Match Reports Sunday 10th April

Inishowen Football League Fixtures  2021-22

SATURDAY 9th April

Clubman Shirts League Cup Final

Buncrana Hearts 4

Greencastle   FC 0

Many will be surprised by the result of this game but in truth the Hearts fully deserved this comprehensive success as Gary Duffy’s Buncrana Hearts

produced their best performance of the season on Saturday  to secure the Clubman Shirts League Cup .

Hearts looked hungrier all over the pitch with Kieran McDaid  dictating much of his sides attacking intent. Greencastle were actually the first side to threaten on 20 minutes when Jamie McCormick’s effort from distance went narrowly wide. But the  Hearts took the lead five minutes later however when the impressive John Timlin got forward from right back to pick out Eoin Murphy and the midfielder guided a superb volley past Jason McCallion in the Greencastle goal. Buncrana were on top at this stage and both Aaron McDaid and James Adair went close with good chances before the interval. After such a poor first half, Greencastle were going to need to up their game big time if they were going to get back into this contest but just four minutes into the second period, the Hearts doubled their advantage. McCallion was harshly adjudged to have fouled McDaid just outside the box and the excellent  Kevin Jordan stepped up to whip a brilliant free kick over the head of the Greencastle keeper and into the top corner.Bart Wesolowski and McDaid both went close to adding to the lead before Greencastle finally tested Rory Kelly on 73 minutes when the Hearts keeper tipped  a Jamie McCormick effort over.But Buncrana effectively  sealed the victory with seven minutes to play after McCallion  failed to hold McDaid’s free and Wesolowski was on hand to bundle the ball over the line from close range. They put the icing on the cake just three minutes later when substitute Darach O’Connor released Kieran McDaid, who produced a delightful chip over McCallion to spark scenes of wild celebration from Hearts players and supporters alike. 



The award went to Buncrana Hearts  Kieran McDaid  who tormented the Greencastle defence all day , had a hand in setting up two goals and scored one himself in an all round impressive performance.

Greencsatle F.C.


Sunday 10th April 

Jackie Crossan Premier Division  

Aileach FC 2

Glengad United 1

Needing a win to ensure  they didn’t gift Greencastle the title  Aielach were pushed to the limits by a determined  Glengad side. On 15 minute s Caolan Doherty made good progress down the right and his cross field ball found Gavin Doherty whose  low cross was well defended by James McKinney turning the ball wide for a corner with Aaron Nash waiting to tap into an empty net. The home side took the lead on 25 minutes when Gavin Doherty found Aaron Nash on the right side of the penalty area and he pulled the ball back for Caolan Doherty to take a touch before firing low past Patrick Mc Laughlins right hand from the edge of the box. On 35 minutes, Jordan McGeady wove his way through midfield and hit a fierce drive from 20 yards which rebounded off the post, then off the keeper and out for a corner.  After the restart on 53 minutes, Gavin Doherty found himself in space 25 yards from goal but his well struck shot just cleared the bar. Almost immediately Glengad broke upfield and Stephen Mc Laughlin cut inside and brought a fine diving save from Darragh Mc Laughlin in the home goal. Aileach pressed again on 67 minutes and good work down the right between Nash and Caolan Doherty released Paddy Slevin but his effort from an angle just went wide of the far post. Midway through the half, Glengad grabbed an equaliser when a James Mc Kinney free kick from 30 yards deflected off the wall and looped over McLaughlin. Aileach continued to press but were rushing their efforts and Glengad almost grabbed a second when John Gerard Mc Laughlin hit a shot from 40 yards which just clipped the top of McLaughlins bar. With 8 minutes left, Aileach did grab a second goal which turned out to be the winner when Darren Mc Monagle picked the ball up 30 yards from goal and fired a screamer which went in off the angle of the post and crossbar with the keeper stranded. 


Hannon Greene Insurances Fr O Gara Cup Semi Finals 

QPS    2

Redcastle United 1

In a tight scrappy opening half there were few clear chances at either end. The visitors had the opening effort on 17 minutes when Ronan Hoy latched onto a ball over the top but his effort was comfortably gathered  by Oisin Burke. Minutes later the point responded with Rss Nichlas breaking up the left and when his crossfield ball picked out Darragh McDermott his shot clipped the crossbar on the way over. Redcastle were on top until the break then with a Brendan Murphy corner clipping the bar on the way over before Hoy latched onto a ball over the top but fired across goal and wide. The home side opened the scoring in the opening minute of the second half after an Eoghan Rafferty free fell kindly in the box to Deaglan Bowen who fired low past Michael McCole from fifteen yards.  Minutes later at the other end a Murphy cross sum shot almost deceived Burke who held well. On the hour Redcastle equalised  when Hoy pounced on a weak  defensive header to bundle the ball past Burke. Play swung to the other end and when McDermott fed John McCloskey his shot also clipped the bar. Redcastle struck for what proved to be the winner on 78 minutes after a free kick into the area took a deflection off a defender for Murphy to slot home from eight yards. The point tried hard in the closing stages  but couldn’t fashion a   clear cut chance  to force extra time and Redcastle advance to a final with Culdaff.

