Ground: School Field, Muff

Secretary: Teresa Gill Ardmore Muff Tel 00447710837245

Email address : or

First Team Manager: Sean Paul Mc Cabe

Other Contacts: Brian Rutherford 086-8632959: Shaun Gallagher Tel 086-8371204

Reserve Team Manager: Damian Mc Callion

Other Contacts:  Sean Gallagher Tel. 086-8371024

First Team Colours: Navy Tops: Navy Shorts: Navy Socks.

Second Strip: Blue/White Tops: Navy Shorts: White Socks.

Reserve Team Colours: White/Navy Tops: Navy Shorts: WhiteSocks

Second Strip: Navy Tops: Navy Shorts: Navy Socks.


History: Quigleys Point Swifts were founded in 1970 by Donal Murray. The team comprised of locals from the surrounding Iskaheen and Muff areas. Starting with one senior mens team they enjoyed great success in the local Inishowen League and later on in the FAI Junior Cup. In 1985 they then joined the Derry & District League (D&D). In successive seasons they won Division 4, 3, and 2, collecting the McAlinden Cup on the way. Two years later the team won the Division title and the coveted Bull Park Sevens against a team which contained senior league players. QPS made a clean sweep of trophies in Inishowen on 2 successive seasons winning the top cups, The Carthill cup, The McIvor cup and the League Championship. The club also won the League Championship on six out of seven seasons going undefeated on 2 of them. QPS won the Carn cup in two successive seasons. The Anti-Fire Ulster cup when they defeated a strong Letterkenny Rovers side 3-1 on St Patricks Day 1980 at Maginn Park. They were beaten Semi Finalists in the Buncranna open cup, defeated 2-1 by old rivals Fanad Utd. QPS had 4 very successful seasons in the entering the 4 division and moving up to the 1st Division undefeated in the League and winning the Bishops Cup defeating the very successful Foyle Harps 2-1 on Easter Monday. They also won the prestigious Bull Park Sevens 1,000 Competition defeating Clifton Villa in the final 7-6 after being beaten a few years previously by Celtic Swifts.

End of season

Another successful season has concluded in Inishowen Football with the AGM on Wednesday last and the Presentation dinner on Friday night, it brings to a close another busy season for clubs and their Committee’s, the Inishowen League would like to thank all those clubs their players’ Managers and Committee’s for their help and Cooperation during the season past, the new season will  commence on Friday 19th August with the Clubman Shirts League Cup, there will be a meeting with managers on Wednesday 2nd August at 7-30pm when registration forms will be accepted at the AGM on Wednesday night the Following were elected to the League Committee

Chairperson = Laurence Mc Colgan

Vice Chairperson = Gerard Davenport

Secretary = Diarmuid O’ Brien

Assistant Secretary = Jude Mc Crossan

Treasurer = John Mc Laughlin

PRO = Terence Hegarty

Inshowen League Presentation Dinner

Shane Crossan Crossan Jewelers presents the Premier Division Trophy to Glengad United Captain John Gerard Mc laughlin also in photo Brendan Mc laughlin (Culdaff) Player of the Year, and Adam Byrne collecting the top goal scorer award on Behalf of Terence Doherty ( Glengad)







John Keys Strand Hotel presents the Strand Hotel First Division Shield to Dominick Coyle (Illies Celtic) also in Photo Liam Mc Gonigle (Clonmany Reserves) Player of the Year and Kevin Mc Gonagle collecting the top goal scorer award on behalf of Michael Coyle (Illies Celtic)






Eddie Mc Namee presents the Inishowen Engineering Division Two “A” shield to Mark Mc Fadden ( Buncrana Hearts Reserves) also in photo Gavin Mc Laughlin collecting the player of the year trophy on behalf of Corey O’ Brien (Gleneely Colts) and P.J. Mc Daid ( Glengad Reserves top goal scorer







Eddie Mc Namee presents the Inishowen Engineering Division Two “B” shield to Andy Mc Elhinney( Cockhill Reserves ) also in photo Declan O’ Donnell (Aileach Youths) player of the year and Gary Breslin (Cockhill Reserves) and Cade Cooke (Carn Reserves) joint top goal scorer’s






