Match Reports 1st October

Jackie Crossan Premier Division             

QPS                                0

Glengad United           1

Mark Smith’s eighth-minute strike was enough to earn three points for Glengad United in a tough encounter against Quigley’s Point Swifts in Muff.

The result sees the league champions, who were missing several first-team players for this game, maintain their 100% start to the season while the home side are without a point after three games.

Played in windy and wet conditions, there were early half chances at either end. Stephen McKendry dragged a low effort wide for Quigley’s Point, while Glengad midfielder Mark Smith was denied by a last-ditch block from defender Ross Nicholas when through on goal. In the eighth minute, Smith would score the only goal of the game when he collected the ball deep in the home half, before lofting an audacious twenty-five yard half volley over David Bell.

The visitors took control of the game, and Terence Doherty found himself in a good position to double the lead on ten minutes but shot straight at Bell. At the other end Shane McCreadie made a good run deep into Glengad’s half but his shot was well held by Gerard Crossan. On twenty-one minutes, a Quigley’s Point corner caused a goalmouth scramble but Glengad were able to clear.

Chances were few and far between, with Bell having to be alert to tip over a goal-bound cross from Cathal McDaid. On thirty five minutes, Smith found himself played through again but DJ Canavan tracked back superbly to deny the midfielder.

The Muff side came out stronger in the second half, pressing higher up the pitch and forcing the visitors into mistakes. However the Crua men were resolute in defence, snuffing out any danger and restricting the Swifts going forward. Ten minutes into the second half Glengad almost made it two when PJ McDaid ran to the byline before squaring a pass to substitute Christopher McLaughlin but his shot crept inches past the left post.

The hosts came right back and substitute Josh Boyle forced a good save from Crossan with a stinging right-footed shot from outside the box. McLaughlin had another chance for Glengad on sixty-four minutes, but his free header from a long John McDermott free-kick went wide. Boyle went close again for the Point a few minutes later, shooting wide after making a run from the left flank.

Quigley’s Point’s continued to force the pace of the action. On seventy-one minutes their pressure almost paid dividends when Adam Harkin pounced upon a loose defensive pass but Crossan was alert to make a good low save from Harkin’s shot. The rest of the game was scrappy, with Glengad content to sacrifice possession and soak up pressure with Quigley’s Point unable to break down a solid defence.


Carn FC                         2

Aileach FC                    2

Carn started well and in the opening exchanges Shane Doherty went close twice with efforts from outside the area. Somewhat against the run of play Aileach took the lead when Ronan Coyle pounced on a poor back pass to drive low past Kyle Dougal. Carn replied midway through the half when a Ronan Doherty effort was superbly saved low to his right by Peter Devlin. At the other end a Gareth McGlynn snapshot was superbly tipped over the bar by Dougal in a crowded goal mouth. On 55 minutes a dangerous Ryan Kelly cross was cut out by a defender. Aileach replied and Anthony Doherty had an effort cleared off the line by Conor Doherty before the same player had a deflected shot brilliantly saved by Dougal. Ronan Coyle then saw another effort cleared off the line before he crossed for Thomas McMonagle to slot home and put Aileach  two up on 78 minutes. Carn battled well and when Kelly’s cross found Brandon Browne he controlled superbly on his chest and turned to drill a low effort into the corner. Dougal then made a brilliant reflex save to deny Coyle fore he saved again to thwart Anthony Doherty. On the stroke of full time Darren McMoangle blazed wide for the visitors from a good position. Deep in injury  time a goal mouth scramble developed in the Aileach area and Browne rose highest to head home and earn his side a point.

Culdaff FC                     4

Illies Celtic                    0

With both sides very understrength the home side just had too much in depth although Illies did hit the woodwork on three occasions in isolated attacks. Dillon Ruddy fired just over on twenty yards before the home side took the lead after Johnny Noone parried a Conor Keddy effort but Noel McLaughlin pounced to drill home. Keddy fired just over the angle of the post and bar before Ruddy had a superb strike beaten away at full stretch by Noone. Illies in their first chance saw Dominic Coyle fire an angled effort which came off the post to Adrian Donaghey Doherty whose follow up was turned behind by Daniel Mullarkey. Within three minutes Culdaff doubled their lead when Dermot Diver sent Noone the wrong way from the penalty spot after McLaughlin was upended. Both Keddy and Ruddy went within inches of adding a third before on 62 minutes a superb Keddy run ended with a deep chip to the back post for McLaughlin to volley home his second. Illies replied and Kvin McGonagle had an effort crash off the bar before Liam Grant fired wide from the edge of the area. Illies suffered a blow when substitute Jason Campbell was red carded for two cautions before Grant played a short free to Donaghey Doherty but his effort took a deflection and crashed back off the crossbar. Culdaff finished strong and Ruddy should have scored  before Michael Coyle was denied by a fine save from Noone. On the stroke of full time  a superb Bryan McCandless pass picked out Diver on the edge of the area and although Noone parried well substitute Matthew Mullarkey fired the rebound home.

