Match Reports Sunday 10th March

Inishowen Football League Reports  10th  March

Donegal Signs Challenge Cup 

Glengad United 1

Culdaff FC 2

This local derby cup clash was played in blustery conditions at the Crua before a big crowd.Culdaff had the first opportunity when Euan McFeely found Jack O’Brien on the edge of the area and he fired inches past Zach Conlons left hand post.

Glengad replied and threatened when a Matthew Mooney cross found Terence Doherty whose first time effort was saved by Patrick McLaughlin. Conor O’Neill then found Doherty  on the edge of the area but he failed to hit the target when well placed. The home side had another chance from a Christy McLaughlin free with Dohertys glancing header landing on top of the bar and going over.  The visitors responded and great work from McFeely and Michael Coyle released Brendan McLaughlin who was upended in area with Aiden Cunningham sending Conlon the wrong way from the spot. Glengad started the second half well and after great play from Christy McLaughlin he made space for himself to unleash a shot from the edge of the area which flashed just wide. The home side levelled on 55 minutes after Terence Doherty collected possession from O’Neill rolled a defender and superbly chipped McLaughlin. Glengad were on top at this stage and on the hour mark O’Neill cut in from the right before shooting wide from the edge of the area. Culdaff finished  the game strongly with Brendan Mclaughlin firing over after O’Brien had picked him out on the edge of the area before Cunningham advanced from midfield and fired narrowly wide. With extra time looming the visitors struck for the winner when Brendan Mclaughlin jinked his way past three or  four defenders before rifling a left footed shot into the bottom corner for a superb individual effort  to send his team into the semi finals.

Strand Hotel First Division

Clonmany Res 3

Aileach Res 2

An entertaining opening half saw the home side take the lead on 7 minutes after Darragh Porter fed Lorcan McGonigle whose cross was met by the head of Jamie Coyle and when his header came off the bar Tiernan McDonald was on hand to slot home. McDonalf then had another effort saved by Dylan Clarke before at the other end Dillon McGrorys cross shot was well held by Killian McCarron.Aileach went close again with Darren Bradley racing onto a through ball but McCarron advanced to clear the danger. Clonmany responded and a McGonigle free fell to Coyle twelve yards out but he shot over when well placed.Aileach hit the home side with two goals in as many minutes to turn the game around. On the half hour they levelled when James Wallace released Bradley who rounded McCarron to slot home. A minute later a long goal kick from Clarke sent Stephen Doherty in behind  the home defence and he cut inside a defender before slotting past McCarron. But the home side rallied and got back on terms when Logan McDaid found McDonald inside the area and he evaded two tackles before slotting low past Clarke.Both sides had chances before the break with David Healy for the visitors and Coyle for the home side both shooting straight at the respective keepers. There weas not as much goalmouth action in the second half. Clonmany began well and a McDaid effort  was gathered at the second attempt by Clarke. They regained the lead on the hour mark with McDonald converted a penalty after he had been upended.  Aileach replied  with Darren Bradley scuffing an effort wide when well placed before Healy headed a cross from Wallace wide when unmarked. The final chance fell to the home side after Thomas Comiskey held the ball up well played a one two with Coyle but saw his effort deflected wide. From the corner Porters header crashed off the post. Aileach pressed in the closing stages but  the home defence stood firm.


Greencastle Youths 1

Redcastle United 2

In a competitive encounter the league leaders snatched the three points in injury time to leave them within touching distance of the league title.

The home side had the first opportunity when Michael Henry unleashed an effort but Michael McCole saved well. Redcastle settled after this and a dangerous Stephen Grant cross eluded all before Shaun Curran fired wide when well placed. From a home corner kick the visitors broke clear and Gavin Grant fired wide  as he bore down on goal. A Curran corner was then headed over by Jack McConnellogue before Redcastle opened the scoring on 33 minutes.  After the home defence failed to clear a corner the ball broke to Marc Bell to slot home from six yards. Bell then failed to hit the target from twelve yards before at the other end Christy Hegarty was denied by a smothering save from McCole. Redcastle had the first chance of the second half on 55 minutes when in a goal mouth scramble the ball was cleared off the line by William O’Carroll. The home side then had a good spell with Ruairi O’Donnell evading a couple of challenged but denied by the advancing McCole before the same player saw a shot cleared off the line by Stephen Grant. An O’Carroll free was then headed wide by Hegarty when well placed. Greencastle equalised in the 81st minute when another O’’Carroll free fell to O’Donnell who controlled before driving powerfully past McCole with the aid of a slight deflection. Redcastle replied and Bell was denied by a superb save from Dean Mason.Bt the league leaders snatched all three points in injury time when a deep cross was headed down by McConalogue for Bell to control and finish low past Masson.

