Match Reports Sunday 10th March

Inishowen Football League Fix Sunday 10th March

FAI Junior Cup Quarter Final

Clonmel Town                    1

Glengad  United                3

Glengad United produced one of the best performances in Inishowen club history when they defeated Clonmel Town by three goals to one and qualify for the semi finals of the FAI Junior cup.

Glengad started this game very well and took an early lead after Terence Doherty found space inside the area but saw his effort crash off the post for Conor Barrow to follow up and  slot home. On 18 minutes Stephen Mclaughlin broke on the right and crossed for Barrow whose effort was well parried by Ciaran Barrett in the home goal and Doherty following up drove over the bar. Glengad continued to take the game to the home side and on 33 minutes Doherty fired another effort over the bar before on the stroke of half time Seamus Doherty advanced from the back and flashed an effort narrowly wide with the surface of the pitch deteriorating. Clonmel came out in the second half determined to take the game to the visitors and got back on terms on 57minutes. With the ball returned to keeper Daniel Mullarkey after an injury Clonmel chased the ball down forcing the keeper to kick to touch and from the throw in Jamie Aherne jinked past two defenders and crossed for Keith Cashman to slot home at the back post. But Glengad rallied and regained the lead  on 71 minutes when a superb Stephen McLaughlin cross caused all sorts of confusion and Terence Doherty sidefooted home . Glengad did not rest on  their lead and on 81 minutes sealed their passage to the semi finals when Christopher McLaughlin despatched a free kick to the top corner from the angle of the area. Glengad now await with bated breath their fate in the semi finals of this hugely prestigious competition and will be dreaming of a date in the Aviva.

Buncrana Credit Union Cup Round One

Buncrana Hearts               2

Carn FC                              3

In wintry conditions Buncrana started well and when Aaron McDaid and Mark McFadden combined to find Michael Coyle his effort was well saved by Jack Nelson. Coyle then found himself  in the clear  but he failed to hit the target. They did take the lead on the half hour when McDaid broke clear of the Carn defence and dinked the ball superbly over Nelson. Nelson then kept his side in the game when he brilliantly tipped a John Timlin effort over the bar. On the stroke of half time  Carn got back on terms after Cade Cooke robbed a defender and unleashed a brilliant twenty five yards strike to the top corner. Buncrana had the first chance on the restart  but McDaid saw his effort well saved again by Nelson. Midway through the half the visitors took the lead when Cooke pounced on a poor back pass and finished low to the net. Buncrana tried to respond with substitute Ben Bradley  firing a good effort narrowly wide. With Buncrana pushing they were caught on the break late on and substitute Darragh Deery finished superbly past Eoghan O’Doherty. In injury time the home side reduced the deficit again when Gary Duffy’s cross was headed home by Gerard Boyle but Carn held on to advance.


Knockalla Caravans Senior Cup

Fanad United                                  1

Greencastle FC                              2

Greencastle FC made the long trip to Traigh-a-Loch and came away with a place in the quarter finals of the Knockalla Caravan’s Cup after a 2-1 victory over Fanad United.The game was played in a gale force wind which done neither team any favours. Greencastle played with the aid of the wind in the first half and dominated possession. 10 minutes into the game, referee Vincent McLaughlin was forced to take the players from the field for 10 minutes due to lightening overhead. When play resumed Greencastle continued to press without creating any clear cut chances. In the 25th minute, Eamon Donnelly hit a speculative shot from 20 yards which was easily saved by Sean McCafferty. Ten minutes later Dean McCarry flicked on a Paul Bradley free kick to Caolan Kelly, who’s shot was deflected over the Greencastle bar. Two minutes later, full back Gavin Harkin made a surging run into the Fanad box but his dangerous cross was cleared by Ryan McFadden. In the 40th minute Sean McCafferty in the Fanad nets made a fine double save to deny Christy Hegarty and Matty Henry. The clearest chance of the half fell to Jamie McCormick when he pounced on a poor clearance from McCafferty only to shoot straight at the keeper.


Fanad played with the aid of the wind in the second half and had more possession. They did have the ball in the net in the 51st minute, but Marty McAteer was harshly ruled offside. Just after the hour mark Greencastle took the lead. A ball from the right by Christy Hegarty was met by Nigel McGonagle who fired into the net. The lead lasted 5 minutes as Fanad struck back. A free from Paul Bradley was flicked on by Caolan Kelly to Seamus Friel who headed into the net at the second attempt. With 15 remaining, McGonagle missed a clear chance to put Greencastle ahead when he rounded McCafferty but pulled his shot wide. Greencastle did get the winner with 3 minutes remaining when Matty Henry found space in the box and fired high into the net.