Greencastle FC            1      

Buncrana Hearts          3

The home side dominated for long periods but the old failing of not converting their chances came back to haunt them again.  In the opening ten minutes Nigel McMonagle saw an effort saved by Liam McGonigle , Michael Barr was denied by a last ditch Gary Duffy tackle and McMonagle fired over from sixteen yards. Buncrana replied with Kieran McDaid seeing an effort saved by Dylan Doherty before James McGonagle fired narrowly wide. Greencastle resumed control and Barr as denied by keeper McGonigle and Matthew Henry firing over the bar. McMonagle and Barr both saw efforts saved before Sean Mc Kinney headed narrowly wide after a corner and Christy Hegarty saw a powerful effort tipped over the bar. For all their pressure Buncrana had the best chance of the half on the stroke of half time when Michael Coyle beat keeper Doherty to a long ball and with the goal gaping he somehow fired over. Greencastle made a bright start to the second period  with McMonagle twice clipping the outside of the post before Jamie McKinney fired a free kick just wide. On 57 minutes Bart Wesoloski strode into the area but a superb McKinney tackle saved the day before the same player was denied by a smothering save from Doherty. Buncrana then broke the deadlock on 65 minutes when they were awarded a hotly contested penalty which Ryan Curran blasted down the middle. Greencastle kept pressing and James Henry fired over before they suffered a blow when Hegarty was red carded for two cautions. Curran then saw a free tipped over by Doherty before  Wesoloski raced clear onto a ball over the top and finished superbly to make it two nil on 80 minutes. Almost immediately  McMonagle pulled a goal back in a scramble. The home side threw everything at the hearts but in injury time the visitors broke and substitute Gerard Boyle chipped Doherty from twenty yards to seal the win.

Strand Hotel Division One

Dunree United             3

Gleneely Colts              3

The Colts took an early lead when Cory O Brien released Billy McCann to slide the ball low past Philip Doherty. Dunree equalised on 16 minutes when Ryan Bradley cut the ball back for Sean Doherty to fire high past Adrian Duffy from ten yards. But Gleneely regained the lead when  Nathan McLaughlin beat a defender and slotted low to the corner. On 40 minutes Bradley again cut the ball back for Daniel McLaughlin to fire to the roof of the net. On the stroke of half time Gleneely again regained the lead when O Brien was upended and McCann blasted the spot kick down the middle. Dunree again got back on terms when a William Doherty  ball into the area eluded all and landed in the net. The remainder of the game saw both sides restricted to long rage efforts with defences on top as they settled for a share of the spoils.

Rasheney FC                2

Moville Celtic               3

The home side raced into a two nil lead and will be very dissappointed that they failed to get anything from this game.

They took the lead on 2 minutes when  a corner broke to Michael Toland who fired a brilliant effort to the top corner from twenty two yards. Moville had claims for a penalty waved away then before at the other end a dangerous cross from Matthew McLaughlin eluded all attackers. Rasheney then made it two nil on 15 minutes when Charlie Doherty collected a loose ball and advanced to round Ryan Coyle and slot home.Moville rallied and Tony Boyce surged from half way but fired over the bar. Moville reduced the deficit after Kyle Harkin fed Boyce who surged into the area and drilled an angled effort past Sean Friel for a superb finish. Rasheney ahd a chance on the stroke of half time when Declan McLaughlin found Doherty but his effort was blocked by the legs of Ryan Coyle. Rasheney’s Charlie Doherty headed over a Brendan Doherty cross on the restart and they paid the price on 51 minutes when Moville’s Conor Doherty laid the ball off for Kevin McDermott to drill low past Friel and level the game. Declan Mclaughlin fired just wide for the home side before Boyce powered through the middle and saw his rasping effort beaten away by Friel at full stretch with substitute Ryan McColgan somehow firing wide of a gaping goal. Play continued to swing from end to end with Anthony Doherty firing over for Rasheney while Boyce was denied by a fine save from Friel at his near post. After a defensive error by the visitors Doherty was denied by Coyle.  Moville broke and after McDermott was upended in the area Charlie Gill converted  the penalty to give Moville the lead.It could have been worse for the home side except for two brilliant saves from Friel to deny substitute Michael McNaught and Conor Doherty in the closing minutes.

