Match Reports 4th Dec

Inishowen Football League 4th December

FAI   Junior Cup

Crumlin United            3

Glengad United           0

Glengads dream of matching or bettering last seasons run came to an end in Dublin in a close encounter.

Following an quiet opening Glengad took control of the game with the first chance on 15 minutes when  a Matthew Byrne free came of a defender but home keeper Mike Quinn made a great save to get it over the bar. On 20 minutes  a good ball over the top from Shane Canning sent  Terence Doherty in between defender and keeper to head it over the on rushing Mike Quinn  but it came of the post and went wide. On the half hour  Nigel McMonagle  broke down the left pulling the ball back to Paddy Mc Dermott on edge of area but his shot went narrowly wide. Crumlin were a different team in second half and took lead on 55 minutes when  Ian Touhy took out two defenders to set up Calvin Rodgers to shoot low to bottom corner. They went two up 3 minutes latter after Davis Bracken set up Ian Touhy to a one on one with Kevin McLaughlin  and he lifted ball over keeper from 12 yards. With Glengad pushing hard it became three nil on 75 minutes when  David Bracken pounced on a long ball and slide the ball under the advancing McLaughlin.

Ulster Junior  Cup

Cootehill Harps            1

Illies Celtic                    3

Illies started well and were out of luck when Paddy Doherty unleashd an effort from twenty yards which crashed off the bar. They were dealt a blow on 11 minutes when after a melee in the visitors area Cootehill opened the scoring. Illies responded with Dominic Coyle, JP Donaghey and Stephen Doherty all going close. In the second half Cootehill increased their lead when a low cross came off a defender and went past Johnathan Noone. The home side added a third with a cross cum shot that nestled in the far top corner before Illies reduced the deficit after David Doherty beat three men before unleashing an effort which was parried and Shane Devlin slotted home. Illies had another chance when Devlin saw his effort smothered at the second attempt.

Buncrana Hearts                   1

Kilmacrennan Celtic             3

An understrength Buncrana side were no match for a slick Kilmacrennan on a perfect Maginn Park surface on Wednesday night.

The Hearts started well and on 5 minutes Stephen McHugh fired narrowly wide. But it was the brilliance of Corey Wilson in the Hearts goal who kept Kilmacrennan at bay as he made two superb saves to deny  Christy Dillon and Caolan McDaid. A defensive error in the hearts defence on 38 minutes allowed Dillon to open the scoring giving Wilson no chance. On 55 minutes the unmarked Ryan Shields headed home a free kick from twelve yards to make it two nil. Buncrana rallied and reduced the deficit on 74 minutes when Stephen McHugh fired home from the edge of the area. But on 82 minutes Caolan McDaid wrapped things up when he beat three defenders before firing low past Wilson.

Aileach FC                    3

Cranford United          0

After an even opening Aileach took the lead after 20minutes when a Darren Mc Monagle free was turned past Sean Gallagher from six yards by Ciaran McGrory. Cranford replied and Philip Buchanan rattled the bar with a fine strike from the edge of the area before the same player saw a free kick well saved low to his right by John Roulstone. But Aileach regained the supremacy and made it two nil when Thomas McMonagle found Jordan McGeady to fire high past Gallagher from twelve yards.  Aileach dominated long periods of the second period but had few chances. On 55minutes Thomas McMonagle and Darren Gallagher combined but the former ‘s effort lacked power to trouble Gallagher. They eventually got a third on 75 minutes when Stephen McKendry beat a man and crossed for McGrory to glance a header past Gallagher from eight yards.

QPS                                2

Culdaff FC                     5

Culdaff advanced to the next round of the Ulster Junior Cup with a win over Quigley’s Point Swifts in Muff.

The away side opened their account in the second minute. Darren Mullarkey’s long free-kick into the Swifts penalty area was palmed away by keeper Oisin Burke, but Michael Coyle was on hand to finish from eight yards. Quigley’s Point equalized three minutes later when Karl Donnelly sprinted through the Culdaff defence to latch on to Denim McLaughlin’s through ball and finish into the bottom left corner. On seventeen minutes, Chris Montieth had an effort well saved by Culdaff keeper Darragh McLaughlin. Eugene McLaughlin should have restored the visitors lead on twenty-two minutes, but he sliced his shot over the bar from six yards. The game continued at a fast pace for the rest of the half. Point defender Brian McColgan headed straight McLaughlin after a good free-kick from Sean Martin, while Denim McLaughlin’s shot was deflected just wide after Connor Barron won the ball deep in the Culdaff half. At the other end, a long diagonal pass from midfielder William Hutchinson was brilliantly controlled by Eugene McLaughlin but his left-footed effort went wide. On thirty-eight minutes, Donnelly had a good chance to put the hosts in front after being played through by Martin, but McLaughlin made a great save to deny him his second.

