Match Reports 19thFeb

Knockalla Caravans Senior Cup     

Milford United                      3

Clonmany Shamrocks          5      

On a very poor pitch Clonmany burst from the blocks and led by three goals after eighteen minutes.

Mark McLaughlin  found Jamie Coyle on 5 minutes and he lobbed Caolan McGettigan. Then on 10minutes a Gary Doherty clearance released Paul McDermott who rounded McGettigan to score. Milford responded and Joey Cullen headed wide  from a good position. But a Jason Devlin free kick dummied by Steve Harkin eluded McGettigan and Clonmany were three up . On the stroke of half time Cullen was upended in the area and Gary Merritt drove low to the corner. After the break Merritt then had a  free well palmed away by Patrick Harkin while at the other end Jason Devlin advanced on the left and his driven cross flashed across the face of goal and wide. Midway through the half substitute Kyle Black converted a penalty after he had been impeded before the same player had another effort well saved by Harkin. Clonmany made it four two when Dessie Doherty bundled home from close range before McDermott was clean through but slipped at the crucial moment. On 82 minutes Milford reduced the deficit to the minimum again after Cullen’s effort was deflected past Harkin. Clonmany finished the game well with Coyle denied by McGettigan before a Gary Doherty run and cross found Coyle to slot home from close range to seal their passage.





Jackie Crossan Premier Division    

Glengad United            5

Dunree United             0

Glengad dominated throughout and opened the scoring after 8 minutes when a defensive mix  up allowed Terence Doherty to fire low past Philip Doherty from the edge of the area. Good work on 15 minutes by Michael Byrne released Nigel McMonagle to fire low past Doherty from a tight angle. It soon became three when Seamus Doherty and McMonagle combined to feed Byrne on the edge of the area and he fired low to the corner. On the stroke of half time McMonagle pounced on a headed back pass to slot low past the advancing Doherty. Glengad picked up where they left off on the resumption with McMonagle denied by a stunning save from Doherty. Dunree had a half chance when a Liam Baldrick long range effort was well saved by Kevin McLaughlin. Glengad sealed the points on 85 minutes when Jason Doherty fed Terence Doherty on the left and he cut in past two defenders and fired a superb twenty five yards effort to the top corner. Dunree had a late chance after Barry Nixon found Conor Doherty who raced clear of the home defence but fired wide.

Culdaff FC                     0

Buncrana Hearts          1

Culdaff will feel that on their second half performance they should have got something from this clash.The home side had the first chance  when Michael Coyle  crossed  for Bryan McCandless whose volley was held by Cory Wilson in the Hearts goal. Buncrana dominated the remainder of the half and when Stephen McHugh fed Ryan Curran in a central position his lob came off the bar to Bart Wesoloski whose header was well saved by Darragh McLaughlin. On 11 minutes Ryan Doherty advanced on the left and crossed for Ben Bradley whose volley also came back off the bar. Pat Loughery then fired high and wide after a good run before McHugh had an effort deflected behind for a corner. They made the break through on 38 minutes when Bradley controlled a right wing cross on his chest and volleyed in off the post from twenty yards. It was a  different story on the restart and in the first minute brilliant control by Brendan McLaughlin saw his attempted chip saved by Wilson. Coyle then had a header saved by Wilson before a snapshot from inside the area was also gathered by Wilson. On the hour they should have got back on terms when McLaughlin’s cross found Coyle but his header came off the bar and was cleared.. Minutes later JJ Doherty’s well hit effort saw Wilson turn the ball around the post at full stretch. McLaughlin then collected a poor clearance on 66 minutes bur from the left hand side of the area he fired at Wilson who gathered at the second attempt. Brilliant work on the other side of the area saw McLaughlin skip past two defenders but again Wilson got down low to save to his left. The home side’s final chance came on 85 minutes when a McLaughlin free found JJ Doherty but his header was straight at Wilson.