Cockhill Youths             3

Clonmany Res              2

The youths opened the scoring on 5 minutes after Jack McDaid crossed to Darragh McDermott who laid off to Michael Doherty whose effort hit a defender and a penalty awarded which McDermott converted. On 17 minutes both Niall McLaughlin and Jason Devlin combined for the former to see his effort saved by Declan Caldwell. Minutes later Cockhill’s Conor Allen surged forward and drove a superb cross which eluded all. Clonmany were then awarded a penalty after Tiernan McDonald was upended but Dessie Doherty’s effort was brilliantly saved by Declan Caldwell. On the half hour McDaid flicked on for McDermott who rounded keeper Fergal Bradley to make it two nil at the break. On 57 minutes Dessie Doherty fired just wide from distance  before they reduced the deficit from another penalty for handball with Jason Devlin converting low to Caldwells right. The visitors got back on terms on 86 minutes when a deep cross by Niall Mclaughlin broke for Brian Devlin to loop an effort to the top corner from the edge of the area0 From the kick off McDermott was denied by a good save by Bradley. From the corner Michael Noone rose highest to head to the top corner to clinch the points for the home side.

Sea Rovers                             2

Redcastle United                  4

In windy conditions the visitors started this game the better and both James Curran and Brendan Murphy had early efforts well saved by Glen Watson in the Rovers goal. The visitors broke the deadlock on 18 minutes when a goalmouth scramble developed and Seamus Doherty poked home from close range. They went close again but a Denim McLaughlin free was well saved by Watson. Rovers rallied and Kieran McNicholas fired narrowly wide from the edge of the area. They equalised then on 28 minutes after a long kick out from Watson released Keelan Doherty and he held his nerve to fire past Michael McCole. But Redcastle  upped the tempo before the interval and regained the lead when Denim McLaughlin broke and crossed for the unmarked Brendan Murphy to head home. After an even opening to the second period Redcastle increased their lead on 61 minutes after Murphy got on the end of an Aaron Nash cross to slot home from close range.  They made it four one on 79minutes after the home defence failed to clear allowing Jack McConalogue to slot home. But Rovers to their credit rallied and got a consolation on 82 minutes when Keelan Doherty burst past two defender s and finished superbly.

Aileach Res                  1

Buncrana Res               2

IN the first half there were few chances with Stephen Doherty blasting over the bar from inside the area which was the only real chance.  On the hour mark Buncrana took the lead when Adam Callaghan released John Timlin and he finished low past Charlie Carlin from ten yards. Carlin then parried an effort from Kevin McColgan  and recovered well to block the follow up with his feet.  Aileach replied and when Seamus O Donnell crossed to Stephen Doherty his volley was blocked by Ryan O Sullivan but Doherty recovered to slam home the rebound. Buncrana struck for the winner when Timlin ran onto a through ball from Mark Mcfadden and held off two defenders before slotting home. Aileach pressed hard  but the visitors defended well to claim the points.


Inishowen Engineering Division Two   

Rasheney Res              0

Culdaff Res                   2

In blustery conditions the home side had the advantage and on 4 minutes a mazy Jack McLaughlin run and shot was cleared off the line by a Culdaff defender. Culdaff replied when a dangerous Liam Doherty cross was headed clear by Trevor Doherty. On 15 minutes the visitors Matthew Mullarkey crossed for Niall McLaughlin but he headed over when well placed before the same player had an effort deflected wide. On the half hour Rasheney’s McLaughlin ran onto a Paddy McGilloway pass but he fired just wide from a good position. At the other end Liam Doherty broke into the area but saw his low effort cleared by the legs of Tiernan Devine. Culdaff broke the deadlock on 36 minutes when Jack O Brien controlled well inside the area and turned before drilling a low effort inside the far post from fourteen yards. McGilloway then unleashed a thirty yards effort which was turned behind by Daniel Mullarkey.The last chance fell to the visitors before the break but Liam Doherty drove over the bar. Culdaff increased their lead in the opening minute of the second period when he advanced on the left past two defenders and fired home from a tight angle. Culdaff had more possession and Cathal McGrenaghan scuffed an effort in a promising position. On 75 minutes Rasheney substitute Johnathan Toland had an effort well saved by Daniel Mullarkey before an Alan Doherty cross  found Toland  whose effort was cleared by a defender. At the other end McGrenaghan advanced into the area and fired just wide before the same player had the final chance but again failed to hit the target.

