Match Reports Sunday 10th September

Inishowen Football League  2017-18

Charlie O Donnell  Memorial Cup

Culdaff FC                              4

Clonmany Shamrocks           3

The holders had to come from two goals down after ten minutes to repeat last years victory  over Clonmany and they will be hoping that history repets itself and they go on to retain the cup. Oisin Hession raced onto Paddy Doherty’s through ball to fire low past Darragh McLaughlin to give the shamrocks an early lead. Then when Gary Doherty headed back across goal Hession was on hand to head home his second of the game minutes later. Culdaff settled and Brian McCandles had a goalbound effort blocked on the line before the same player brilliantly controlled an Aiden Cunningham cross before slamming the ball past Kieran Friel. Clonmany responded and after good build up play Dessie Doherty fired wide when well placed Before the break Eugene Mclaughlin broke into the shamrocks area but his driven effort was blocked by the legs of Friel. Culdaff started the second period well and when Cunninghams driven cross was brilliantly controlled by McCandless his effort was well parried by Friel. Minutes later Paul Mills and Cunningham combined to find McCandless who pulled the ball back for Conor Keddy to fire to the roof of the net and equalise. Eugene Mclaughlin volleyed just wide before Brendan McLaughlin had a low effort saved by Friel.  On 65minutes the home side took the lead after Michael Coyle released McLaughlin on the left and his low cross was superbly steered home by McCandless from twelve yards.When Brendan McLaughlin controlled on his chest and fired a superb effort low past Friel on 75 minutes it looked all over but the visitors eventually rallied. On 78minutes Mark Mclaughlin controlled on the edge of the area but drilled wide when he should have hit the target. In injury time a Michael Devlin cross come shot eluded McLaughlin and dropped in at the back post. But the home side comfortably saw out the game to advance.

Rasheney FC                2

Buncrana Hearts           5      

Played on Thursday night amid wet and windy conditions it was Stephen Parkhouse’s charges who advanced to the next round after overcoming a battling home outfit. The visitors were first to show when Bart Wesolowski ran through on goal only for Sean Friel to make an excellent low claim. Then good trickery from Kieran Mc Daid set up Stephen Mc Hugh but his low effort skimmed the far post. Rasheney took the lead after 14 minutes. A Matthew Mc Laughlin surge down the right wing saw him deliver into the centre where Michael Toland struck a sweet shot beyond Mc Gonigle from the edge of the area. With Mc Daid pulling the strings Buncrana continued to press and created a succession of chances. A Boyle shot was saved by Friel before being cleared; Wesolowski had an angled effort tipped over; Duffy headed over from a corner and two Mc Daid crosses almost yielded an equaliser only for James Cooke to intervene with last ditch clearances. On 39 minutes Mc Fadden delivered a teasing diagonal cross to the back post where Wesolowski was able to hammer to the net for a leveller. At the other end Matthew Oggie set up David Mc Laughlin’s whose low ground shot was claimed by Mc Gonagle. Right on half time Buncrana moved in front when Friel could not hold on to a strong Mc Fadden attempt and Wesolowski was on hand to fire home. Minutes after the interval the home side brought it back to 2 – 2 when Brendan Doherty made ground through the centre to slide home John Grant’s cross at the back post. Then after the visiting defence failed to deal with a long ball Oggie was allowed to advance in on goal but Mc Gonagle just got to the ball first. Buncrana hit the front again when Shane Dillon drove to the net from twelve yards after a corner was cleared out to him and the lead should have been increased but Mc Daid’s downward header was brilliantly stopped by Friel and then when Mc Fadden connected with Timlin’s right wing cross to fire narrowly over with the goal at his mercy. The scoring was complete in the final five minutes when firstly Ryan Curran scored from the spot after a hand ball infringement and then Mc Daid set up substitute Michael Coyle to score. Wesolowski was denied his hat trick at the death when going one on one with Friel but the keeper prevailed.

Glengad United           2

QPS                            1       AET

Played at Maginn Glengad had most of the possession and took the lead on 25 minutes following build up play Michael Byrne and Shane Canning combined well on the edge of the box  with Canning setting up Michel Byrne to score from twelve yards low past Oisin Burke. Glengad dominated and despite  creating a number of chance without testing Oisin Burke in the QPS goal. Glengad rued those earlier missed chances when DJ Canavan scored from a corner on the 88 minutes  to force extra time. Seamus Doherty got the winner four minutes from the end a looping header in over the keeper after good work and cross by Stephen McLaughlin.

