Match Reports Sunday 10th September

Inishowen Football League Reports  10th September  

Jackie Crossan Premier Division 

Moville Celtic 1

Illies Celtic 3

On a pleasant Saturday evening in Glencrow, Illies took all three points after a well contested game .After an even start Illies had the first chance of the game, Liam Doherty forcing a good save from Sean McGuinness in the Moville goal.

 Five minutes later Liam Doherty put Illies in front. Moville failed to clear and the ball was fired into the top corner from a tight angle. In the 25th minute Illies doubled their lead, Michael Owen Doherty working hard to win the ball back in the middle before blasting into the top corner from 25yards past McGuinness.

Moville battled hard to get back into the game and were given a chance from the penalty spot after  Oisin Lynch was upended in the box. But  Lee McColgan’s penalty was brilliantly saved by Johnny Noone low to his right hand side .Moville started the second half on the front foot and had the first chance through Andrew McCarron. A loose clearance from the Illies defence fell to McCarron, but he fired just over the bar.

Moville finally got back into the game through McCarron. Oisin Lynch crossing the ball to the back post, it dropped nicely for McCarron to score into the roof of the net from close range. However on 65minutes Illies restored their two goal lead when Michael Owen Doherty pounced on a defensive mistake, rounded the keeper and finished  to the net.

Despite Moville trying to get back into the game, Shane Doherty and Deaglan Bowen stood firm at the back for Illies. Illies had the final chance of the game, Michael Owen Doherty having a shot from distance saved by McGuinness with the follow up from Liam Doherty saved again by McGuinness.


Greencastle FC 0

Buncrana Hearts 2

Buncrana had the first chance of the game when a Shaun Bradley shot from the edge of the box was well gathered by Jason McCallion in the Greencastle goals.At the other end Jamie McCormack played the ball in to Brennan Moore whose first time shot was blocked by a Buncrana defender.With 15 minutes of the half gone Kyle Harkin broke out of the Greencastle half,skipped past a couple of challenges and then had a 25 yard effort tipped round the post by Buncrana keeper Taylor Clarke. Buncrana took the lead shortly after when Shaun Bradley gained possession out on the left wing ,he cut in on to his right foot and whipped in a deep ball to the back post which dipped under the cross bar giving the home keeper no chance.Greencastle came close to equalising  minutes before half time after Shea McLaughlin played the ball out to Jamie McCormack on the right wing who skipped past a challenge,then laid the ball back to Brennan Moore who shot from the edge of the box was pushed on to the post by the Buncrana keepers fingertips and the danger was cleared by a defender .The visitors had the first chance of the second half when Kieran McDaid gained possession just inside the Greencastle box and he twisted and turned and had a powerful shot tipped over the bar by Jason McCallion.20 minutes in to the second half Buncranas Sean McDermott was shown a red card for a challenge on James Henry as he advanced on goal.The greencastle player was also shown a red card by the referee leaving both teams down to ten men.With 15 minutes remaining Buncrana went two nil  up when Christy McKinley burst in to the Greencastle box ,evaded a challenge and drilled home to the bottom right corner giving Jason McCallion no chance.Greencastle pushed to get back in to the game and had a couple of chances with a Jamie McCormack free kick going just over the bar and a Shaun Doherty shot being deflected just wide for a corner but he visitors stood firm to collect the points.


