Inishowe 1-1 Limerick

Inishowen 1-1 Limerick Aet

Inishowen won 4-3 on Pens

Inishowen advanced to  their 3rd all Ireland Oscar Traynor Trophy Final in 5 years having reached 5 successive semi finals a remarkable achievement for one of the smallest leagues in the country yet this was by no means easy Inishowen got out of jail not once but twice today firstly going a goal behind five min into extra time only to snatch a equaliser with a few seconds remaining and then to miss the first penalty to hand Limerick the advantage again but to the rescue came goal keeper Kevin Mc Laughlin with brilliant penalty saves to break the hearts of Limerick

The first half of this game was end to end both teams played good attacking football from the start Limerick  had the first opportunity when Eoin Hanrahan put in a free to the back post for John Cooney to head back across goal but Inishowen cleared the danger, at the other end a fine run by Michael Barr saw his effort just wide of the upright, then a Michael Byrne free found Anthony Doherty his shot took a deflection and the keeper gathered, on 11min a Limerick corner taken by Hanrahan was cleared at the  expense of a throw in, Terence Doherty then had the ball in the net but was adjudged to have fouled the defender,   then a Inishowen move saw Brendan Mc Laughlin feed Dillion Ruddy but his cross was over hit, Limerick had a efford from the right by Danny O’ Neill sail over, then Kevin Mc Laughlin punched clear a Limerick corner from Hanrahan and a Limerick free fell to Shane Clarke and his shot was deflected behind, Inishowen responded and Nigel Mc Monagle put in a good cross which was headed out to Brendan Mc Laughlin his effort from the edge of the area was behind, Limerick should have taken the lead on 26 min firstly John Tirney’s effort was blocked by Mc Laughlin it fell to John Cooney six yards out and his goal bound effort was brilliantly blocked by Michael Barr, Brendan Mc Laughlin then had a free which hit the wall the ball rebounded to him but he shot straight at Keeper Neville from another Limerick corner Clarke’s header was held by Mc Laughlin, and then the keeper cleared from O’ Neill, Nigel Mc Monagle then crossed for Terence Doherty his effort was well held by Neville, and then Mc Monagle miss hit a effort just before half time and the final action of the first half saw a Mc Laughlin corner fall to Matty Henry his turn and shot was just over the bar.

Limerick had a good chance early in the second half Clarke made a good run but delayed his shot allowing Michael Byrne to dispose him Mc Laughlin then whipped in a great cross which the diving Doherty failed to connect with, Limerick spurred another chance on 59 min a Clarke header from eight yards was brilliantly tipped over the bar by Mc Laughlin,  Alex Purcell replaced Hanrahan in the Limerick side on 70 min and Inishowen introduced Aiden Friel and Sean Doherty for Anthony Doherty and Dillion Ruddy, both teams were noticeably tiring and not wanting to concede as the clock ticked down passes were going astray and efforts were over hit as full time approached and the game ended 0-0, at the start of extra time Limerick sent on  Jonathan Grant and  Kieran O’ Connell for John Cooney and Pat Boyle and it was O’ Connell who broke the deadlock in the fifth min of extra time rising high to beat Mc Laughlin to the ball from a Tierney Cross to lead 1-0 at the break in the second period of extra time Inishowen withdrew Michael Barr and sent on Aileach’s Gavin Doherty in search of the equaliser, Limerick then introduced Maxim Boghou for Tierney as Limerick tried to run down the clock but with seconds left Mathew Byrne put in a cross which was headed down by John Gerard Mc Laughlin and up popped Terence Doherty who was well marshalled all game by Limerick’s Mullang and Fitzgerald but Doherty got his chance and smashed the ball low past Neville to send the home bench into ecstasy the was just enough time  to restart the game as referee Kilcoyne blew for the end of the game, into penalties and Inishowen was first up Mc Monagle’s shot saved by Neville to hand advantage to Limerick  but Brendan Mc Laughlin, Sean Doherty, Michael Byrne and John Gerard Mc Laughlin all dispatched their spot kicks and Kevin Mc Laughlin having saved O’ Connell penalty sent Inishowen into the final with a brilliant fifth penalty save from O’ Neill, it’s a long trip back home for Limerick who know they had this game in their hands twice but let Inishowen snatch victory at the death, Inishowen now await the the outcome of next week’s semi-final between Clare the current holders and Wexford to see who they meet in the final which will  be played in Maginn Park in May

Inishowen League: Kevin McLaughlin; Michael Barr (Gavin Doherty 100), Michael Byrne, John Gerard McLaughlin, Matthew Byrne; Anthony Doherty (Aiden Friel 70), Dillon Ruddy (Sean Doherty 74), Matthew Henry, Nigel McMonagle; Terence Doherty, Brendan McLaughlin.


Limerick District League: Gary Neville; Danny O’Neill, John Mullane, Dermot Fitzgerald, Eddie O’Donovan; John Connery (Jonathan Grant 90), John Boyle (Kieran O’Connell 90), Pat Boyle, Eoin Hanrahan (Alex Purcell 70); John Tierney (Maxim Boghiou 107), Shane Clarke.

Referee: Paul Kilcoyne (Sligo-Leitrim League).


Some Consolation for Limerick as their U/18s beat Inishowen 2-1 today at Aileach’s Lake Side to reach the final of the competition