Clonmany Res 0

Culdaff FC 0 Culdaff won 4-3 on pens

In an entertaining game the visitors forced a few early corners but it was the home side who had the first chance on 10 minutes after  Paul McLaughlin released Brian Doherty on the right and his low cross just eluded the inrushing Dessie Doherty.Minutes later Clonmany went close again  Marty Doherty found Mark Mclaughlin on the right hand side but he drove narrowly past the post. Culdaff responded and when Jack Mclaughlin cut inside a defender his effort also drifted just past Kieran Friels right hand post.Play swung to the other end and Dessie Doherty released Mark McLaughlin and his shot on the run was tipped over the bar by Martin McLaughlin in the Culdaff goal.  The visitors had a good spell before the break then with Ryan Greene seeing a header from a corner saved by Kieran Friel before  Greene just failed to get on the end of a Jack O Brien free as the half ended scoreless.  Culdaff had the lions share of the chances in the second half after the opening period was dominated by defences .On 68 minutes a Eugene McLaughlin cross was flicked goalwards by Jack McLaughlin past a stranded Friel but just wide.  Greene then had a poit blank range header from another corner fly straight at Friel who gathered well. On 85 minutes  good work from Bryan McCandless saw him break into the area and slip the ball to Jack Mclaughlin who poked past Friel but Philip Devlin cleared off the line. Then in the final minute Clonmany almost nicked it after a Brian Devlin cross found Dessie Doherty whose volley flew just past the angle of the post and bar to send the game into extra time. In the first period  Culdaff substitute Peter Doherty collected a loose ball and unleashed a twenty five yards effort  but it was straight at Friel. At the other end Dessie Doherty latched  onto a ball over the top but over hit the pass towards Mark McLaughlin and the chance was lost. There were no chances in the second period and thus the penalty shootout ensued. Culdaff advanced to the final with keeper Martin McLaughlin saving two penalties and Jack McLaughlin despatching the  final kick past substitute Kevin McLaughlin to send the Caratra side to the final.

Strand Hotel First Division

Greencastle Youth 2

Glengad   Res 1

Greencastle got off to a great start in the 5th minute when Ryan Brown broke onto a through ball and sent a lovely dink into the top corner. Glengad had a great chance  to get back into the game midway through the half when they had a free kick on the edge of the box  but John G McDermott ‘s  effort go narrowly wide. Ten minutes later Glengad saw a great effort from 25  yards  from Christopher Doherty crash of the crossbar and Greencastle hooked the ball clear. Ten minutes into the second half Conor Gillen won a penalty for Greencastle and Josh Lafferty converted the spot kick into the bottom corner.Within 30 seconds Glengad had responded when from the restart they pushed forward and Paul McGonigle finished the move into the net.With ten  minutes left Greencastle were reduced to ten men after Trever Kane for sent off following a second booking. But five minutes later Glengad were  also reduced to ten men when Liam Doherty was sent off also  for a second yellow. Glengad pushed forward but Greencastle held on for an important win.


Inishowen Engineering Division Two  A  

Carrowmena FC 1

Buncrana Res 4

Buncrana started this crucial league game well and in the 5th minute Stephen McHugh was unlucky to see  his superb strike from the edge of the area crash off the bar. But Carrowmena got on top then and Joshua Gillen saw an effort well saved by Oran McBride in the visitors goal. They spurned a gilt edged chance midway through the half when they were awarded a penalty for handball but Killian Dougal fired wide from the spot. Then on 39 minutes a Michael Henry free kick drew another excellent save from McBride. Buncrana then broke the deadlock against the run of play when Cillian Doherty threaded a pass into the path of Jack Soal who finished well past Kyle Dougal. They then doubled their lead on the stroke of half time after Paul McDaid s cross was not cleared by the home defence and Doherty lobbed the ball over Dougal into the net to leave Buncrana two goals ahead at the interval.  The visitors increased their lead then on the hour mark when Doherty scored his second of the game with a spectacular over head kick following a corner. They  then made it  four nil on 68 minutes when Paul McDaid  fed Soal on the right whose low cross found Christopher McKinley to round the advancing Dougal and  slot home. Carrowmena battled well and reduced the deficit when a Sean Diver shot from the edge of the area was controlled by Michael Henry before turning and shooting low to the net. In the closing minutes Buncrana were awarded a penalty for hand ball but McKinleys effort down the middle was saved by Dougal.