Clonmany Shamrocks 3

Glengad United 0

Clonmany opened brightly and took the lead in the 6th minute when Clonmany right-back Aaron Porter jinked into the box and settled himself to curl in a left foot shot to the bottom right-hand corner of Michael McLaughlin’s goal . The Shamrocks seemed well on top in the early stages and won a flurry of corners with all their pressure but didn’t create any clear-cut scoring opportunities and having weathered the storm Glengad began to hold possession better using John McDaid’s experience to help them break up Clonmany’s play in midfield. Clonmany created a nice move in the 31st minute which began with Liam McGonigle in nets who clipped out a pass to Gareth Bradley on the left who switched play again to Jake Harkin on the right who passed forward to Aaron Porter who in turn squared to Jamie Coyle about 25 yards out but his shot was always rising and posed no danger to the Michael McLaughlin. Clonmany centre-half Jake Harkin strode forward just before half-time and with the Glengad defenders slow to close him down he unleashed a shot from 30 yards out which clipped the top of the Glengad crossbar .Clonmany started the second-half looking to increase their lead and succeeded in the 50th minute after  Aaron Porter swung over a good cross from the right and Jamie Coyle timed his run perfectly to guide in his header from seven yards out past McLaughlin.  Glengad almost pulled one back in the 54th minute when a corner from the right fell invitingly for Caolan McColgan at the front post and he stabbed his shot goalwards only for Clonmany defender Jake Harkin to clear off the line. Clonmany scored their third in the 59th minute when Jason Devlin crossed low to the back-post and Jamie Coyle was on hand to sidefoot home from  eight yards out. Clonmany should have added to the score in the 75th minute when Jake Harkin passed from the right-back position  to Gareth Bradley who squared the ball to Shane McCaul and he fed the ball into space for Jason Devlin to run onto but Michael McLaughlin held onto Jason’s tame shot. Three minutes later Clonmany sub Jake O’Donnell pounced onto a spilled save in the box but was unable to direct his shot on target .Again in the 83rd minute after good work down the left by another Clonmany sub , Morgan Murray who pulled the ball back from the goal-line but  O’Donnell pulled his shot wide of the Glengad goal. Glengad almost pulled one goal back in the 85th minute when Patrick McDermott’s cross into the box found Oran Doherty and his flicked header directed the ball goal-wards only for it to strike the foot of Liam McGonigle’s right-hand post and be hacked to safety.

Glengad United

Carn FC 2

Cockhill Celtic 3

Cockhill started the game off strongly moving the ball from left to right but found it difficult to break down the Carn defence. After 5 minutes Cockhill had the opening chance when Luke Rudden headed wide. Moments later Rudden almost gave Cockhill the lead but his shot on the half turn from the edge of the box cannoned the crossbar. On the half hour  Cockhill were reduced to 10 men when Lee McLaughlin received  two yellow cards in quick succession. Carn saw out the first half after that to go in level at the break. In the second half there was a lift in tempo from both sides. It was Carn who took the lead on 50 minutes when Cade Cooke curled a stunning 25 yard free kick into the top left hand corner of Harry Doherty’s goal. Carns lead was short lived however when an in swinging corner was steered home from the right boot of Jay Bradley from close range to make it level. The game remained evenly matched until the 60th minute when a long ball into the Cockhill box wasn’t dealt with by the defence. The ball fell to Carn winger Conor McLaughin who rolled the into the net from close range. Again though, Carns lead was short lived. Cockhill were fortunate when a dubious penalty was given when it looked as though the Carn defender won the ball. There was no doubting the quality of the penalty as Lee McColgan dispatched it low into the keepers left to make it two all . Cockhill were then reduced to nine men when Luke Rudden was sent off for two yellow cards. Carn themselves then received a red card when Conan Gibbons was also given two yellows a short while after. The final 10 minutes both sides were throwing everything at each other. With just five minutes to go Cockhill were awarded a second penalty. Again, McColgan stepped up and cooly dispatched his penalty to give Cockhill the win in a thrilling encounter. 


