Match Reports Sunday 10th October

Sunday  10th  October 

Jackie Crossan Premier Division  

Aileach FC 7

Clonmany Shamrocks 1

After 5 minutes  Keelan Doherty spurned a good chance to put the home side ahead when he raced clear but a bobble  as he shot resulted in his effort flying over the bar.


Two minutes later Gavin Doherty got through one on one with Aidan Lynch and the keeper did well to smother his effort. The opening goal arrived on 15 minutes when Keelan Doherty beat the offside trap and crossed for Darren McMonagle to finish side footed from twelve  yards. The second  arrived on 20 minutes after Gavin Doherty raced clear before rounding Lynch and finishing to the empty net. Aileach made it three on 28 minutes when Thomas McMonagle found Keelan Doherty wide on the right he picked out  Jordan McGeady on the edge of the box  to  finish low past Lynch. 

The second half was barely three  minutes old when Aileach added a fourth after Aaron Nash got clear down the right and crossed for Darren McMonagle to finish first time past Lynch from eight yards. On 70 minutes it became  five this time Darren McMonagle returned the favour to Nash who finished from close range. The sixth  arrived on 75 minutes when Keelan Doherty played Nash in and he slid the ball home from close range.  Clonmany then got a goal back when Dean Harkin did well to force his way past the Aileach defence before rounding McLaughlin and finishing from a narrow angle. The scoring was completed on 83 minutes  when Darren Bradley intercepted a clearance and slotted home from fifteen yards.


Buncrana Hearts 3

Illies Celtic 0

Illies had an early chance when a Paul Doherty snapshot was turned around the post by Eoghan O Doherty in the home goal. Buncrana responded and took the lead on 7 minutes after good work from Aaron McDaid saw him find Kieran McDaid who beat his man, rounded the keeper and slotted home. Buncrana continued to press and Aaron McDaid just failed to get enough on an Eoin Murhy cross while Bart Wesoloski headed over when  he should have hit the target. Before the break Illies went close with a Liam Doherty free gathered by O’Doherty. Buncrana continued in the ascendancy after the break with Aaron McDaid firing just over on 52 minutes. They doubled their advantage when  Kieran McDaid slipped fine pass into the path of namesake Aaron who managed to squeeze the ball home at the near post. Illies went very close to reducing the deficit after substitute John Campbell crossed for Etan Doherty but his shot was cleared off the line by Ryan Doherty. Buncrana ended the game well on top with Jerry Gill denied by Johnathan Noone, Mikey Friel hitting the side netting when well placed and Aaron McDaid seeing an effort also saved. The third goal came on 88 minutes after Kieran McDaid found Aaron and he slotted low to the corner.


Glengad United 1

Greencastle FC 3

The home side had the first  chance of the game on 10 minutes when Cathal McDaid s cross found John G McLaughlin who lopped a header over the bar. The visitor responded and broke the deadlock five minutes later when the home defence stood off Nigel McMonagle allowing him to find James Henry who fired low past Daniel Mullarkey from ten yards.Play was condensed into a midfield  battle then until Greencastle doubled their lead on 38 minutes.A Gavin Harkin free was cleared to the edge of the area for Henry to hammer the ball to the roof of the  net. On the stroke of half time it became three nil when Harkins cross found the unmarked Jack Coyle to head home from six yards. The home side hadmuch the better of the second half with Conor Barrow released by Terence Doherty firing just over on 50 minutes. Midway through the half Seamus Doherty won possession in midfield and advanced but also saw his effort just clear the crossbar. They did get a goal back on 76 minutes when Brandon Browne pounced on a poor back pass to round Patrick Quigley and slot the ball home. Glengad continued to press but were restricted  to long range efforts from Barrow and Doherty capably dealt with by Quigley. Greencastle had the final chance after a Michael Barr clearance over the top released McMonagle but Daniel Mullarkey was equal to his effort.


Carn FC 2

Cockhill Youths 3

Cockhill got the first goal on 5 minutes when Shane Doherty broke on the right wing and crossed for Adam McLaughlin who was unmarked inside the  box to drill a powerful shot to the top right corner of the net. Carn equalized four minutes later when Christy McLaughlin rounded two defenders  on the left wing and crossed for Cade Cooke who finished well  from fifteen yards. Cockhill went close midway through the half when Bobby Bradley crossed on the right wing and found Michael O Doherty who headed over the bar from 10 yards. Cockhill  took the lead then on 36 minutes after Shane Doherty broke on the left  and squared it for Michael O’Doherty who shot to the bottom right corner of the net from 12 yards .Cockhill  increased their lead on 54 minutes when Jack Mc Daid released Bobby Bradley on the left  who went past two defenders and shot to the roof of the net from 15 yards. Carn pulled one back on 77 minutes when a Cade Cooke corner  from the right found Lorcan Bradley unmarked and he drove a powerful shot to the top of the net from inside the area  but the visitors held on for the points. 