Glengad Res                 4

Dunree Res                  1

Glengad started this game well and Christopher Mclaughlin had an early effort which Roger McGilloway tipped over the bar.  Dunree replied and James Doherty controlled inside the area before slotting low past Ronan Lafferty. Glenagd equalised when a short corner between Gary Kelly and Oran Doherty saw Kelly fire a superb effort to the top corner. Dunree replied and a Bryce Fullerton effort flashed just past the post. Against the wind Glengad started well and when Mark McKinney crossed McLaughlin side footed home  on 55 minutes. On the hour McKinney’s corner was headed home by Brian Doherty from six yards  to make it three one. Dunree responded with a TJ McKinley effort well tipped over by Lafferty. In the closing minutes Kelly ‘s free kick deflected off Paul McGonigle past McGilloway.

Redcastle Res              9

Cockhill Res                  2

Redcastle started brightly forcing a couple of early corners , from

one of these cockhill broke at pace and Adam McLaughlin was up ended   in the box  and he picked himself up  took and scored the resulting penalty. Redcastle  replied and from a Rory Hirrell free Terry McColgan tapped home.Mark Doherty then put Redcastle ahead with a tap in from another Gerard Mc Laughlin corner.

But Cockhill equalised when a mix up in the home defence allowed Gary   Breslin in to score. Mc Colgan then had a shot well saved by the young Cockhill  keeper . A great run down the line by full back Antonio Rea created a simple  finish for Shay Davenport to put the home team ahead again

Then a brilliant forty yard pass from Hirrell set McColgan free to finish  for his second of the game and leave the home side four two ahead at the interval.Redcastle started strong after the break with four  corners in quick   succession ending when McColgan headed home for his hat-trick. They then went six two ahead when Evan Craig collected a through ball from  substitute Cathal Crumlish and finished low to the corner. Cockhill then threatened with pressure on the home defence but well   organised by Gary Kelly stood firm and on a quick break Crumlish put  the game beyond reach for the visitors .Substitute Sam Bonnar then threaded through a great ball for Alan Clarke to finish well and the scoring was completed when Crumlish scored his  second after great work from Davenport down the right.

Moville Res                  3

Carn Res                       1

Moville started well and on 5 minutes James Gillen saw a twenty five yards effort crash off the bar before Adam  Harkin ran onto a Conor Lafferty pass but  his effort was well saved.  On 10 minutes Lafferty was upended in the area and Graeme Doherty fired the spot kick to the keepers right. The remainder of the half was a close affair with few chances. On 55 minutes Gillen released Adam Harkin and he fired low to the net from ten yards. Carn replied and Cade Cooke fired narrowly wide when well placed. On 75 minutes  Conor Doherty had an effort well saved by Puaric Carey Doherty. Carn reduced the deficit when Carey Doherty parried well but Dylan Cooke slotted the loose ball home. But on 83  minutes Gillen released Lafferty and he chipped the keeper from eight yards. Lafferty,  Lee McColgan and John Harkin all had late chances for the home side but failed to hit the target.

Illies Res                       3

Greencastle  Res         0

The home side got a great start in the 10th minute and with the advantage of the wind broke the deadlock  when Charlie McLaughlin lobbed the keeper from twenty yards. They increased their lead midway through the half when McLaughlin dispossessed the keeper and slotted to the unguarded net. An Andy Graham free was not cleared by the visitors and Liam O Connor fired home to give them a comfortable half time lead. In the second half Greencastle’s substitute Shaun Cavanagh had a fine low effort from the edge of the area well saved by Graham Doherty before midway through the half Doherty made a brilliant one handed save to deny Ronan Doherty. Illies on the break saw Mclaughlin race clear but Bovaird  made a superb save. In the final minute Cavanagh  had another goal bound effort brilliantly saved by Doherty.

Carrowmena FC           1

Aileach Youths             3

On 10 minutes the visitors Dara Grant was denied by a smart save from Derek McGeoghaghan before  Grant fired a free kick over the bar from thirty yards. Carrowmnea responded with John Lynch releasing Oran McDermott whose low effort was well saved by Dylan Clarke. Midway through the half Daithi Grant’s wind assisted effort flew in off the underside of the bar to give the visitors the lead. Minutes later the ball broke to Declan O Donnell whose long range effort deflected off a defender on its way to the net to make it two nil. Carrowmena reduced the deficit when Killian Dougal crossed for McDermott to fire an unstopabble wffort low to the corner from the edge of the area. On the stroke of half time Brendan Hegarty made it three one with a superb lob from ten yards. There was little action until the 70th minute when a Paul McCrudden free crashed off the wall. At the other end James McDermott fed Oran McDermott but he fired over from close range. Aileach were always dangerous on the break and Patrick Curran was denied by a fine smothering save from McGeoghaghan. The final chance fell to the home side but Andrew McLaughlin dragged his effort across goal and wide.