Inishowen Football League Reports  28th Jan

Ulster  Junior Cup 

Buncrana Hearts

Carn FC 0

The home side playing against the wind began well with a Matthew Brown cross headed over by the unmarked Aaron McDaid on 13 minutes. A minute later they spurned a great chance after Jamie McDaid weas upended in the area but Kieran McDaids spot kick crashed off the post,     (Buncrana scorers ,Jamie McDaid & Shaunie Bradley)

Carn replied with a Ciaran O’Kane free which came off the head of a defender and Taylor Clarke saved superbly. Buncrana then took the lead on 19 minutes after a Kieran McDaid cross was flicked on by Shaunie Bradley for Jamie McDaid to fire home from six yards. Another McDaid cross was headed over by Jamie Mcdaid when eh was well placed and unmarked. On the stroke of half time  Carn went close again with a Kalvin Mclaughlin free which was turned round the post by Clarke. Buncrana dominated long spells of the second half and on 48 minutes a well worked corner saw Calvin Gallagher find Kieran McDaid who fired over from twelve yards. The Hearts doubled their lead on 52 minutes when Bradley swivelled well on the edge of the area and cooly slotted low past Daniel McDaid. They made it three nil on 64 minutes when Aaron McDaid’s low cross was inadvertently deflected to the net by an unfortunate defender. A  defensive lapse by the home side then allowed Cian Burke a sight of goal but as he attempted to round Clarke the keeper diverted the ball away. The final chance fell to the home side with substitute Conor Doherty cracking a twenty five yards free off the crossbar.


Cockhill Celtic 2

Donegal Town 0

In very windy conditions at the Charlie O’Donnell Sports Grounds 

the away side has the first chance on 3minutes when Declan Duignan’s powerful shot was well saved by Harry Doherty. Almost immediately Cockhill responded. When Adam Duffy pressured the keeper the ball broke to Corey McBride but his shot was blocked on the line. On 10minutes Sweeney showed great pace down the right. His cross found Duignan. With the home side appealing for offside he fired wide at near post. Cockhill created another opportunity midway through the half. After an exchange of passes Luke Rudden’s layoff found Adam McLaughlin at the edge of the box but  his  goalbound shot was blocked by Oisin Garrell. A Donegal Town corner  was half cleared to the edge of the box where Eoin Slevin’s shot was comfortably held by Doherty.

Cockhill  then had their best chance of the half. Brendan McLaughlin’s free kick was headed back across by Oisin McColgan but Adam Duffy blazed over from eight yards out. Playing with the wind, Cockhill dominated the second half but were frustrated by a disciplined Donegal Town side. After a succession of corners and free kicks the home side broke the deadlock on 59minutes. Luke Rudden’s shot was parried by Enda Kenny but Adam Duffy was on hand to fire home. Cockhill were on top now and Kenny had to be alert to tip Corey McBride’s shot around the post. Donegal Town responded with their best chance of the game. After a ricochet in the Cockhill box from a free kick, John Doherty has a headed chance but it went narrowly wide. Cockhill doubled their lead on 73minutes after good hold-up play from Garbhan Friel brought a chance for Corey McBride who placed the ball in the bottom corner from the edge of the box. A reverse ball from Conor Graham released fellow substitute Liam Grant but his shot under pressure was well blocked.

Grant has another effort whistle narrowly wide before Friel had a goal chalked off for a push but it was Cockhill Celtic who advance.


Jackie Crossan Premier Division

Shaun McCallion and Paddy Curran

Illies Celtic 2

Moville Celtic 0

Illies began well and Liam Doherty cut inside a defender but was unlucky to see his effort crash off the post. A Shaun McCallion run and cross was then superbly defended as  Doherty was ready to pounce. Moville had chances too and Puaric Skelly had a header from a Ryan McColgan free crash off the bar before McColgan had another free clip the top of the bar. The home side spurned the best chance of the half on the stroke of half time when McCallion  broke and pulled the ball back for Paul Duffy who fired over. Illies dominated the second half and opened the scoring in the 55th minute after McCallion went on a solo run through the Moville defence before slotting low past Ryan Coyle.  McCallion then picked out Liam Doherty with a superb cross but Doherty headed wide when well placed. Midway through the half a long range Dominic Coyle effort crashed off the bar but Patrick Curran was first to the loose ball to slot home and  double the home sides lead. McCallion was then denied by a superb one handed save from Coyle before the same player had the final chance but blazed over the bar.


