Match Reports Friday Night 26th August

Inishowen Football League Fixtures  2022-23

Friday 26th  August

Clubman Shirts League Cup 

Greencastle FC 3

Illies Celtic 1

Greencastle started on the front foot and Seamus McLaughlin drew a good save from Johnathan Noone before Oran Kennedy saw an effort blocked.

Illies responded with Sean McCallion breaking in to the area but denied  by the advancing keeper before Michael Doherty fired into the side netting after good work from Liam Grant. McCallion then came closest to breaking the deadlock on the half hour when he raced onto a ball over the top , headed over the advancing keeper but Michael Barr recovered to clear. Before the break the home side had a Gerry Gill free well gathered by Noone and then saw a Nathan Harkin shot also saved by Noone as the half ended scoreless.  The home side made the break through on 53 minutes when Gill curled a superb twenty five yards free to the top corner giving Noone no chance. Illies responded and got back on terms when Michael Doherty raced clear and although his initial effort was blocked he fired the rebound home.  But the home side regained the lead on 66 minutes after Kennedy fed Brendan McClenaghan on the right who beat a defender and whipped in a delightful cross for Conor Gillen to head to the top corner. Illies kept probing and Liam Grant went close on a couple of occasions.  But in the closing stages the home side sealed victory after Gillen and Kennedy combined to find James Henry who controlled superbly before slotting home from eight yards.



Cockhill Youths 2

Aileach FC 4

Aileach claimed a 4-2 away victory at the Charlie O’Donnells Sports Grounds on Friday evening and with that eliminated Cockhill Celtic Youth from this years Clubman Shirts League Cup at the group stage. Aileach started on the front foot and controlled the game in the opening exchanges but as the home side weathered the early pressure, they started to put a few passes together and play their way into the game. After 20 minutes Cockhill keeper Eoin Colhoun made a wonderful save to deny Dermot Doherty a near certain goal after he somehow clawed the ball away from the goal line before defender Noone cleared. The visitors opened the scoring on 26 minutes when Shane McMonagle shot low to the corner from outside the area giving keeper Colhoun no chance as he dived to his right. Cockhill responded well and levelled matters on 29 minutes after a corner from the left by Conor Graham into the six-yard box found its way to the net past the Aileach keeper Matthew Gallagher. Aileach responded well and scored two quick fire goals on 34 & 36 minutes to move ahead 3-1. Dermot Doherty put the visitors 2-1 up on 34 minutes when he received a pass on the left of midfield from Shane McMonagle to advance into an area just outside the 18-yard box an shoot right footed across the keeper to the far corner. Only 2 minutes later and the home side found themselves further behind when Jordan McGeady made a dart down the right flank and as he got his head up, just outside the corner of the 18-yard box, his cross-cum-shot caught out Colhoun at his near post to nestle in the back of the net. The home side suffered a further blow on the stroke of halftime when a Dermot Doherty corner was headed home unchallenged from six yards out by Darren Bradley.Cockhill had the better start to the second period putting their opponents under more pressure all over the pitch and then playing some good football when in possession. They got a goal back on 65 minutes when they were awarded a penalty after the visiting keeper Gallagher was adjudged to have fouled Cockhill’s Darragh McDermott after he tried to control a chipped pass into the box. McDermott took the penalty himself slotting it to the bottom corner sending Gallagher the other way. Cockhills substitute Paul Duffy then had a dribble into the box on the left only for his final effort to be saved at the near post by Gallagher.

As Cockhill pushed forward taking more chances they got caught a few times on the counter but the Aileach forwards let them off the hook a few times with some poor decisions. A Conor Graham free kick on 78 minutes was destined to nestle in the bottom corner only for  smart save by Gallagher diving low to his left pushing the ball away for a corner that was delivered into a crowded area only to be cleared by the head of Thomas McMonagle Aileach closed the game out in the final five minutes to set up the group deciding game with Buncrana on Sunday.