Strand Hotel First Division

Redcastle United 3

Dunree United 1

The game  had only just kicked off when the ball came to Jack McConnelleogue who was thirty yards out in a central position when he fired it straight into the top right hand corner of the net to open the scoring. The home side continued to press with Eamon Donnelly and Stephen Grant playing a neat one two  but the latters dangerous cross was well cleared by Ryan Bradley. Dunree responded and went close when Liam Baldrick advanced on the right before cutting in and shooting just past  the post.  Redcastle eneded the half well with Aiden Cunninghams half volley just over before  Cahir McLaughlin released Darragh McConway but he failed to hit the target when well placed. Dunree had the first chance of the second half on 55 minutes after Baldricks cross found Jamie Brosnan who headed just over. But the home side upped the tempo and increased their lead on the hour mark after McConway collected a loose ball in midfield and threaded it into the path of Cunningham to drill low past Philip Doherty. But the visitrs got back into the game minutes later when Bernie Doherty curled a free kick from the edge of the area to the top corner. The home side regained their two goal cushion in the 73rd minute after Gavin Grants cross was half cleared  as  far as Lee Barr  who hammered low to the bottom corner. An unfortunate neck injury to Dunree ‘s Conor Barrett saw  the game blown up in the 77th minute and all associated with the league wish Conor a speedy recovery.

Cockhill Youths 2


The visitors started this game at a high tempo and opened the scoring on 14 minutes after Daniel McMenamin ran onto a ball over the top , held off a defender and slotted low past Darragh O Donnell in the home goal. It got better for the visitors midway through the half  when good work by Seamus McFadden saw him pull the ball back into the path of McMenamin who finished low to the net. Cockhill rallied and reduced the deficit before the break with Paul Mullan finding Darragh McDermott who drilled a low shot in off the post past Conor O Neill. But minutes after the restart the Point restored their two goal lead when a corner deflected off a home defender and into the net. Again the home side tried to hit back with McDermotts effort tipped onto the post by O’Neill. Cockhill did get a goal back on 78 minutes when the visitors defence failed to clear and McDermott pounced from close range. But  QPS sealed the points when McMenamin struck for his third goal to complete his first senior hat trick. Cockhill had the final chance of the game but substitute Marc Doherty hit the side netting from a tight angle.

Buncrana Res 0

Rashenny FC 3

Both teams started the game well until Rasheeny’s  Gareth McKeever got on to a loose ball just outside Buncrana’s area and lobbed the hearts oncoming keeper Eoghan O’Doherty to make it one nil after just six minutes.Straight after the restart Hearts were awarded a penalty when Arlen Doherty was brought down in the box after an excellent bit of play by the Heart midfielder Liam Duncan  and  Adam Doherty stepped up but his  penalty was saved superbly by the visitors Sean Friel.
Rasheeny then started to dominate the game and  it wasn’t long before that man McKeever showed his class with another superb goal on 34 minutes shooting low across O’Dohertys goal from the right sinking the ball into the left hand corner. Buncrana then reviewed a big blow when their talented number ten Hugh Aaron McGonigle was substituted due to a knee injury  and the rest of the first half was very much a neven affair with both teams having good possession. Buncrana started the second half with more  determination and looked very much the better side keeping possession with some very entertaining football  with the front three  of Adam Doherty, Eoin McName & Cian Glesson all having excellent chances to score but the Rasheeny’s defence held firm. Declan McLaughlin s  move in to the middle of the park half way through the second half which made a complete difference to Rasheeny and settled the whole team down but very much against the run of play Rasheeny got their third  and  final goal to seal the win after a superb through ball from the Rasheeny midfield found Cormac Dillon who controlled the ball well to fire low into the Buncrana net.

Clonmany Res 1

Culdaff FC 2

Culdaff made a bright start to the match and took the lead in the 8th minute when Keith Norris controlled Ryan Greene’s cross from the right and his shot from the edge of the box found the bottom corner beating Kieran Friel in the Clonmany goal. Culdaff went close again in the 11th minute after  Ben Curley’s one-two with Bryan McCandless brought them into the box ,and his pass to Aidan Cunningham in space but he pulled his shot wide. Clonmany’s first opportunity fell to Lorcan McGonigle in the 19th minute when he received Conor Doherty’s pass on the right hand side and he drove into the box but his shot was deflected wide for a corner. Culdaff should have doubled their lead midway through the half after  Bryan McCandless latched onto a weak defensive header and strode into the box but Kieran Friel came out to close him down and he pulled his shot wide. Culdaff’s Michael Coyle went close again on the half hour  when he broke through the defence but Kieran Friel was off his line sharp and  blocked his shot away to safety. Culdaff scored a second shortly after  when a ball cleared from the box was rifled home from the edge of the box by Michael Doran , beating Kieran Friel at his left hand post. Culdaff were unlucky before the break when Keith Norris unleashed a thunderbolt from 30 yards which crashed off the crossbar and rebounded to safety. 