Greencastle FC             3

QPS                                1

The visitors started well and took the lead on 15 minutes when a corner by Denim McLaughlin came off a defender and past JP I Doherty. Greencastle exerted a lot of pressure with Sean Cavanagh and Matthew Henry both firing good efforts just over. For the point Conor Barrow caused the home defence a lot of trouble. In the second period Greencastle poured forward with Jamie McCormick and  Henry both missing good chances. QPS broke forward  and almost made it two nil when Barrow’s effort was cleared off the line by Gavin Harkin.The home side did equalise on 68 minutes when Michael Burke headed past the outrushing Oisin Burke who suffered an injury in the process and replaced by Denim McLaughlin. On 83 minutes Greencastle took the lead when Ciaran Moore crossed for Barr to side foot home. They sealed the points when substitute Puaric Gillen got on the end of Henry’s cross to fire home.








Strand Hotel Division One      

Illies Celtic                   1

Clonmany Res              0

Illies Celtic threw the first division title race wide open with a single goal victory at home to Clonmany. They started well with Michael Coyle firing just over on 15 minutes before the same player had  a header well saved by Liam McGonigle. Clonmany replied and when Oisin Hession crossed Jack Doherty fired over from twelve yards when he should have done better. Minutes later Hession broke into the area but fired into the side netting as the half ended scoreless.

Illies started the second period well and after a good run Marty Coyle’s effort was cleared off the line by Aaron Harkin. The home side took the lead on 66 minutes when a Dominic Coyle corner was headed high to the roof of the net by Paddy Doherty. They had  another chance when Doherty headed across to John Pio Donegahy but his header crashed off the bar. When Paddy Doherty fed Martin Coyle his low effort was brilliantly blocked by the legs of McGonigle. Clonmany upped the tempo in the final ten minutes but failed to trouble Johnathan Noone in the home goal.

Redcastle United         0

Moville Celtic               0 ​​​​​

Moville Celtics’ promotion hopes suffered a setback as they passed up a series of chances to collect all three points against an out of sorts home side. They had the first opportunity on eight minutes when Declan Mc Guinness crossed for Michael Mc Naught who saw his shot rebound of the crossbar.  Redcastle replied through Sean Curran who saw his free  kick evade everybody and rebound of the base of the post. Mc Naught then beat the offside but Michael Mc Cole came out smartly to smother. At the beginning of the second half Redcastle passed up a glorious chance when Sean Curran

pulled his shot wide after being teed up by Darragh Mc Conway.  Moville’s Billy Mc Cann was then denied by Mc Cole after latching on to a PJ Barr through ball. Moville’s Charlie Gill then tried his luck from distance but Mc Cole tipped his effort over the bar before  Mc Naught then tested Mc Cole again but the keeper put a foot out and diverted the ball wide. Billy Mc Cann  had the last chance of note, a shot from distance that was easily gathered by Mc Cole.

Carrowmena FC           0

Aileach   FC                   3

Aileach kept themselves in contention for league honours with this hard earned three nil victory at the Warren.Aileach had the first chance on 12minutes when James Gillespie found James McFinley who shot over from fifteen yards. They took the lead minutes later when  Tom Doherty found Stephen Doherty on the right and he beat a defender before drilling the ball across for Christopher McDermott to slot home. Carrowmena replied and a first time effort from Gerard Gill draw a superb save from Ciaran Bradley. From the corner to the back post Conor Lafferty was twice denied by Bradley. In the second period Aileach increased their lead on the hour mark when Gillespie released Ruairi Bradley whose shot on the run came off the bar for Stephen O’Donnell  to slot home. Aileach wrapped the game up in the 83rd minute , Stephen Doherty was quickest to react to a sloppy pass , nips in  and slots low past  Noone.

Sea Rovers                    0

Rasheney FC                 3

There were few chances in the opening half with Rasheney’s Charlie Dohert firing just wide  before Declan McLaughlin cut in from the right and again failed to hit the target. Midway through the half a William Logan free found Tiernan Steephens but he headed wide.