Four minutes before the interval the visitors restored their lead. Hutchinson collected the ball deep on the right hand side, swinging in a long cross and Eugene McLaughlin drifted into the Point penalty area unmarked to nod the ball into the bottom-left corner.

Culdaff started the second-half brighter, with Brendan McLaughlin’s low curling effort on forty-seven minutes forcing Burke into a good save. Quigley’s Point were then presented with a great chance to level on fifty-three minutes. An excellent passage of possession play was capped when Denim McLaughlin slipped Donnelly through with a lovely pass, but keeper McLaughlin once again denied the Point man with an excellent save.

It would prove to be a vital moment in the contest as three minutes later, Culdaff extended their lead. A free-kick from Brendan McLaughlin on the right flank found Michael Coyle unmarked in the six yard box, who headed the ball past Burke into the net. Quigley’s Point maintained their composure and attempted to get back into the game but for a lack of quality in the final third. On sixty-five minutes, Culdaff dealt the killer blow when Brendan McLaughlin’s long through ball was collected on the right by Coyle, who completed his hat-trick with a good finish into the bottom left corner.

The Muff side lost momentum after that, and it was the visiting side who looked more likely to score again. Eugene McLaughlin’s twenty-yard drive was well held by Burke, while Brendan McLaughlin, who put in a commanding second-half performance, was unlucky to see his shot from the edge of the box hit the outside of the post. Some good link-up play between Brendan McLaughlin and substitute Brian McCandless presented McCandless with a glorious chance but he scuffed his shot from six yards out. Oisin Burke then produced another quality stop to deny McCandless on eighty-three minutes.

Quigley’s Point added a late consolation goal when Chris O’Donnell’s cross from the right side was headed home from ten yards by Chris Montieth. But with the last action of the game, Culdaff completed the scoring when Brendan McLaughlin picked up the ball from McCandless on the left hand side of the box before unleashing an unstoppable right-footed drive into the top right corner.

Ulster Junior  Shield         

Aileach Res                  3

QPS Res                        1

Aileach got off to a great start when after good work by Ryan McDaid and Stephen O Donnell released Stephen Doherty to slot low past David Bell from twelve yards. The point replied with a Paul Hegarty free well saved by David McGeady. On 41 minutes O Donnell broke through the visitors defence and squared for Doherty to slot home from a tight angle. On the stroke of half time the point were reduced to ten men after Simon Wallace was red carded for retaliation. The ten men rallied and reduced the deficit when a Hegarty free fell to Kevin Wallace to fire to the roof of the net. In the second half Aileach increased the lead on 68 minutes when Tom Doherty advanced and crossed for Sean McHugh to slot home at the back post. At the other end Paul Grant saw a free tipped round the post in the final action.


Illies Res                       9

Buncrana Res               2

Illies dominated and took the lead on 10 minutes when a Gavin Doherty corner was dummied at the bear post and fell for Charlie McLaughlin to tap in past Cathal McNutt. Five minutes later Joe McDaid headed a Dominick Doherty cross to the top corner from twelve yards before another Gavin Doherty corner deflected off a defender and into the net. It became four midway through the half when McDaid dispossessed a defender and fired high past McNutt from the edge of the area. Number five arrived when Henry Doherty broke into the area and when his shot came off the post it was knocked home by McLaughlin. On the stroke of half time McDaid released Gavin Doherty who finished brilliantly to the top corner and make it six nil at the break. On 55minutes Dominick Doherty was upended in the area and McDaid completed his hat trick firing low to the corner. Buncrana were also reduced to ten men when Tony O’Loughlin was red carded for dissent. To their credit Buncrana rallied and Gerard Boyle converted  a penalty low to the corner after a handball. They got another back when Boyle broke past the home defence and fired past Doherty. But Illies replied and Liam Grant fed McLaughlin to slot home and complete his hat trick. Grant then fed Brendan Doherty who headed back across goal for the inrushing Grant to slot home.

Redcastle United                  1

Glenea Res                             2

Redcastle had the first opportunity on 10 minutes when Brendan Murphy played in Paul Mc Gowan  but Glenea keeper Gallagher advanced well and saved.  Darragh Mc Conway then tested Gallagher from distance. Glenea went ahead on 25 minutes when Martin Ferry advanced into the area and drove home, after the home side had lost possession in the midfield area. Redcastle replied almost immediately when Martin Farren headed home from a Paul Mc Gowan corner. Sean Curran cushioned the ball to Murphy soon after

this but he shot straight at Gallagher. At the other end  Michael Mulhern  then tested Mc Cole from distance for the visitors before Curran released Mc Gowan who shot straight at Gallagher. The second half was evenly contested until Glenea regained the lead on 70 minutes when Ferry  shot across the keeper to the net when the home side failed to deal with a through ball. Redcastle struggled to respond and Murphy  disappointed when he failed to hit the target from close range having been  played in by Curran. Curran could have forced extra time  late on but dragged his shot wide when well placed. This was as good as it got for the home side as Glenea held on for a deserved victory.