The second half was ten minutes old when Culdaff created their next chance after Ryan Greene broke into the box but again Kieran Friel was alert and pulled off a good blocking save. Again in the 57th minute Coyle’s cross from the right was headed over from eight yards out by  McCandless when well placed. Clonmany pulled a goal back in the 65th minute when Jake O’Donnell controlled Dylan McEleney’s cross from the right and finished calmly past Patrick McLaughlin in the Culdaff goals. Culdaff ‘s McCandless threatened the Clonmany goal again in the 80th minute when he broke into the box from the right wing and shot narrowly wide of Kieran Friel’s right hand post. Culdaff substitute Sean McGrenaghan almost added a third goal in the 85th minute when he challenged for a long ball with Kieran Friel at the edge of the Clonmany box and having won control he shot goalwards but Kieran was able to unbalance him as he shot and his shot went wide of the open goal. Clonmany almost equalised at the death when a free-kick was lofted into the box and when the ball was spilled by Patrick McLaughlin Clonmany’s Jake O’Donnell got to the loose ball but pit his shot the wrong side of the post and with that the full-time whistle went giving Culdaff victory.

Greencastle Youth 0

Aileach Res 4

Greencastle hosted Aileach at Chapel Lane and it was the home side who started brighter. Firstly Jamie Coyle came onto a ball at the edge of the box and his drive went narrowly over. A short time later a mazy run from Paul Brennan found him on the edge of the box but his effort went narrowly wide. Aileach responded and with good work down the right, got a chance to take the lead but their effort hit the post. Aileach took the lead against the run of play when a ball played through from midfield found Kevin Boyle with no defenders near him. Boyle ran through and placed the ball past Davenport in the Greencastle nets.

 Greencastle responded well and it was Steven Burke who had a great effort after he  won the ball in midfield drove forward but  his 20 yard drive brough a great save from Dillon Porter in nets for Aileach. Minutes later Porter made another great save to his right to deny William O Carroll . Both Teams had half chances at the start of the second half but it was Aileach who doubled their advantage. Good play by Stephen Doherty down the left and the ball eventually fell to Josh Boyle who finished well at the near post. Aileach got another goal 10 minutes later. Boyle was put through on goal and he slid the ball past  EvanDavenport.

Aileach got a fourth a short time later when Boyle went through one on one with Davenport. Davenport made a great save at the feet but the ball rolled back to Boyle who squared it for Stephen Doherty to tap in.

Both teams continued to work hard for the rest of the game with Aileach enjoying the greater of the possession against a very youthful Greencastle side

Greencastle Youths

Aileach Youths


Inishowen Engineering Division Two 

Gleneely Colts 4

Redcastle Res 1

Gleneely were first to show when Manus Doherty had a shot from 20 yards that was tipped over the bar by the Redcastle keeper. They had another chance on 17mins when a good run from Emmett O Brien down the right who  played the ball across the box but the Redcastle defender put it out for a corner. Minutes  later, Redcastle threatened when a great run from Mark Farren down the right and he forced a good save from Jordon McLaughlin in the home goal. Gleneely took the lead on 36minutes when Emmett O Brien played a ball into the box from the right and Shane Diver hooked the ball home from  eight yards.
Gleneely were first to threaten in the second half when a good run from Shay Harkin down the right and he forced a good save. Redcastle got a foot hold in the game without creating too many chances. Redcastles Lynch hit the bar from 25 yards but the ball bounced to safety. The pressure mounted and Redcastle scored on 72minutes when a weak header from the Gleneely defender to his goalkeeper allowed Gary Kelly to nip in and tap into an empty net. Gleneely  regained the lead when good work by Paul Gamble on the right found O’ Brien inside, who curled a shot home to the top corner from 20 yards. The home side then went three one ahead  when Matthew Doherty’s  ball across the box found Tristan McColgan  who chipped the ball over the keeper from  five yards. Gleneely completed the scoring in the 85th minute  when Paul Gamble scored into an empty net after his initial shot came off a defender.