On 28 minutes Rasheney took the lead when Charlie Doherty controlled well and curled the ball into the bottom corner. Rovers pressed more in the second half with the wind but Rasheney were picking them off on the break. The visitors made it two nil when a solo run by Declan McLaughlin took him into the area to slide the ball low past Glen Watson. Rovers Graham Morgan then  had a first time effort just past the post. Rasheney Substitute David McLaughlin added a third when he raced clear  and finished superbly past Watson. Rovers kept pushing and Damien Harkin advanced from midfield before unleashing an effort which Friel gathered at the second attempt.




Inishowen Engineering Division Two  A        

Buncrana Res               4

Glengad Res                 2

Buncrana moved back to the top of the table with this comprehensive win over Glengad. The home side took the lead when James Doherty ‘s long ball over the top released Alan Friel who rounded Ronan Lafferty and drilled home. Glengad replied and Shane Devlin unleashed a powerful effort well saved by Eoghan O Doherty low to his right. On 33 minutes Lee Sean Doherty’s deep cross found Puaric O Flaherty but his header was well saved before after a scramble in the visitors area Friel blazed over from six yards. At the other end John McDaid’s twenty yards effort crashed back off the bar before the visitors equalized when McDaid’s free was parried by O’Doherty  for Devlin to slot home. But minutes into the second half Buncrana regained the lead after Lee Sean Doherty crossed for Gerard Boyle to score with a spectacular over head kick. They made it three one then when Mark McFadden fed Boyle who fired low to the bottom corner from the edge of the area. A defensive mix up on the hour mark allowed Boyle to complete his hat trick with a low shot from twelve yards. Glengad got a consolation on 81 minutes after a John McDaid corner went all the way to the net. Buncrana’s Christy McKinley then crossed for Paul McDaid but Lafferty saved well.

Moville Res                  2

Illies  Res                      2

On 5 minutes James Gillen released Colin Doherty who took the ball past Graham Doherty but the angle was too much. Illies replied on 15 minutes when after a defensive error Gavin Doherty crossed for Charlie McLaughlin but his effort was effort was saved by Ryan Coyle. Illies had another chance when Joe McDaid fired wide from the edge of the area. On 25 minutes the visitors Gavin Doherty saw an effort crash back off the post while at the other end Matthew McLaughlin fired at Doherty. Illies broke the deadlock on the half hour when McLaughlin raced clear and finished well past Coyle. Moville tried to reply and Kyle Harkin saw a free kick saved by Doherty before the home side equalised when Emmet McCauley slotted home after a defensive mix up.  Illies regained the lead when Sean Whoriskey rose to head a free kick across Coyle to the far corner. Moville started the second half well and when Nathan Harkin fed Eoin Gillen his effort was blocked. On the hour Moville broke with James Gillen firing straight at keeper Doherty from a good position. Nathan Harkin fed Kyle Harkin on 70 minutes and his deep cross was slotted home by Ryan McColgan. In the last ten minutes both sides pushed hard but had to settle for a draw in the end.

Gleneely Colts              2

Redcastle Res              0

This top of the table clash was an entertaining affair and saw the colts start the better. On 5 minutes good work by Cory O Brien saw his effort saved by Terry McColgan before the unmarked JP McDermott headed well over from a Christy Smith free. On 18 minutes Dylan McDaid fired a twenty yards free just over the angle. But Redcastle spurned the clearest chance on 29 minutes when after a defensive mix up Brendan Murphy raced into the area and fired low past Eddie McNammee but past the post. Play swung to  the other end and when McColgan’s clearance was collected by O’Brien he controlled and lobbed the stranded keeper from thirty yards. In their next attack Nathan McLaughlin advanced on the left and lifted the ball over the advancing McColgan but Shane McColgan got back to clear off the line. Redcastle ended the half the stronger and when McNamee failed to hold Daniel Harkin’s free kick Murphy’s follow up from point blank range hit the post and was cleared. On the stroke of half time a Shane McCallion free found the unmarked Murphy but McNamee got enough on his header to diver it behind. Gleneely started the second period the better and   McLaughlin had a snapshot brilliantly tipped behind by McColgan. On the hour O’Brien