Culdaff Res                            2

Ballyhaise  Celtic                   1

The visitors started well and after a Christopher Reilly corner Barry Kelly slid in at the back post but fired wide. On 6minutes a long Des Reilly kick out found Christopher Reilly whose initial effort was blocked by Pauric O Donnell but he lobbed the rebound to the net. Culdaff replied with Brian Harris releasing Niall Mclaughlin who fired over from just inside the area.  On 35 minutes Michael McFadden released Aiden Cunningham and his low cross found McLaughlin who was denied by keeper Reilly. Another Cunningham cross was parried by Reilly but he recovered to turn Michael McLaughlin’s effort behind. Culdaff equalised on 49 minutes when Niall McLaughlin collected a throw in and back heeled into the path of Cunningham who fired low past the keeper.  Martin Keddy beat two men and fired goalwards but Reilly saved with his legs before Patrick McGrenaghan fed Cunningham but he fired  narrowly wide. Midway through the half Ballyhaise Stephen Kelly shot from twenty yards brilliantly saved before a Cormac Boyle corner found James Phratt but he headed wide. On 80  minutes Harris free kick found McGrenaghan whose header was brilliantly saved by Reilly. Culdaff struck for the winner when Joe Doherty  played a one two with Keddy before firing a brilliant effort to the top corner from wide on the left.

Jackie Crossan Premier Division 

Dunree United             1

Carn FC                         3

This was a crucial win for the visitors and they took the lead on 21 minutes when Ryan Kelly headed a Ronan Doherty free high past Philip Doherty from six yards. Dunree replied and James O Donnell had an effort which crashed off the post and wide. On the half hour Ronan Doherty unleashed a low effort which Doherty saved low to his left. Dunree responded and on the stroke of half time a Liam Baldrick free found William Doherty who slid in but failed to convert. In the opening minutes of the second half the unmarked Ryan McLaughlin headed home from ten yards to increase the visitors advantage. They made it three nil on 77 minutes after Ronan Doherty despatched a twenty five yards free to the bottom corner. At the other end Darryl Moran unleashed an effort but Daniel Houghton saved well before a cross from Baldrick was slotted home by Kevin McColgan.

Strand Hotel Division One 

Clonmany Res              3

Cockhill Youths             2

Cockhill started this game very brightly and took the lead in the 3rd minute when left back Shane Doherty played a ball down the wing for Eoin Deery and he in turn fed Jack McDaid who shrugged off a Clonmany defender before planting his shot across the keeper and inside the far post from a tight angle. Clonmany withstood some more early Cockhill pressure with Jack McDaid’s forward runs posing a problem for the Clonmany rearguard but they gradually got up to the pace of the game and equalised in the 11th minute.A long clearance was controlled by Conor Doherty on the left wing,who held the ball up before squaring the ball to his brother Dessie and he slid through a ground pass for John Porter to run onto in the box and he stroked a low shot below the advancing Declan Caldwell and into the bottom left hand side of the goals.The remainder of the first half was very competitive with both teams threatening but the defences for either team were in control. The Cockhill keeper was called into action in the 32nd minute when after some good build-up play down the right-hand side between Jake Harkin,Brendan Doherty and Oisin Hession,Jake was released into the box beating a Cockhill defender on the byline before pulling a pass back to the near corner of the 6 yard box for John Porter but Declan Caldwell smothered his shot at the near post and the ball was hooked to safety. Cockhill were forced into a change 5 minutes into the second half when Christy Duffy was forced to limp off with an injury. Clonmany also made a double substitution themselves with Michael Devlin and Ryan Doherty coming on for John Porter and Aaron Harkin.Clonmany were now forcing the game and the pressure was building up on Cockhill.In the 56th minute Michael Devlin released Dessie Doherty down the inside right channel,he was bearing down on goals and shot from 15yards out but although his shot beat Caldwell,he saw it canon back off the crossbar and deflect out to the left wing where it was retrieved by his brother Conor who squeezed though a pass to find Ryan Doherty’s run but his left foot shot went to the right and wide. Michael Devlin forced Declan Caldwell into a  good save at the foot of his post shortly afterwards before also nearly setting up another goal after playing a delightful cross into the six yard line behind the Cockhill defence but it just evaded the lunges of Brendan Doherty and Dessie Doherty. Clonmany forced a succession of corners and eventually made one pay in the 67th minute.The ball was whipped in by Michael Devlin but was half cleared to the edge of the box. Clonmany’s central defender Brian Devlin controlled the ball before teeing up a shot for Jake Harkin from the edge of the area which flew across a crowded penalty box and into the right hand bottom corner of the Cockhill net.Cockhill stung by this almost retrieved a goal in the 75th minute when sub Keegan Hegarty received the ball twenty yards out from goal before breaking forward into the Clonmany box but his shot lacked composure when he was well placed and went to the right and wide.Clonmany made the game safe in the 81st minute when following good link-up play by Michael Devlin and Dessie Doherty down the left-hand side Michael fed Dessie in the box and Dessie looked up to square a ball across the six yard box to find Oisin Hession’s run from midfield and he finished coolly from close range.Cockhill pulled a goal back in added time when their centre-half Noel McLaughlin received the ball on the left of the box and drifted into the box before dispatching a low shot past Liam McGonigle.

