Match Reports Easter Sunday

Inishowen Football League

Tuesday 11th April

Charlie O Donnell Cup  Quarter Final    7pm

Aileach FC                              4

Buncrana Hearts                1

Buncrana were out of the blocks quickly and were ahead within 5 minutes a Ryan Curran cross going in off an Aileach head. The home side responded well and were unlucky not to be level on 10 minutes when first of all Caomhin McFeely had a header from close range go narrowly wide and a minute later Jordan McGeedy pulled his shot from the edge of the box just past Eoin O’Doherty’s right hand post. Aileach continued to press and got a deserved equaliser on 28 minutes when a Jordan McGeedy corner was turned home by Anthony Doherty from six yards past the stranded Eoin O’Doherty

The early stages of the second half followed a similar pattern to the first with Aileach giving the Buncrana defence a serious examination and they took the lead on 55 minutes when another Jordan McGeedy corner was helped on by Cathal McElhinney for Gavin Doherty to head home from six yards high past O’Doherty. Buncrana made a couple of changes at this stage bringing on Ben Bradley and Pat Loughrey which  gave them more energy and resulted in them pinning Aileach back  forcing Cathal McElhinney and Damian Barr to work overtime to keep Aileach’s nose in front. On 70 minutes Aileach increased their advantage when Gavin Doherty picked the ball up twenty yards out, steadied and curled a delightful shot past the despairing dive of O’Doherty and into the bottom left corner. On 80 minutes Aileach completed the scoring when Anthony Doherty was fouled in the box and he got up to fire the spot kick low to O’Doherty’s right to book a semi final berth.

Good Friday 14th April

Jackie Crossan Premier Division                    

Carn FC                         0

Glengad United           0

This local derby was  a close well contested affair  and Carn succeeded where many others have failed this season in keeping Glengad scoreless.  Glengad as expected dominated a lot of the possession but failed to create real clear cut chances. In the third minute a misplaced pass by a Carn defender fell to Michael Byrne but he fired well over the bar  from sixteen yards.  Carn defended deep in the opening half  but Kyle Dougal comfortably saved long range efforts from Nigel McMonagle and Seamus Doherty. The second half followed a similar pattern with Ryan Kelly and Conor Doherty outstanding at the heart of the home defence. The best chance of the half for Glengad saw a James McKinney cross find Byrne who under pressure headed narrowly over the bar. Glengad were dealt a blow in the latter stages when Byrne was red carded.

Culdaff FC                     3

Greencastle  FC            0

In an entertaining game Culdaff had an early chance when John G McDermott released Bryan McCandless on the right and  his early effort was well blocked by the advancing Stephen Henry. Greencastle replied and after a flowing move Joe Doherty fed Sean Cavanagh and when his effort was blocked by the legs of Darragh McLaughlin the ball looped up in the air but Paul McLaughlin headed clear before James Henry fired a long range free over the bar. Culdaff had a purple patch then until half time with Eugene McLaughlin stabbing wide from close range on 33minutes. Minutes later they broke the deadlock when Dillon Ruddy released McDermott whose first time cross was swept home with his right foot by Brendan McLaughlin from eight yards. Eugene McLaughlin then raced onto a Brendan McLaughlin pas but fired just over before Brendan McLaughlin twisted and turned but saw his effort saved by Henry. Greencastle had a glorious chance in the opening minutes of the second period when Joe Doherty beat the offside trap and raced clear but was denied by a superb Ryan Greene tackle. On 58 minutes a superb effort from Brendan McLaughlin came back off the post  to Eugene McLaughlin but with the goal at his mercy he blazed wildly over. Brendan McLaughlin then headed at Henry from point blank range before McCandless robbed a defender and advanced before drilling across Henry but just wide. On 83 minutes Greencastle had a great chance to level when James Henry  played Matthew Henry through but McLaughlin advanced to block. Culdaff sealed the points on 87 minutes when a superb interception by substitute Niall McLaughlin fed fellow substitute Aiden Cunningham who drilled superbly past Henry from twenty yards. In injury time Eugene McLaughlin ‘s low cross was turned home by Cunningham to complete the scoring.

Clonmany Shamrocks          1

Buncrana Hearts                    2

Buncrana  put themselves tight into title contention with this narrow win over fellow rivals Clonmany. The Hearts had an early chance on 5 minutes when a Liam McCarron twenty yards effort which was turned round the post at full stretch by Patrick Harkin. The only other incident of note in the half  came when Kevin O Loughlin collided with his own keeper Eoin O Doherty which saw both able to continue after treatment. The deadlock was broken on 49 minutes by the visitors when Harkin parried a cross but substitute Ben Bradley fired the loose ball home. Clonmany substitute Jamie Coyle made an immediate impact when he was upended in the area but suffered an injury in the process. Patrick Harkin converted the penalty high to the keepers right to equalise. Indecision in the home defence saw Oisin O Flaherty pounce on a pass back  but he dragged his effort wide when well placed. In a similar position on 82 minutes O’Flaherty pounced on an under hit back pass to round Harkin and slot home. Clonmany spurned a gilt edged chance late on after Paul McLaughlin’s free was flicked on by Jack Doherty for Mark McLaughlin unmarked but from twelve yards he ballooned over the bar.

