Full Match Reports from Sunday 16th December

Sunday 16th  December

Jackie Crossan Premier Division 

Carn FC                           0

Glengad United                 6

Glengad broke the deadlock on the first minute when Stephen McLaughlin made a great run on the right wing and crossed it for Terence Doherty who was unmarked and slotted it to the bottom right corner of the net past Fergal Doherty from 15 yards.

Glengad made it two nil on 12 minutes when Adam Byrne pass from midfield found Christy McLaughlin on the left wing and delivered it to his brother Stephen who laid it off for James McKinney who drove a powerful shot to the bottom left corner of the net from inside the 18 yard box. Glengad made it three nil on 19 minutes after a Michael Byrne pass from midfield found Christy McLaughlin on the left wing and he rounded the defender and squared it to Terence Doherty whose shot rebounded off the right post and Conor Barrow got the rebound and slotted it past Fergal Doherty from 10 yards. Carn tried to pull one back on 25 minutes when a Ryan McLaughlin pass from midfield found Brandon Browne on right wing who crossed for Cade Cooke who shot low to the right and wide from 10 yards. Then a Cade Cooke free kick on right side outside 18 yard box found Dermot Doherty who shot low to right and wide from 10 yards.

In the second half Carn got a great chance on 55 minutes when a Conor O’Donnell pass from midfield found Brandon Browne and he crossed for substitute Lorcan Bradley who failed to hit the target when well placed. Glengad had a chance to make it 4-0 on 65 minutes when a John Gerard McLaughlin pass  found Christy McLaughlin who passed it to Michael Byrne who shot low to the right and wide from 10 yards. Glengad made it 4-0 on 69 mins when an Adam Byrne pass from midfield found Conor Barrow and he went one on one with Fergal Doherty who shot low past him to the bottom corner of the net from 15 yards. It was 5-0 on 78 minutes when Michael Byrne pass from midfield found Stephen McLaughlin on the right wing and crossed it to Terence Doherty who shot low to the right corner of the net from 12 yards. Glengad rounded it up on 83 minutes when Christy McLaughlin run on the left wing and he crossed it for Terence Doherty who shot from 15 yards deflected off the defender into the bottom right corner of the net.

Greencastle FC                  2

Buncrana Hearts               1

Buncrana started the game well but were caught out midway through the half when they conceded from a corner. Eamon Donnelly’s delivery  found Jamie McCormick who drilled towards goal and James Gallagher in the hearts goal was left helpless as a slight deflection took the ball past him. But the visitors equalised after excellent work by Kieran McDaid released Mark McFadden who found Michael Coyle to tap home at the back post. Buncrana had another good chance before the interval when Coyle found himself in a great position but failed to hit the target from eight yards. Five minutes after the restart the visitors spurned another glorious chance when McDaid’s cross found Calvin Gallagher but well placed he fired wide. In a quick counter attack Greencastle’s Stephen Grant forced a fine save from Gallagher on the hour mark. With five minutes left more superb play from McDaid saw his cross find Kevin O’Loughlin but he nodded wide as another chance went  abegging. With it looking like a draw Buncrana lost possession and some intricate interplay ended with Nigel McMonagle crossing for substitute Christy Hegarty to fire home what turned out to be the winner. Buncrana almost snatched a point late on but Gavin Harkin was on hand to clear McDaid’s effort off the line as Greencastle continue their unbeaten run to date this season.

Illies Celtic                          4

Redcastle United              0

Illies dominated this game from start to finish and but for the heroics of Michael McCole in the visitors goal the deficit would have  been much greater. McCole made three excellent saves in the first half to deny  Adam Duffy and two efforts from Liam Grant as the half ended scoreless. But Illies broke the deadlock on 50minutes when Grant’s effort ricochet off a defender for Adrian Donaghey-Doherty to fire to the roof of the net. Minutes later the same player doubled the lead when great play by Adam Duffy set him up inside the area. When McCole parried a deep corner on the hour mark the ball fell to Liam Doherty who hammered high to the net to make it three nil. Illies completed the scoring late on after Paddy Doherty beat three defenders and slotted past McCole.