Denis Kelly presents the Buncrana Credit Union Cup to Liam Mc Carron (Buncrana Hearts) also in photo is Colin Louge collecting the man of the match award on behalf of Ryan Curran (Buncrana Hearts) and John Mc Laughlin league treasurer







Eilish Grant presents the Clubman Shirts Cup to Kevin Harkin (Clonmany Shamrocks) also in photo Mikey Friel (Clonmany Shamrocks) man of the Match, Terence Hegarty League PRO








Mary Hannon and Lorraine Greene presents the Hannon Greene Fr O’ Gara Cup to Dominick Coyle (Illies Celtic) also in photo is Stephen Grant (Illies Celtic) man of the match and Jude Mc Crossan League Registrar









Herbie Barr Provinical Administrator presents the Cassidy Bros club of the year trophy to Kevin Noone (Rasheney Reserves) also in photo Jude Mc Crossan collecting the award on behalf of Charlie Gibbons and Terence Hegarty League PRO






Bernard Gubbins presenting the Charlie O’ Donnell trophy to Dillon Ruddy (Culdaff F.C.) also in photo Fiona Gubbins Darren Mullarkey ( Culdaff) man of the Match and laurence Mc colgan League Chairman








Peter Mc Laughlin presents the Donegal Signs Reserve League Shield to Eoin Gillen   (Moville Reserves) olso in photo Kevin Mc Dermott (Moville Reserves) man of the match and Laurence Mc Colgan League Chairman , Terence Hegarty League PRO






Herbie Barr presents the Ulster Junior Cup to Kevin Mc Laughlin (Glengad United) also in photo Denis Mc Gonagle ,Michael Byrne, Shane Byrne (Glengad) and Laurence Mc Colgan League Chairman










Trophy’s on display at presentation dinner







Strand Hotel looking for League Presentation





Presentation Dinner

Inishowen Football League Presentation Dinner in Strand Hotel Ballyliffen on Friday 9th June at 8pm


Inishowen Football League’s AGM next Wednesday 6th June in Maginn at 7pm All Clubs must attend

Agony for Inishowen in Oscar Traynor Final

Agony for Inishowen League as Hayes fires Clare to Oscar Traynor glory


Eoin Hayes’s goal, three minutes into the second half, saw the Clare District League retain the Oscar Traynor Trophy after a narrow win over Inishowen League in Buncrana this afternoon.

Inishowen League 0 Clare District League 1

Diarmuid O’Brien’s Inishowen battled right to the death, but couldn’t find a way past a sturdy Clare defence that was brilliantly marshalled by Stephen Kelly and Daragh Corry and Clare ace Hayes proved the matchwinner.

The only goal arrived when Hayes was slipped through by David McCarthy and he fired across Inishowen ‘keeper Kevin McLaughlin into the far corner.

McCarthy netted four times in last year’s 5-2 final win over Leinster Senior League while Hayes, along with defender Kelly, is in the Ireland squad for the Regions Cup squad later in the year in Turkey.

The deadly Hayes scored in four of the five previous rounds and this was his seventh strike in the Oscar Traynor campaign

Clare – who included in their number former Clare All-Ireland winning hurler Barry Ryan, who scored 0-70 in the 2013 All-Ireland Senior Hurling Championship – might have doubled their advantage when, after Hayes and McCarthy combined again, but Paddy O’Malley’s shot was blocked by John Gerard McLaughlin, while Hayes had another attempt that deflected narrowly wide.

Greencastle’s Matthew Henry injected new life into the Inishowen challenge and the home side could have been level on the hour when a wonder one-handed save by ex-League of Ireland ‘keeper Barry Ryan kept out a brilliant shot by Inishowen captain Brendan McLaughlin, whose clever first-time shot looked destined for the top corner.

Seven minutes from time, Henry created an opening for McLaughlin, whose shot from 10 yards lacked power and Ryan gathered with ease, but Inishowen were closer still when Henry fired off the inside of the post after a one-two with Terence Doherty and McLaughlin was over from the follow up.


It was the first time all afternoon that Ryan was beaten, but the post came to Clare’s rescue – after Joe Collins, a Clare sub, was thwarted by Kevin McLaughlin at the other end.

Inishowen were appearing in their third Oscar Traynor final. Having lost lost to AUL in July 2013, they defeated Limerick at Maginn Park in 2015, when goals by Stephen Fildara and Kieran McDaid made history.