Aileach FC 2

Greencastle FC 2

After what was a fairly even start in breezy conditions Greencastle took the lead on 15 minutes when a Kyle Harkin free kick wide on the right flew into the top corner. It was two nil five minutes later when the away side were awarded a penalty which Jamie McCormack converted low to Dylan Porters right. Within minutes  Aileach pulled a goal back after Caoimhin McFeeley pounced on a defensive error to slide the ball home from the edge of the box. On the half hour  the home side had a good opportunity to draw level when Darren Bradley raced on to a Gavin Doherty through ball but Caolan McGrory did well to deny the centre forward, blocking his effort from 16 yards before gathering at the second attempt. As half time approached Greencastle were awarded a second penalty for hand ball but Dylan Porter in the home goal did brilliantly to deny Kyle Harkin diving to his right to turn the ball round the post. If the first half was action packed the second was a much tighter affair with a lot of play condensed in the middle third and a combination of the breeze and a bobbly surface making life difficult for both sets of players, As the half progressed Aileach pushed more and more in search of an equaliser leaving gaps at the back. On one such occasion with Dylan Porter off his line a speculative effort from the halfway line clipped the bar and went over. In injury time a ball into midfield deceived a defender and Thomas McMonagle ran on to the ball and cooly lobbed McGrory from thirty yards  for a last gasp equaliser.


Strand Hotel First Division

Dunree United 2

Rashenny FC 1

The visitors created the first opportunity of the game on 7 minutes when Matthew Mclaughlin broke and his cross just eluded the inrushing David McLaughlin. Dunree responded on 19 minutes when a dangerous Thomas Mulhern cross was fisted clear by Gavin Mclaughlin under pressure. The home side opened the scoring midway through the half after Mulhern evaded two challenged and crossed for Sean McColgan to slide the ball  home from six yards. Dunree finished the half well with Marc Doherty releasing Jamie Brosnan who fired into the side netting before Doherty had an effort well saved by McLaughlin. With the wind Rashenny piled on the pressure in the second half but the final ball was letting them down.  Then on 57 minutes Dunree broke with Bernie Doherty laying the ball off for Adam Barrett whose effort was well parried by McLaughlin only for Jamie Brosnan to slam the loose ball home. Rashenny pulled a goal back on 77 minutes  following a corner which saw a scramble develop and Shane Gordon poked the ball home.Rashenny threw everything at the home side in the final ten minutes but the Dunree defence stood firm.


Cockhill Youths 4

Buncrana Res 1

Cockhill  started this game well with Liam Bradley and Darragh McDermott denied by fine saves from Sean Daly while Donal Og O Brien fired wide. Buncrana responded and when Michael Doherty found space inside the area he fired narrowly wide. Cockhill regained control after this and good play on the left from Dylan McDaid saw him find Darragh McDermott who  fired to the net from twelve yards.  Conor McDaid then rattled the bar with an inswinging corner before the same player was off target with another effort.  Coockhill made it two nil before the break when Christopher Duffy headed home from close range following a corner.  Buncrana had the first opportunity of the second period with a Bart Wesolowski effort which was well saved by Darragh O Donnell. Cockhill replied with O’Brien seeing an effort come back off the post and then McDermott off target with another effort. Buncrana got a goal back on the hour mark when Liam Jordan got ahead of a home defender and slotted low past O Donnell. Wesolowski then had another chance but O’Donnell saved well to keep the home side in front. Cockhill  weathered the storm and McDermott added a third goal after good approach from Dylan McDaid. They sealed the tie when Kieran McElroy pulled the ball back for Ronan Mclaughlin to slot home from twelve yards.