Jackie Crossan Premier Division    

Culdaff FC                     7

QPS                               0

Culdaff got their league season off to a resounding success with an emphatic and deserved win over an out of sorts swifts side. The first chance came on 14 minutes after Brendan McLaughlin (Pictured) had a close range effort blocked by David Bell and Conor Keddy’s follow up was deflected over. Minutes later Keddy fed McLaughlin twenty yards out and he curled an effort just wide. After good build up play through the middle by the point Stephen McKendrie flashed an effort inches past the angle of post and crossbar.  Culdaff then broke the deadlock on 25 minutes after brilliant work by Keddy fed Eugene McLaughlin on the left and his pin point cross was slotted home by Michael Coyle. Within minutes a superb Keddy pass into the path of Mclaughlin saw him steer the ball past the advancing Bell to make it two nil at the break. Culdaff started the second period pushing forward and both Keddy and Paul Mclaughlin had efforts drift agonisingly past the post. On 58 minutes Keddy pounced on a poor headed clearance and advanced to the byeline before squaring the ball which was inadvertently diverted into the net by a defender. On 68 minutes it became four nil when Coyle fed McLaughlin whose brilliant turn took him inside a defender before he drilled low inside Bell’s left hand post from sixteen yards. The point tried to rally and Michael Nicholas had a shot saved by Darragh McLaughlin before Conor Barrow had a volley turned behind by McLaughlin. But Culdaff upped the tempo and Coyle headed home a superb Eugene Mclaughlin cross before Keddy found the bottom corner from twenty five yards to make it six nil. They sealed the tie when a Dermot Diver free from half way found  JJ Doherty who powerfully headed home.

Clonmany Shamrocks           0

Buncrana Hearts                   4

This was a disappointing result for the home side but one which the Hearts really needed after last weeks defeat to Aileach. Michael Devlin had an early half chance for the shamrocks but fired straight at Liam McGonigle in the Hearts goal. Buncrana replied and opened the scoring on 6 minutes after Kieran McDaid (Pictured)fed James McGonagle and he crossed for Gerard Boyle to head home. Clonmany tried hard and Jason Devlin had a snapshot saved by McGonigle while at the other end Stephen McHugh fired narrowly over. On the half hour Buncrana made it two nil after a fine solo effort from McDaid and before the break McDaid broke and crossed for Boyle to head home his second of the game to make it three nil at the break. On the restart Jason Devlin fired wide after a good pass from Raymond McDaid while Buncrana responded with Kevin O Loughlin denied by Patrick Harkin in the shamrocks goal.This started a Buncrana period of pressure with Boyle heading over, McDaid firing wide before McDaid beat two defenders and slotted past Harkin to complete the scoring. Clonmany had the final chance when a Paddy Doherty effort was parried by McGonigle with Oisin Hession lifting the rebound over.

Greencastle FC             2

Glengad United           3

With the game in the balance it turned on the stroke of half time when the home side were reduced to ten men after Shaun Doherty was redcarded. Greencastle got off to a dream start in the second minute after a Gerry Gill Pictured on Left) free from wide o the left deceived keeper Mark Smith and landed in the net. But within minutes Glengad were back on terms when Patrick McDermott despatched a penalty pastDylan Doherty after he had been upended. Greencastle were on top after this with Nigel McMonagle firing over, Gill seeing an effort blocked , McMonagle bursting into the area but seeing Smith advance to smother and Gill having a free kick well saved by Smith. On 41 minutes Christy Hegarty then fired just over from the edge of the area. On the stroke of half time Doherty was red carded after attempting to take a quick free he barged into his opponent and referee Moyne showed him a straight red. Greencastle started the second period well and when Hegarty broke into the area Smith advanced to smother well. At the other end Shane Canning had an effort deflected wide and from the corner Stephen McLaughlin broke into the area but Doherty advanced well to smother. Greencastle responded and a Gill cross found Hegarty whose header was brilliantly saved by Smith. Glengad caught the home side on the break on 55 minutes when McLaughlin sped away on the right and pulled the ball back for Adam Byrne (Pictured on Right) to fire low to the corner from sixteen yards. Greencastle tried to hit back and when another Gill delivery was punched out by Smith it fell to Mark Henry but he volleyed wide. Glengad were more dangerous on the break and a Matthew Byrne effort was well saved by Doherty. In another break on 86 minutes Glengad secure the points after Seamus Doherty made ground on the left and squared for Byrne to again drill low to the corner. Greencastle got a consolation on the stroke of full time when McMonagle broke and crossed for Matthew Henry to head home.