Inishowen Engineering Division Two  A     

Illies Res                       0

Buncrana Res               2

This result ensures that Buncrana will be guaranteed a play off for the league title at the very least as one point in their final game will seal the title and promotion. Opening exchanges were fairly even in this local derby encounter. Illies had a couple of have chances in the opening 5 minutes but failed to hit the target. Buncrana had the better of possession thereafter and had two very good chances to take the lead the second of which drew a brilliant reaction save from Graham Doherty. Buncrana broke the deadlock just before half time courtesy of a penalty which was calmly fired home by Brendan Murphy.  The second have followed a similar pattern with both teams having spells of possession. Again Illies did not create any clear cut chances and were grateful for another superb save from Graham Doherty midway through the half. Illies tried to push forward in search of an equaliser but were caught out on 80 minutes when a long ball up the middle was not dealt with by the home defence to leave Christopher McKinley to roll the ball into the net.


Gleneely Colts              3

Moville Res                  3

Gleneely salvaged a point and in the process gave themselves a chance to force a league title play off when they play Buncrana on Sunday. Moville had the first chance in the opening minute when Kevin McDermott released Norbert Indyka but his fifteen yards effort was well saved by Adrian Duffy low to his right. Gleneely responded and broke the deadlock on 5 minutes after Christy Smith fed Nathan McLaughlin and he drilled low past Ryan Coyle from ten yards. A surging Cory O Brien run took him into the visitors penalty area and when he squared Paul Canny somehow failed to convert from close range. Moville then equalised on the stroke of half time after a goalmouth scramble McDermott poked home. Five minutes after the restart Moville took the lead when McDermott pounced on a corner to fire low to the corner.Gleneely replied and Joe McLaughlin fired over before the same player fed Smith who rounded keeper Coyle and fired high to the net. But again Moville came back and on 81 minutes Kyle Harkin despatched a twenty yards effort into the bottom corner for a superb goal. Gleneely’s never say die attitude saw them earn a point and keep their title hopes alive when in the final minute Smith found Nathan McLaughlin inside the area and he fired high past Coyle from fifteen yards.



Jackie Crossan Premier Division

Glengad United                     1

Clonmany Shamrocks           0

Glengad fully deserved their three points but their wastefulness in front of goal almost cost them. Nigel McMonagle had an early curling effort parried by Patrick Harkin before Stephen McLaughlin fed Terence Doherty who turned well but fired over the angle of the post and bar. Clonmanys first chance came on 16 minutes after a mark McLaughlin free was headed out to Philip Devlin whose twenty yards volley flashed just over the bar. Glengad spurned their best chance on 21 minutes after Patrick McDermott split the Clonmany defence for Doherty to race clear but he miscued badly and fired well wide. Doherty made amends on 29 minutes when McDermott fed James McKinney on the right and he beat a player and drilled low across goal where Doherty swept the ball low past Harkin from eight yards for a superb goal. Clonmany upped the tempo and Paddy Doherty saw an attempted lob drift wide before Mark Mclaughlin’s driven free was  gathered at the second attempt by Kevin McLaughlin. Before the break McMonagle laid the ball across to Doherty whose first time effort drew a superb save low to his right by Harkin. Clonmany tried hard in the second half but Glengad on the break had a lot of chances.On the hour mark Doherty raced clear and as he attempted to cross Jake Harkin made a brilliant interception. Minutes later Adam Byrne headed a corner back to Doherty who volleyed over on his left foot. Doherty then broke clear on 80 minutes on the left and ran into the box but Harkin blocked well  before the same player advanced into the area and over hit the pass to the unmarked McDermott. McDermott then saw a well hit effort whistle pass the left hand post as Glengad tried to kill the game off. Then in injury time Clonmany almost snatched a point when a powerful driven Paul McLaughlin free was brilliantly turned round his right hand post by Kevin McLaughlin. Glengad now need one point from their remaining two games.