raced onto a through ball but McColgan advanced well to smother at his feet. Dylan McDaid then had a snapshot that just cleared the bar before McLaughlin threaded a ball into O’Brien but his effort was saved by McColgan. Redcastle replied and Brendan Murphy fired wide from the edge of the area. A McColgan free then found Murphy whose header clipped the crossbar on the way over. In the last minute O’Brien ran from deep and was upended and McLaughlin blasted the spot kick down the middle to make it two nil. In injury time Redcastle’s Gary Kelly blazed over from four yards.




Inishowen Engineering Division Two  B       

Rasheney Res               2

Aileach Youths             3

The youths started this game much the better and Darren McMonagle fired an effort into the side netting before Dylan Gallagher had an effort well saved by Kieran O Neill. Gallagher and McMonagle then combined for the latter to again be denied by O’Neill. On 22 minutes Aileach broke the deadlock when Callum Porter cut in from the left and squared for McMonagle to fire low past O’Neill from sixteen yards. On the half hour mark McMonagle then pounced on a defensive error to drill a low shot across O’Neill and in off the far post. Rasheney tried to reply and Kevin Noone scuffed a clear chance  before on the stroke of half time Jack McLaughlin saw his effort saved by Dylan Clarke. Rasheney got a dream start to the second half when Conor O Neill cut in from the right and lifted the ball over Clarke to the top corner. A dipping effort from Darren Gallagher at the other end sailed just over before Darren McMonagle had three efforts just off target. Rasheney got back on terms on 81 minutes when Johnathan Toland, Alan Doherty and Noone ended with substitute Nathan McConalogue who fired a sweet first time effort high past Clarke. But with two minutes remaining Aileach struck for the winner after a corner came off a defender and past his own keeper.

Carn Res              2

Culdaff Res         4

Played in Culdaff on Saturday night this was an excellent game with a lot of good young players on both sides. After an even open exchange Culdaff broke the deadlock when Joe O Connor touched a Dermot Diver corner past Dean Mason on 15 minutes. On 32 minutes they doubled their lead when a great run and cross from Thomas O Brien found Niall McLaughlin and he made no mistake from six yards.

Mason then made a superb reflex save to deny Diver from close range before the break. Culdaff kept the pressure up on the restart and Diver fired just wide from thirty yards before Mason made a superb finger tip save to deny Shane Diver.On 77 minutes substitute Aiden Cunningham scored directly from a corner and it looked all over. But Carn rallied and got a goal back on 84 minutes when after a Dayton Cooke run and cross was parried by Callum Doherty the ball broke to Cade Cooke who drilled to the bottom corner from the edge of the area. On 89 minutes Carn got a second goal back after Dayton Cooke’s corner was controlled by Mark Diver who slotted past Doherty from ten yards. But Culdaff responded and O’Brien sealed the points when he headed home from close range after a corner.

Dunree Res         2

Cockhill Res        3

In an entertaining game Cockhill opened the scoring on 10 minutes when the unmarked Martin Quigley headed past Simon Taylor after a Mark Gillespie cross. They increased their lead on 21 minutes when Gillespie ran onto a Gary Breslin pass and finished high past Taylor. Dunree reduced the deficit on the half hour when a John Ferguson cross  was flicked home by David Doherty from ten yards past Gary Robinson. Dunree got back on terms when James Doherty fed TJ McKinley on the left and he beat a defender before placing his effort low into the corner. Cockhill regained the lead on 66minuets after Marty McDermott cross shot sailed high past Taylor to the net. Dunree responded and Neil Moran had an effort well saved by Robinson as the visitors defence well marshalled stood firm.