Clonmany Shamrocks                  1

Aileach FC                                        1

Aileach created the first opportunity in the 5th minute when Dermot Doherty got in down the left side but saw his shot glance of the foot of Patrick Harkin’s left hand post. Clonmany took the lead in the 15th minute when Jake Harkin’s strong forward run was halted illegally on the right side of the box and Niall McLaughlin’s left foot free kick found the top right hand corner of the Aileach net giving Ciaran Bradley no chance. Aileach almost got back on level terms in the 29th minute when Shaun Mullan broke in from the right side and drew Patrick Harkin’s but saw his low drive go past the post. Both teams  cleared their benches  in the second half and Clonmany sub Jason Doherty saw a speculative effort from the right wing go just over in  the 64th minute with Ciaran Bradley scrambling back to cover. Patrick Harkin  made a good save in the 66th minute to thwart Aileach’s Shaun Mullan scoring from close range. Niall McLaughlin almost scored his second of the day in the 71st minute when he was set up by Brendan Devlin’s pass back to the penalty spot but his effort was blocked on the line by a combination of Ciaran Bradley,  Darren Gallagher and Keith McColgan and cleared to safety. Aileach equalised in the 80th minute when they were awarded a free kick on the 18 yard line directly in front of goal and Gavin Doherty sent his shot to the top left hand corner of Patrick Harkin’s goals. Aileach pressed for a winner in the remaining 10 minute’s with some desperate Clonmany defending just keeping them at bay but it was Clonmany who had the last opportunity in the final minute when Jason Doherty’s right wing cross was met by  Brendan Devlin’s run but his header went just past the post .

Strand Hotel First Division 

Cockhill Youths                  2         

QPS                                        2

In a cracking game for the neutral both Cockhill and QPS had to settle for a share of the spoils after their top of the table encounter ended 2-2 at the Charlie O’Donnell Sports Grounds .The visitors started the livelier of the two sides and in Finbar Harley they had a player who was causing a few problems for the home side. Harley got in behind his fullback early in the first five minutes but shat wide of the near post without any trouble to Declan Caldwell in the home goal. Jack McDaid the blazed over from 10 yards after good work by Keegan Hegarty and David Laird on the right. On 16 minutes Finbar Harley combined with namesake Stephen Harley to get another shot away but this time it went wide of the keepers left hand post. Stephen McKendry then blazed over from 12 yards for the visitors on 25 minutes after a corner by S Harley. Cockhill opened the scoring on 34 minutes when Jack McDaid controlled a pass from Hegarty to shot through Aiden Lynchs legs for a 1-0 nil lead and thats how they stayed until the break.

The second half started with Cockhill on the front foot but it was the visitors who levelled when Finbar Harley picked up a long pass from defence by Ryan McKendry to hit a powerful right foot shot past Caldwells left had into the net from 20 yards out on the right. Keegan Hegarty responded for the home side and Lynch, in the QPS goal, had to be alert to tip his goalbound strike over the bar with it heading for the top corner. QPS took the lead on 70 minutes when John McCloskey got on the end of a McKendry cross to bundle the ball home from three yards out with the home side looking for a foul on the keeper. Cockhill levelled the game on 82 minutes when Adam McCarron rose highest in the area to power a header past Lynch from eight yards after a great delivery from substitute Adam McLaughlin. The final ten minutes saw both teams go for the win but neither side created any real chances. On the balance of play a draw was a fair result

Dunree United                   1

Rasheney FC                       1

The home side took the lead on 12 minutes when Matthew Doherty’s low cross was flicked past Sean Friel by Darryl Moran from ten yards. But Rasheney levelled on 36 minutes after John McLaughlin found space in the area to calmly slot past Sean Parker from twelve yards. Dunree dominated the second period but could not convert the chances they created. Moran had an effort superbly saved by Friel before substitute Liam Baldrick’s flick came off the bar. Then Friel saved a twenty five yards free from Berne Doherty before Friel made an unbelievable one handed save to deny Moran from six yards out. Then rasheney almost snatched a winner in injury time when  John McLaughlin raced onto a ball over the top but blasted wide.



Buncrana Reserves          0

Moville Celtic                     2

As a contest this match was over after five minutes by which time Michael Mc Nutt had given Moville a two goal lead which they never looked like relinquishing and must be still wondering how they didn’t add to their lead with all the possession and territorial advantage they enjoyed for the remaining eighty five minutes. Hearts did defend manfully with keeper Paul Mc Daid pulling of three fine saves, two of which came in sixty second and sixty fourth minute when he found himself one on one, both times, denying Coalan Doherty. At the other end Moville’s keeper, Ryan Coyle was a virtual spectator and wasn’t called upon to make a save. Going into the Christmas break Moville remain top of Division One, but surely they have to expect tougher matches and for Buncrana their fight against relegation looks to be a long hard struggle.