Strand Hotel Division One   


Gleneely Colts  1

The point started well and on 5 minutes Eoin Rafferty advanced up the right and pulled the ball back to Aaron Scott but he fired wide. They took the lead in fortuitous fashion minutes later after a shay Lynch cross was diverted to the net past Ciaran Gallagher by an unfortunate defender. When Ross Nicholas burst forward up the left into the area he found Darragh McDermott who in turn shot low to the corner to make it two nil on 12 minutes. Lynch then had another effort saved by Gallagher as the home side threatened to run away with it at this stage. But the Colts rallied and reduced the deficit when Conor McColgan parried a Cory O Brien effort for Billy McCann reacted first to slot home. McDermott then had a speculative thirty yards effort drift over before McCann had a close range header turned round the post by McColgan on the stroke of half time.  The home side started the second half well and increased their lead on 54 minutes after McDermott pounced to drill home from close range after Gallagher had parried a Fionnbhar Harley effort. Both McDermott and Josh Boyle then took good saves from Gallagher before they made it four  one. Nicholas  broke up the left and fed McDermott on the edge of the area and he curled a superb effort  into the bottom corner.  In a rare foray forward for the visitors McCann broke on the right  and saw his effort from a tight angle turned round the post by McColgan. The home side completed the scoring on 85 minutes after Lynch’s cross was steered home by McDermott for his fourth of the game.


Greencastle Youth 1

Aileach RES 4

Aileach kept abreast at the top of the table with this come from behind victory over a gallant Greencastle outfit. They began well with Conor Gallagher firing wide and Anthony Doherty shooting over in the early exchanges. At the other  end Brendan McClenaghan and Ben Doherty both had efforts on target well saved by Sean McGuinness. The home side took the lead on 20 minutes when Mark Murrays cross was controlled by Seamus McLaughlin before he calmly finished to the bottom corner. Aileach hit back with Kyle McCann  seeing an effort deflected wide before they equalised when the unmarked Anthony Doherty headed home following a 36th minute corner. Doherty then fired Aileach ahead before the interval when he broke clear and shifted the ball onto his right foot before finishing superbly to the top corner. Greencastle had the first chance of the second half on 55 minutes when  Evan Davenport collected McLaughlins pass inside the area but fired at McGuinness. From the keepers distribution Aileach broke and Doherty collected the ball on the left , cut inside and finished superbly to the top corner to complete his hat trick. Greencastle pressed hard to get back into the game with McClenaghan denied by McGuinness  and both Murray and Trevor Kane off target. Aileach sealed the points late on when Pol McGrory  stabbd the ball home from close range after the home defence failed to clear.

Clonmany RES 1

Culdaff FC 3

The home side  took the lead in the fifth minute after a Marty Doherty corner found Liam Hirrell who glanced a header past Martin McLaughlin in the visitors goal. But Clonmany were dealt a blow then when they  had to make two substitutions in the opening quarter. Culdaff replied and midway through the half Jack O Brien’s corner found JJ Doherty who headed just over from twelve yards. The home side responded quickly with Dessie Doherty finding Marty Doherty who released Adam McLaughlin but he fired wide when well placed. The visitors equalised minutes before the break after Bryan McCandless collected a Thomas O’Brien cross before laying the ball back to Dillon Ruddy who smashed it to the bottom corner from the edge of the area. Culdaff started well in the second period with Aidan Cunninghams free brilliantly tipped round the post by Killian McCarron and from the corner the ball broke to Cunningham on the edge of the area but again McCarron gathered low to his left. Clonmany had a great chance minutes later after Marty Doherty intercepted a ball in midfield and released Michael Grant who advanced past two defenders but dragged his effort tamely wide. Culdaff  upped the tempo and both Ruddy and Thomas O’Brien had efforts well saved by McCarron. The visitors took the lead midway through the half when substitute Ben Curley burst into the area and pulled the ball back for Jack Mclaughlin to fire low past McCarron. They went close again following  a corner which McCandless  directed  goalwards but Grant was well positioned to clear. Culdaff sealed the points on 87 minutes after a stunning effort from McLaughlin crashed off the angle of the post and bar and Ruddy pounded on the rebound to drill home.

Inishowen Engineering Division Two   

Moville Res 3

Rasheney FC 1

Rasheney had the first effort and were unlucky when Kaylum Long unleashed an effort which crashed off the  bar before the same player fired just over the bar from the edge of the area. Moville responded and Danny Murphy saw an effort clip the outside of the post before a Caillou O Kane half volley was well saved by Craig Doherty. Moville broke the deadlock just before the break when Conor Lafferty  converted a penalty awarded for a handball in the area. Rasheney  started the second half well with David McLaughlin firing wide from close range before Anthony Doherty headed over. They levelled on the hour mark after Charlie Doherty headed home from a corner. But Moville regained the lead five minutes later when Murphy glanced home  Lafferty’s free from the right to the bottom corner. The home side sealed the points then after Lafferty ‘s corner found Murphy whose effort took a deflection past Doherty to the net.