Rashenny RES 2

Aileach Youths 6

The visitors took an early lead when Gavin Doherty chipped the ball forward to Josh Lynch who delivered into the six yard box where Ryan Wilson fired high into the net. Minutes later the lead should have been doubled. Thomas McMonagle set up Gavin Doherty who found himself unmarked in front of goal but Sam Coyle came to the rescue at the expense of a corner. Rasheney’s first threat on goal came following a corner but James McConologue at the back post just failed to get his head to the ball. After 15 minutes Aileach moved two ahead when Gavin Doherty reacted quickest to a delivery from the left wing and flashed home from twelve yards. Mid way through the half, the home side pulled a goal back. Caylum Long’s free kick from just outside the area was deflected onto the face of the crossbar and back into play only for Diarmait Keogh to be fouled inside the area as the Aileach defence attempted to clear. Long then scored the resulting penalty. Shortly afterwards the home side came close to an equaliser. Keogh dummied a forward ball and let it run through to Callum Crumlish who found himself in the clear with only the advancing Dylan Clarke to beat but his effort skimmed the crossbar. At the other end Wilson advanced along the right wing, cut inside and fired goalwards but Coyle pushed away the shot. From another Wilson delivery, home defender Peter Doherty headed behind for a corner which Gavin Doherty headed over. When the home side’s Patrick Doherty carried the ball forward to the edge of the area before laying off to Kyle Doherty, Clarke advanced to make an excellent block. The final two minutes of the half saw a goal for each side. Following good approach play involving Gavin Doherty and Aaron Doherty, Shea Kohlmeyer struck for his side’s third goal but almost immediately the score was brought back to 3 – 2 when Rasheney’s Crumlish swept home Ryan O’ Donnell’s low cross from the right. Within ten minutes of the restart Aileach’s Aaron Doherty had struck for two further goals having taken up unmarked positions in front of goal. A cross from the right was headed firmly to the net for his first while his second came when he latched onto a lofted ball from midfield and drove past Coyle. In the final quarter the visitors added a sixth goal. Substitute Matthew Mc Dermott reached quickest and drove home when a close range shot was blocked near to the goal line. Right at the death Coyle was forced to make another fine save from another sub Andrew Walker.

Illies Res 0

Sea Rovers 2

Rovers began well anddominated the opening period taking the lead after a home defender made a mistake  allowing Andrew Gallagher to pounce on the loose ball and fire it home.Illies had a great chance in the 40 th minute  when Owen Doherty’s free kick was headed by Michael Grant and Rovers keeper pammed it onto the crossbar.Rovers went two up 10 minutes into the second half after a through  ball from Daniel Mc Laughlin released Conor Mc Closkey and he  fired low past Conor Doherty the illies keeper. Illies responded and Shane Devlin had a great chance for the home side after  he robbed the keeper but hammered the ball wide.In the last minute  rovers broke away  with Declan Mc Gonigle’s dangerous  cross fielded the ball found no takers at the back post.