Cockhill Res 3

Illies Res 2

Cockhill started their final home game of the season on the front foot and deservedly took the lead on 15 minutes when Luke Bradley was picked out at the back post by Connor Graham and Luke made no mistake, finishing first time past Graham Doherty low to the keepers right.Cockhill continued to press and made it two nil just before half time when Cockhill’s full back Connor McDaid burst forward and his run was picked out by Mark Gillespie.  Connor’s first time effort was well saved by Graham Doherty but he was on hand to slide home the rebound.  Illies came out strong in the second half, pinning Cockhill back but Darragh O’Donnell, making his first senior start in nets for Cockhill, held firm under pressure. It took Cockhill until midway through the second half to regain some control in the match and extended their lead after good work by Mason McDaid down the right, his cross was flicked on by Sean Bradley and Jay Bradley was sharply on it to slot  home from  six yards. Illies set up a tense finish when Ronan Hegarty found space in the box from a corner rifling high into the roof of the net to give Illies hope with five minutes left. Deep into injury time Ronan Hegarty pulled another one back for Illies with a strong header at the back post from a deep free kick but Cockhill saw out the game for a hard earned win .


Carn  Res 5

Sea Rovers 2

Sea Rovers had  an early chance  when Tiernan Stevens pass from midfield found Andrew Gallagher who rounded the defender  but his low effort was well saved by Daniel McDaid in the Carn goal. Carn responded when Liam Mc Weeney broke on the right  and crossed for Kyran Cantwell  but Ben Collins in the Rovers goal saved well. Carn broke the deadlock on 12 minutes after Jamie Diver broke on the right , beat a  defender and his shot from 12 yards came off the  post but he got the rebound and squared it for Cantwell who slotted it home from  six yards. They made it two nil midway through the half with a Tiernan Doherty corner headed to the top corner by Denim Mclaughlin. Sea Rovers  pulled one back on 32 minutes when Declan McGonagle  broke on the right  and  crossed for Conor McGeoghgan who laid it off  to  Andrew Gallagher who shot low to the  corner.But  Carn made it three one  a minute later after McWeeney made a great run on the right  and beat a  defender  before laying it off  for Conor McLaughlin who drove a powerful shot past Collins from outside the 18 yards to the top right corner of the net. They got another goal  a minute later when Denim McLaughlin got on the end of a loose ball and went on a great run beating the defender and shot high to the top of the net from 15 yards.  Rovers  went close  in the 55th minute  when Oisin McGonigle passed to Declan McGonigle who  crossed it for McGeoghegan  but he failed to hit the target when well placed inside the area.  At the other end Conan Gibbons fed Cantwell who fired narrowly wide before  Carn made it five one after Conor McLaughlin pass from midfield sent  McWeeney one on one with Collins before shooting low to the bottom right corner of the net from 10 yards. Rovers got a consolations  second goal when  sub Conor Gallagher went on a great run on the left wing and crossed to Andrew Gallagher who shot to the top left corner  of the net from 15 yards to complete the scoring.


Inishowen Engineering Division Two    B   

Aileach Youths 1

Moville Res 1

This top of the table clash ended in stalemate and with only three or four games to go these sides meet again on Good Friday in Moville. Defeat for either would have dealt their title hopes a huge blow. Moville took an early lead after a powerful Daniel McFadden effort as well parried by Dylan Clarke in the home goal but Conor Lafferty slotted the rebound home. Aileach responded with Stephen Doherty crossing for Dillon  McGrory  but he failed to hit the target when well placed. At the other end a Lafferty cross found Conor Farren twelve yards out but he fired wide.  Aileach equalised on the stroke of half time after good work from Doherty on the right and his cross was headed home by McGrory past Stephen Teles. Aileach started the second half on top and had chances through Doherty who failed to control from close range  and McGrory sliced wide when  well placed. Moville responded on 78 minutes  with a John McGeady effort  from twenty yards clipping the crossbar . In the closing stages Aileach had a late half chance to snatch the points when the ball fell to Doherty inside the area but he fired over the bar.