Gleneely Colts                   5

Sea Rovers                          0

Played in bright crisp conditions, Gleneely opened the scoring on 15minutes when a corner by Dylan McDaid, found John Doherty to poke the ball home from eight yards into the corner. Gleneely went two up on the half hour, when Billy McCann was brought down in the area and Dylan McDaid blasted the resulting penalty to the top corner past Watson. Sea rovers had the first chance of the second half when Gary Farrens stinging effort was tipped round the post by Ben Miller in the home goal. Gleneely went three ahead  on 55minutes when a ball from Nathan McLaughlin found Dylan McDaid who in turn found Billy McCann to blast home from twenty yards. Great play from JP McDermott to release Billy McCann who slid Nathan McLaughlin through on goal and he tucked the home home under the advancing keeper from ten yards. With five minutes left Gleneely completed the scoring when a ball from Corey O’Brien across the penalty area was scored by Nathan McLaughlin low and hard from ten yards.

Division Two               

Culdaff Res              3

Illies Res                  2

In an entertaining game on Friday night the home side gave themselves a chance of making the top division after the cut with this hard fought victory. They had the first chance on 11 minutes when Matthew Crampsey fed Niall Mclaughlin whose effort was cleared off the line. Illies responded two minutes later and took the lead after the home defence failed to clear a corner and Laim O’Connor slotted home from close range. Midway through the half the home side levelled when a Michael McFadden cross cum shot deceived  Kevin Gallagher and landed in the net.Before the break the home side spurned a great chance after Gary Collins was upended in the area but McLaughlin’s weak spot kick was easily saved low to his right by  Gallagher .After an even start to the second period the home side took the lead on the hour mark when a deep corner from Joe O’Connor found Ryan Greene who squared the ball for McLaughlin to slot home from close range. They increased their lead when they were awarded another penalty for handball and this time McLaughlin fired high to the keepers left hand side to make it three one. The visitors rallied and got a goal back on 82 minutes after good work on the right by William McLaughlin ended when he squared the ball to Ethan Doherty to slide the ball low into the corner past Puaric O’Donnell. Illies exerted a lot of pressure in the closing stages but the home defence stood firm.

Aileach Youths                   1

Greencastle Res                2

Aileach and Greencastle started at a frenetic pace with both midfield trios going toe to toe in the opening exchanges.  On 20 Joe and Ronan Doherty combined for the latter to come off the wing and fire wide.  Aileach came close 10 minutes before half time when Liam Watson went on a weaving run from the left wing and laid the ball of to Benny Hegarty whose goalbound shot was deflected wide.  Two minutes before the break Greencastle almost took the lead when Ronan Doherty’s cross was controlled by Joe Doherty and laid into the path on David Walker who shot narrowly wide.  Greencastle took the lead on the stroke of half time when a Joe Doherty corner was powerfully headed in by Shaun Cavanagh via the underside of the bar. Greencastle came close again just after the restart when Ronan Doherty got behind the Aileach defence and found Joe Doherty whose shot was parried by Ryan Fox before his defence completed the job.  Ten minutes into the second half Greencastle doubled their advantage when Ronan Doherty again got through and although Fox parried his initial shot, he reacted quickest to  poke home.  Aileach upped the tempo after this and pulled a goal back with 15 minutes to go when Ryan Wilson hammered home after a corner was only partially cleared.  Aileach pressed in the latter stages and the closest the came was when Darren Bradley played the ball into the path of Stephen Doherty who looked like he was going to sidefoot into the bottom corner before David Henry threw himself in front of the goalbound shot. Greencastle defended stoutly in the final minutes of the game to take all three points.

Moville Res             2         

Clonmany Res        4

Moville started the better with Danny Murphy being denied by a fine save from Killian McCarron. They took the lead on 19 minutes when Murphy fired a superb effort to the top corner from the edge of the area. The home side went close again with Michael Grimley heading just wide. But Clonmany equalised with their first attack after Dessie Doherty turned well inside the area and drilled low past Maurice McGeady. Clonmany then took the lead before the break when a cross cum shot from John Porter deceived McGeady and landed in the net.After the break McGeady made a fine save to deny Pearse McCarron while at the other end Murphy broke clear but McCarron saved well. Clonmany increased their lead midway through the half when the home defence failed to clear and Conor Doherty pounced to drill home from ten yards. Moville rallied and when  Graeme Doherty spot kick was superbly saved by McCarron the ball fell nicely for Doherty to convert the rebound. But the visitors sealed the points late on after David McGonigle fired low past McGeady after a good though ball from Conor Doherty.