QPS Youth 2

Cockhill COLTS 2

Cockhill started the better and on 5 minutes Darragh Lyons crossed for Michael O Connor  but his header clipped the top of the crossbar.  Lyons had another chance then beating two defenders but his effort was well saved by Stephen Slattery. The home side responded with Sean Og Gallagher feeding Simon Wallace in behind the visitors defence but he scuffed his effort. The visitors broke the deadlock on 36minutes when Lyons collected a loose ball and curled a superb effort into the bottom corner from twenty two yards. This stirred the home side and after  Dean Hegartys free hit the crossbar they equalised  after a Thomas McConnellogue  through ball saw Gallagher beat a defender and slot home from close range. On the stroke of half time the home side took th lead when Gallagher released Hegarty to drill the ball low past advancing keeper Doherty. Cockhill started the second half well  with O Connor volleying just over. They got back on terms midway through the half after  Joe Doherty burst through the home defence and drilled low past Slattery. Both teams tried hard for a winner but the respective defences stood firm and the points were shared in an entertaining game.

Glengad Res 1

Carrowmena FC 3

In a game of two halves Glengad started the better and had the majority of possession. They took the lead 10 minutes when Caolan mc Colgan  went down the right  and crossed to Paul Anthony Mc Dermott who lobbed the advancing keeper Michael Noone from 15 yards. They were unlucky not to double their lead on 15 minutes when a free 20 yards out on left was curled around wall by Paul Anthony mc Dermott leaving the keeper stranded but crashing back of the post. Glengad continued to press and  had another chance when PJ Mc Daid found Mc Dermott who turned and beat the defender but shot low and wide to the keepers right. Carrowmeena  got an equaliser on the half hour mark after  a long ball over top saw Sean Diver  fouled in box and  Ryan Mc Dermott scored the penalty low past Danny Mc Gonagle’s right side. The visitors  started second  half better and took the lead  in the 55th  minute when Ronan Doherty disposed a defender down left and advanced  to cut inside another defender and score low past keeper . Glengad had a chance to equalise midway through the half when Mc Dermott,controlled and turned a defender on edge of box  but saw his effort crash back off the bar. Carrowmeenagh made it three one and sealed the points on 80 minutes when Doherty got possession down left and cut inside defender to score from ten yrds. Glengad had majority possession for remaining match but the visitors defence stood firm.


Cockhill RES 3

Rashenny ROVERS 0

Cockhill started very well taking the lead after five minutes when Joe Lavery broke into the box and squared it nicely to Liam McDaid to fire home at the back post past Roger McGilloway. Cockhill continued to press Rashenny and increased their lead on 25 minutes. Cahir McDaid picked the ball up twenty five yards  yards out from Liam McDaid and his finely struck shot had enough on it to beat Rashenny keeper, Roger McGilloway. McGillowaythen  produced a number of fine saves before the break from Joe Lavery and Caolan Moore to keep Rashenny well in it heading in to the second half. The next goal was crucial and it was Cockhill who got it, making it three nil on the hour mark. After some great build up play down the left by Shay Devlin and Christy McDaid setting up Cahir McDaid who’s shot from the edge of the box produced another great save from Roger McGilloway but Joe Lavery was first to react to drive home the loose ball from a tight angle. McGilloway produced two more quality saves to deny Cockhill a fourth quicky coming off his line to deny Cahir McDaid then Christy Doyle in quick sucession.  Credit to Rashenny who never gave up and were unlucky not to reduce the deficit when Leo McGlinchey hit a powerful effort from the corner of the box only to see it graze the outside of the far post past outstretched Cockhill keeper Lee McColgan.

Culdaff Res 1

Dunree Res 0

Culdaff Reserves  scored a narrow win over the visitors to secure  their first three points of the season. Oisin McLaughlin had the first chance after  Billy Hume dashed down the right flank before cutting in and feeding McLaughlin but his effort just went over the bar. Dunree’s first real chance came in the 20th minute when Cian Moran  tried a shot from inside the six yard box but stand-in Culdaff keeper  Peter Doherty denied him. Culdaff took the lead in  the 71st minute. Noel McLaughlin took the ball from the halfway line, dribbled past 2 Dunree defenders, and slotting the ball in to the bottom corner from inside the box. Culdaff squandered numerous chances after that, but Dunree was denied a late equaliser when  Moran’s effort  15 yards but Doherty made the save to give his team  the points.