McCole. Redcastle replied just after the hour when a Jack McConalogue cross was headed just over by Alan Clarke. The home side tried hard in the closing stages but the visitors comfortably saw the game out to advance to the quarter finals.

Clonmany Shamrocks 1

Carn FC 4

First division Carn stunned the home side when they took the lead on 7 minutes after Liam McWeeney crossed to Gert Dzerins  who controlled well before drilling low to the  bottom corner past Kevin McLaughlin. Clonmany replied  with Oisin Hession effort from distance blocked by a defender  before Mark Doherty also saw an effort blocked by Luke White. On 21 minutes Aaron Porters free found Pearse McCarron and his driven effort just eluded Shane McCaul at the back post. The pressure told in the 28th minute when a Porter cross saw Brendan Doherty nip in to head home past ben Miller. McCaul then had another header blocked by White before at the other end McWeeneys cross found Kyran Cantwell but he headed just over the bar as the half ended. Clonmany had a couple of chances on the restart with McCarron seeing a header land on the roof of the net before firing a free kick around the wall but just wide. Then on 59 minutes Carn regained the lead  when a Cade Cooke corner found Kyran Cantwell and he slotted home from close range. Cooke then had a surging run into the shamrocks area halted by the legs of the advancing Mclaughlin who blocked well. The visitors increased their lead on70 minutes after a misplaced defensive pass was seized on by Cooke who planted a low effort past the advancing McLaughlin to put Carn three one up. They sealed victory then in the 75th minute with a superb Christy Diver effort to the top corner.

Buncrana Hearts 4

Gleneely Colts 1

Premier division Buncrana proved much too strong for a Gleneely side struggling at the foot of Division One. On 3 minutes a John Timlin cross found Jamie McDaid whose powerful effort was brilliantly tipped over the bar by Oran Raymond. The Hearts opened the scoring on 13 minutes when following a corner the  ball broke out to Adam Curran who crossed for Aaron McDaid to slot home.  They increased their lead midway through the half after Timlins superb cross was not cleared and Christopher McKinley  poked the ball home.Gleneely s only chance of note came before the interval when substitute Manus Doherty unleashed an effort from distance which Eoghan O Doherty gathered. The trend continued in the second period with Timlin beat two defenders but saw his shot tipped around the post. The home side made it three nil on 65 minutes when substitute Sean Mullan  swivelled and fired a stunning twenty five yards effort to the top corner. Gleneely to their credit battled well and got a goal back when Shay Harkin raced onto a ball over the top and poked past the advancing O Doherty. But Mullan then converted a penalty after he had been upended  to seal the victory. The home side had the final chance when a Jamie McDaid effort was again well saved by Raymond who had a fine game overall.


Greencastle FC 4

Moville Celtic 1

This local derby began in typical fashion with Michael Barr heading over from a corner before at the other end Michael McNaught fired into the side netting.Jake Morrow then fired a couple of free kicks narrowly wide before the home side got on top.  Gill unleashed a free kick which flashed just wide before in the 19th minute a Gill  free kick was brilliantly headed to the top corner by Brenan Moore. Moore then had another effort blocked before they doubled their lead on 35 minutes. Moore collected a Ciaran Diver throw in and pulled the ball back from the byeline for Nigel McMonagle to clinically finish from six  yards. Before the break Moore fired wide while a James Henry mazy run ended with his effort being blocked. In the second half  Greencastle increased their lead in the 48th minute when Gerry Gill despatched a twenty three yards free to the top corner.  Another Gill free was then well saved by Taylor Clarke before Odhran Kennedy fired narrowly over. At the other end a McNaught effort was saved by Conor Browne on the break. The visitors then got a goal back after McNaught pulled the ball back to Aaron McGurk to slot home from six yards. Moville were then reduced to ten men after Ben Holly collected a second yellow card. The home side then added a fourth after Kennedy ‘s header from Gills  inswinging corner flew into the top corner.  Moore then had a late effort just over before Ronan  Doherty s dangerous cross was well cleared by Dan Doran.

Inishowen Engineering Division Two    

Cockhill Res 3

Moville Res 2

Early on both teams found it difficult to get any fluency going in their play, with both sides limited to half chances.Midway through the first half it was Moville who struck first. A good run down the left by Michael McCarron, who cut inside the box and from a tight angle slotted the ball in at the near post past Darragh O’Donnell. Just before half time Moville extended their lead. A quick counter attack caught Cockhill out and Declan Lynch showed great composure to finish the move off with a fine strike from twelve  yards. Shortly after the restart Cockhill got themselves back in the match.  Dylan McDaid played a perfect pass in to Liam Bradley who’s first time finish gave Stephen Teles no chance. Cockhill’s tails were up and having passed up a few good chances eventually equalised with 15 minutes to go. Liam Bradley again with the finish after good work by Marc Doherty to set him up. With five minutes to go Cockhill were handed a great chance to complete the comeback when awarded a penalty. Andy McIlhinney took the responsibility and stepped up to send Stephen Tellis the wrong way but dragged his effort wide. In injury time though it was Andy McIlhinney who made amends and sealed a very hard earned comeback win, rising highest at the back post to head home Shane McLaughlin’s cross past Stephen Teles to claim all three points.