Inishowen have been very consistent and have been in five semi-finals in recent years, but defending champions Clare have been every bit as deadly in this competition and it was a final played on an as-usual excellent Maginn Park.

Inishowen made one change from their dramatic penalty shoot-out win over Limerick in the semi-final as Shane Canning came in to start for the first time since sustaining a knee injury in March.

Canning hadn’t played since March 28 when he limped out of Glengad United’s Charlie O’Donnell Cup defeat to Illies Celtic, but was thrust into the starting XI here, with Matthew Henry the man to make way.

It had been a cagey opening before Inishowen’s Terence Doherty drew the first save of the day, forcing Ryan into a save low to his right. Doherty, Inishowen’s lone frontman, was forced into a shot from the right-hand side with a lack of numbers in support, but it was a decent attempt by the Glengad striker.

Earlier in the game, a tidy Inishowen move saw Doherty release his namesake, Anthony, down the right, but his cross for Brendan McLaughlin was cut out.

Clare had the better of the opening plays without really threatening McLaughlin’s goal and the visitors had two claims for penalties waved away by Paul Duddy, the referee, after Doherty was denied by Ryan, first when Paddy O’Malley went to ground and then when an O’Malley free kick was diverted around the back by Nigel McMonagle. The ball cannoned off McMonagle’s chest but the appeals were strong, though the referee’s call was correct; while the same certainty wasn’t as evident for the first, the protests from Clare weren’t all that convincing.

Clare were turning the screw in phases and their attacking duo of Eoin Hayes and David McCarthy always looked threatening.

It took a Michael Byrne back heel to cut out a Hayes cross in the early moments while Hayes opened the possibilities for McCarthy only for Matthew Byrne to step in with a superb tackle.

Before the break, Daragh Corry headed over from an O’Malley corner but Clare wasted little time in grabbing the lead in the 48th minute – and it was to prove the only goal of a tense contest that was in the final right to the final shrill of the whistle.

Inishowen League: Kevin McLaughlin; Michael Barr, Michael Byrne, John Gerard McLaughlin, Matthew Byrne; Anthony Doherty (Shaun Doherty 87), Shane Canning (Matthew Henry 64), Dillon Ruddy, Nigel McMonagle (Fearghal Harkin 87); Brendan McLaughlin; Terence Doherty.

Clare District League: Barry Ryan; Conor Mullen, Stephen Kelly, Daragh Corry, Eoin O’Brien; Colin Smyth (Ian Collins half-time), Niall Whelan, Colin Ryan (Joe Collins 83), Paddy O’Malley (Eoin Whelan 65); Eoin Hayes, David McCarthy (Tommy McKeown 80).

Referee: Paul Duddy (Donegal).

Oscar Traynor Final

The Countdown is on to Sunday’s All Ireland Final

Inishowen V Clare in the Oscar Traynor Trophy Inishowen 2015 winners take on the 2016 winners Clare in what should be a tight game kick off is 12 Noon and a big crowd is expected come along and support the League in their bid to reclaim the trophy

Oscar Traynor Final

Sunday 28th May 

Oscar Traynor All Ireland Inter League Trophy Final

Maginn Park 12 noon  KO  ET  &  Pens

Inishowen League  V Clare League

Paul Duddy assisted by J Coll  & M Quinn.

4th Official   Vincent McLaughlin

All roads lead to Maginn Park this Sunday when Inishowen attempt to claim their second All Ireland Oscar Traynor trophy in three seasons. Probably the most consistent team in the competition in the latter years Inishowen have been in five successive semi finals and this is their third final in that period. The fact that they face the defending champions Clare means that the two most consistent teams in recent times clash in this final. Inishowen started out this year with a three one win away to Sligo in November before at the end of that month Terence Doherty struck a late  winner in a two one win at home to Donegal. A superb second half display saw Inishowen hit seven against Cavan Monaghan and top the group scoring twelve goals in reply to five conceded. In a tough dour game against Roscommon Inishowen recorded a two one win with goals from Terence and Anthony Doherty to set up a home semi final against Limerick.

