Match Reports 5th March

Oscar Traynor Inter League Quarter Final 

Inishowen                    2

Roscommon                1

Inishowen advanced to their fifth successive  semi final in the Oscar Traynor Trophy thanks to goals from Mathew Byrne and Anthony Doherty in a tough encounter against a resilient

Roscommon side. The opening 10 minutes was  a fairly even affair  but Inishowen took the lead on the 14th minute when Mathew Byrne advanced on the left and from close to thirty yards out fired a sweet left footed shot past Noel Fallon in the Roscommon net. Shortly afterwards after good build up on the left Aiden Friel fired a left footed volley narrowly wide while after a corner broke to Matthew Henry his low effort was blocked by the legs of Fallon. There were few chances for the remainder of the half  but  Roscommon’s  Des Hope got his head to a Darragh Concannon free but directed it wide. In the 48th min Roscommon’s Gregory Grogan had a free saved by Kevin Mc Laughlin in the home net but at the other end  two minutes later Anthony Doherty picked out Matty Henry but he shot over when well placed .Roscommon equalised in bizzarre fashion when David O’ Brien’s shot came off the base of the upright straight back to O’ Brien again and his driven effort was saved by Mc Laughlin but the linesman’s flag was raised and to everyone’s amazement a goal was awarded, Inishowen rallied and regained the lead on 57 minutes when  Brendan Mc Laughlin picked out Anthony Doherty on the edge of the area and he drove low across the keeper to  restore Inishowen’s lead .Roscommon tried to respond and on 73 minutes Ronan Curran brought a fine save from Mc Laughlin from a Garry Canavan cross. Inishowen had another great chance on 80 minutes after Benny Mc Laughlin’s free was only parried by Fallon to Matty Henry his cross back across the box narrowly missed the inrushing Terence Doherty .Roscommon were reduced to ten men when Concannon was shown a straight red card . Inishowen had another gilt edged chance when McLaughlin fed Terence Doherty who bore down on goal but fired across the face of goal and wide. Overall while Inishowen will be delighted to have advanced to the semi finals again they know they will have to lift their level of performance in the next game.


Kevin Mc Laughlin, Shaun Doherty, Mathew Byrne, Michael Byrne, John Gerard Mc Laughlin, Shane Canning, Anthony Doherty, Mathew Henry, Brendan Mc Laughlin, Aiden Friel.

Subs: Ryan Kelly, Gavin Doherty(for Brendan McLaughlin 88) Jason Devlin, Liam Doherty, William Mc Laughlin, Darragh Mc Laughlin


Noel Fallon, Gary Concannon, Jack Higgins, Enda Higgins, Joe Woods, Domnick Blaigh, Des Hope, Gregory Grogan, Peter Farrell, Darragh Concannon, Ronan Curren.

Subs: David O’ Brien, Andy Higgins, Cormac Clogher, Tommy Hurley, Ronan Manion

Inishowen Engineering Division Two  A    11am  

Gleneely Colts              4

Glengad  Res                0

Played in perfect conditions, Gleneely took the lead on 3 minutes when a throw on the right by Eddie McNamee was knocked on by Corey O’Brien to Nathan Mclaughlin to score from close range.
A minute later they made it two after Dylan McDaid advanced on the right and chipped Ronan Lafferty from twenty five yards to the top corner. With there tails up, Gleneely made it 3-0 in the tenth minute when a corner in from the right by Nathan McLaughlin was flicked home at close range by John Doherty. Glengads first chance fell to John McDaid who struck the crossbar from a free from twenty yards but the ball was cleared to safety. Minutes later, a  McDaid corner caused confusion in the home goal but Adrian Duffy managed to claim the ball at the second attempt.
Gleneely made it four on the half hour when a throw in down the right by Chris McCormack was flicked home from close range by Corey O’Brien passed Ronan Lafferty. Glengad had another chance when Mark Smiths ball, released PJ McDaid, but a combination of John Doherty and Adrian Duffy, deflected his effort for a corner.