Redcastle Res 4

Dunree Res 0

Reveresed to Dunree Neil Moran for the home side had an early effort deflected off a defender onto the bar and cleared away by the Redcastle defence. Redcastle then broke the deadlock on 18minutes when a  deep Shay Sweeney cross found Aiden Lynch who slotted low past Philip Doherty. They added another midway through the half with Mark Farren crossing from the right for Darren Harkin to sidefoot home. Dunree went close on the half hour with Cian Moran finding Oisin mCgettigan who controlled well and hit a superb half volley which was superbly tipped round the post. Before the break Redcastle added a  third goal after a scramble in the penalty area ended with Lynch firing through a crowd of players to the net. Dunree dominated the majority of the second half but failed to break down a well organised defence. Redcastle then caught them on the break in the closing minutes when Farren released Sweeney and although his first effort was blocked by Doherty he slotted home the loose ball.


Rasheeny FC 4

Culdaff Res 0

In a free flowing game the home side had the first chance when Tommy Doherty found David McLaughlin whose effort was well saved by Dermot Callaghan. Culdaff replied and after good footwork from Darragh McCormick he laid the ball off  for Bryan McCandless who fired narrowly wide.Rashenny upped the tempo then and Doherty failed to hit the target  from point blnk range before they opened the scoring in the 22nd minute when Declan McLaughlin collected a clearance and unleashed a powerful low effort to the  bottom corner from twenty five yards.  The visitors spurned a great chance to level things on the half hour after William Hutchinson pounced on a defensive error but fired straight at Damien Friel. Rashenny  then increased their lead with a superb goal from Conor McDaid who cut in from the right and fired an unstoppable effort to the top corner from twenty yards. The home side made it three nil seven minutes after the break when David McLaughlin sent Tommy Doherty clear  to slot lo past Callaghan. They completed the scoring in the 70th minute after Dohertys effort was well parried by Callaghan but substitute Caelum Long applied the finishing touch with his first touch. Callaghan then made a superb late save to deny David McLaughlin.

QPS   Youth 3

Carn Res 3

The home side were in good form coming into this tough encounter against the joint league leaders and created the first opening on 16 minutes. Reece McGilloway ‘s cross from the right found John McCloskey whose header was blocked by Kyle Harkin in the Carn goal but the loose ball fell to McGilloway who drove across goal and wide.A Lee Rutherford free kick then found Oisin McIntyre at the back post but he fired over the bar. Carn responded with Daire Tully breaking clear of the home defence but failing to hit the target when well placed. The home side took the lead in the 31st minute when McCloskey found Daniel McMenamin  to slip the ball low past Harkin from fifteen yards. Harkin then kept the visitors in it when he tipped McGilloways effort around the post at full stretch. But minutes before the break the home side doubled their lead after  McMenamin  fed McCloskey on the edge of the area and he turned smartly before drilling the ball low into the bottom corner. The game looked  over when the home side added a third goal in the 53rd minute when McCloskey robbed a defender and fired across Harkin and in off the post.  McGilloway then almost made it four but Harkin tipped his well struck free round the post.But the visitors rallied and substitute Dayton Cooke fired a free kick just over. They got a goal back in the 75th minute when after a scramble in the area Conor McLaughlin stabbed the ball home from six yards. Cormac McLaughlin went close then when his effort was blocked by home keeper Stephen Slattery who punched the resultant corner clear under pressure. Cooke reduced the deficit to the minimum after he converted a penalty when he had had been upended.The visitors then salvaged a point in the 86th minute after Shay Fallon advanced on the left and crossed for Dermot Doherty to poke home from close range.

Inishowen Engineering Division Two   B

Carrowmena FC 2

Glengad Res 3

In the early stages the home side began well and had two great chances firstly in the 10th minute when Mark McGonigles cross found Paul McGowan who fired just wide from twelve yards. Minutes later  Gerard Gill played a one two with Adam Harkin before seeing his low effort saved by Danny McGonigle. Glengad came more into the game then and took the lead on 31 minutes after Jason Mullarkey released Caolan McColgan to beat the offside trap and fire low past Maurice McGeady from the edge of the area. Carrowmena tried hard forcing a few corners but McGonigle was equal to them as the half ended. Glengad started the second half well and increased their lead on the hour when PJ McDaid cut the ball back for Matthew Mooney to fire low past McGeady from twelve yards. Carrowmena then got a goal back immediately after an inswinging McGowan corner  found Finbar McCallion to slot home at the back post. A lapse in the home defence then allowed  Paul McGonigle to collect possession and feed Mooney  who poked the ball under  McGeady. The home side again rallied and reduced the deficit again from another inswinging McGowan corner which was punched out to  Sean Duffy who fired first time to the net. The home side pushed hard in the closing stages with Niall Curran and McCallion  prominent but the visitors held firm.