Culdaff FC 10


Culdaff got a dream start in the opening minute after good interplay between Brendan Mclaughlin and Keith Norris saw the latter lay the ball off for Jack O Brien to shoot  low past Jamie McColgan from ten yards. Brendan McLaughlin added the second goal with a well hit effort from outside the area which took a slight deflection.  On 17  minutes they made it three nil after a lovely flighted cross from Aiden Cunningham was met with a powerful Peter  Doherty header. A slip in the visitors defence allowed O’Brien to race clear and he evaded the challenge of keeper McColgan to slot home the fourth. Culdaff were well on top and a brilliant Michael Coyle effort from thirty yards crashed off the bar  but  McLaughlin reacted first to drill the rebound home. McLaughlin then completed his hat trick  when he got on the end of a Coyle pass to slot homer after a flowing move. The visitors pulled a goal back on the stroke of half time with a brilliant Aaron Scott strike giving Patrick McLaughlin no chance. The visitors had the first chance of the second half after Oisin Hillen headed the ball down for Mark Murray  whose effort was saved by substitute keeper Mark Smith. But Culdaff were relentless and after an O’Brien corner was  not cleared Mclaughlin pounced for his fourth and the home sides seventh.  O’Brien then completed his hat trick collected a superb defence splitting pass from Coyle and curling the ball low into the corner. Coyle then crashed a header off the bar before he made it nine one when he outmuscled the home defence before slotting past the stranded McColgan. The point lifted the pressure with a Seamus McFadden free kick well held by Smith at the second attempt. They got a second goal when  substitute Sean Og Gallagher found space inside the area to drill low to the corner from ten yards. But Culdaff hit back immediately with O’Brien laying the ball off for McLaughlin to curl a brilliant effort to the top corner and his fifth goal. The point also replied instantly with a long range effort from Hillen flying past Smith . Culdaff were then reduced to ten men after Coyle received a  straight red card for dissent in the final action of the game.


Carn Res 2

Greencastle Youths 0

With a strong wind behind them in the first half Carn started well with an early Dayton Cooke effort flying over the Greencastle bar. The opening 20 minutes saw Carn have sustained pressure and a number of corners but Greencastles defence stood firm. Midway through the half  Carns pressure was rewarded after an inswinging corner was headed away at the front post but fell kindly to the feet of Carn winger Shay Fallon who steadied himself before finishing low past Evan Davenport in the Greencastle goal. Greencastle then had their keeper to thank when he produced a top class save from Carns Callum Kelly. Kelly found himself through on the left, one on one with Davenport. He tried dinking the Greencastle keeper but Davenport produced a fine save to keep the score at one nil. In the second half Greencastle now had the wind and looked to capitalise. A shot from Cian Sharkey smashed off the Carn post and nearly drew Greencastle level. Carn looked to gain control once more and doubled their lead thanks to a Dayton Cooke penalty on 61 minutes after Fallon was fouled in the Greencastle box . With Greencastle throwing everything at Carn they put pressure on the Carn defence but it stood firm. With just 10 minutes to go Carn had the chance to end the game as a contest but Shay Fallons low drive hit the outside of Davenports goal. Greencastle continued to press but it was to no avail as Carn ran out winners.


Aileach Res 0

Redcastle United 0

After a scrappy opening the home side had the first opportunity when Emmet McCarron broke clear and flicked the ball over Michael McCole but a defender got back to clear. Redcastle with the win took over after this and Rory Hirrell and Eamon Donnelly were both off target with good efforts. Marc Bell was then denied by a superb block from Ryan Long before a mistake in the home defence presented Bell with another chance only for David McGeady to save well. On the stroke of half time Aileach replied with McCarron releasing Kevin Boyle   who was denied by a brilliant Cahir McLaughlin last ditch tackle. The opening period of the second  half was a tighter affair until just after the hour when  McCarrons effort was blocked by Josh McConalogue. Redcastle replied with a Stephen Grant effort which was well saved by the legs of McGeady. The home side were dealt a blow then after  James Wallace received a second yellow card but had another effort from Josh Boyle which flashed narrowly wide. Redcastle pressed hard and Shaun Curran blazed over after good work from Darragh McConway before Bells header from close range was saved by McGeady. Aileach had the final chance of the game when Stephen Doherty cut inside  but fired straight at McCole as the game ended scoreless.