In the second half, Glengad started the brighter and John McDaid has another free  tipped over the bar by Duffy. Another chance fell to the away side when  Smiths shot was deflected wide. The resulting corner was cleared off the line by Ciaran White, only to hit PJ McDaid and go over the cross bar. Glengad were awarded a penalty when Jordon O’Brien brought down Paddy McDermott. Up stepped PJ McDaid to hammer his penalty off the cross bar and the ball was cleared to safety by the home defence. The last chance fell to Gleneely when Corey O’brien broke from midfield, sent Gavin mclaughlin clear, but he scuffed his shot and went wide.
Moville Res                  2

Greencastle  Res         1

The home team hit the front in the second minute when Kevin Mc Dermott was on hand to convert a Kyle Harkin cross into the box and they had a chance to increase the lead but Graeme Doherty’s header from close in was just over. The visitors first attempt of note came from Shaun Downey but Ryan Coyle made a good save. Moville doubled their advantage after half an hour when Colin Doherty’s cross was volleyed home by Ryan Mc Colgan. Greencastle almost reduced the deficit before the interval but Daniel Rowan was out of luck when his 25 yard shot was tipped over by Coyle. Moville pushed hard in the early stages of the second half. A Mc Dermott shot was saved by Pauric Doherty and then James Gillen failed to score after being set up by Nathan Harkin. Greencastle got back into the game midway through the second half when Eunan Mc Daid, at the back post, got on the end of an Oran Mc Dermott free. And the visitors held the advantage for the remainder of the match without creating many clear cut chances with Moville holding out for the win.

Inishowen Engineering Division Two  B     

Rasheney Res              0

Cockhill Res                  5

In a whirlwind start Cockhill struck for two goals in the first four minutes. In their first attack Tristan Donaghey ran onto an over the top ball and fired past advancing keeper Kieran O’Neill.  When a needless free kick was conceded shortly afterwards Ryan Duffy’s effort from just outside the area found the net. In the eleventh minute Rasheney’s Cory Mc Bride advanced along the left and cut inside but his shot was saved by the Cockhill keeper. Nathan Mc Connellogue then had two good attempts over the bar. However, Cockhill continued to dominate with Duffy dictating matters in the middle of the field and it was no surprise that the visitors increased their lead in the forty-fourth minute when Jude Mullan headed a corner kick to the top corner. Two minutes after half time Shaun Donaghey side-footed a corner kick to the net for the goal of the match.  Martin Mc Dermott rounded off the scoring with an unstoppable shot from twenty-five yards as the visitors deservedly claimed all three points.

Culdaff Res                   5

Dunree Res                  2

Culdaff had the first chance when Aiden Cunningham dispossessed a defender and fed Brian McCandles who fired wide when well placed. Dunree responded and Stephen McLaughlin headed over when well placed before a defensive error allowed Neil Moran square for David Doherty who was denied by a brilliant save from Callum Doherty. Ciaran Doherty then headed over for the visitors before Dunree took the lead on  38 minutes when Moran raced onto a good through ball to chip the advancing Doherty. But the home side got back on terms on 53 minutes when Matthew Mullarkey fed John G McDermott and his cross was slotted home by Bryan McCandless. They took the lead on 65 minutes after Mullarkey’s cross fell to Martin Keddy who rifled home from ten yards.Dunree responded and Conor Doherty had an effort superbly tipped over by Callum Doherty before the same player fired to the corner from twenty yards to level the game.But Culdaff regained the lead on 76 minutes when great work by Cunningham ended with his effort deflected into the path of McDermott and he fired home from twelve yards. They increased their lead when Jack McLaughlin played a neat one two with Brian McCandless before advancing and squaring the ball to McCandless to slot home his second of the game. McCandless then completed his hat trick after Michael McFadden fed Cunningham and he crossed for McCandless to slot home.

Aileach Youths             9

Carn Res                       1      

Aileach flew out of the blocks and took the lead after two minutes when  Patrick Curran outpaced the Carn defence and fired past Dean Mason to open the scoring.  Carn almost equalised moments later when Dermot Doherty found space in the box but Dylan Clarke saved superbly.  Aileach doubled their lead when Curran again raced clear from a Darren McMonagle pass and although Mason blocked his initial attempt, Curran reacted first to score from ten yards.  Clarke had to come to the rescue again for Aileach when he got down low to save from Dayton Cooke.  Aileach added another after 15 minutes when Paul McHugh cut inside and fired into the far corner.  Aileach continued to press and came close with shots from Darren  Mc Monagle and Callum Porter.  Carn pulled a goal back ten minutes before half time when Cade Cooke released Dermot Doherty and he lobbed Clarke to reduce the arrears.  Aileach started the second half on the front foot and increased their lead to 4-1 when Darren McMonagle found space in the box and fired into the bottom corner.  Aileach continued to push and substitute Keith McColgan fired a cross that Curran side footed into the bottom corner to completehis hat trick.  Minutes later McColgan was upended and McMonagle slotted the penalty into the bottom corner to make the score six one.  Late goals from McHugh, McDaid and McMonagle to complete his hat trick completed the scoring.