Carn FC                         4      

Illies Celtic                    0

Carn started well and on 8 minutes Ronan Doherty found Dion Diver on the right and he beat a defender and crossed but Dermot Doherty headed over. They had another chance on 16 minutes when Declan McGonigle crossed but this time Shane Doherty headed over. Illies replied and Kevin McGonigle  fired narrowly wide. Before the break  Darragh Browne had a long range effort saved by Johnathan Noone. At the other end Kevin McGonigle ‘s attempted lob was tipped over by Greg Doherty as the half ended scoreless. After sustained pressure by the home side Dion Diver fed Dermot Doherty but his effort was saved by Noone. The home side took the lead when Declan McGonigle found Dermot Doherty to fire low past Noone from ten yards. Minutes later a Declan McGonigle corner was stabbed home from close range by Conor Doherty to double their lead. They sealed the tie on 71 minutes when McKinney fed Dioan Diver whose low cross was slotted home by Declan McGonigle from ten yards. Substitute Gert Dzerins released Dion Diver on the stroke of full time and he fired low past Noone from fifteen yards.

Strand Hotel Division One

Rasheney FC       7

Clonmany Res    0

A very youthful Clonmany side were no match for Rasheney in this local derby.The home side went ahead in the 5th minute after a corner saw Matthew McLaughlin lay the ball off for David McLaughlin to drill home from eight yards. Midway through the hakf they made it two nil after a Michael Toland cross was flicked on by David McLaughlin for Matthew McLaughlin (Pictured on Right)

to dIn the second half  Rasheney made it four nil on 51 minutes after good build up by Matthew and David McLaughlin saw the ball laid off to Brendan Doherty to fire low past Kieran Friel from just inside the area. Clonmany responded with a long range Brian Devlin free just over before Nathan McKinney was denied by a last ditch Emyln Doherty tackle. Midway through the half Matthew McLaughlin fired a penalty low to the keepers right after he had been upended. Substiute Conor O Neill then released Matthew Mclaughlin but Friel saved well. Another substitute Charlie Doherty was also denied by Friel but John Grant made it six nil firing in off the underside of the crossbar. They completed the scoring when a long range Damien Friel effort eluded Friel in the Clonmany goal and landed in the net.

Moville Celtic               1

Redcastle Utd               3

Both sides had chances in the opening minute with Jack McConalogue being denied by Ryan Coyle in the Moville goal before Conor Doherty was thwarted by Michael McCole  and Norbert Indyka ‘s effort lacked power to trouble McCole. The home side broke the deadlock on 19 minutes when Conor Doherty stooped to head home a Michael McNaught cross . But from the kick off Redcastle equalised  after Odhran McColgan (Pictured) fired low past Coyle from fifteen yards.  The visitors Aaron Nash broke on the right and when his cross rebounded to him he blazed over before at the other end a Conor Doherty effort was well saved. On 38 minutes a long range free was not gathered by Coyle allowing Jack McConalogue to lift the loose ball over Coyle and into the net. On the stroke of half time Moville s McNaught intercepted a clearance but saw his effort saved. Moville were on top in the opening stages with Indyka firing over before the same player headed over , then Kevin McDermott fired just wide before Finn McLaughlin headed over when well placed. They were unlucky then after a conor Doherty free kick smashed off the crossbar. Redcastle became dangerous on the break with Nash seeing an effort blocked by Coyle before the follow up fell to substitute Brendan Murphy whose effort was also blocked. Nash then saw a cross shot crash off the crossbar with Coyle beaten. On the break Redcastle sealed the points when Dean Curran sidestepped two defenders and unselfishly squared for Nash to slip the ball home. Moville kept trying and Nathan Harkin fired over before Indyka was denied by a fine save from McCole.