Inishowen Engineering Division Two

Rashenny Res 0

Sea Rovers 3

The visitors dominated the opening half played in a difficult swirling wind in dry conditions. Andrew Gallagher had an early effort well saved by Davin McLaughlin in the home goal. Conor McCluskey was next to threaten when he broke through, rounded the keeper but saw his goal bound effort diverted behind by James McConalogue.  Mclaughlin in the home goal then produced a stunning point blank save to deny Gallagher on 13 minutes. The deadlock was broken in the 28th minute when Tiernan Stephens released Gallagher and hr fired low past Mclaughlin from fifteen yards. Rovers spurned another good chance after a Joey Holland effort took a deflection and came back off the post to McCluskey who blazed the rebound over the bar. After a slow start to the second half rovers doubled their lead in the 67th minute when Declan McGonagle laid the ball off for Conor Kelly whose low shot squirmed past McLaughlin. Shane Ward then made a goal saving tackle to deny McCluskey before Mclaughlin made a good save to deny Stephens from close range. Rovers continued to press and Liam Gallagher somehow failed to hit the target with the goal gaping. But they added a third goal late on  after a McGonagle cross found the inrushing  Andrew Gallagher to drill low to the bottom corner from the edge of the area.

Inishowen Engineering Division Two A

QPS Youths 0

Gleneely Colts 3

In blustery conditions the visitors began well and opened the scoring on 18 minutes when  the unmarked Shane Diver headed past Jamie McColgan in the home goal. A defensive slip in the home defence just before the break then allowed Diver to race clear, round McColgan and slot home to double the league leaders advantage. The Point started the second half well and Shaun McIvor went close with a powerfully struck effort well gathered by Ciaran Gallagher.  But the visitors sealed the points late on when Diver collected the ball and unleashed a superb twenty yards effort to the bottom corner to complete his hat trick.

Culdaff Res 3

Redcastle Res 3

Culdaff started this game well and opened the scoring on 11 minutes after a Jack Curley shot came back off the post and Billy Hume reacted first to slot past Oisin Quigley. But the visitors equalied shortly after when the home defence failed to cut out a long ball from Quigley allowing Gary Kelly  to shoot low past Odhran Douglas in the home goal. Culdaff regained the lead on the half hour mark when Tiernan McGeoghaghan found Sean McGrenaghan on the edge of the area and he lobed the advancing keeper for an excellent finish.  But the visitors got back on terms before the break when Kelly despatched a free kick from the edge of the area to the bottom corner. Culdaff had the first chance of the second half but Curley headed over when well placed. There was little action then until the 71st minute when the home side regained the lead. Jamie Mclaughlin advanced and fed McGeoghaghan  to fire low past Quigley from fifteen yards. Redcastle salvaged a point late in the game after the home defence failed to clear a cross and substitute John Lynch fired home from close range.

Inishowen Engineering Division Two B

Dunree Res 1

Glengad Res 0

The home side followed up last weeks win with another three points here. They took the lead on 11 minutes after James Quinn pounced on a loose ball to drill low past  McLaughlin. Dunree had another good chance before the break when Patrick Doherty fired just past the post from ten yards. On the stroke of half time John Moran then saw  his free kick brilliantly tipped round the post.  Dunree began the second half on the front foot pinning the visitors back and again Quinn was denied by a superb finger tip save. Glengad rallied late in the game  with a Paul McGonagle effort well saved by Philip Doherty in the home goal. Glengad spurned a gilt edged chance in the final minutes after McGonagle 

Carrowmena FC 4

Rashenny ROVERS 0


(Carrowmena goalscorers Cathal Crumlish,Ruairi Dougal (2) & Samuel Bredin.)

Carrowmena took the lead in the 10th minute after a Ryan McDermott free into a crowded area saw Samuel Bredin rise highest to head past Roger McGilloway to the roof of the net. McGilloway then made a stunning one handed save to turn a Ciaran Bonner effort behind for a corner.Midway through the half the home side increased their lead. Mark Doherty began the move finding McDermott on the right and his low cross was not cleared allowing Ruairi Dougal to fire to the roof of the net. The home side had another gilt edged chance before the interval when Adam Harkin was upended inside the area but he blazed the resultant spot kick over the bar. Carrowmena increased their lead in the 55th minute after a McDermott corner was headed home by Dougal from eight yards to the roof of net. It became four nil on 78 minutes after Ryan Mclaughlin fed Gerard McLaughlin whose first time pass released Cathal Crumlish to beat the offside trap and slot low past the advancing McGilloway. McGilloway then made  a superb block to deny Aaron Price in the final goal mouth action.