Carrowmena FC                     3

Sea Rovers                             1

Rovers started the game well and when Gary Doherty’s effort was parried by Michael Noone the rebound fell to Ciaran Doherty but his effort was turned behind by Noone. From Tiernan Stephens inswinging corner Noone only succeeded in helping the ball on its way into the net. But the home side equalised on 16 minutes when the rovers defence failed to clear a Bob Kane corner allowing Dean McGeoghaghan to fire past Glen Watson. Another inswing corner from Kane found   Christy McGeoghaghan to rise high and head home. Carrowmena gained confidence on the restart and pressed and almost added a third when Kane’s effort was well saved by Watson on the hour mark. They increased their lead on 79 minutes when they were awarded a penalty after McGeoghaghan was upended but when his spot kick was parried by Watson the loose ball fell to Conor Radcliffe who fired home from eight yards. Carrowmena almost added a fourth when a Gerard Gill cross found Radcliffe but his header rattled the cross bar.

Inishowen Engineering Division Two 

Carn Res                       3

Greencastle  Res         6

The home side opened the scoring after 20 minutes when Dillon Cooke converted a Conor Doherty cross from six yards past Puari Carey Doherty. But the visitors equalised when Cathal Mclaughlin fired low past Fergal Bradley from the edge of the area. Greencastle took the lead on 35minutes when John McDermott unmarked headed home to the roof of the net after a corner. They increased their lead when McLaughlin ran from half way before firing to the top corner from just inside the area. Carn had early pressure on the restart but on the hour the visitors broke when Eugene o Donnell ran onto a through ball to slot home. On 65 minutes Carn made it four two when Cade Cooke fired a thirty yards free to the roof of the net. The home side reduced the deficit to the minimum when Michael McDermott scored with a sublime chip from the edge of the area.

But Greencastle made it five three when Daniel Murphy caught keeper Bradley off the line with a superb effort from the half way line. They completed the scoring when McLaughlin robbed a defender and squared for John McDermott to sot home.


Glengad Res                 3

Redcastle Res              4

Glengad spurned a glorious opportunity in the first minute when after PJ McDaid was upended in the area Paul McGonigle’s spot kick was brilliantly saved by Terry McColgan. But in their next attack McGonigle crossed for McDaid to slot low to the corner and give the home side the lead. But on 9 minutes the visitors equalised after Brian Tracey fired low past Ronan Lafferty from  fifteen yards. Glengad regained the lead on 16 minutes when Kevin McLaughlin sidestepped a defender and hammered a low effort past McColgan from the edge of the area. Redcastle upped the pace and Stephen Davenport had a free kick brilliantly saved by Lafferty . They levelled again on 40 minutes when Mark Doherty cut in from the left and fed Tracey to slot home from ten yards. But on the stroke of half time Glengad took the lead for the third time when Joe Doherty fired a twenty yards free to the roof of the net after he had been fouled.

In the opening minute of the second half Doherty fed Davenport on the edge of the area and he fired low to the corner to make it three all. On 72 minutes Evan Craig fed James Breslin inside the area and he drilled low to the corner. Glengad replied and a Kevin McLaughlin free was well saved by McColgan to secure the points for the visitors.


Gleneely Colts              1

Rasheney Res              0

The opening chance fell to the home side after Paul Canny released Kevin Doherty but from a tight angle he fired just wide. Rasheney then forced four corners in a row but the home defence dealt capably with them. On 15 minutes a John McLaughlin snapshot from the edge of the area was deflected wide off a home defender. Midway through the first half a John Doherty free was headed straight at Kieran O Neill by Cory O’Brien. The remainder of the half was  a close  battle with few chances. On the restart Kieran White crossed but Canny headed wide. Gleneely had another free which was quickly taken by Neil G Duffy but the back tracking O’Neill tipped the ball over. From the corner John Doherty’s point blank range header was superbly tipped over by O’Neill. The colts broke the deadlock on 71 minutes when a John Doherty free deceived O Neill on its way to the net. Rasheney pressed hard but the home defence stood firm.