Greencastle Youths

Redcastle United



Rashenny FC 1


Rashenny started well and David Mclaughlin created a good opening cutting inside from the  right but firing over when well placed. The visitors replied positively with Lee Rutherford had an effort saved by Gavin Mclaughlin before Daniel McMenamin saw a shot deflected wide. Play swung to the other end and Damien Friel had a free held by  Conor O’Neill before John McLaughlin failed to convert brother David s cross with the goal at his mercy. The last chance of the half fell to QPS when John McCloskey hooked the ball wide in a crowded area. QPS got a great start to the second period after McMenamin evaded a tackle  and laid the ball off to McCloskey who sidestepped a defender and slotted low to the net from fourteen yards. But the home side equalised within a minute after John Mclaughlin fed Declan McLaughlin on the left and his  cross was headed home by David McLaughlin. David McLaughlin then flashed a superb ball across the six yard area but there were no takers for the home side. The visitors then took the lead on 71 minutes after a corner into a crowded area was poked goalwards by McCloskey with McLaughlin unable to prevent the ball crossing the line. McCloskey completed his hat trick and sealed the points in the process with a superb twenty five yards free to the top corner.


Inishowen Engineering Division Two A

Sea Rovers 4

Gleneely Colts 2

This top of the table clash  at Gortnamullin saw the first half being a tight cagey affair as expected. The visitors took an early league when Shane Diver was taken down in the box and he picked himself up to convert the penalty . A good tight game for the rest of the half with the best chances falling to Rovers shots from Ryan Doherty and Conor Mc Closkey were well saved by Gleneeys Ciaran Gallagher. In the dying minutes of the first half  Rovers won a free kick twenty five  yards out and  Daniel Gallagher  Daniel Gallagher despatched the ball past Gallagher to leave the teams level at the interval.  Rovers got a great start to the second half when a shot from  Andrew Gallagher was deflected of a Gleneely defender leaving the keeper with no chance. Rovers  were on top at this stage and  a great piece of play and a perfect pass from  Liam Gallagher in centre mid found Daniel Gallagher on the right whose cross was well headed home by Conor Mc Closkey . Minutes later Liam Gallagher set up Daniel Gallagher this time to claim Rovers fourth of the game. A late corner from Gleneely in the last minute was cleared by the home defence as far as Shane Diver whose shot through a a conjested area found the back of the Rovers net  but it was the home side who claimed the points and blew the title race wide open.

QPS Youths 2

Culdaff Res 1

The game started at a good pace with the visitors first to threaten after a Billy Hume effort was well held by Stephen Slattery. But the home side took the lead midway through the half when Joe Johnstone turned well and ran through the Culdaff defence before slotting past Odhran Douglas. The visitors equalised before the break when Hume broke on the left and fired past Slattery who got a hand to the ball but could not keep it out. The second half was a tight affair with Darragh McCormick and Nathan Mullarkey prominent for the visitors. But the home side snatched the points in the closing minutes after Simon Wallace fired a superb effort to the top corner from twenty yards.

Inishowen Engineering Division Two B

Carrowmena FC 1

Illies Res 2

This  league decider  at Tremone saw Illies clinch league honours with a hard fought win over the home side at the Warren in blustery conditions.Illies Res started the game with the wind in their back but it was the home side that dictated most of the opening exchanges.

Carrowmena controlled most of the possession and Illies forayed forward with occasional counter attacks. Ciaran Brown and Ruairí Dougal seen a lot of the ball and mounted most of the play. Chances though were at a premium. Carrowmena created quite a few chances but the Illies defence stood firm the  most notable a chance falling to Gerard Gill but the Illies keeper  Conor Doherty recovered well to make a fine save.

The second half continued in the same vein  as Carrowmena pressed for an opening goal with Ronan Doherty prominent.The break through in the game came on the hour mark when the Oran Doherty  picked up a short back pass to beat Michael Noone into the lower left corner.

Carrowmena had the chance to equalise when Ronan Doherty was upended in the box but again the Illies keeper  Doherty came to the rescue saving Ryan McDermotts spot kick low to his left.

Illies doubled their lead as Carrowmena pressed for an equaliser  a fine break away goal finished by substitute Shaun McCallion low past Michael Noone. Noone then pulled a goal back   for the home side as his long ball forward deceived everyone and found the net. Carrowmena pressed again but time was against them and Illies seen out the game to clinch the points and the league title.


Illies Reserves

Glengad Res 3

Rashenny RES 1

Playing against the wind the home side started well with Caolan McColgan crossing for PJ McDaid to volley over from the edge of the area. They opened the scoring on 15 minutes after Paul McGonagle released  John McDaid to fire low past Sam Coyle from ten yards. Five minutes later Conor McGonagle advanced on the left and pulled the ball back for  Callum McDaid to drill low past Coyle who got a hand to the ball but could not keep it out. Rashenny responded with a Caylum Long effort from distance tipped around the post by Michael McLaughlin. The visitors then got a goal back when Ryan Doherty advanced and unleashed an effort which deceived McLaughlin in the home goal. But minutes later Glengad regained their two goal cushion after McColgand and PJ McDaid combined to tee up Callum McDaid to fire low past Coyle from eight yards.Rashenny had the final chance of the half when Longs free kick was superbly turned round the post by McLaughlin. The second half saw the home side content to control possession and protect their lead with the advantage of the wind. They had a good chance when McGonigle set up Callum McDaid but he blazed his hat trick attempt over the bar. Rashenny were denied a goal in the 75th minute after Shea Grant broke clear but was denied by McLaughlin. In the closing stages Christopher Doherty for the home side and Caylum Long for the visitors were both red carded after an altercation.