In another tough close encounter chances were few and far between and it ended scoreless after 90 minutes. When Limerick scored in the first period  of extra time it looked as if Inishowen would crash out but in the final attack Terence Doherty popped up to turn a John G McLaughlin header to the net and set up a penalty shootout. Despite missing their first kick Inishowen won four three  on penalties  to advance to the final. Clare are a formidable side and like Inishowen lost a semi final before they came back and won last years final with a five two win over the Leinster Senior League. They have some quality players especially centre back Stephen Kelly who won the Junior player of the year award and centre forward Eoin Hayes who scored both goals from the penalty spot  in their semi final win away in Wexford. Indeed both players are part of the Republic Of Ireland regions cup squad who have qualified for the European Finals. Other prominent players are goalkeeper Barry Ryan, full back Eoin O Brien and midfield players Paddy O’Malley and David McCarthy. All in all it should be another superb occasion and with home advantage  Inishowen will be hoping to make it count. Key men for  the home side are undoubtedly the experience of the Byrne brothers and John G McLaughlin in defence while in midfield the creativity  of Matthew Henry and Brendan McLaughlin will be pivotal as will the efforts of Terence Doherty in attack. Others looking to get the start will be Michael Barr, William Mc Laughlin, DJ Canavan  and Ryan Kelly while Shaun Doherty, Gavin Doherty, Dillon Ruddy, Anthony Doherty and Nigel McMonagle will give options in midfield. In goals both Darragh and Kevin McLaughlin have proven their worth this season so far and neither  will let the side down. One player who will not feature is Aiden Friel who has been excellent all season but is away  while Ferghal Harkin, Kieran Harkin and Shane Canning are on the way back from long term injuries and it remains to be seen if they will feature but they will be given every chance to prove their fitness.

All clubs are asked to get behind the team and give them their support as they attempt to add a second Oscar Traynor title to their collection.


Buncrana Credit Union Cup Final


Denis Kelly from Buncrana Credit Union presents the Credit Union Cup to

Liam Mc Carron captain of Buncrana Hearts

Sunday 14th May 

Buncrana Credit Union Cup Final 

Buncrana Hearts          1       (won 6.5 on penalties)

Greencastle FC            1

As expected this was a close hard fought affair with Greencastle having more of the possession and playing some intricate stuff but failing to create clear chances in the final third. Buncrana had a clear chance in the opening minute when Stephen McHugh carved open the Greencastle defence with a superb ball into the path of Liam McCarron and he lifted his effort past J P O Doherty but wide. Greencastle had alot of possession then with Christy Hegarty, Matthew Henry and Michael Barr all firing long range efforts high and over the bar.  Their best chance fell on 38 minutes when after a corner was returned to Henry his cross broke to Hegarty whose first effort was blocked by Eoghan O Doherty but he fired the rebound wide. Then a deep cross from Doherty from the left found Hegarty to the back post but he headed wide. Buncrana replied on the stroke of half time when McHugh fed Adam Duffy and his cross took a deflection and went just past O Doherty’s left hand post. In injury time Greencastle’s Jamie McCormick fired inches over the bar. McCormick  then created another good chance when his cross in the opening minute of the second period found Hegarty but again he failed to hit target when unmarked twelve yards out. Buncrana replied and after Weesoloski broke on the right he pulled the ball back for McHugh but O Doherty parried and gathered at the second attempt. On 52 minutes Shaun Doherty unleashed a powerful effort which O Doherty tipped over the bar. Buncrana substitute John O Loughlin then got a yellow for a late challenge on Greencastle’s Doherty who was fortunate to escape with a yellow for his reaction.

Kevin O Loughlin headed over for Buncrana while Jmaie McCormick  had a free tipped over by Eoghan O Doherty. The final chance of normal time fell to Buncrana when Ryan Curran advanced to nick the ball off a defender but at full stretch fired wide. In the first period of extra time Ryan Doherty’s looping cross was punched clear by JP O Doherty. Then on the stroke of half time substitute Kieran McDaid was needlessly upended  and McHugh fired the spot kick low to the keepers right.It looked all over for Greencastle mid way through the second period when James henry collected a second yellow but in the final minute Barr headed a Shaun Doherty free across for Matthew Henry to volley home from ten yards and force a shootout. Both teams had eight spot kicks  each with Gerard Boyle scoring the crucial one to give the Hearts the cup.