Clonmany Shamrocks 0

Glengad United 1

In what was a tightly fought encounter played in bright sunshine Glengad had the best of the early exchanges with Terence Doherty going close in the 3rd minute but shooting over the bar. Clonmany goalkeeper Paddy Harkin was called into action in the 19th minute when he saved another Terence Doherty shot at his near post. Glengad should have opened the scoring two minutes later when the ball broke to James McKinney in space on the right hand side of the box but his low shot went across the face of the goal and wide of the far post without anyone getting a telling touch. Clonmany’s midfield gradually came up to the speed of the game and as the half came to a close they created a couple of chances of their own. In the 38th minute Arron Harkin received a pass on the left hand side of the box and drove in towards goal but Glengad keeper Ciaran Gallagher was out smartly to smother his shot. Arron was again involved in the 43rd minute when he won a free-kick on the halfway line. It was taken quickly allowing Aaron Porter to break down the left wing and deliver a cross into the box which Ciaran Gallagher clutched in a scramble of players at his near post. Just as it looked as if the half would end even a quick pass forward caught Clonmany appealing for an offside but Joe Doherty had timed his run perfectly and was able to take a touch before steering the ball home to the bottom right hand corner to give Glengad the lead at the break.

The second half was a lot tighter with both teams tiring somewhat but not creating many clear chances. Clonmany made some substitutions to try and find an equaliser but were unable to find any space from the well marshalled Glengad defence. With the match drawing to a close Glengad had one last chance to extend their lead when a cross found Stephen Harley in space on the right of the box but Paddy Harkin was out smartly to save at his feet. Glengad forced two late corners and used these to help run down the clock and see out the match to record the win.


Charlie O Donnell Cup

Redcastle United 0


The visitors started this game on the front foot with both Josh Boyle and Ross Nicholas firing efforts just over the bar in the opening quarter of an hour. The home side responded then with a good move which saw Shaun Curran feed Stephen Grant on the right and his cross was met by Brendan Murphy  but he fired narrowly wide. The Point regained control of the game  and when Sean McIntyre found Sean McColgan his well struck shot was saved by Michael McCole. They took the lead then on 29 minutes after Boyle found Nicholas in space and he despatched a twenty five yards effort to the top  right hand corner of the net. The same players combined on the stroke of half time  for Nicholas to race clear of the home defence and drill low past the advancing McCole. Redcastle upped the tempo on the restart and Murphy and Darragh McConway were both of target with efforts before the hour mark. Good interplay then between Curran and Grant  set up McConway but this time his effort was saved by Oisin Burke in the point goal. The point had the final chance of the game late on when Reece McGilloway beat a defender and crossed  for Mark Murray whose first time effort was well saved by McCole as the  Point recorded a two nil victory.


Dunree United 2

Aileach Res 2

Both teams started at a high tempo with Jamie Brosnan going closest for Dunree. At the other end Dunree keeper was forced into two quick fire saves from Aileach forward Stephen Doherty. A short corner routine by Dunreein the 19th minute saw Liam Baldrick head home the opening goal  with the ball going in off the cross bar.  But Aileach equalized 5 minutes later after  a Dunree clearance ricocheted into the path of Benny Hegarty who scored from close range. Aileach dominated the remaining minutes of the first half and got there second goal when Pol McGrory rose to meet corner and headed in at the backpost. Dunree started the second half brightly however a well organized Aileach defence kept them at bay. Dunree had a penalty shout waved away when Bernard Doherty went down under a challenge  in the box. Aileach played on the break for much the second half and Anthony Doherty blazed over when well placed. Dunree forced a corner injury time and Mark Moran floated the ball in for Liam Baldrick to rise unchallenged at the back post to head in the equalizer. Aileach went on the attack straight from the centre and forced a free kick that was well saved by Adam Harrigan in the Dunree goal as Dunree snatched a point that  sees them qualify for the semi finals.

Buncrana Res 2

Clonmany  Res 0

There was a cagey start to this game with a youthful home side  coming up against a very  experienced visitors. Chances were few and far between in the opening half. The home side came closest to scoring on 42 minutes  after Hugh Aaron McGonagle went  past a defender and slipped the ball to Michael Doherty who’s shot from the edge of the box beat Friel but struck the post and was cleared for a corner. The Hearts went in front on 49 minutes 

once again great play from McGonagle to set up Eoin McNamee who fired beyond Friel into the bottom left hand corner. McNamee almost made it two when he cut in from the left and curled a lovely right footed shot past Friel only to see it smack the post. The visitors almost drew level ten minutes later with  Paul Doherty hitting the post from 12 yards with O’Doherty beaten. McNamee did make it two on 67 minutes this time he cut back onto his right foot and from 23 yards he curled a beautiful shot beyond Friel to make the game safe.