Match Reports Wednesday 12th August

Jackie Crossan Premier Division    

Buncrana Hearts               2

Cockhill Youths                  2

This was a well contested local derby in great conditions at Castle Park  when the visitors raced into a two nil lead before being clawed back by the home side

. But failure to win  means the Hearts  title ambitions have been dealt a huge blow. The home side got off to the worst possible start in the opening minute after their defence failed to clear a free kick and Jack McDaid controlled and fired  low past Eoghan O’Doherty from inside the area. Buncrana should have levelled within minutes when Declan Fullerton s free was headed down by Shane Dillon but Gary Duffy fired into the side netting. Cockhill increased their lead midway through the half when Odhran O’Brien –Daly rose high to power a header to the net from Adam Mclaughlin’s cross. Buncrana upped the tempo at this stage with Shane Dillon firing over the bar from close range before they reduced the deficit on 37 minutes when Declan Fullerton converted a penalty after Mikey Friel had been upended. Before the break Aaron McDaid also went close for the Hearts but headed narrowly wide. Buncrana started the second half well and after a Keith McColgan cross Ben Bradley volleyed over when he possibly could have headed the ball. On 52 minutes they got back on terms after a superb ball from Dillon found Wesoloski on the left and his sublime cross was swept home by  Eoin Murphy from six yards. The game developed into a scrappy midfield battle then with few clear chances. Killian O Rourke had a free well saved by home keeper O’Doherty before at the other end Aaron McDaid’s effort was gathered by Liam McGonigle. Substitute Kevin O’Loughlin headed Murphy’s corner over the bar before O’Rourke received a straight red card to reduce the visitors to ten men. Cockhill had the final chance but Adam McLaughlin’s free was saved by O’Doherty.

Strand Hotel First Division   

Glengad Res                                    0

Redcastle United              7

The home side never recovered from the concession of two goals in the opening nine minutes. Ronan Hoy pounced on a loose ball inside the area to drill past Michael McLaughlin on five minutes. The same player doubled the visitors lead when he beat a defender on the edge of the area and fired  low past McLaughlin. Midway through the half Martin McCann added  a third when he controlled well and advanced to drill home from sixteen yards. Glengad responded and were unlucky after a Fergal Doherty effort was blocked on the line with appeals for handball waved away. McCann  and Harkin played  a neat one two on 51 minutes for the latter  to fire his second goal low past McLaughlin and make it four nil . Harkin got in on the act then when he latched onto a long clearance and lobbed the advancing keeper. Glengad kept battling  and spurned two good chances after Brian Doherty headed over before PJ McDaid fed Niall McColgan but his effort was well saved by Terry McColgan. In the closing minutes Joe McCauley fired a free kick to the top corner before Harkin completed his hat trick with a neat finish.