Man of the Match

For Greencastle keeper O Doherty, Michael Barr, Jamie McCormick and James henry were all prominent. Buncrana keeper O Doherty also had a good game with Gary Duffy, Kevin O Loughlin and Ryan Doherty were solid in defence. But the award went to tough tackling midfielder Ryan Curran who launched the Hearts forward  repeatedly and constantly broke down Greencastle attacks.

Buncrana Hearts


Credit Union Cup Final

Inishowen Football League

Sunday 14th May 

Buncrana Credit Union Cup Final  2pm

Buncrana Hearts  V Greencastle FC

W Harvey assisted by  C Doherty & J P Houten

Of the two Buncrana having finished runners up in the league will probably be the more satisfied with their season to date. However victory for either will mean a much more satisfying season. Greencastle on their way to this weekends final have overcome Rasheney (8-0), Carn (3-0) and Aileach (3-1) away in the semi final. The hearts had an impressive one nil win away to Glengad in the opening round followed by a penalty shootout win over neighbours Dunree after a one all draw.In their semi final they eased past Moville by three goals to nil. In their league clashes Buncrana won both by a goal to nil and by three goals to two at Castle Park. Pat McLaughlin will look to the likes of Ciaran Moore, Shaun Cavanagh, Shaun Doherty, Michael Barr and the Henry brothers as there key players. Buncrna on the other hand have a lot of younger players like Calvin Gallagher, Ryan Curran, Ben Bradley, John Timlin and Bart Wesoloski and some of them are in their first cup final so possibly nerves will be an issue.  But both camps have  enough experience in their ranks to guide he younger players through. All in all it should be a cracking encounter at HQ and one like a lot of the other finals this year which is too close to call.




Reports 13th & 14th May

Inishowen Football League

Saturday 13th May

Charlie O Donnell Cup Final

Aileach FC           1

Culdaff FC           4

Culdaff FC won their first ever Charlie O Donnell cup with a convincing and somewhat surprising four one win over an Aielach side who failed to perform on the day. Culdaff started well and in the opening minute Brian McCandless had an angled effort blocked by the legs of John Roulstone before Darren Mullarkey had a snapshot gathered at the second attempt on 6 minutes. Aileach then had a good spell with Caoimhin McFeely pouncing on hesitancy to slide the ball past Darragh McLaughlin but JJ Doherty was on hand to clear before Gavin Doherty had an effort deflected wide.  Their best chance came on 22 minutes when a superb pass from Gavin Doherty fed Keith McColgan inside the area on the left hand side and as McLaughlin advanced he lifted the ball over the keeper but high and over the bar. A minute later McColgan’s cross broke to Thomas McMackin who should have done better than fire wide from twenty yards. But Culdaff weathered the storm and broke the deadlock on 26 minutes when Eugene McLaughlin’s cross enticed keeper Roulstone to try and collect but Michael Coyle flicked on and Paul McLaughlin powered home a header to the empty net. Minutes later they had another clear chance after McCandless robbed a defender and laid the ball off for Eugene McLaughlin to fire just over an unguarded net from the edge of the area. An inswinging Darren Mullarkey corner on 32 minutes was allowed to drop at the back post for Dermot Diver to volley home from two yards  and double the lead and Culdaff were firmly in control. Just before the break Ryan Greene won the ball in midfield and released Michael Coyle who played a one two with McCandless but his effort was blocked at the expense of a corner. Culdaff had the first chance of the second period too when a deep Paul McLaughlin cross fell to Eugene McLaughlin who for the second time in the game blasted wide when very well placed. Aileach almost had  a chance but Anthony Doherty just failed to control a through ball. On the hour a superb run by Mullarkey took him fifty yards forward before unleashing a twenty five yards effort fly just wide. A minute later a superb Dillon Ruddy ball sent Coyle up the right and his perfectly judged cross was sidefooted home by McCandless. Aileach kept pressing and after a poor clearance Greene made a superb interception from Dermot Doherty’s through ball. On 66 minutes Darren McMonagle turned on the edge of the area and fired in a shot which took a deflection off a team mate. On 69 minutes Culdaff made it four when Coyle pounced on a defensive error and fired in a shot which was blocked on the line and Eugene McLaughlin hammered the loose ball into the far corner. Aileach did get a consolation when Gavin Doherty’s cross looped off the head of a defender and over keeper McLaughlin. Culdaff switched off at this stage and substitute Darren Gallagher stabbed wide from close . Then twice in a late attack the hit the bar when firstly substitute Stephen McKendry ‘s cross shot glanced off the bar and when they ball was returned Anthony Doherty’s header also came back off the bar. But Culdaff saw the remaining time out and the final whistle sparked wild celebrations.