Culdaff Res 1

Sea Rovers 3

Rovers with the wind had the first effort of the game after  ten minutes when Damien Ward unleashed a twenty five yards effort which was well saved by Zach Conlon. Culdaff replied and player manager Matthew  Crampsey cut in from the left past two defenders but shot over the bar. Rovers upped the tempo and when a Shay Rodgers effort bounced awkwardly in front of Conlon he reacted brilliantly to tip the ball round the post. Conlon then saved well from both  Daniel Gallagher and Conor McGeoghaghan shots from outside the area. The home side had the final chance of the half when Sean McGrenaghan advanced into the right hand side of the area but fired narrowly over the bar. Culdaff got off to a dream start  to the second half when Crampsey dispossessed a rovers defender and unleashed a powerful low effort to the bottom corner past Mark McLaughlin . But Rovers turned this game totally around in a ten minute spell midway through the half. They levelled when Andrew Gallagher pounced on a loose ball outside the area and drilled low to the bottom corner giving Conlon no chance. Minutes later  Daniel Gallagher dispossessed a home defender and fired to the roof of the net.On 76 minutes Rovers increased their lead after Daniel Gallagher  unleashed a superb angled effort to the top corner.


Dunree Res 1

Carrowmena FC 8

Dunree took an early lead in this game when Sean Doherty pounded on a defensive error  to slot past Maurice McGeady in the visitors goal. But Carrowmena dominated the game after this and had ended it as a contest by the break. Tony McClenaghan equalised with a superb twenty five yards strike before Ronan Doherty scored direct from a corner on 25 minutes. A mix uo in the home defence allowed Michael Henry to make it three one  and further goals from Doherty and Henry made it five one at the break. Dunree kept trying to go forward  in the second half but were repeatedly caught on the break allowing Ronan Doherty to add three more goals to give him a personal tally of five goal and an emphatic win.


Illies Res 3

Carn Res 0

Carn dominated the opening half an hour but failed to convert their supremacy into goals. Graham Doherty in the home goal made two fine saves to deny Luke White and Dermot Doherty in the opening fifteen minutes. Then Kyran Cantwell fired just over  the bar when well placed. Against the run of play the home side took the lead on the stroke of half time when a quick break away saw Paul Devlin release Ronan Hegarty on the right and his deep cross was steered home by Shane Devlin. Illies upped the tempo on the restart and Daniel McDaid in the Carn goal made a brilliant save to deny Devlin a second goal before making another save  from Nathan McLaughlin. Illies increased their lead on 66 minutes when Heagrty raced onto Dominic Doherty s ball over the top and rounded McDaid to slot home.  Hegarty then made it three nil when he headed home at the near post following Conor Doherty’s corner.  The final chance fell to Illies McLaughlin but again McDaid made a fine stop.


Rasheney Res 0

Buncrana Res 4

The visitors Stephen McHugh had an early chance but fired wide from inside the area. The same player gave Buncrana the lead in the eighth minutes when he converted a penalty after he had been upended inside the area. Rasheney had a good spell then with  Mark Diver firing over before Brendan Grants overhead kick also sailed over. Oliver Crouch then played a one two with Joey Holland but his weak effort was gathered by Buncrana keeper Oran McBride. Buncrana ended the half strongly with Arlen Doherty denied by a good save from Roger McGilloway  before McHugh s attempted chip just cleared the bar. They added a second goal on the stroke of half time after Kevin Jordan beat the advancing McGilloway to a looping cross  before bundling the ball home. The visitors  increased their lead on 51 minutes when McHugh sidefooted a defender inside the area and rolled the ball home . He proceeded to complete his hat trick on 58 minutes after controlling a cross into the area he made space before firing low to the corner. They had another chance midway through the  half after substitute Eoin McNamee s low cross found Michael Doherty whose effort was deflected wide. McHugh had the final chance of the game but fired over the bar.


Aileach Youths 0

Cockhill Res 0

The first half started in cagey fashion with both sides content to play the ball around at the back. Chances were at a premium with the final ball eluding the midfielders of either side.  Cockhill came closest to breaking the deadlock just before the break when Kieran McElroy advanced from full back and fired a shot from twenty yards that rattled the crossbar. The early stages of the second half followed the pattern of the first until the hour.  Cockhill took advantage of loose passing in the Aileach rearguard and Niall Breslin forced a great save from Dylan Clarke in the home goal. Aileach also started pressing in the final third with Dillon McGrory a constant threat. With twenty minutes to go, go