Aileach Res                  6

Dunree United             2

The home side took the lead on 12minutes when a Ruari Doherty corner was headed home by Gavin Doherty from six yards. Midway through the half a Kieran McGrory effort crashed off the bar for Bradley to follow up and slot home past Philip Doherty. Then before the break Thomas McMonagle released Gavin Doherty  to fire low past Doherty for a fine finish. Straight from the kick off Dunree ‘s Philip McGuinness unleashed an effort which home keeper Kieran Bradley tipped over the bar. On 52 minutes McGuinness outpaced the home defence to round Bradley and slot home. Minutes later another ball over the top found McGuinness who crossed for Stephen McLaughlin to sidefoot home and reduce the deficit to the minimum. Aileach got another goal from the penalty spot when Gregory Doherty fired to the top corner after Kieran McGrory was upended. Aileach increased their advantage when Doherty completed his hat trick heading home unmarked after a corner. Then Jordan McGeady released Josh McLaughlin who finished superbly from a very acute angle.

Cockhill Youth              2

Sea Rovers                    1

On 5 minutes a Mark McDaid cross found Michael Owen Doherty who fired over from six yards before a Michael Noone cross finds Doherty who again heads over from twelve yards. Darragh McDermott then saw an effort hit the post with Mark Doherty completing the clearance. The pressure told on 18 minutes when Shay McLaughlin beats a defender and squared for Kevin McDaid to shoot low past Glen Watson from the edge of the area. Cockhill increased their lead when Mark McDaid fired high past Watson after being set up by Doherty. Watson then denied Doherty with a superb tip over save. Rovers first chance came on 42 minutes but Mark Doherty’s free went well wide. Rovers came more into the game in the second period with substitute Garvan Doherty firing just over from distance on the hour. The visitors did get a goal back on 63 minutes when  Keelan Doherty intercepted a poor back pass and rounded Declan Caldwell to slot home. On 80 minutes Doherty headed a Jack McDaid cross just over for the home side. Rovers pressed and in the final minute a Mark Doherty deep ball just eluded Gary Doherty

Gleneely Colts              2

Buncrana Res               3

On 3 minutes a Dylan McDaid long ball sent Billy McCann clear on the left but his low effort was well saved by Cathal McNutt in the visitors goal. Buncrana took the lead on 10 minutes after Kevin McColgan crossed for Adam Doherty to head high over Adrian Duffy from ten yards. Gleneely replied with Cory O Brien feeding Nathan McLaughlin but he  fired wide from fifteen yardsand minutes later McDaid saw a free kick drift just over the bar. Buncrana increased their lead on 21 minutes when defensive hesitation allowed Michael Doherty to chip Duffy from twelve yards.  The home side went close when Enda Folan laid off for McCann but he fired over from fifteen yards. On the stroke of half time McDaid had a twenty five yards effort straight at McNutt. On the restart the colts Mclaughlin crossed from the right for O Brien but he blazed over from ten yards before O Brien again fed Folan on the left and e fired straight at McNutt when well placed. On the hour mark McDaid’s free found O’Brien who headed straight at McNutt from close range. They eventually reduced the deficit on 65 minutes when McCann headed home after a McLaughlin corner. Buncrana replied and went close when an Adam Doherty effort was well held by Duffy. The visitors made it three one on 72 minutes fater a Michael Doherty corner was headed home by the unmarked Mark McFadden from ten yards. Gleneely then had another chance but Nathan McLaughlin blazed over from a good position. They did reduce the deficit after a mazy run by O Brien past three men before feeding Mcann to fire to the top corner from fifteen yards. On the stroke of full time a McLaughlin corner just eluded JP McDermott at the back post.


Inishowen Engineering Division Two  

Illies Res              2

Carn Res              0

In wet conditions there were few chances in the  opening half. The home side through Jason Campbell and Brendan Doherty both had half chances but failed to git the target. The best chance of the half fell to the visitors when Conor Doherty was alone on the edge of the area but blazed over as the half ended scoreless. Illies broke the deadlock on the hour mark after a defensive mix up fell to Brendan Doherty who fired low to the corner past Doherty from twelve yards. Carn then had a good chance when Dylan Cooke broke clear but fired at Graham Doherty. They had another chance when Michael McDermott also well placed fired at Doherty. Illies sealed the points when Campbell fed Doherty who laid the ball back to Puaric Doherty whose first effort came off the post and he followed up to slot home the rebound.