Pictured is Bernard Gubbins presenting the Charlie O’Donnell Trophy to Dillon Ruddy Culdaff’s Captain

Man of the Match

Aileach will be disappointed with their performance  although Dermot Doherty in the second half and Gavin Doherty tried hard throughout. For Culdaff Ryan Greene, Conor Farren, Brian McCandless, Michael Coyle and Dillon Ruddy all had excellent games but the award goes to Darren Mullarkey who led the way with his raids forward, tackling and creativity from a deep left back slot.

Sunday  14th May  2017

Knockalla Caravans Senior Cup  Final

Glengad United                     0

Letterkenny Rovers              3

Glengad United ‘s season  ended on a night of rare dissappointment when a strong second half performance saw Letterkenny Rovers claim the Knockalla Caravans cup in Maginn Park. Having lost to Cockhill last year Glengad it was a case of déjà vu for Glengad when they faced Letterkenny. While Glengad were full of confidence after clinching the league and the Ulster Junior cup  there was very little by way of clear chances in the opening half.Both sides had half chances but the only clear chance in the opening period fell to Rovers’ Paul McVeigh midway through the half. Darren McElwaine done well to head a Lee Toland delivery back across goal and when it fell at the feet of McVeigh he looked destined to score. He turned and got his shot away but John Gerard McLaughlin was on hand to somehow clear the ball from his own line. Rovers upped the tempo in the restart and Lee Toland hit the crossbar with a well struck free from twenty five yards. Rovers then broke the deadlock on 59 minutes after a scramble in the box the ball fell to Brian McVeigh who rifled past Kevin McLaughlin from ten yards. Minutes later they doubled their advantage when McVeigh crossed for his brother Paul to score with a brilliant header at the back post. Both Kevin McGrath and Paul Boyle went close for Rovers  before Terence Doherty almost reduced the deficit only to be denied by a brilliant save from Rory Kelly. Rover sealed the tie late on when Steve Okakpu rolled his marker inside  the area and fired low past McLaughlin to seal a deserved win.


Man of the Match

Stephen McLaughlin,  Byrne and Terence Doherty all acquitted themselves well while Lee Toland, Brian McVeigh and Christy Conaghan impressed for Rovers. But the man of the match award goes to Paul McVeigh who caused the Glengad defence all sorts of trouble with his penetrative runs, abilty in the air, workrate and capped off with a superb header.

First Division Promotion Relegation Play Off 

Carrowmena FC                    1

Gleneely Colts                       6

As expected Gleneely Colts won this promotion relegation play off in the main due to a sterling first half display. They took an early lead after Cory O Brien won a header inside the area and broke onto the ball to calmly finish past Michael Noone.  A second goal followed on 18 minutes after a corner broke inside the area for Stephen McLaughlin to hammer low past Noone from fourteen yards. Midway through the half O Brien broke on the right and crossed for Dylan McDaid who cut across a defender but fired wide from eight yards. With Carrowmnea on the attack on the half hour a brilliant interception by John Doherty saw him then release Nathan McLaughlin in acres of space on the right and he squared for Ciaran White to slot home from close range. Gleneely made it four nil on 38 minutes when a McDaid corner broke off a defender and into the net at the front post. On the stroke of half time John Doherty ran onto a ball over the top to slot low past Noone and make it five nil. Carrowmena made a much better showing in the second half and Conor Lafferty fired across Adrian Duffy  and past the far post before an inswinging John McLaughlin corner came off the post. The goal of the game came on 77 minutes when Carrowmena’s Dane Doherty turned well twenty five yards out and fired a stunning effort to the top right hand corner. Gleneely  responded and when O Brien dispossessed a defender and lifted the ball over keeper Noone it broke for substitute Christy Smith to hammer the ball home. Carrowmena had the final chance when Mark Doherty broke on the right and fired in a shot which Duffy parried well.


Page 1 of 912345...Last »
Facebook Auto Publish Powered By :