Buncrana Hearts                   3

Greencastle FC                      2

Buncrana Hearts made sure the league title will go to the wire as they defeated Greencastle in an entertaining game. They began well and when Declan Fullerton collected visiting keeper Stephen Hendry’s kick out he returned it to the net from twenty five yards to give the home side a dream start. But midway through the half good wrk by Matthew Henry for the visitors saw him feed Christy Hegarty and he fired a stunning effort to the top corner. On 34 minutes the visitors took the lead when Henry advanced past two defenders into the area before finishing well to the corner.Minutes into the second half a brilliant James Henry effort from over thirty yards crashed back off the bar in a real let off for the home side. But the home side rallied and equalised on 73 minutes when Bart Wesoloski was on hand to tap home after Henry had parried a Kevin O’Loughlin effort. Buncrana sealed the points on 81 minutes when Stephen McHugh converted a penalty awarded after Wesoloski was upended in the area.

Hannon Greene Insurances Fr O Gara Cup Semi Finals     

Moville Celtic               2

Aileach Res                  1       AET

Moville Celtic came from behind in Glencrow to set up a mouth watering final clash with league champions Illies Celtic. Aileach started well and were unlucky on 8 minutes after Stephen Doherty fed Ciaran Craig whose effort crashed off the bar with Sean McGuinness stranded. Moville had a good spell after this with Charlie Gill seeing an effort saved by David McGeady before Finn McLaughlin fired narrowly wide and Ryan Killen poked wide after a scramble with the goal at his mercy. Somewhat against the run of play the visitors took the lead on 33 minutes when a throw in fell to Ruairi Bradley on the edge of the area and he fired to the roof of the net. On the stroke of half time Moville almost levelled after Gill’s effort took a deflecion and was parried by McGeady but rolled just past the post.

Moville began the second period well and on the hour got back on terms after McLaughlin’s effort from distance  took a deflection off a defender and fell nicely for PJ Barr to slot home. The home side continued to press and Michael McNaught broke clear but was denied by the legs of McGeady before a McNaught cross found Declan McGuinness but his effort was blocked. Aileach almost nicked it late on when Bradley released Stephen Doherty but he fired just over. Moville took the lead in the first period of extra time after a James Gillen free found the unmarked Finn McLaughlin to slot home. Aileach pressed hard in the second period but the closest they came was when Stephen Doherty was denied by the outstretched arm of McGuinness as he bore down on goal.

Illies Celtic                    5

Clonmany Res              0

Illies were on top for large spells and got off to a great start in the opening minute when Martin Coyle broke on the left and saw his effort deflect off a defender and looped over Liam McGonigle into the net.  Illies continued on top but had few chances until 39th minute when JP Donaghey charged down a defensive clearance and fired to the roof of the net. Clonmany had a great chance early in the second half after Dean Kelly crossed for Jack Doherty but he volleyed over from twelve yards. Illies made it three nil on 57  minutes when Michael Coyle pounced on a loose ball to fire low to the corner from the edge of the area. Coyle made it four nil when he raced onto a Paddy Doherty pass before sidestepping a defender and firing low to the corner. Coyle completed his hat trick on 88 minutes when he beat two defenders and fired high to the corner from sixteen yards.

Inishowen Engineering Division Two  A    

Buncrana Res               3

Gleneely Res                    4

Gleneely insured that these two teams will have to meet again to decide Division 2A champions when they edged this entertaining and sometimes feisty match. If Hearts were slow out of the traps, Gleneely showed that they were really up for the match and Hearts keeper Cathal Mc Nutt had to be alert to save Evan O’ Brien’s shot after he had been set up by his brother Corey. On ten minutes Gleneely took the lead, from a corner on the left taken by Dillon Mc Daid Hearts failed to clear their lines and John Doherty was on hand to tap the ball home from five yards. Fifteen minutes later Hearts should been on level terms but Alan Friel managed to head over a great John Timlin cross. Then on thirty five minutes another Mc Daid corner to the back post, Hearts failed to challenge in the air and John Mc Dermott headed Gleneely’s second from close range. Hearts’ manager Tony O’ Loughlin must have been delighted to hear the halftime whistle so he could address the problems his team was having.

Two minutes into the second half Hearts pulled a goal back, Alan Friel’s deft near post header giving Gleneely keeper Duffy no chance. Fifteen minutes later Paul Mc Daid scored Hearts equalizer and it was now Gleneely who were under the cosh. This situation was relieved when Corey O’ Brien picked up the ball in his own half, evaded three desperate tackles before he was taken down for a penalty which Nathan Mc Laughlin coolly dispatched. Hearts went all out in search of another equalizer and were caught on the counter attack by Corey O’ Brien who picked out an unmarked Eddie Mc Namee who gave keeper Mc Nutt no chance. For the remainder of the match Gleneely were under siege. Keeper Duffy somehow pushed Benny Murphy’s glancing header out for corner. Soon after this he pushed Quigley’s long range effort onto the bar and out for another corner.

He was again in action when he saved James Adair’s free kick only for it to fall to Paul Mc Daid to get his second of the match. The match finished with all the Hearts’ player up for a final corner which Gleneely scrambled clear and the fulltime whistle gave them all three points and means these two teams will have to go through all over again.