Dunree  Res                 3

Culdaff Res                   3

The visitors had the first chance when Gary Smyth broke through the home defence but fired wide when well placed. Dunree responded and opened the scoring when Catha Doherty sent Eamon Fullerton clear and he fired past Callum Doherty. Fullerton got his second of the game when the visitors defence failed to clear a corner allowing Fullerton to drill home from sixteen yards. When James Doherty’s long range free deceived keeper Doherty the game as a contest looked all over. But on  69 minutes Jack O Brien reduced the deficit when he curled a superb free over the wall and into the top corner.  Dunree failed to clear a corner ten minutes later allowing Thomas  O’ Brien to convert from close range and the visitors felt a chance to get something from the game. They pushed forward and in the closing minutes forced a corner  with Niall Mclaughlin rising highest to head home and earn his side a point.

Glengad Res                 2      

Aileach Youths             7

The home side started well with Christopher Doherty unlucky to see an effort crash off the bar before  they took the lead on 15minutes when Gary Kelly latched onto a long clearance to head over the advancing keeper. But Aileach upped the tempo and equalised after Dermot Doherty raced clear and rounded Ronan Lafferty to drill home. On 25 minutes Doherty fired low to the net from inside the area after the home defence failed to clear and two minutes after that after a scramble in the area Benny Hegarty fired low to the corner from sixteen yards. Glengad rallied and a John McDaid cross was headed home by PJ McDaid to reduce the deficit to the minimum. But the visitors hit back and a fine strike from Hegarty to the roof of the net made it four two. Just before the interval a defensive mix up allowed Patrick Curran to race clear and round Lafferty to slot home. The second half was a tamer affair with defences on top for long periods. On the hour mark a long ball fell to Curran who fired low past Lafferty from twelve yards .  They completed the scoring when Aaron Doherty broke from half way to fire past Lafferty from the edge of the area.

Carrowmena  FC                    1

Cockhill Res                           3

Carrowmena were first to show on 12 minutes when Gerard Gill fired a twenty five yards free just wide before Samuel Bredin fired staright at Gary Robinson when well placed. At the other end Adam McLaughlin failed to hit the target after a free broke to him inside the area. Cockhill got on top and Alan Fletcher fired wide from a good position before heading over from a corner and finally Taylor Doherty lifted a rebound high over the bar after home keeper Mark Doherty had parried well. The home side responded and a crossfield James McDermott pass found Bredin but Robinson advanced to smother. Cockhill took the lead on 38 minutes  after a superb Lee Carey through ball released Gary Breslin to fire past Doherty from fifteen yards. The home side had the final chance of the half but Bredin fired straight at Robinson. Carrowmena got back on terms minutes after the resumption when Oran McDermott unleashed a powerful twenty five yard left footed effort which flew into the bottom corner. McDermott then went close again midway through the half  when he fired over from a good position. Cockhill rallied and regained the lead on 84 minutes after an Adam Mclaughlin effort took a wicked deflection and looped over the top of keeper Doherty. With Carrowmena pushing in the closing stages they lost possession allowing Declan Kearney to release Breslin and he again fired low to the corner.

Moville Res                  1

Greencastle  Res         3

The home side started the better and on two occasions Tony Boyce had a  shot at goal but Stephen Henry was equal to the task. Somewhat against the run of play the visitors took the lead on 26minutes when the ball broke kindly inside the area for Ton Heuston to drill low past Pauric Carey-Doherty from seven yards. Moville responded with Adam Harkin seeing a snapshot tipped onto the bar by Henry. Moville equalised on the stroke of half time after Pearse Doherty released Boyce on the left and he evaded two tackles before slotting low  past  Henry. On 50minutes Lee McColgan for the home side had a powerful effort tipped over by Henry. Then on 65 minutes Sean Downey went close for the visitors with a rising effort which just cleared the bar. Greencastle took the lead when a Ronan Doherty effort was well parried by Carey-Doherty but bounce off a defender and into the net. Moville replied and Pearse Doherty ran on to a flick from Graham Doherty but saw his effort crash off the post. Greencastle secured the points when Downey squared the ball over for Doherty to tap home.