Fanad United: Sean McCafferty, Peter Curran, Paul Bradley, Seamus Friel, Patrick McGinley, Marty McAteer, Ciaran Sharkey, Dean McCarry, Jason Collins, Caolan Kelly, Ryan McFadden

Subs Used: Edward O’Reilly, Rowan Duffy


Greencastle: Dylan Doherty, Gavin Harkin, Ciaran Moore, Mark Henry, DJ Canavan, Eamon Donnelly, Jamie McCormick, James Henry, Nigel McGonagle, Matty Henry, Christy Hegarty

Jackie Crossan Premier Division 

Redcastle United              1

Illies Celtic                        8

On a cold and windy afternoon Illies started the better of the two sides and after 3 minutes a cross from Liam Grant was headed in by Paul Doherty. With 10 minutes gone Illies got their second when a volley from 25 yards by Adrian Donaghey Doherty beat the Redcastle keeper and ended in the top corner. Redcastle got themselves back in the game 10 minutes later when good team play got Alan Clarke free out wide and his cross was well finished by Christy Smith. From the kick-off Illies went about restoring their two goal lead and would have exceeded but McCole pulled off a good triple save. From the corner however Illies played it short and when the ball found John Campbell he made it 1-3. As the weather became worse Redcastle found it hard to defend and Illies took advantage when Liam Doherty’s shot made it 1-4. With 10 minutes to go in the first half another poor clearance from Redcastle found Paddy Doherty who’s long range looping effort caught in the wind and beat the keeper to make it 1-5. Four minutes later Illies were awarded a corner and as Liam Grant swung it in it caught in the wind and went directly in to make it six one at the break.As the weather improved in the second half so did Redcastle’s performance but they were unable to create a clear chance. Illies had the better of the chances and got their seventh with 15 minutes left when Redcastle keeper tried to beat Liam Grant but it was intercepted and the ball rolled across the line. With the final kick of the game a bouncing ball fell to Liam Doherty who struck the ball well from the edge of the box and it found the bottom corner to complete the scoring.

Hannon Greene Insurances Fr O Gara Cup

Moville Res         1     

QPS                      4

Division two Moville started this game well and took the lead on 5 minutes after PJ Barr sent Danny Murphy through to round Aiden Lynch and fire high to the net. The visitors replied and a Bradley Callaghan effort came off the bar before being cleared. Midway through the half the point equalised when an inswinging Aaron McColgan corner found James Quigg to bundle the ball home from close range. They continued to press and Sean Downey fired into the side netting when well placed. But the point took the lead before the break when after a good move McColgan set up Callaghan for an easy finish past Maurice McGeady. Moville had the first chance of the second half after Murphy  saw his snapshot well saved by Lynch. The point increased their lead in fortuitous fashion on 68 minutes when McColgan’s cross deflected off a defender past McGeady. They sealed their progress when substitute John McCloskey finished well when picked out by Callaghan.

Greencastle Res           0      

Dunree United             2

Dunree started the better and both Philip McGuinness and Liam Baldrick took good saves from Puaric Carey-Doherty in the home goal. Greencastle responded and Ronan Doherty had an effort saved by Sean Parker.But Dunree resumed on top with Darryl Moran seeing a free sail just over before they took the league on 26 minutes after Thomas Mulhern threaded a pass into the path of Philip McGuinness to shoot low past Carey-Doherty. The home side came more into the game before the break with Daniel Rowan’s shot parried by Parker and Andrew Peoples firing the rebound wide before Peoples superb lob came off the underside of the bar and was cleared. Peoples had the first chance of the second half when headed a Joe Doherty free narrowly wide. Dunree responded and both Baldrick and McGuinness were off target with efforts. Greencastle threw men forward and Rowan had an effort saved before Puaric Gillen fired just wide. Dunree struck for the crucial goal on 89 minutes when Moran broek through the home defence to fire low past Carey-Doherty.

Clonmany Res              6      

QPS  Res                        0

The first half was dominated by the blustery conditions  with both sides finding it difficult to come to terms with the wind. But the home side broke the deadlock on 43 minutes when Dessie Doherty released Pearse McCarron and he fired low past David Bell in the point goal.Ten minutes into the second period David McGonigle ‘s inswinging corner landed in the net to double their advantage. The point replied and when Jack McConalogue broke clear of the home defence but Liam McGonigle advanced to smother at his feet. Clonmany let loose in the final fifteen minutes adding four goals without reply. Conor Doherty broke clear of the point defence before firing high past Bell and then he added a second beating two defenders before drilling low to the net. Thomas Comiskey scored the goal of the game with a superb twenty five yards  chipped effort before he turned provider to release Alex McFadden to finish well from twelve yards and complete the scoring.

Aileach Res                   2

Rasheney FC                 4

In very windy conditions at Lakeside holder Rasheney opened the scoring on 15minutes when Christy Ivers intercepted a clearance to advance and curl the ball over the home keeper. Aileach then pushed forward but Killian o Rourke shot well over  with a long range effort. Rasheney went two up on 35minutes when Charlie Doherty with the wind behind him let fly from 35 yards to score low to the bottom corner. Within a few minutes they made it three nil when  John  Grant played the ball through for Kieran Friel to run onto and slide it past the home keeper. Aileach came out fighting after the break and should have pulled one back but Stephen Doherty shot wide from 15 yards. On 55mins a long free was laid off by John Mc Laughlin for the in rushing John Grant to curl a great effort to the top corner to make it four nil. Aileach then rallied and scored twice in as many minutes after a series of corners Seamus O Donnell forced the ball home from 10yards .Then Stephen O Donnell slipped the ball through and Sean Mc Hugh raced onto it and slot passed the advancing keeper. Aileach were well on top now but couldn’t find the back of the net again, O Donnell headed just over from another corner and Shane McMonagle set up Mc Hugh but his effort went past the post.

Inishowen Engineering Division 2 B     11am

Rasheney Res              1     

Culdaff Res                   2

In very blustery conditions  Rasheney started well and after good interplay Matthew Duffy had a sight of goal but fired straight at Martin McLaughlin. They took the lead on 19 minutes after Tiernan McDonald fed Brian Devlin who fired low to the right hand corner from twenty yards. Culdaff replied with Gary Collins firing straight at Declan Grant before Jack McLaughlin broke clear onto a Matt McDaid pass but Grant gathered his weak shot.McDonald had the final chance of the half or the homeside but he fired narrowly over.Culdaff dominated the second half and great work from Jack McLaughlin on the left saw him square to Ben Curley but he fired over from six yards. A poor kick out by Grant on 56 minutes was collected by Mclaughlin who fired a superb twenty yards effort over the keeper to the net.Substitute Niall Mclaughlin then set up his nephew Jack but his effort was blocked by the legs of Grant  before McLaughlin went through again rounded Grant but fired off the base of the post. The winner arrived on 89 minutes when Collins won a superb tackle in midfield and advanced to spread the ball wide on the left to Jack Mclaughlin whose pinpoint cross was headed home by Niall McLaughlin at the back post.

Carn Res                        2

Cockhill Res                  6

Carn’s first chance came on 10 minutes when a John Downes pass down the right wing found Conor Doherty who rounded the defender and laid it off for Tiernan Coyne who shot low to the left but wide from ten yards. Cockhill replied on 20 minutes when Bernard Gubbins pass from midfield found  Damien Friel and saw Carn keeper Dean Mason off his line and he tried to lob him from 25 yards but just wide. Cockhill broke the deadlock on 28 minutes when a Ryan McDaid long pass from midfield found Tristian Donaghy whose shot came off Mason and Mark Gillespie pounced to slot the rebound home . Carn nearly equalized on 40 minutes when a Paul Stevens pass found Conor Doherty on the right wing and he crossed for Tiernan Coyne but he failed to hit the target.Cockhill made it two three minutes after half time when a Ciaran McDaid pass  found Ryan McDaid on the right wing and he crossed for Kevin McDaid who was unmarked in the 18 yard box  to shoot low to the bottom right corner of the net from 15 yards. It was three on 58 minutes when James Barber was upended In the penalty area and Gillespie converted the penalty to get his second goal. Cockhill made it four on 66 minutes after  a Bernard Gubbins long pass found Donaghy and he beat the defender to shoot low to the corner. Carn pulled one back minutes later after a run from Ryan O’Donnell on the right wing saw his  cross find Niall McGuinness who drove a powerful shot  home. But Cockhill made it 5-1 on 70 minutes after Gubbins made a great run from midfield  and played it to Donaghy on the left who laid it off for Gubbins to slot home. Carn made it 5-2 on 75 minutes when a Niall McGuinness through ball found Tiernan Coyne who went one on one with the keeper Declan Caldwell and fired low past Caldwell. Cockhill rounded up the scoring on 86 minutes when Donaghy advanced  on the right wing and rounded the defender before  crossing for Kevin McDaid to fire to the roof of the net from ten yards.

Carrowmena FC           0

Illies Res                       4

Illies playing with the wind in the first half exerted a lot of pressure  and broke the deadlock on 15 minutes when Shane Devlin cooly converted a penalty awarded after Ronan Hegarty had been upended. Good work by John Pio Donahey, Joe McDaid and Devlin ended with the latter laying the ball for McDaid to sidefoot home from ten yards on 29 minutes. Carrowmena dug deep with Michael O Doherty and  Kevin McCauley defending stoutly and it remained two nil at the break. Carrowmena started the second half well and both Gerard Gill and Samuel Bredin were denied by good saves from Kevin Gallagher. Illies broke and a quick break saw Hegarty break clear and lob the advancing Brian Houten to make it three nil. On 74 minutes Seamus O’Donnell’s free found the unmarked McDaid to slot home from five yards and complete the scoring. The home side kept going to the end but failed to get a consolation.